• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Channel Awesome?

I don't mind NC, skits don't bother me. Anime Abandon surprisingly caught my interest, since I'm more of an old school otaku at heart and his reviews are always entertaining.

Shame about Spoony, his FF reviews were great. Depression is a bitch.

I could swear he was talking about some physical heart(?) condition one time in his vlogs, something about how doctor says he shouldn't drink energy drinks. Haven't seen any confirmation to this though.

All of that stuff was in the past year though, and it's been a while. 90's Kid finally returned for a gag, and he sometimes ends his videos with a joke and that's it. I imagine you haven't watched AT4W in a while. Linkara hasn't done a real storyline as of late.

I've been watching AT4W every week. Could've sworn that was much more recent.

PaulBizkit

I watched the Nostalgia Critic episode of Pokemon The Movie a few weeks ago and Doug is annoying as fuck. The way he complains is so obvious. I liked him back in 2011 but now it doesn't click with me at all.

Sooometimes i watch the rap critic, he's cool

Just went back through his archives. The last episode to feature a storyline was Godzilla:Kingdom of Monsters #4, which was less than 2 months ago.

You're right, I stand corrected. Looking at the previous episode though, I think that and Reagan's Raiders were just meant to reintroduce 90's Kid and Harvey Finevoice to the regular cast again, more then anything, since neither had been used in about a year since the episode aired.

Best movie review show on YouTube right now is 'movies with mikey'. Good analysis, funny and he actually likes movies. Crazy format right? I hope spoony gathered himself.

I only really watched Lindsay Ellis's stuff and she's better without them. The production values on her latest videos are really high.
It really has, she puts out some of my favourite analysis videos.

I liked some of the ATLA vlogs that Doug did but the Adventure Time and Steven Universe ones are severely lacking, mostly just being a poorly remembered recap of the episode and some minor thoughts.

Lagamorph

It still amazes me that despite everything that happened Spoony could so easily make a come back. If he just started making game/movie videos like he used to then his fan base would likely come flocking back and his Patreon numbers, whilst they might not hit $5k again, could easily surpass $2k/month.

Hell, he could just push out a DVD box set or digital purchase set of his archived material for $50 and it'd make bank.

If he ever made a comeback he would have to basically ban himself from Twitter though. It's not healthy for him and clearly just gets the worst of him completely riled up.

Kart94

Banned
Linkara is an utter embarrassment. He is everything that is wrong with the Channel Awesome style of reviewing. Quite a shame he is one of the only few comic book reviewers.

.JayZii

Banned
It just seemed like poor management, changes in video platforms and early outsized "internet personalities" creating their own bubble of drama tore the whole thing up. It was the quaint early steps on the path to current youtuber drama. I liked Lindsay Ellis, Hope Chapman and the occasional Spoony video, but everything else really made me cringe. Anything that was really skit heavy was just terrible and they all seemed to get more and more self indulgent as far as that was concerned as time went on. They really pissed a lot of people off though, because there is some absolutely vile shit said about ex channel awesome people out on the internet.
These works are made for the sake of pleasing the fans, not making an actually good piece of drama/comedy/whatever.
That's a terrible excuse to fall back on. "This has to look like a high school group video project because it's for the fans." I bet their fans would be even more pleased if they made an actually good piece of drama/comedy/whatever.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I always forget Channel Awesome is supposed to be a thing outside of Nostalgia Critic. Around the time im always thinking of tuning out of his videos, Nostalgiaween pops up and im a sucker for horror anything.

s_mirage

It still amazes me that despite everything that happened Spoony could so easily make a come back. If he just started making game/movie videos like he used to then his fan base would likely come flocking back and his Patreon numbers, whilst they might not hit $5k again, could easily surpass $2k/month.

He could, but I think he'd have to start producing content frequently, and for a period of some time, before a lot of fans would start putting money down again. IIRC, the last video he did (whenever that was) seemed to have absolutely no effect on his Patreon numbers. I'd read that as the majority of his fans simply not trusting him to produce anything any more.

Uzumaki Goku

He could, but I think he'd have to start producing content frequently, and for a period of some time, before a lot of fans would start putting money down again. IIRC, the last video he did (whenever that was) seemed to have absolutely no effect on his Patreon numbers. I'd read that as the majority of his fans simply not trusting him to produce anything any more.

Spoony needs to get off Twitter and make a video explaining everything

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Thinking about it, Channel Awesome has always had some sort of controversy.

The earliest being the firing of Daniel Rizzo, AKA The Aussie Guy. He was fired with no explanation given to the fanbase and completely wiped from the site excluding videos that would be difficult to do so. Turns out he was going around calling Ellis a slut.

Not to mention the time they hired The Amazing Atheist. Yeah, that was a thing for a while.

I think the pinnacle of the mismanagement fuck-ups (outside of firing key people like the PR person and the whole Lupa fuck-up) was the handling of Blistered Thumbs, the spin-off video game site. Early on it had big people like JonTron and PeanutButterGamer, but they left and all that was left was a bunch of nobodies and terrible text reviews (Wonderful 101 offended me! 3 out of 10!) Hell I'm surprised they didn't attempt to bring in the Irate Gamer (Guru Larry did do an April Fool's joke about that, but so many people got butthurt so it was taken down)

Speaking of, Guru Larry is still part of the site. Somehow he's managed to stay on. I guess CA's management is still better than ScrewAttack's. Hell, ScrewAttack couldn't even keep the AVGN attached.

