• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the history of American bread and why is it so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Fuck this stupid thread, I am going to go make a grilled cheese sandwich with 4 slices of Kraft Singles and enriched white Texas Toast.

joelseph said:
Fuck this stupid thread, I am going to go make a grilled cheese sandwich with 4 slices of Kraft Singles and enriched white Texas Toast.

Pretty sure thats a sign of the apocalypse.

Tobor

Kaeru said:
It's ok you don't have to take it personal. I come from Sweden, the culture here is maybe nothing to brag about either.
I wrote it before(you decided not to bold that part) that I love americans as people and I have never met an american that I didn't like.
But I think your culture sucks, thats all.
It's not healthy, it promotes violence, greed, consuming on the expenses of others, etc etc.

So you don't listen to any American bands or American influenced music?

You don't watch any American movies?

How about blue jeans? Do you wear those?

EDIT:A quick glance at your posting history shows you like plenty of American shows and movies. I guess we don't suck after all, huh?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BREAD!!!
*Powers up*
yakitate-1.jpg

Kaeru

Banned
Tobor said:
So you don't listen to any American bands or American influenced music?

You don't watch any American movies?

How about blue jeans? Do you wear those?

Yes I do.
I call it fastfood culture, because the experience is easily forgettable.
Your jeans are good, but they are too baggy for my taste.
I prefer the European models more.

Ofcourse there are exceptions, and pretty many of them.
The thing is most Europeans hate USA, and often they cannot motivate why.
I used to be like that, generalising both people, politics, and culture.
But I have come to meet many americans on my travels and at my university.
I can say that I really like americans as people, but not the culture and politics.

Jacobi

Banned
Hahahha, the O'brien clip is awesome, had me in tears, that guy could be right out of Yakitate :lol :lol :lol

Tobor

Kaeru said:
Yes I do.

I can say that I really like americans as people, but not the culture and politics.

You missed the point. Our lousy culture invented blue jeans. Without us, music, clothing, motion pictures, and television would be drastically altered for the worse.

It's fun to bash on us now, due to the idiocy of the previous 8 years, but without us, the world would be a horribly different place.

To say our culture sucks is an uneducated opinion, just like if I were to say Sweden is nothing but blonde people eating Herring and meatballs sitting on Ikea furniture. I know that's not true.

iapetus said:
I look forward to the MM-DD-YY format gripe. Clearly DD-MM-YY is better, but YYYY-MM-DD knocks them both into a cocked hat.
Not only will I give you a medal, but I promise that it will be one of my top priorities in my first 100 days in office. That, we go metric, adopt Celsius, and we go to ISO paper sizes. Sure, I'll get impeached before my first term is up, but fuck it, someone has to get us playing nice with the rest of the world.

masud

Banned
Kaeru said:
Yes I do.

Tell me what are the universal American culture and politics? This is a pretty big place you know.

Tobor

santouras said:
different, yes. horrible? debatable

Just look at music alone. No American culture means no Jazz, Blues, or Rock at the very least. No Beatles or Stones, they were heavily influenced by American artists.

That sounds pretty horrible to me.

Taking away Wonder bread I have no problem with, but generalizing about American culture as a whole is pretty indefensible.

takotchi

Kaeru said:

There are MANY different kinds of jeans here. They range from really baggy to so tight they look painted on. Not to mention a variety of other characteristics.

Kaeru

Banned
Tobor said:
You missed the point. Our lousy culture invented blue jeans. Without us, music, clothing, motion pictures, and television would be drastically altered for the worse.

It's fun to bash on us now, due to the idiocy of the previous 8 years, but without us, the world would be a horribly different place.

To say our culture sucks is an uneducated opinion, just like if I were to say Sweden is nothing but blonde people eating Herring and meatballs sitting on Ikea furniture. I know that's not true.

:lol your last statement strays not too far from the truth.

The television shows are great though, no doubt about that.

USD

Yeah, specialty bread stuff is nice, but I've never had problems with the standard loaf of bread. Maybe it's just low standards. But hey, the more (decent enough) food I can eat, the better.

