• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the history of American bread and why is it so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristam

OK, since this is about sweeping generalizations about food...I've spent months in the UK and Ireland, and I agree with some of the assertions in this thread: the bread and the cheese are better (as are sausage and cookies -- or biscuits as you call 'em -- and chocolate). But America is superior for one reason and one reason only: the steakhouse. Maybe you guys have steakhouses hidden underground or something, but everywhere I went in Europe -- whether it was the pub or the restaurant -- the grub was ALWAYS the same: fish and chips. Or, if you're feeling daring and looking for variety, chips and fish. I'M FUCKING TIRED OF YOUR GREASY FISH AND CHIPS. SERVE ME A FUCKING TWELVE OUNCE RIBEYE.

tnw

Banned
Greatness Gone said:
I can't believe a topic on bread managed to produce 3 pages. It's fucking bread, people. EAT IT.

Cheese, on the other hand, is much different.

yeah, let's see how you feel when you have to make a humongous nasty sandwich out of shokupan. It's like four pieces of bread in one sandwich but with only one layer of filling.

tnw said:
yeah, let's see how you feel when you have to make a humongous nasty sandwich out of shokupan. It's like four pieces of bread in one sandwich but with only one layer of filling.
Can't you, like, cut the bread or something? I bet it doesn't taste any different from all of the other bread out there.

Drama queen much?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
American bread is not baked. I refuse to believe it. Like American cheese is growth like some kind of edible mold. Which baffles me, because the first time I was in the US my mind was blown by the crazy amount of good eateries you have, local and foreign. It makes no sense, specially when it comes to BBQ joints. How the hell it is possible to accompain such scrumptious meats with white bread?!

zon

Pristine_Condition said:
OK, it's cool...maybe this guy is from Italy or something and has a leg to stand on...

Oh, WTF?

Could you elaborate on this? I rarely get to hear what foreigners think of Sweden/us Swedes.

There also something I've been wondering for a while, over the years I've gotten the impression that in the US they would rather show (in movies) scenes of extreme violence than a pair of tits. Is this correct?

Walshicus

Tristam said:
OK, since this is about sweeping generalizations about food...I've spent months in the UK and Ireland, and I agree with some of the assertions in this thread: the bread and the cheese are better (as are sausage and cookies -- or biscuits as you call 'em -- and chocolate). But America is superior for one reason and one reason only: the steakhouse. Maybe you guys have steakhouses hidden underground or something, but everywhere I went in Europe -- whether it was the pub or the restaurant -- the grub was ALWAYS the same: fish and chips. Or, if you're feeling daring and looking for variety, chips and fish. I'M FUCKING TIRED OF YOUR GREASY FISH AND CHIPS. SERVE ME A FUCKING TWELVE OUNCE RIBEYE.

Fish and chips? I wouldn't even know where to get that to takeaway these days. English food is all curry, curry and more curry. Oh, and the occasional burger.

EDIT: Ohh, just remembered the local Turkish place does fish and chips.

woeds

Tristam said:
I was in Londen last week, and had steak three times. Just walked into random pubs, they all had it on the menu.

And don't confuse the UK with Europe, Fish and Chips is purely an english thing. I've never seen it here in the Netherlands.

Oh, and the best cheese is the really old kind,with salt crystals
photo-table.gif
. Put it on a slice of nice whole weat bread
and enjoy! So delicious.

AntoneM

zon said:
There also something I've been wondering for a while, over the years I've gotten the impression that in the US they would rather show (in movies) scenes of extreme violence than a pair of tits. Is this correct?

That's pretty much true, though I'm not sure what you mean by extreme violence. I mean there isn't going to be much blood splattering around, they don't show bullets exiting someone, there aren't amputations. There is a lot of gunplay though. Something like Lost or 24 is about as violent as it gets for the major networks and the cable/satellite channels aren't much worse unless it's HBO or something you have to specifically pay for. TV is about as violent as a PG13 action movie.

tnw

Banned
woeds said:

Old Amsterdam is really good. Love that stuff.

