• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Future of 3D Mario?

apana

-Pyromaniac- said:
The one thing I agree with most.

The idea behind the Galaxy games was that you throw all the rules out the window and just do insane level design, so a Galaxy 3 should theoretically be something totally new. I'm voting for a hybrid of 64 open world and Galaxy linear design: Super Mario Universe.

Gravijah

apana said:
The idea behind the Galaxy games was that you throw all the rules out the window and just do insane level design, so a Galaxy 3 should theoretically be something totally new. I'm voting for a hybrid of 64 open world and Galaxy linear design: Super Mario Universe.

I'd like something a bit more grounded. More lands to explore, less floating structures.

Alphahawk

I don't think Nintendo can really go back to how Mario was pre-Galaxy I think it'll have to be something that expands on that idea and then makes it it's own. For instance, Super Mario Universe: a more grounded experience where each level is a different planet. This would allow the series a chance to tone down the space-angle while also keeping some of the crazy gravity effects that made the Galaxy games so good.

To be honest I love Galaxy (one of the best games I've ever played) but would kind of be dissapointed if Nintendo didn't change things up dramaticly next gen.

apana

One things I'm wondering is what Mario will look like on a Wii HD/Wii 2. If it's about PS3 level in power, that opens up a lot of possiblities, but at the same time may increase development costs. I think Nintendo will use that extra power to implement effects that don't take up a lot of resources in terms of man power. I'm just not sure what that means specifically, since I'm no graphics expert.

Gravijah

apana said:
One things I'm wondering is what Mario will look like on a Wii HD/Wii 2. If it's about PS3 level in power, that opens up a lot of possiblities, but at the same time may increase development costs. I think Nintendo will use that extra power to implement effects that don't take up a lot of resources in terms of man power. I'm just not sure what that means specifically, since I'm no graphics expert.

Why would Nintendo worry about the development costs of a mainline Super Mario game?

apana

Gravijah said:
Why would Nintendo worry about the development costs of a mainline Super Mario game?

I don't know it's Nintendo, I'm guessing they won't really go all out. Not when they can use that power in other ways. You may be right though, the same rules may not apply to 3D Mario and Zelda games.

Feep

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Yup, "shake the remote here" and don't forget "shake the remote there."
Your opinion is perfectly valid, but this stupid statement right here is not. You might as well say Mario 64 is repetitive because you have to keep hitting those buttons.

Edit: Oh, look, this is a twelve-page thread! Dang.

SMG1/2 were the only games that I had for the Wii where I felt the waggle worked just as well (I'd actually say better) than a button press. Just perfect.

Not sure if I posted in this thread yet, but you can throw me into the free-roaming sand-box crowd. While I love what was done in SMG, I do miss the exploration of SMS and SM64. At the same time however, the linear platforming in the SMG series is unparalleled and something that probably wouldn't be able to be done as cohesively and seamlessly in an open world.

What if they went open world sandbox, one HUGE sandbox, GTA sized with themed "regions" and within these regions little nooks and crannies/stars to find and explore. Think almost a Zelda/Mario hybrid but with more emphasis on the platforming, something with the atmosphere of Banjo Kazooie.
*mainly wants SOMETHING resembling a modernized BK that isn't N&B*

WillyFive

CrunchyFrog said:
What if they went open world sandbox, one HUGE sandbox, GTA sized with themed "regions" and within these regions little nooks and crannies/stars to find and explore. Think almost a Zelda/Mario hybrid but with more emphasis on the platforming, something with the atmosphere of Banjo Kazooie.
*mainly wants SOMETHING resembling a modernized BK that isn't N&B*

Sounds good to me.

apana

Buckethead said:
They made that game and it was called Star Fox Adventures.

Tha fuck? Seriously, I heard that game was shit and marked the death of Rare, or something. May have to give it another look.

Jtrizzy

Just now playing SMG for the first time, about halfway through I think. What an incredible game, one of the best games ever. Mario 64 was the last time I've played a mario game since way back...it looks good, and the nostalgia is great but for my tv im going to use dolphin for part 2.

apana

So I am bumping this thread because we got news about the future of 3D Mario from Iwata at GDC. The future of 3D Mario is Mario in 3D! I don't have a 3DS but will probably get one when this game releases. The first question I have is what kind of 3D effects are we going to see and is this a hybrid of mario 64 and galaxy like I suggested they should make? Plz discuss

Top Bottom