• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Michael Pachter?

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
SniperHunter is kind of a jerk, though. I didn't say Kotaku was wrong about always on, actually said I believed it because Adam Orth got fired. I called Kotaku's prediction that there were cancelled games for Xbox One "dumb, dumb, dumb", and asked "who comes up with this shit?". When told it was Kotaku, I said "they print this shit and people click on it?" I have since apologized to Stephen Totilo for mocking his site, but I still think that Kotaku article was dumb.

Yes, I have a day job. I got to Seattle at 12:44 a.m. Tuesday morning, up for Best Buy earnings at 4:15, wrote a note and went to MS at 9 a.m. I left the MS event at 1:45 for a 3:15 flight to LA, landed at 6 and met John Ricitiello for dinner. I actually went home, wrote two notes, got to bed at 11:30 and was up at 4:30 for our morning call, then breakfast with another CEO, then worked all day and home at 5:30. Today, I have GameStop and Pandora reporting, and I haven't checked Twitter since I left Seattle.

I opened NeoGAF to read about what you all think of the Xbox One, and am surprised at the general sense of entitlement (the dreaded "E" word) among so many of you. As a group, NeoGAF appears to have written off the Xbox One because they didn't show enough games, and because you all already know how to watch TV and use Skype. I used the term "entitlement" because the general sense on the Internetz is that nobody believes Microsoft will actually deliver 15 exclusives, of which 8 are new IP, within the launch window. The entitled ones demand that they be shown everything, and that they be shown it NOW.

It is shocking to me to see this reaction. If Phil Spencer said there are 15 games, my guess is that he can name all of them. Articles on the Internetz calling Microsoft's showing "underwhelming" are just a bunch of whining. The box was spectacular, it does a lot of things that many consumers will find appealing, and oh, by the way, there is apparently a lot of new software. I am pretty sure that Microsoft will tell us about its games some day before they come out, and am equally sure we'll hear a lot more about them at E3. But since that's 3 weeks away, the wait is just unbearable.

Yes, I'm around. Yes, I'm busy. And yes, many of you on NeoGAF are entitled whiners.

I'll probably be gone for the rest of the day.

SniperHunter is kind of a jerk, though. I didn't say Kotaku was wrong about always on, actually said I believed it because Adam Orth got fired. I called Kotaku's prediction that there were cancelled games for Xbox One "dumb, dumb, dumb", and asked "who comes up with this shit?". When told it was Kotaku, I said "they print this shit and people click on it?" I have since apologized to Stephen Totilo for mocking his site, but I still think that Kotaku article was dumb.

Yes, I have a day job. I got to Seattle at 12:44 a.m. Tuesday morning, up for Best Buy earnings at 4:15, wrote a note and went to MS at 9 a.m. I left the MS event at 1:45 for a 3:15 flight to LA, landed at 6 and met John Ricitiello for dinner. I actually went home, wrote two notes, got to bed at 11:30 and was up at 4:30 for our morning call, then breakfast with another CEO, then worked all day and home at 5:30. Today, I have GameStop and Pandora reporting, and I haven't checked Twitter since I left Seattle.

I opened NeoGAF to read about what you all think of the Xbox One, and am surprised at the general sense of entitlement (the dreaded "E" word) among so many of you. As a group, NeoGAF appears to have written off the Xbox One because they didn't show enough games, and because you all already know how to watch TV and use Skype. I used the term "entitlement" because the general sense on the Internetz is that nobody believes Microsoft will actually deliver 15 exclusives, of which 8 are new IP, within the launch window. The entitled ones demand that they be shown everything, and that they be shown it NOW.

It is shocking to me to see this reaction. If Phil Spencer said there are 15 games, my guess is that he can name all of them. Articles on the Internetz calling Microsoft's showing "underwhelming" are just a bunch of whining. The box was spectacular, it does a lot of things that many consumers will find appealing, and oh, by the way, there is apparently a lot of new software. I am pretty sure that Microsoft will tell us about its games some day before they come out, and am equally sure we'll hear a lot more about them at E3. But since that's 3 weeks away, the wait is just unbearable.

Yes, I'm around. Yes, I'm busy. And yes, many of you on NeoGAF are entitled whiners.

You are misreading what people don't like about the Xbone. It is the anti-used games policy and required internet every 24 hours that people hate. Everyone knows the games are coming at E3.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Everyone was talking about those things, so either someone knew and leaked, or he heard it and just repeated. Since he has poor judgment on what to believe, logic says it's inside info.

he acknowledges that there were rumours of always online swirling around and he decided to believe in them while most of gaf thought it wouldn't happen.

what are your requirements for a valid prediction? no rumours, no analysis, just pulling a new idea out of no where?

That's a lot of entitlement for one post. It only took me one to get me banned. And calling us whiners too. Class.