Kaeru said:
Yes I do.

I'm OFFENDED, SIR!

I'm not sure what qualifies as "American" bread...we don't have too much that we invented as we're more or less a nation of many immigrants. One of my favorite breads that I almost never have is Jewish Challah...really smooth tasty bread.

Drewsy

Banned
LOL

Americans OWN the skinny jeans look. You bitches got nothin!

You really don't know shit about our culture. Sorry, but it's true. Visit Brooklyn or Manhattan please. Middle America is full of lame-o's.

Tobor

thesoapster said:
I'm not sure what qualifies as "American" bread...we don't have too much that we invented as we're more or less a nation of many immigrants. One of my favorite breads that I almost never have is Jewish Challah...really smooth tasty bread.

Challah is one of my favorites. A fresh slice of Challah with butter or cream cheese is breakfast victory.

Drewsy said:
LOL

Americans OWN the skinny jeans look. You bitches got nothin!

:lol

We have plenty of other things we invented...I don't think bread is one of our best bits (or as someone else pointed out...cheese. I hate the way American cheese tastes...even the deli style whole milk...cheddar is way better).

Tobor

Kaeru said:
:lol your last statement strays not too far from the truth.

The television shows are great though, no doubt about that.

Just watch the generalized statements. Especially when you, no offense, really don't know diddly about our culture.

SupahBlah said:
strat.jpg

America wins.

Exactly.

iapetus said:
I look forward to the MM-DD-YY format gripe. Clearly DD-MM-YY is better, but YYYY-MM-DD knocks them both into a cocked hat.

You're crazy man. Sure Year first is better than crazy month-day-year, but in what situations are you going to have to need to know the Year then month before the actual date?

Very few, the date is the most important bit of information and the most precise, hence it comes first.

Nutters.

MrPing1000 said:
Very few, the date is the most important bit of information and the most precise, hence it comes first.

Even though I'm used to the American way...this is 100% true. Everyone asks what day it is..."the 22nd" (or whatever day).

On the other hand, I refuse to let my .'s and ,'s be switched. 1.000 != 1,000...that's bullshit.

1.000 = 1

I think we need a war to put an end to these sort of madnesses. Those that do not think right will be removed.

Kaervas

Banned
Luckily for me, Argentina has a strong european influence regarding its cuisine.

We have excellent bread, cheese and wine. We have crappy ones too, but I guess it's the same in europe.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but wasn't sourdough bread invented by Americans? San Francisco sourdough is some of the best bread ever.

I will fight to my last breath to preserve the intergrity of the M/D/Y. No child of mine will be brought up in some ass backwards D first world.

Plus, America has the moon, and that's all we'll really ever need.

MrPing1000 said:
You're crazy man. Sure Year first is better than crazy month-day-year, but in what situations are you going to have to need to know the Year then month before the actual date?

Nutters.
It's a programmer in-gag, partly said in jest. Sorting files by the most general criteria before the most specific criteria allows for organized and easily browsed information.

The same way, you wouldn't name your mp3s Title-Album-Artist.mp3 since it'll be hell to find anything.

That having been said, for everyday social use, date/month/year is fine by me. BUT WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?! oh no

Flesh Into Gear said:
Plus, America has the moon, and that's all we'll really ever need.

I wouldn't mind the switching to day/month/year...

I'm also in favor of Celsius, metric units like centimeters etc...

OK, you caught me. I'm a commie.

Kaervas

Banned
thesoapster said:

I wouldn't mind the switching to day/month/year...

I'm also in favor of Celsius, metric units like centimeters etc...

OK, you caught me. I'm a commie.

Next thing you will ask is a public health system and high quality public universities!

Kaervas said:
Next thing you will ask is a public health system and high quality public universities!

State universities (particularly my state's...UMD) are already good. But no, "community college", which costs more than good university in Norway for example, is usually pretty shitty.

Battersea Power Station said:
It's a programmer in-gag, partly said in jest. Sorting files by the most general criteria before the most specific criteria allows for organized and easily browsed information.

