• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best first thing you saw in a game that made you in love with it?

The Mabari hound from Dragon Age:Origins
mabari_by_araktugage_d8szwwe.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRqwTMpz8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOnWcmRtjAk
Damn that gif looks awesome. Great looking pup.

Boem

Monkey Island 2: realizing half the game wasn't set on the first island (like in the first game), but you could actually leave the island and visit 3 different, pretty large islands at the same time, in any order you wished. All with completely their own vibe:

monkey-island-2-map.jpg

The drunk pigeons in the background of Sam & Max: Hit the Road:

sammax5.gif

Being in college, getting way too high, playing Gta 4 with a friend for the first time while not knowing anything about it (I took a break from gaming in those years) and getting drunk in the game for the first time:

(The actual coolest moment of that was when my friend was crossing the street, forgot what he was doing due to his highness, and he was hit by a car, and the physics engine kicked in for the first time. That was just really cool at the time).

More recently, the Drive-inspired intro sequence to Wolf Among Us:

Zeneric

Final Fantasy 7 = When Cloud and Tifa reminisced their childhood together.
Final Fantasy 8 = The intro to Balamb Garden.
Final Fantasy 9 = When Zidane met Garnet for the first time.

Music/soundtrack was a big part. I'm deaf. I used to wear hearing aids just for Square games so hearing their music was like the best orgasm ever. I miss the old Square days. Sigh.

playXray

Monkey Island 2: realizing half the game wasn't set on the first island (like in the first game), but you could actually leave the island and visit 3 different, pretty large islands at the same time, in any order you wished. All with completely their own vibe:

monkey-island-2-map.jpg

Shit, yes! I was so fucking excited when I realised this!

-Gozer-

tumblr_inline_mgqvmdaXmk1re1l96.gif

tumblr_inline_mgqvmhlC5K1re1l96.gif

Playing through and fighting the first boss of Dodonpachi was my introduction to Cave. I've been a big fan ever since.

Zebei

Kid Icarus Uprising
Flying up the wall. The music fits it perfectly, the comedy continues, and you just killed flying a demon whale. Controls didn't click until the next chapter, but at that point I already loved the game.

Elite Beat Agents
The first time you realize how insane everything is.

Xenoblade Chronicles
When they just straight up brutally murdered a party member at the very beginning of the game. Stopped me from returning a beautiful game

I'd heard about this God of War game, and that it was getting some good buzz.

Upon seeing that first mini-Hydra smash through the hull, I was already in awe

Hydra.jpg

My excitement was really rising throughout that entire level, and then all of a sudden this dude shows up:

gow4.jpg

My jaw just dropped, I had never before seen anything on a scale like that.

And then the whole QTE sequence that ended in a ship mast getting rammed through the monster's head sealed the deal for me: I love this game.

Shizza

Definitely Yoshi in SMW. I already loved the Mario games, and then a new one came out that allowed you to ride a Dinosaur - SOLD!

The pre-rendered cut scenes in FF VII. Previous games had cut scenes, but nothing like these (at least I hadn't seen any like it before). Totally captured my attention!

There isnt a great screenshot of the moment because it happens outside of a mission, but this is the closest I can get:

uU6gZzPl.png

GTA:San andreas, you do the mission called "Green Sabre" which is when you realize that your buds were involved in the murder of your mother, and likely involved in a string of murders for the LA PD and other gangs around Los Angeles. The cops abduct you so that you're a tool for them, and they drive you out into the middle of nowhere, where you're stripped of all of you weapons and left with only a dirt bike and handgun, next to this beatup double-wide trailer.

Unfortunately the screenshot above is of the next mission you start in this area, but the real moment for me came when the loading screen ends and you're just standing out in the wilderness, abandoned, in an area that was previously greyed-out on your map (unless you had driven over there before hand, which at least for me, I didn't do because you weren't allowed to drive over the bridge without getting 5-star wanted level). Even better, if you travel back to your familiar stomping grounds, the entire region is hostile to you which follows the story of the game... making it very dangerous for you to go back to those areas.

It was an isolating moment where I had a real appreciation for the game world and how Rockstar used the limited graphics, street layout, and artificial restrictions to isolate you to particular points of the map. I had never really gotten into a GTA game for the story before, or for the single-player missions (used to just cause mayhem in the games) and this was a moment that I really felt like "wow, what a great game."

Aters

I fell in love with Odin Sphere when I first laid my eyes on the cover. I love the art style. I didn't even know what the game is about or how to play it.

antitrop

I'd heard about this God of War game, and that it was getting some good buzz.

Upon seeing that first mini-Hydra smash through the hull, I was already in awe

Hydra.jpg

My excitement was really rising throughout that entire level, and then all of a sudden this dude shows up:

gow4.jpg

My jaw just dropped, I had never before seen anything on a scale like that.

And then the whole QTE sequence that ended in a ship mast getting rammed through the monster's head sealed the deal for me: I love this game.
I'm with you on this one. Hydra battle was a fucking insane moment in 2005. There are very few moments in video games where I can honestly claim my jaw was dropped, but this was one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah the hydra battle was insane at the time. All the future GoW games - and action titles in general - all tried to 1up that battle :p Game was definitely influential.

