• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Michael Pachter?

Haunted

I am not a fan of always connected, think it's intrusive, and think that it raises privacy concerns. I think Mad Catz needs to make a flap that can be placed over the Kinect camera so we can be sure the camera is off when we want it to be. Clearly, the always connected requirement will limit Xbox One penetration in places that have poor broadband infrastructure, and will limit accessibility for people who can't afford broadband.

I agree wholeheartedly on the used issue, and have told Microsoft as much directly. I think it is dumb, dumb, dumb to limit access to used content, and think Microsoft will lose more by doing so than it can ever hope to gain. I think this has been poorly communicated by them, have told them so, and expect them to correct this soon, certainly by E3.
That's fair enough and it's nice to see you actually address some of the more interesting points and engage with some of it. Can't hate on that.

I think these issues will be a bigger deal than you make them out to be, but eh, we'll see how much money MS will throw at the marketing to snag less informed customers. No one I know would get excited about TV features and non-gaming related services (even if they were as useful and readily available here as they are in the US, which they're not), so I guess my reaction as a European will automatically be more subdued than a US reaction to Microsoft's plans.

I will never understand the hate GAF has for Pachter.
Don't generalise like that. There are plenty of GAFers who want to hear his opinion and want to engage in discussions with Pachter. Not everyone is an ad-hoc attack spewing hater (and the mods generally do well to remove these from the pool sooner rather than later).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
One thing I don't get Michael is how you can be so bearish on Vita and 3DS because of Apple, Google and Samsung, yet so bullish on Xbone despite Apple, Google and Samsung.

Besides, the interactive TV market looks like a niche, a hobby for Apple, a modest success for Google. Do you foresee a sudden big demand on that market?

Dipswitch

Ah, nothing more heartwarming than seeing Michael extract grudging respect from the GAF masses.

Keep up the good work sir. I think you're a boon to the community.

statham

Michael Pachter ‏@michaelpachter 1m

This was a long week, having a glass of 2004 Mitolo G.A.M. Shiraz, will have a cigar after dinner. Happy weekend fellow babies

Hes Back!

SniperHunter is kind of a jerk, though. I didn't say Kotaku was wrong about always on, actually said I believed it because Adam Orth got fired. I called Kotaku's prediction that there were cancelled games for Xbox One "dumb, dumb, dumb", and asked "who comes up with this shit?". When told it was Kotaku, I said "they print this shit and people click on it?" I have since apologized to Stephen Totilo for mocking his site, but I still think that Kotaku article was dumb.

Yes, I have a day job. I got to Seattle at 12:44 a.m. Tuesday morning, up for Best Buy earnings at 4:15, wrote a note and went to MS at 9 a.m. I left the MS event at 1:45 for a 3:15 flight to LA, landed at 6 and met John Ricitiello for dinner. I actually went home, wrote two notes, got to bed at 11:30 and was up at 4:30 for our morning call, then breakfast with another CEO, then worked all day and home at 5:30. Today, I have GameStop and Pandora reporting, and I haven't checked Twitter since I left Seattle.

I opened NeoGAF to read about what you all think of the Xbox One, and am surprised at the general sense of entitlement (the dreaded "E" word) among so many of you. As a group, NeoGAF appears to have written off the Xbox One because they didn't show enough games, and because you all already know how to watch TV and use Skype. I used the term "entitlement" because the general sense on the Internetz is that nobody believes Microsoft will actually deliver 15 exclusives, of which 8 are new IP, within the launch window. The entitled ones demand that they be shown everything, and that they be shown it NOW.

It is shocking to me to see this reaction. If Phil Spencer said there are 15 games, my guess is that he can name all of them. Articles on the Internetz calling Microsoft's showing "underwhelming" are just a bunch of whining. The box was spectacular, it does a lot of things that many consumers will find appealing, and oh, by the way, there is apparently a lot of new software. I am pretty sure that Microsoft will tell us about its games some day before they come out, and am equally sure we'll hear a lot more about them at E3. But since that's 3 weeks away, the wait is just unbearable.

Yes, I'm around. Yes, I'm busy. And yes, many of you on NeoGAF are entitled whiners.

I'll probably be gone for the rest of the day.

Personally, I like you. I like the fact you're a straight talker; interact with this forum and talk video games. But with all due respect, after some need rest, you may want to spend some time delving into the specific issues -- of which there are many -- that people have highlighted. And as you should know, GAF represents a specific audience; the forum was never going to celebrate or even give much attention to the entertainment aspect of the machine. That doesn't negate the media features or their potential success but the community here isn't going to embrace that, let alone do so when very little was catered to their interests. And that is even by Microsoft's admission.

I was just trolling you all in that last post.

Riccitiello had tuna tartare and broiled halibut, I had a giant pork chop.

I am not a fan of always connected, think it's intrusive, and think that it raises privacy concerns. I think Mad Catz needs to make a flap that can be placed over the Kinect camera so we can be sure the camera is off when we want it to be. Clearly, the always connected requirement will limit Xbox One penetration in places that have poor broadband infrastructure, and will limit accessibility for people who can't afford broadband.

I agree wholeheartedly on the used issue, and have told Microsoft as much directly. I think it is dumb, dumb, dumb to limit access to used content, and think Microsoft will lose more by doing so than it can ever hope to gain. I think this has been poorly communicated by them, have told them so, and expect them to correct this soon, certainly by E3.

Yes, I hang out with CEOs. Deal with it. I am charming and lovable, so why wouldn't they want to hang out with me.

And I don't think it is "entitlement" when people complain about takeaways of things like used games, so I think it entirely reasonable to be upset if they restrict used game sales.

Wow, okay I need to read before commenting next time

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Yes, I hang out with CEOs. Deal with it. I am charming and lovable, so why wouldn't they want to hang out with me.

I'm actually going to answer why they would, because you work for Wedbush Morgan Securities.

and that troll move was pretty lame.

AHA-Lambda

Riccitiello had tuna tartare and broiled halibut, I had a giant pork chop.

And I don't think it is "entitlement" when people complain about takeaways of things like used games, so I think it entirely reasonable to be upset if they restrict used game sales.

s3AoP.gif

Glasshole

Banned
I'm sure John is doing better than your boy Iwata will do after destroying 80% of Nintendo's market cap.

I hang out with ex-CEOs who invite me to dinner, and met a CEO for breakfast (a company I don't cover) because he invited me. Still waiting for that invitation from Iwata, and if it ever comes, I will accept.

John paid for dinner, it was his turn, I bought last time. He didn't ask for help with his job search, and we talked mostly about the Xbox One.

If I said I don't talk to CEOs, I made a misstatement. I don't reach out to CEOs or CFOs, ever. If they call me, I always accept the call. Iwata has never called. Whatever his failings at EA, JR is a great guy, and I consider him a friend. There are a lot of people in the industry I can say that about, but I can't say that about Iwata because I genuinely don't know the guy.

I have Nintendo Shares. I'm not even joking at this point, I can't stress this enough. I literally bet money on my belief that you're wrong (I don't mean to provoke you, I bought them before I knew what you think about the issue).

To be perfectly honest, my hopes fully rely on E3. They have to deliver, otherwise I see it the same way you do. And I believe they will deliver at E3.

NTDOY, bought them at 14.90 USD. As a fair winner, I'll send a bottle of whiskey to your office if I make more than 30% win.

Top Bottom