But we get it, everyone is wrong in being concerned about our rights being taken away/diminished except for Microsoft and you. Also forgive us, members on a gaming forum, to be upset about the lack of games and seeing the biggest focus was about freaking TV, in an age where less and less people are watching TV.

Krackatoa

I don't think any of us care about games. We know they have games. I can't see myself buying this thing because of the persistent requirement for internet connectivity. I run campus events for students, and I have to cart around multiple consoles to and from campus. Some get left in storage overnight for events. I can't get internet on-campus because consoles can't interface with the network.

So I'm fucked if I try to run XBox One related events. I have a hard enough time dealing with the 360's DLC license system for titles like SSFIV.

This won't be so much of a problem when I only have one One on hand, but once we start running multiple games on multiple consoles (Our biggest event had 16 stations), we're going to be toast. Sixteen separate online accounts, just to run one event?

god damn lol.

I don't think people are whining because of the lack of games... it's just that if you think a minute about all the kinect and voice and gesture stuff... the odds of it working perfectly is super slim.

The minute when your cat farts and switches your game over to a skinemax film, you might not be so happy with this new box.

Pretty spot on. People responding that the XB1 complaints are primarily about the anti-used game practices (which aren't even defined yet) must be reading a different forum. But the big point is that I really feel GAF is grossly underestimating the market appeal of many of the features shown in the "no games" reveal and especially the Kinect demonstrations afterward.

Talk about not analyzing the current situation correctly. And I'm usually a fan. You may need a vacation.

jaypah

I swear I will never understand peoples obsession with this dude. Or that hate. Outside of that I'm not going to get banned for thread whining but...yeah, this is a thread.

For what it's worth, Pachter's predictions about the XBox One have been pretty accurate. he stated last year that TV integration would be a big feature and that Microsoft would heavily market the Skype app. Both were on the money. He also predicted built in enhanced Kinect. Now, Kinect, Skype, etc., those are easy predictions to make, but just as many people had the wrong predictions on the MS.

Things that probably won't come to fruition are the $70 game price tag... can't see that happening. And a $99 subsidized model... Maybe in time, but not at launch.

KAL2006

Banned

Nice I'll give you my opinions of why I think Xbox One will not sell perhaps you can address these in one of your shows.

Always online/Used game DRM
Always on line is real, not a 3 minute rule but a 24 hour rule. I think this is a big deal. Many people I know do not connect their systems online. If you are living in in dorms/student halls, and their intwernet blocks PSN/XBL, say good by to playing games for 3 years of your university life. I remember back when I went to UIni, we used to play FIFA/COD offline with mates and have a couple of beeers before we go out partying (thats how Uni life in in th eUK by the way). Other countries and places that don't have internet connection will also won't be able to play XB1 games. Tournaments and events we won't be able to play due to used game policy.

15 exclusives
Do you really beleive those 15 games are actually going to be big games. I expect a lot of Kinect and digital games. In fact if you do some research we know exactly what devs MS have.

TV feature
This is actually not a big deal. You still need a cable box. All XB1 does is switch to TV with voice control which you can simply do now with the remote. PS4 will pretty much have all the main media features covered, and I am sure that will have multitask features, as well and instant on sleep mode.

Kazerei

Banned

What did Riccitello order for dinner? Give us the juicy details :p

sTeLioSco

Banned
He couldn't keep dat spin, by the end of the XBONE conference he just vanished into the air

screenshot2013-05-23a01sn1.png

skype was useless all this time,finally with xbox1 it has reason to exist.....

he acknowledges that there were rumours of always online swirling around and he decided to believe in them while most of gaf thought it wouldn't happen.

what are your requirements for a valid prediction? no rumours, no analysis, just pulling a new idea out of no where?

Most of gaf didn't think it would happen? I was so sure it would, I guess I didn't bother checking people's opinions. Besides, that rumor was coming from everywhere.

Analisis is fine, rumors are fine, I don't don't see Pachter doing an good analisis based on just rumors, since most analisis he does not based on inside info comes out wrong.

Note I do not bother to read everything he says so I'm sure some stuff he did get right. At least I hope so.

Desty

Banned

Ok, the lack of games will be fixed at E3.
How about some of these other issues (from another thread):

"Confirmed" Issues:
- Forced online activation for all games
- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related focus
- Live TV services available in US only at launch, requires separate device
- No self publishing for indie devs
- No headset included
- Over emphasis on Kinect interface
- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360 games or accessories.
- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation.