More of mine:

- Reaching Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime. Visual + music combo gave me chills
- Soul Reaver: changing realms for the first time, which happened in real time. I couldn't believe that happened.
- Red Dead Redemption: just riding horseback into Mexico, and Jose Gonzalez's Far Away starts playing
- BioShock intro, reaching Rapture
- Shadow of the Colossus: when you're riding horseback towards your first colossus and have no idea how to take it down.
- Resident Evil 4, the 'where's everyone going, bingo?' moment + title card. The village was such a great intro, and you also realized that the franchise had changed drastically.
- Mario Galaxy, playing with the effects of gravity.
- Getting to City 17 in Half Life 2
- Using the Farsight for the first time in Perfect Dark.
- In the first Dead Rising, the part where there are so many zombies you can walk around on their heads.
- The first time the combat clicks in Bulletstorm: when you're sliding around, shooting and combo'ing weapons, using the grapple and kicks... This was such a rejuvinating shooter to play.

A random recentish one was Bioshock Infinite, when the songbird is flying straight towards you and
the second before it runs into you, you get transported to rapture and your just watching it sadly die underwater
...such an insanely high octane moment turning into a sad one within seconds.

I know I was already sold by then, but thats what set it over the top of being awesome to me!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Playing through Ground Zeroes on PC and getting the final cutscene after beating the main mission my jaw was on the floor. It was my "This is next gen" moment because the explosions and cinematography were just positively incredible. It looked unlike anything I'd ever seen in a game before.

giphy.gif

Going up to Columbia in BioShock Infinite. Everything about that intro just gives me chills.

Here's a slightly better GIF to show it off, because that is a great moment and also hit me really well.

eruption_to_rapture_by_aloooo81-da7wa7n.gif

Breakage

MGS2 Tanker opening. Snake walking down the highway, then equipping stealth camo and jumping off the bridge. The rain, sweeping camera angles, art direction and music - everything about that intro is incredible.

PaulloDEC

I was actually in love with Mirror's Edge from the debut trailer, but in terms of the actual game they had me from the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPi5uiKIls
Going up to Columbia in BioShock Infinite. Everything about that intro just gives me chills.

Here's a slightly better GIF to show it off, because that is a great moment and also hit me really well.

Say what you want about the rest of that game, but that intro sequence (pretty much everything before and including first walking the streets of Columbia) is incredible.

dvqBs5b.gif

Watching my friend get the first spiritual stone in OoT, the Kokiri Emerald, on his brand new N64 was THE defining moment for me as a gamer. I knew I had to get that game! Up until that point I had only watched people play SNES over their shoulder.

The Kokiri Emerald remains a very important symbol to me. I carry a smaller version made of real emerald and gold around my neck, to remind me of the beginning of my journey as a gamer, much like how link embarked on his journey to save Hyrule. The Legend of Zelda, of course, my favourite video game series.

misericordia

Neo Member
When I saw Bryyo for the first time I was very impressed by the potential of Retro Studios. The game is awesome in graphical terms. And the transition to the "corruption effect" is beautiful.

METROIDPRIME3CORRUPTIONWII11.gif

MetroidPrime3CorruptionWii050.gif

rhandino

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The moment you pull the sword from the stone.

The WiiMote was made for shit like that and that moment alone set the tone for my favorite game in the series =3

There isnt a great screenshot of the moment because it happens outside of a mission, but this is the closest I can get:

uU6gZzPl.png

GTA:San andreas, you do the mission called "Green Sabre" which is when you realize that your buds were involved in the murder of your mother, and likely involved in a string of murders for the LA PD and other gangs around Los Angeles. The cops abduct you so that you're a tool for them, and they drive you out into the middle of nowhere, where you're stripped of all of you weapons and left with only a dirt bike and handgun, next to this beatup double-wide trailer.

Unfortunately the screenshot above is of the next mission you start in this area, but the real moment for me came when the loading screen ends and you're just standing out in the wilderness, abandoned, in an area that was previously greyed-out on your map (unless you had driven over there before hand, which at least for me, I didn't do because you weren't allowed to drive over the bridge without getting 5-star wanted level). Even better, if you travel back to your familiar stomping grounds, the entire region is hostile to you which follows the story of the game... making it very dangerous for you to go back to those areas.

It was an isolating moment where I had a real appreciation for the game world and how Rockstar used the limited graphics, street layout, and artificial restrictions to isolate you to particular points of the map. I had never really gotten into a GTA game for the story before, or for the single-player missions (used to just cause mayhem in the games) and this was a moment that I really felt like "wow, what a great game."

Man you just totally dusted off some cobwebs in the back of my brain. I remember this feeling exactly.

JillSandwich

Neo Member
Remember Me: the first shot after you leave the sewers and look over the city, I remember being extremely impressed by the superimposed text everywhere.

Persona 3: the first cutscene of the game where
you summon Thanatos by having him burst out of Orpheus's head

Eblo

Mentioned already, but seeing this for the first time made you FEEL the adventure was just getting started:

iu

Another moment is from relatively early on in Undertale
after having a fun, non-lethal battle with Papyrus, you can go back to his house to go on a date with him. that moment changed my life

Nailing your first contradiction in Ace Attorney and Danganronpa and seeing that you lined the pieces up just right. And by extension, nailing the killer in the first case.

Top Bottom