• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Future of 3D Mario?

apana

Has Nintendo given any hints yet? I think Mario 64 is still the best 3D mario game so hopefully they will go back to that sort of hybrid between platformer and adventure game. I love the galaxy games but the worlds felt more "complete" in 64. I think a 3D 3D Mario game is a given because of the 3DS. I wonder if that's the game Koizumi is working on right now. What do you think?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not fond of 'open' Mario worlds, as I much prefer the tighter platforming found in the Galaxy games, so I dont really want the series to go back to Mario 64's style.

But really, who knows what Nintendo will do with it. A generation or two ago if you had said "One day Mario will be running around planets in space" people would have thought you were mad.

Haunted

apana said:
Has Nintendo given any hints yet?
No.

apana said:
I think Mario 64 is still the best 3D mario game so hopefully they will go back to that sort of hybrid between platformer and adventure game.
No.

apana said:
I love the galaxy games but the worlds felt more "complete" in 64.
No.

apana said:
I think a 3D 3D Mario game is a given because of the 3DS.
Maybe.

apana said:
I wonder if that's the game Koizumi is working on right now.
EAD Tokyo is primarily a console team, so probably not.

apana said:
What do you think?
Yes.
Yes.

ksamedi

I hope they stick to 2D and just never bother with a 3D version. There's still a lot of things they can do with the 2D design.

Somnid

ksamedi said:
I hope they stick to 2D and just never bother with a 3D version. There's still a lot of things they can do with the 2D design.

Because these have shown to be mutually exclusive...

hatchx

Banned
I somewhat agree with the OP. The adventure style world of SM64 was a lot more enthralling. I love Galaxy/Galaxy2 as much as the next guy, but they really are just random levels. There is no context for the worlds. It's more of a play-world and less of an adventure.

I'd like a Mario game in 3D, in the vein of Mario Galaxy's short levels and streamlined pacing. However, it'd be nice if it was back on one planet, with one overall goal, and maybe giving the feeling of traversal through a world with a common goal.

Mario Galaxy 3DS is inevitable and will be great, after that, who really knows?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I loved Mario Galaxy, but how do you top that? I don't think you can.

I'd like to see them scale it back to something similar to Super Mario 64, just set in the Mushroom Kingdom without any gimmicks or anything. Amazing gameplay (a given) and HD rez would make it good enough for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well I'm personally tired of the Galaxy setting, magical as it was.

Amir0x

Banned
hatchx said:
I somewhat agree with the OP. The adventure style world of SM64 was a lot more enthralling. I love Galaxy/Galaxy2 as much as the next guy, but they really are just random levels. There is no context for the worlds. It's more of a play-world and less of an adventure.

I'd like a Mario game in 3D, in the vein of Mario Galaxy's short levels and streamlined pacing. However, it'd be nice if it was back on one planet, with one overall goal, and maybe giving the feeling of traversal through a world with a common goal.

Mario Galaxy 3DS is inevitable and will be great, after that, who really knows?

HEY GUYS MAYBE WE CAN HAVE AN ICE WORLD, A LAVA WORLD AND A GRASS WORLD AGAIN

WOULDN'T THAT BE NOVEL

Salsa

I think people who prefer 64 is just nostalgia messing with their heads. Galaxy 1/2 are the best 3D mario games by a fuckin MILE, c'mon guys, really.

Its like talking about The Beatles. Someone tells you Sgt Peppers is the best album, but (at least for most people) half the reason why they say that is because they lived to see how it impacted music in general, how it changed music. Same can be said about Mario 64, it changed things, it was innovative, exciting, you name it. Along came Galaxy, wich perfected the formula in every way, and its just that: better.

So basically what im saying is: Revolver is the best Beatles album.

BocoDragon said:
Well I'm personally tired of the Galaxy setting, magical as it was.

You know the racing in the sky on a water track riding like a manta ray? I thought that was one of the coolest things ever.

I really didn't enjoy Mario 64 as much as I have enjoyed Galaxy.

