• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Michael Pachter?

sangreal

Perkel

Banned
GAF speaks a lot how it don't care about patcher comments...
GAF now is worried that there is not patcher comments...

Stockholm Syndrome

dc89

Thing is, when you make bold predictions, and you're wrong or even have a chance of being wrong, people will tell you.

I don't feel sorry for the guy, I'd quite like to do what he does*. I'm sure he doesn't lose sleep over these kinda threads.

*I'd try to be right sometimes.

AOC83

Banned
Didn´t he predict the One would play used games and don´t have forced online?

So he´s probably hiding.

reson8or

to who?

I'm pretty sure both the PS4 and Xbone will be sold out of their initial allotments during the holiday launch window

Apologist to the people who follow him and care about what he thinks, e.g. the very people who put MSFT in the market position it's in today, the people who play and love games.

Selling out of launch consoles doesn't mean anything. Shifting the focus of your company and revealing the Trojan Horse for what it is, does.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hold on. I just rewatched this prediction video and he was a hundred percent right about everything. Bundled kinect, always on, a woman on stage. So what predictions is the op trying to chastise him for? edit: ah, for the xbox winning against the ps4. well i dont think it will but it's waaaaaaaaay the hell to early for this thread. also, once again, look at the hype thread. nobody saw a press conference like this coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7QTNRr0aCA

UberTag

He was on NPR yesterday on a bland "the newest Xbox was announced!" segment doing the bit about how families will buy this so their kids can talk to grandma on kinect/skype. It seems like there are way cheaper/easier to teach grandma how to use devices for that but whatever...
Dude, don't knock Grandma.
Skyping Grandma is the killer app that will put Microsoft over the top in the bid for console dominance.
Everything else is secondary.

ironcreed

Banned
He is probably taking a break, while enjoying a fresh drink from the next water cooler.

TAPuwg7.gif

Haunted

He likes it. It's just not the headline that he does.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...an-it-can-chew
Wow, Pachter's really doubling down on XB1.

"I'm actually pretty happy with what I saw. I don't think this is going to be a poor seller; I think the odds of this thing selling poorly are pretty low unless it's a thousand bucks."
(He predicts an MSRP of $400 and there'll be subsidization options for the hardware from cable providers).

On the lack of a core gaming focus:
"It's very much an entertainment focused box. They only gave us a glimpse of games. 15 exclusives and 8 new IPs, that's pretty cool... But they kind of did exactly upside-down what Sony did. Sony was all games all the time and this was all entertainment, saying games would be at E3. The gaming press was really excited by the games focus by Sony, but I think this has more mass appeal and I think E3 is a games focused show so I think maybe that strategy is smarter."

"I think the mainstream press will be excited by this. It is a nice interface. That's the thing I've been talking about for a while - if it gets rid of your cable box, then it's interesting. If the only thing you have in your living room is an Xbox, that's pretty powerful. Technologically it's doable right now."

On the lack of indies:
"It's great for the development community but really not that many people buy them, so I don't know... I think Sony wants to win on game content and maybe they will but we don't really know what Microsoft has got yet."
Positive outlook on every front.

Banned
Pachter is most likely shocked at how badly his favourite company dropped the ball instead of the bomb.

Dunlop

Apologist to the people who follow him
The world is a black and white place you you huh? He's just wrong and the pot bangers on Gaf are right?

Shifting the focus of your company and revealing the Trojan Horse for what it is, does.
MS has literally said this was their plan from when they released the OG Xbox

Ocho

Well the next generation hasn't even started, not one PS4 or Xbox One has been sold. He may very well be right.

The Pachter hate on GAF is embarrassing.

Exactly this. Just because of poor reception of the unveiling by a bunch of hardcore crowd doesn't really mean anything in the real market. Look at the Wii.

Hold on. I just rewatched this prediction video and he was a hundred percent right about everything. Bundled kinect, always on, a woman on stage. So what predictions is the op trying to chastise him for?

Those weren't predictions, most of those were info he already knew from inside sources. Maybe not the woman thing.

Ushae

Banned
He's taking a break? Shit, give him a rest guys. Didn't he predict that Skype would feature on the next console and that Kinect would be bundled with it? Who said he was wrong again?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
He'll just say that the device will be successful, that we're all making a big deal out of the used game issue when it's not an issue, and say we can't make any real judgments until E3.

reson8or

The world is a black and white place you you huh? He's just wrong and the pot bangers on Gaf are right?

MS has literally said this was their plan from when they released the OG Xbox

Not at all, but in this instance, its fairly clear what is happening.

I am quite aware, but many are not.

Raven77

The guy does have a real job to do. It's earnings season so he is probably just very busy. Also its only been a few days.

That or MS made him "disappear" during his tour after the tent-event.

Haunted

he doesnt say anything about used games there and he's taking a fairly neutral stance on the news.
Well, that's what he's been asked about and commented on. No need to speculate what he's going to say about the conference, this is what he said.

I think a lot of people aren't actually reading the thread and are overlooking neshoba's post which contains an article with statements from Pachter post-conference. I tried to make it more visible with my post but people are too quick to post their potshots at Pachter instead of reading the thread. >_>

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Well, that's what he's been asked about and commented on. No need to speculate what he's going to say about the conference, this is what he said.

I think a lot of people aren't actually reading the thread and are overlooking neshoba's post which contains what a lot of people are presuming missing.

i read the post that you linked, all the pachter quotes are reasonable.

Haunted

is the mainstream media trashing it? the new york post (or was it times) had a fairly positive article about it.
I don't think the mainstream will jump all over the X1 because it's got neat TV remote functions and smartglass. Meanwhile, Microsoft's focus on these non-gaming features and anti-consumer stance for games will net them a lot of bad rep with their [previous?] core audience.

I know Pachter usually talks about the US market, but I can tell you right now that the XO trying to push live TV and movies and Netflix and NFL and ESPN will have an extremely hard time in Europe. That said, we'll obviously have to wait and see what games they'll actually bring at E3, that'll have a significant impact on the gaming demographic (though the mainstream, not so much).

I don't think the mainstream will jump all over the X1 because it's got neat TV remote functions and smartglass. Meanwhile, Microsoft's focus on these non-gaming features and anti-consumer stance for games will net them a lot of bad rep with their [previous?] core audience.

I know Pachter usually talks about the US market, but I can tell you right now that the XO will have an extremely hard time in Europe.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see what they'll bring at E3, that'll have a significant impact on the gaming demographic (though the mainstream, not so much).

I was reading CNN and Fox News and the impressions were definitely positive. They generally talked about the specs, some of the games, the updated controller, but they spent a lot of time focusing on the TV features.

The TV is still a very popular space. Plus, Apple is rumored to launch a new TV product potentially this year that could change the game. People should not underestimate that, especially when Google and Samsung are also making big plays to control the TV.

As for Pachter, he's probably busy with his day job. Hell, maybe he decided to take a vacation while he was in Redmond.

He was wrong?

Didn't he predict that the XBone will work with your cable service, Skype will be a big selling point and that Kinect will be bundled?

This

The reveal was more entertainment oriented as he predicted and we'll be seeing 15 XBone exclusives at E3 half of which are new IP.

So far he's been right on the money.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
He was wrong?

Didn't he predict that the XBone will work with your cable service, Skype will be a big selling point and that Kinect will be bundled?

come to think of it, i do think i heard the cable and skype stuff coming from pachter first.

Man

Didn't he put his faith on the Xbone being a native DVR machine that cable companies would sell? This didn't happen.

Top Bottom