Hardware:
- DDR3 confirmed instead of GDDR5
- Potentially Only 5GB of the 8GB ram available for games
- Only HDMI for output.
- 3 OS's? At best, confusing, at worst, a nightmare.
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function
- Non-replaceable Hard Drive (though not as much an issue, as external drives are supported similar to other consoles)
- Console uses a large external power brick (Conflirmed by DF/Wired)
- Console is not designed to be placed on it's side

Problems with the announcement itself:
- EA games prerendered using in game assets
- COD looked less than stellar
- Quantum break reveal was confusing

Unconfirmed issues that still need clarification:
- How much is this gonna cost?
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer?
- How the hell does game borrowing work?
- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile?
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hrs to play games? (Phil Harrison says one thing, ms backtracked a bit later)

"Confirmed" Issues:
- No headset included
- Microsoft's failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ's, vague responses, misinformation.

Hardware:
- Only HDMI for output.
- Non-replaceable Hard Drive (though not as much an issue, as external drives are supported similar to other consoles)

- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hrs to play games? (Phil Harrison says one thing, ms backtracked a bit later)

OMG (E)ntitled!

QaaQer

Are there people who are upset ms didn't name all 15 games?

I think people were upset because they sold the the xbone as a hand waving tv remote with ir blaster, fantasy football league aid, and EA sports machine without actually addressing anything that people care about, eg used games, tech inside.

Its weird how industry types think this thing is so awesome when regular people are mostly meh or fuck that.

Spartaner

Banned

"Confirmed" Issues:
- No headset included

Hardware:
- Only HDMI for output.

theres no way hes anwsering this

Paches

Lack of games isn't even in the top 5 of problems with the Xbox One reveal. Hell, the reveal itself wasn't the real issue. It was what was said afterwards about used games and always online stuff.

Surely you can see that?

jaypah

"Confirmed" Issues:
- No headset included

Hardware:
- Only HDMI for output.

Some of these are actual issues that need fixing. Some don't apply only to X1. Some I can understand folks being concerned about but I dont care one way or another, like the power brick or console placed on its side. But all in all a very well put together list. MS has its work cut out because this shit isn't going to stay only on gaming sites. Mainstream perception is at stake and they clearly didn't see this coming.

I should have checked the video before saying anything. Sorry!

Desty

Banned
Some of these are actual issues that need fixing. Some don't apply only to X1. Some I can understand folks being concerned about but I dont care one way or another, like the power brick or console placed on its side. But all in all a very well put together list. MS has its work cut out because this shit isn't going to stay only on gaming sites. Mainstream perception is at stake and they clearly didn't see this coming.

If Pachter thinks this reveal went smoothly then he is either A) way out of touch or B) way too cozy with MS.

AHA-Lambda

You haven't read enough articles then, cos that wasn't the issue. The used games debate is the issue.

KAL2006

Banned
I honestly think Pachter believes this TV focus, Kinect, Skype and etc will work out for MS, and always online, used games and etc won't matter. He is entitled to his opinion I guess but I really think this time his prediction will be wrong. Always online, used games are huge issues, he probably thinks NeoGAF folks will only care about everythings and we are entitled nerds, but trust me a lot of the negatives will effect the XB1 on a mainstream level, I bet Pachter is falling for all this casual focus and thinks they have a hit on their hands perhaps he thinks the XB1 is going to be big like a casual Apple product, but I disagree. Out of all my casual friends, none of them care for TV features, a lot of them don't connect their systems online as much, a lot of them play their game around each others house, a lot of them buy used games. I think PS4 will also have skype except you cannot Skype while gaming which isnt a big deal, you don't need to multitask, I have Skype multitask feature on my phone and I have never used it, I don't see why I would want to Skype and browse the web or play games at the same time on my phone, if I never used it on my phone, I doubt I will do it on the XB1.

EDIT:
I'd also like to that, Pachter your prediction seem really US centric. I live in the UK, they won't have TV features here, also even if they plan to in the future it won't work with my TV, as the TV itself is what I use for freeview as it has it built in (a lot of TVs have in the UK), what this means is the TV doesn't have a HDMI out to put in the HDMI input for the XB1.

Are there people who are upset ms didn't name all 15 games?

I think people were upset because they sold the the xbone as a hand waving tv remote with ir blaster, fantasy football league aid, and EA sports machine without actually addressing anything that people care about, eg used games, tech inside.

Its weird how industry types think this thing is so awesome when regular people are mostly meh or fuck that.

Well to be fair we're not "regular people", we're enthusiasts. I personally think that the One is going to sell really well to the masses, especially if it's offered on subscription through cable providers.

I'll wait for E3 before deciding but right now I'm not really interested in where MS is going with their next-gen box.

AkuMifune

Banned
We poked the bear and got called entitled. Welp, I'm just glad Kinect games count as exclusives.

I was right about that bag of crack.

QaaQer

Well to be fair we're not "regular people", we're enthusiasts. I personally think that the One is going to sell really well to the masses, especially if it's offered on subscription through cable providers.

I'll wait for E3 before deciding but right now I'm not really interested in where MS is going with their next-gen box.