Man

Amir0x said:

WOULDN'T THAT BE NOVEL
I don't understand. You seem to have summarized Galaxy. Difference being that you can walk for nary twenty meters before you have the shake the remote to shoot you somewhere else.

MutFox

Banned
Haven't played Galaxy 2, so I can't verify,
but with Galaxy, I wish a lot of the power-ups weren't on timers.

Kinda like past 2D Mario's where a world can be beaten in several ways,
due to the fact you could bring a certain power-up into it.

So yeah, not sure if they fixed that with Galaxy 2,
but that would be my main gripe.

Amir0x

Banned
Man said:
I don't understand. You seem to have summarized Galaxy. Difference being that you can walk for nary twenty meters before you have the shake the remote to shoot you somewhere else.

Difference being Galaxy has more diversity in a single level than other Mario games have in their entire fucking play throughs.

A simple enough distinction, even a Neanderthal could grasp.

apana

SalsaShark said:
I think people who prefer 64 is just nostalgia messing with their heads. Galaxy 1/2 are the best 3D mario games by a fuckin MILE, c'mon guys, really.

Nah man dont play the nostalgia card on me. A lot of us just liked that style better, I think even sales back this up.

TreIII

They can do whatever they want with Mario, and I'll more than likely buy it.

On the other hand, I'm more concerned about getting a PROPER Yoshi's Island sequel... :D

I'd like to see a more traditional Mario too. A new 3D Mushroom Kingdom game would be fabulous. Perhaps introduce a Light/Dark world mechanic into a Mario 64 environment.

Mario 64 with elements of LTTP and Sonic CD, essentially, where switching between two or three versions of the same level is neccessary to succeed.

For example, an Ocean Level similar to Dire Dire Docks, but where the Dark Version is a desert where the ocean has long dried up and shipwrecks are just half buried in sand.

It's probably going to become more SM64 or SMS like but with the level creativity of SMG. THe only reasons SMG were so linear was to appeal to a more casual audience and to make it easier to make the game more refined. Once nintnendo makes a console that is substantially more capable they will be able to make a game with the SMG creativity but without the constant disconnect between the numerous levels. Instead of numerous water themed levels, it will be a 1 or 2 water themed galaxies with numerous parts to each galaxy and "take the star cannon to the next part miles away"

That, and High Definition visuals and sound.

Salsa

apana said:
Nah man dont play the nostalgia card on me. A lot of us just liked that style better, I think even sales back this up.

I just think there wasnt that big a difference between them, really. At least when you break it down to what matters. I think Galaxy is Mario 64 done better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The main issue I have with the Mario64 design is that despite being the 3D evolution of a platformer there's not all that much platforming to speak of. There's a lot of running around, punching bad dudes, and climbing. Yeah, there's jumping, but I'm really not into these big, open worlds where you do more running around than anything else.

Both Galaxy games still do a lot of this, but I felt there was far less focus on big, open areas and more focus on getting to newer, smaller areas. Gravity jumps, riding vines, launched by stars, etc. There was a lot more jumping, a lot more platforming, and a lot less time spent in singular areas.

The worlds in Galaxy I disliked the most unsurprisingly were the bigger, open ones, like the two bee levels.

I dont really care about having this big open adventure world with cohesive movement between locations. I just want platforming. Lots of shit to jump on and lots of obsticles to navigate.

Thus, I prefer the tighter platforming of something like Galaxy 2, and hope Nintendo stick with that.

apana

Android18a said:
I'd like to see a more traditional Mario too. A new 3D Mushroom Kingdom game would be fabulous. Perhaps introduce a Light/Dark world mechanic into a Mario 64 environment.

Mario 64 with elements of LTTP and Sonic CD, essentially, where switching between two or three versions of the same level is neccessary to succeed.

For example, an Ocean Level similar to Dire Dire Docks, but where the Dark Version is a desert where the ocean has long dried up and shipwrecks are just half buried in sand.

For one level but not for a whole game. Nintendo always has mixed resutls with this, remember prime 2 and twilight princess?