The same way, you wouldn't name your mp3s Title-Album-Artist.mp3 since it'll be hell to find anything.

That having been said, for everyday social use, date/month/year is fine by me. BUT WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE?! oh no

Shit I hadn't thought of that.

Ok, I think we can agree to kill everyone that uses m-d-y and y-m-d, but in their own homes and file directories they can do as they please.

Kaervas

Banned
thesoapster said:
State universities (particularly my state's...UMD) are already good. But no, "community college", which costs more than good university in Norway for example, is usually pretty shitty.

Really? I always had the impression (mostly from movies) that public universities in the states sucked :p

Kaeru

Banned
Tobor said:
Just watch the generalized statements. Especially when you, no offense, really don't know diddly about our culture.

Hey im not the one who took offence, maybe you did.
Go ask anyone in the world what they think about american culture, 90% of the times you might not like the answer.

Kaervas said:
Really? I always had the impression (mostly from movies) that public universities in the states sucked :p

Well, "public"...they're not free or cheap. They're about $17k per year on average I think for in-state tuition/lodging.

MrPing1000 said:
iTunes is satan. I'm killing you first.

What do you use? Winamp? Some Linux alternative?

C4Lukins

Battersea Power Station said:
I've been living here for 16 years and I'm still boggled at how bread could've possibly devolved after the Europeans migrated here. European bread is generally pretty good.

Since there's no way for me to make a thread about anything without getting flamed in some way, here's a bonus for those that missed out on the Conan / bread expert segment from a long time ago:

http://www.noob.us/humor/conan-obrien-and-the-bread-professor/

Future-discussed non-political gripes with the US will include American cheese, starting the calendar on Sunday, and the MM-DD-YY format.

There is lots of great bread in this country, but when you look at mass production, preservatives, fast food and super markets you just do not notice it so much because there is so much shit bread. Just like beer and wine in this country, the mass produced crap gets the most attention. I cannot imagine an American in a major city who is looking for good bread, failing at his/her attempts to find it. It is everywhere.

Tobor

Kaeru said:
Hey im not the one who took offence, maybe you did.
Go ask anyone in the world what they think about american culture, 90% of the times you might not like the answer.

Then 90% are uneducated about American history and culture. Their loss.

Saying that an entire culture sucks is exactly the sort of uneducated egotism Americans get accused of on a regular basis. It strikes me as a tad hypocritical.

As far as my offense, I'm only offended by people who don't learn about the world around them.

EDIT: I realize I'm taking this too seriously, but yes, I'm mildly annoyed.

AntoneM

Kaervas said:

That is extremely incorrect. Univ. of California, UCLA, Michigan, Virginia, Cal Tech, Washington, Wisconsin, Texas, Colorado ... and I'm sure there are ones I'm missing are all Public universities that among the top 100 universities in the world.

Kaeru

Banned
Tobor said:
Then 90% are uneducated about American history and culture. Their loss.

Saying that an entire culture sucks is exactly the sort of uneducated egotism Americans get accused of on a regular basis. It strikes me as a tad hypocritical.

As far as my offense, I'm only offended by people who don't learn about the world around them.

Well the Indians had a culture, until you decided to wipe them out :)

Yes because everyone has to be a fan of American culture? Sure you can say that an entire culture sucks if you have experienced it and formed your own opinion. You dont have to like every nation in the world and their way of living. Why should you?

Anways what I am talking about is estetics, the most important thing is how people are. And I wrote before what I think about Americans, funny you should only react to the negative part of my post.

AntoneM

thesoapster said:
Well, "public"...they're not free or cheap. They're about $17k per year on average I think for in-state tuition/lodging.

hmm, I'd say that $6000-8000 is pretty normal for instate tuition per year (in state) at even the best public universities. cost of living is going to be all over the place so it's a lot harder to get a good average for that.

MaX_PL

Banned
i hate american bread too. dont know how kids eat pbj sandwhichs, ham, bologne, turkey, etc on that shit.

only time i'll eat it is as toast. only time i'll eat pbj is on toast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom