• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best first thing you saw in a game that made you in love with it?

Nosgotham

The Craig in La Theine Plateu in FFXI. i was adventuring beyond my level and i saw a rainbow over the Craig of Holla in the horizon. it blew my mind. come to find out Rainbows only appear after someone attains the Summoner

BigMack

Taking those first few tiptoe, baby steps in Mario 64. Then pushing the stick into a full run. Then just running and hopping around for 30 mins before ever going inside the castle.

Getting on a horse and just riding around exploring in Red Dead Redemption.

Opening cg of FF8. Opening mission of FF7.

The tutorial level in Minecraft on X360.

Seeing the first zombie in Resident Evil.

Jacking a car for the first time and driving around in GTA3.

Sneaking around on the opening island in Far Cry.

Ocarina of Time: literally everything
Chrono Trigger: the "demo" cinematic
Mario 64: the open world I could explore at my leisure
Final Fantasy VII: jumping out of the train at the very beginning
Super Mario Bros 3: finding the leaf and transforming into Raccoon Mario
Resident Evil 4: El Gigante during a gameplay trailer or demo I think?
Half Life 2: That jerk that orders you to pick up the can

Starfield

Most recent: Fallout 4, exiting Vault 111

NFSU2: picking up your first car from the airport

Morrowind: exiting the boat....and immidiately steal all the shit in the next house that isnt nailed down.

Oblivion: getting out of the sewers and making my way to Anvil

Halo: stranding on Halo.

Jackpot

Banned
Absolutely by far was Advent Rising opening with letting you fly a goddamn spaceship.

301486-advent-rising-windows-screenshot-en-route-to-the-space-station.jpg

Seeing the grand vizier create the hourglass in prince of persia

Kkgi33s.png

I've always loved the Arabian adventures - Thief of Bagdad (the '40 one) Golden voyage of Sinbad, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Sinbad & Eye of the Tiger, even the quite literally titled "Arabian Adventure" (with Christopher Lee!) and the cartoon knockoffs like the Fleischer popeye colour shorts and the bugs and daffy "Ali Baba Bunny", and when I first played this back in the day I was amazed I'd get to play one.

It was even better in the second one, which starts with you escaping a palace and running to a ship bound for a desert island:

Ihknn0d.png

It has multiple paths so not everyone would have had the same experience, but the most recent example that comes to mind is refusing to fight the first boss in Undertale. I thought the game was cute up to that point, but that's when it started to become apparent that it was going for something much bigger than what I had expected.

Starting up Nier for the first time last week and hearing Laura Bailey calling someone a dumbass and a little bitch. Could not be more in from second one.

Leaving Vault 101 for the first time too was a unforgettable experience.

Kas

The ability to shoot out light bulbs in Chaos Theory. It blew my mind, and I'm still upset I can't in most games these days.

Bravocado

Walking up in a peaceful, pleasant village, then heading right for a fun fair in Chrono Trigger.

The first hour of Half-Life.

Vol5

"I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? "No," says the man in Washington, "it belongs to the poor." "No," says the man in the Vatican, "it belongs to God." "No," says the man in Moscow, "it belongs to everyone." I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor; where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality; where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well."

Insane. I think I knew right there this would be the best game I'd ever play.

wtd2009

The first bullet in mario, yes!

Also the opening of FFVII. After going from snes, where my favorite game was FF IV, to FFVII (the reason I bought a playstation) I was amazed.

Afrocious

sh2emuztkyb.jpg

You are told absolutely nothing and absolutely everything in that single opening shot.

You are right on the money. Thank you for reminding me of this particular part of the beginning. Remember how tense it was when you ran down the dirt path and could hear a dog barking, yet nothing attacked?

SH2 man...

Just made this pic my cover photo on FB.

semisonic

Banned
First ship battle in Skies of Arcadia, opening to NieR, first steps in Sylvalum in Xenoblade X, first colossus... The list goes on and on.

WoolyNinja

Opening cinematic of Out of this World (aka Another World), especially the lightning! It helped that the entire game actually looked that good too

pWQBACv6OsJ0c.gif

There were rumors going around during the development of Saints Row the Third that there was a lot of internal strife regarding what direction to take the series after 2. They either wanted to go with a more grounded game about taking the Saints down from within as an undercover cop, or a more nutty game with over-the-top elements and parkour mechanics (which were cut during development).

This is how they decided to address those rumors and reveal the game. I don't necessarily love the Third, but after seeing that trailer, I knew I was going to have a good time with it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's impossible how hard to describe it is being four or five years old and playing Atari 2600 games like Asteroid on a black and white tv and then going to a friends house and seeing Super Mario Bros. for the first time. It's literally like going to Oz in Wizard of Oz.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
to be a contrarian, I like when it takes me awhile to realize a game is fucking awesome. Even if there's hype.

I remember playing Half-Life and "waiting for it to get good" and then realized, oh shit, it's been good the entire time.'

Playing Demon's Souls hong kong import, finally beating 1-1, and checking out the other *-1's, but then realizing 1-1 was pretty spectacular in hindsight. Though i will say the elevator to firelink shrine was mindblowing, also getting back to undead asylum.

RE4, surviving the first town, when the church bells ring. I love the fact that RE4 starts a tiny bit slow then goes full speed. Also, 2-1, with the setting change, the monks with shields. Felt amazing.

/hypocritical post

The Hermit

Two games made The strongest first impression in me:

Chrono Trigger, just the beginning with the seagulls somehow grabbed me.

Super Mario Galaxy, the bunnies. My eyes were a bit watery with everything, the graphics, the scene, the music.

Skelter

Banned
I LOVE this trailer for Witcher 2. I definitely miss all the politics at play in Witcher 2.

I really wish EA would do something with Spore. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

sporecreaturecreator-wmac-screenshot1_656x369.jpg

Recettear had me at soon as I read the dialgoue and learned the core gameplay dealt with running a shop.

latest
recettear3.jpg

Nothing to be said, it's Pokemon in 3D graphics finally.

july_p01_06.jpg

btags

Mass Effect
The intro scene. The music, the voiceover, everything about it sold me on the game within the first few seconds.

Bioshock Infinite

"Ascension, ascension, ascension. Hallelujah."

The Witness
Finding and solving your first environmental puzzle.

Skyrim
Fighting your first dragon.

Banjo-Kazooie
Getting to Treasure Trove Cove, hearing the amazing music, and using the flying pad for the first time.

Just watched the mass effect intro in the link and got chills when the title card came up. God that game was awesome. I rented it from blockbuster to try it out before buying it. Blockbuster!

First time crossing country in Dragon's Dogma at night
Setting Sails in Wind Waker
Leaving town for the first time in San Andreas.
Seeing the first Colossus

Top Bottom