• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best 8-bit RPG?

KiTA

Many times I try and go back to play an 8-bit RPG and find that the majority don't hold up. That makes sense because, at least in the console space, they were still in their infancy. The games built upon what came before them and got better.

But if you could only play one -- not for nostalgia or history -- but for quality -- which would it be?

There's a lot to choose from.

Easy.

dw3-13.png

Raw64life

usEx0K7.jpg

Dragon Quest IV, no contest.

DQ3/4 holds up really well.

sörine;122647552 said:
Dragon Warrior IV

Dragon Warrior 4. Five different Chapters with multiple characters with awesome 8-bit music. Rented this every week from the grocery store for like a month, it was so great.

Best Overall - Dragon Warrior 4. Great gameplay & the chapter setup (where you play as 4 separate groups before coming together in the final chapter) was really cool at the time.

I'd say Dragon Quest IV, because apart from being awesome, I think it's the closest to a 16-bit game in terms of playability/user-friendliness.

Dragon Warrior IV is my favorite. It got me into JRPGs.

Dragon Warrior 4

Dragon Quest IV
I prefer it to III (which I played on SNES) actually.

This is the correct answer.

Vamphuntr

You do have download options for the Legend of Xanadu games, but only through Project EGG.

Thanks for the link. The downside to this is that apparently you have to pay a 500 yen monthly fee if I'm understanding well from the English version of their faq. Have you bought anything from them?

Top Bottom