Maybe. I just don't see what the hook is for consumers. What features would make people excited that aren't into gaming? I fail to see the awesomeness. Although to be fair, maybe Pach etc are looking at its awesome potential as a revenue stream for ms.

Cornbread78

"Confirmed" Issues:
- No headset included

Hardware:
- Only HDMI for output.

Entitled whiner you are for sure.....

braves01

Banned

tl;dr I hang out with CEOs and you guys are just entitled whiners who are wrong.

Now I'm certain that Xbox One is going to bomb horribly.

farisr

Michael, I watch every single new show you put out, don't get the hate that some gaffers direct at you (and the stupid "where's pachter now" posts assuming you have no life or something and ignoring the stuff you get right). But you're dead wrong (if you're implying that the majority of users are complaining about those things). Most of the disappointment/frustrations in regards to the Xbox One has little to do with the reveal at all over here.

Majority of it is centered around the information that came trickling through after the reveal, regarding the fee system for preowned games (effectively not allowing you to buy a single game for the household if there is more than one console and more than one user without paying extra), something unprecedented for disc based games on consoles. The other big one being the confirmed online authentication system as well which ensures that when the servers go down (which they will inevitably, these games will no longer be playable, not to mention potential cases of not being able to play if your internet is down etc.)

Not saying that some of the disappointment isn't coming from people who wanted games to be shown off, but those are the minority compared to the ones who are actually expressing their disappointment in regards to certain things MS is doing with the console.

Most people here knew that MS was saving their games for E3 before the reveal event started, but due to the issues that have arisen in regards to the console after the reveal, to many of these people it won't matter if they reveal 20 brand new IPs at E3 since their main issue with MS/Xbox One doesn't have anything to do with how many games they have in development.

This new console is taking too many steps back and not enough forward for the gamers.

Also, Xbox One despite looking promising dopped the ball in many of its features that could've been big that were shown to us in the reveal. I can think of two specific example right now.

- No announcement of DVR functionality with the TV feature. Repeatedly made a case to say "Live TV" "Live TV" which pretty much implies that there is no DVR functionality. (only announced such functionality specifically for games)

-The fact that it still needs a cable box and other devices to actually take over (some of) their functions. What happened to being the "one" and only device you need for entertainment in the living room?

Yes, I have a day job.

I guess we all know that. The question "Where is Pach? Is he ok?!?!?!" I guess was more of a, "Is he maybe as underwhelmed as we were, but to the point that it left him speechless?" because, well you know. You are one of the more vocal ones.

It's not about "we don't believe there will be 15 new IPs", and for the smarter ones who aren't just here on GAF for the fun .gifs, trolling and meltdowns, it's not even about the lackluster presentation of games. Because a lot of us who aren't into this childish ConsoleWarz bullcrap realize that with E3 just 3 weeks after this reveal, and Sony not revealing their box itself yet, MicroSoft needs to keep some aces up their sleeves.

But the thing that's so disappointing about you and your post is not even you attacking GAF as a bunch of whining entitled brats. No I get that. There are enough users here on GAF that dish it out against you and get really disrespectful and maybe even act like entitled brats.

The thing that's so disappointing about your post is that you as often cherrypick the dumb or hurtful posts that are easy to retaliate. Not the one that may lead to a fruitful discussion or just and exchange of the mindset. Especially because you are in the position of being an business analyst we think you should show some kind of interest to what... well maybe not the big chunk of games customers think about the presentation, but a subset of it.

So to put you on the spot: What about the always-on (24H or always on is just semantics) requirement? What about the still unresolved handling of second-hand games?

How do you personally feel about these things and how do you professionally think about these things in terms of effects for customers, MicroSoft, publishers and retailers?

The box was spectacular, it does a lot of things that many consumers will find appealing,

For 400 bucks? Or if they already have an Xbox 360 with Kinect? In the end it's only another additional box because it didn't get rid of the requirement of the box supplying the signal. And the DVR of that box will still have to be used "manually". It feels as if XboxOne with AppleTV in the crosshair forgot that it is kanabalizing the 360.... or maybe the other way around.

And lets not start on the markets outside of the US.

SamuraiX-

He did call that Xbox One would be realizing the goal that Microsoft wanted with the original Xbox being a media entertainment system rather than a video game console, so I do give him props for that.

Pach, about those 15 games--you have to admit this industry has a problem delivering on problems like that. You can forgive us for expecting one or two to be outright cancelled, and another 3-4 delayed. Of the remaining that do make it out in the "launch window," 2-3 are likely to be Kinect-predominated family/casual fare that you know doesn't get much uptake here on GAF. We're left with what, Halo 5 and a handful of others? Not that that number is horrible or anything, but it's a far cry from a full 15 exciting new core titles to be drooling over.

Top Bottom