CA drama is when I first began to think the Internet was a mistake.

It felt so weird to me, and people just airing out their dirty laundry like that was so strange.

Linkara is an utter embarrassment. He is everything that is wrong with the Channel Awesome style of reviewing. Quite a shame he is one of the only few comic book reviewers.

Yeah, I don't like Linkara. His approach to bad comics, all the exaggerated vitriol and wanting them to "burn" is just wrong. They didn't shoot your dog, they deserve at worst bemusent and mockery of their absurdities. Mr. Kitty's Stupid Comics blog was a better approach.

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/

Uzumaki Goku

Thinking about it, Channel Awesome has always had some sort of controversy.

The earliest being the firing of Daniel Rizzo, AKA The Aussie Guy. He was fired with no explanation given to the fanbase and completely wiped from the site excluding videos that would be difficult to do so. Turns out he was going around calling Ellis a slut.

Not to mention the time they hired The Amazing Atheist. Yeah, that was a thing for a while.

I think the pinnacle of the mismanagement fuck-ups (outside of firing key people like the PR person and the whole Lupa fuck-up) was the handling of Blistered Thumbs, the spin-off video game site. Early on it had big people like JonTron and PeanutButterGamer, but they left and all that was left was a bunch of nobodies and terrible text reviews (Wonderful 101 offended me! 3 out of 10!) Hell I'm surprised they didn't attempt to bring in the Irate Gamer (Guru Larry did do an April Fool's joke about that, but so many people got butthurt so it was taken down)

Speaking of, Guru Larry is still part of the site. Somehow he's managed to stay on. I guess CA's management is still better than ScrewAttack's. Hell, ScrewAttack couldn't even keep the AVGN attached.

AVGN was that site

Lulubop

This vid by Miser Metokur sums up how TGWG messed up big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8

There's one for Spoony too, though that's a bit off topic, somewhat related to Awesome Channel before Spoony's eventual downfall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KB5R73YGuY&t=4s

Both vids are pretty good going into detail about each person rise and fall.

This alt right, racist, gamer gator is worse than any of the channel awesome dudes. Stop linking his shitty page.

I think the pinnacle of the mismanagement fuck-ups (outside of firing key people like the PR person and the whole Lupa fuck-up) was the handling of Blistered Thumbs, the spin-off video game site.

Tom having his business become a success and ending The Game Heroes (due to lack of time) was probably a hit to BT as well.

The ScrewAttack talk reminds me of the ti.es when I first got to the site, with shows like Captain S, and their top 10s.

mreddie

CA drama is when I first began to think the Internet was a mistake.

It felt so weird to me, and people just airing out their dirty laundry like that was so strange.

After the Noah thing, shit started turning and then 2013 happened where everything went to shit pretty much.

Everyone blamed one of another, some people hated others and some got lost in the shuffle.

I still watch Brad Jones, Angry Joe, Linkara, Anime Abandoned, and a few others (particularly still follow Allison and Phelan's channels). I recall Brad hinting on more than one occasion (recently, too) that he still hasn't gotten paid for his inclusion in the League of Super Critics.

Falcs

Banned
This alt right, racist, gamer gator is worse than any of the channel awesome dudes. Stop linking his shitty page.

Damn I really liked those two vids and subbed to the guy because of them.
Is there something I should know???

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Damn I really liked those two vids and subbed to the guy because of them.
Is there something I should know???

Mr Metokur is The Internet Aristocrat. He's one of the major catalysts for Gamergate.

Kin5290

Mr Metokur is The Internet Aristocrat. He's one of the major catalysts for Gamergate.
I didn't know that. I just browsed his channel videos and immediately saw shit whining about SJWs, so I didn't bother watching him.

Let's not promote asshole regressives and anti-feminists, yeah?

mhayes86

LordKat is a piece of shit. Is he still alive?

Which is a shame since I loved his "Until We Win" series.

TGWTG, Spoony, JewWario, and LordKat were the content creators I enjoyed the most, but I eventually stopped viewing Spoony's content, because he never seemed to have anything positive to say in his vlogs. I slowly stopped visiting the site after Doug revived TGWTG. I didn't particularly care for the new style or skits.

When I heard about the drama a few years ago, it was sad to hear that Spoony and LordKat were awful. I continued viewing JewWario's content, and was heartbroken to find out about his suicide shortly after his last video.

GamerJM

Banned
Mister Metokur might be one of the worst YouTubers of all-time solely for all of the real life damage he's indirectly caused as a result of GamerGate. His non-GG videos mostly just seem like some Encyclopedia Dramatica shit of mocking easy targets on the internet in the most mean-spirited and tasteless way possible.

I agree that he can be annoying, and he's an example of a "hateful nerd" online, but I admit I enjoy some of his videos, especially his History of Power Rangers. Plus he seems like a nice enough guy based off the few interviews he's given. I liked seeing him in the Midnight Screenings videos on Power Rangers / CHIPS from a month back too.

Mister Metokur might be one of the worst YouTubers of all-time solely for all of the real life damage he's indirectly caused as a result of GamerGate. His non-GG videos mostly just seem like some Encyclopedia Dramatica shit of mocking easy targets on the internet in the most mean-spirited and tasteless way possible.

He changed accounts specifically because he realised how much shit he was in. Spineless piece of garbage with no original content to his name except for anti-feminism ranting in to a microphone.

Top Bottom