Teknoman

TreIII said:
They can do whatever they want with Mario, and I'll more than likely buy it.

On the other hand, I'm more concerned about getting a PROPER Yoshi's Island sequel... :D

Yoshi's Island 3 as a launch title on the next nintendo console, or even Wii with Mario Galaxy quality would be nice.

BocoDragon

You know how Sunshine almost put Mario in "realistic" environments? Sunny Spanish villages, beautiful waterfalls... I'd love to see them continue in that direction with an HD console. He will always be cartoony, of course, but I want to see him in a world of nearly realistic beaches, trees, brickwork, etc. Perhaps the characters and enemies should remain cartoony, but the environments should up the ante.

JimboJones

Full voice acting
Features 2 hours of CG cut scenes
Online coop, offline AI partner through the whole game
Serious, darker story
Takes place in modern day earth

Peff

JimboJones said:
Full voice acting
Serious, darker story

Cover-based platforming!

Salsa

EatChildren said:
The worlds in Galaxy I disliked the most unsurprisingly were the bigger, open ones, like the two bee levels.

Yup.

I mean Mario is all about platforming. Its ussually more fun when you break it down to the basics. There's a reason why these:

SMSunshine_SecretLevel.jpg

were the most enjoyable levels in Sunshine.

BocoDragon

JimboJones said:
Full voice acting
Serious, darker story
super-mario-bros-movie.jpg

Haunted

JimboJones said:
Full voice acting
Serious, darker story
Peff said:
Cover-based platforming!

That's what Inafking would have done.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:

WOULDN'T THAT BE NOVEL

Yeah, like Galaxy 1&2 which loved those. Even combined ice and lava twice.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I agree that Mario 64 felt pretty weak as a "platformer". The problem is that the fantastic level design of the Galaxy games seems kind of inherently intrinsically linear. If you open the world up then you lose the focus and flow. Sure, the Bee levels in Galaxy were enjoyable, but they weren't to the same standard as the rest of the game.

I guess I just don't see why a modern Mario 64 style game has to be a Mario game, when the Mario focus has always been on tight platforming.

EatChildren

The_Technomancer said:
I guess I just don't see why a modern Mario 64 style game has to be a Mario game, when the Mario focus has always been on tight platforming.

A good point this is.

You know, I think thats why I preferred Banjo-Kazooie way back when. While I enjoyed Mario64 back in the day, it never made a big impact on me as I much preferred the 2D games. BK, on the other hand, felt like its own thing.

Peru

Linear levels, densely packed levels (lots of challenge placed on moving through the level itself, no aimless wandering), less about enemies than other obstacles (moving or otherwise). Mainly keep going in the directiof of Galaxy with isolated levels.

Put me in the Mario Galaxy 4life club. I still enjoy a good adventure/exploration-style game a ton (for this Banjo Kazooie > Mario 64) but Galaxy is just pure joy. IMO the best series Nintendo has ever made.

Amir0x said:
Difference being Galaxy has more diversity in a single level than other Mario games have in their entire fucking play throughs.
Yup, "shake the remote here" and don't forget "shake the remote there."

Amir0x said:
A simple enough distinction, even a Neanderthal could grasp.
Is it really too difficult to grasp the idea that someone has a different opinion than you?

I too would like a return to the Mario 64 and Sunshine formula. I played both of those through 100% but I don't think I ever finished either Galaxy game.

Hell, if they released the 64DD and Mario 64-2 for it today I would go out and buy them.

Empty

i'm pretty happy to let ead tokyo decide that, i have no idea about where it will go next. galaxy's structure gave them such an amazing blank canvass for them to paint on genius level design that its hard to see any other theme as a step back, in theory, but as i said i'm just happy to let the imaginations of the people behind those level designs decide. all i really know is that its release will force me to buy nintendo's next system.

Anth0ny

I prefer Mario 64 to the Galaxy games (maybe because of my love for Banjo Kazooie), but I couldn't care less what direction they go, cause it's going to be awesome no matter what.

Top Bottom