And shokupan comes presliced, cutting that stuff even with a serrated knife wouldn't be very easy.

I can usually find a nice dense german-ish bread, but eating sandwiches here just sucks!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Battersea Power Station said:
It's a programmer in-gag, partly said in jest. Sorting files by the most general criteria before the most specific criteria allows for organized and easily browsed information.

Not really in jest - I actually use that format for preference in all cases. The idea that the day of the month is the most important thing doesn't always apply - it depends on what you're looking at dates for. Anything involving historical records, the year is likely to be the most important thing (I need to go back through some receipts today, and discard all the ones older than a certain age - the day of the month is going to be utterly irrelevant compared to the year).

It also makes it easier to sort by date, yes. Using YYYY-MM-DD means a simple sort in almost any computer package will put entries into true date order.

In addition, it makes more sense when you need more specific information about time:

YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss

There we maintain a constant direction from largest to smallest, which you just can't do with DD/MM/YYYY format unless you also switch to ss:mm:hh for times. Which would just be ridiculous.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Why this is an issue, I don't know.

sd-yd250.jpg

Problem solved.

I've got the SD254 model, and it makes a perfectly acceptable loaf of bread - either a decent enough white, a nice light wholemeal, or more exotic breads if the fancy takes me. And you can set a timer so that you have fresh, warm bread in the morning.

Sure, I'd rather make the dough by hand, but that takes far more time and space. A decent bread machine (and apparently Panasonic makes the best ones) is a nice middle ground.

Squeak

Being from Denmark I was surprised and appalled at how terrible Italian bread is. Dry and flavourless. Everything else about danish cuisine is nothing to write home about (to put it mildly) but apparently our bread is quite good (try rye bread for a change).
I also remember American bread being, while not quite as bad as the Italian, bland and very neutral in taste. I think it has something to do with the flour being processed to hell and back before being used. Removing all the good things that makes bread bread. All for the sake of having the whitest bread possible.

zon

max_cool said:
That's pretty much true, though I'm not sure what you mean by extreme violence. I mean there isn't going to be much blood splattering around, they don't show bullets exiting someone, there aren't amputations. There is a lot of gunplay though. Something like Lost or 24 is about as violent as it gets for the major networks and the cable/satellite channels aren't much worse unless it's HBO or something you have to specifically pay for. TV is about as violent as a PG13 action movie.

Ok, so "regular" violence is rather shown than nudity. I find it a bit sad though, it should be the other way around I think. I guess I should clarify that I don't think the US is the only country who would rather show violence than nudity, it would be silly of me if I did.

tnw

Banned
northern european countries do have awesome breads. I need to toast them otherwise I think they're a little too dense, and some of them are too dense even then.

But in general I prefer dark dense breads. schwartzbrot is so good. I find that it is excellent with some Bavarian Blue

%7Bbe376342-28a5-d7db-db8a-93a0b79d41ab%7D.jpeg

Seth C

Squeak said:
Being from Denmark I was surprised and appalled at how terrible Italian bread is. Dry and flavourless. Everything else about danish cuisine is nothing to write home about (to put it mildly) but apparently our bread is quite good (try rye bread for a change).
I also remember American bread being, while not quite as bad as the Italian, bland and very neutral in taste. I think it has something to do with the flour being processed to hell and back before being used. Removing all the good things that makes bread bread. All for the sake of having the whitest bread possible.

This is true. Italian bread (the standard bread you will be served at breakfast or with dinner) is absolutely dreadful.

MaX_PL

Banned
Onix said:
1) I was referring to the actual type of cheese called 'American'. I'm well aware we have other types that are good.

2) I'm American :lol. Beyond that, I live in the only region of the country that has actual 'good' supermarkets. People from other areas think they're the greatest thing they've ever seen.

so you live in Western NY where they have Wegmans, right?

Brannon

Dice Man said:
Atlanta Bread Company makes some Basil Pesto Focaccia bread that is amazing. I could eat an entire loaf in one sitting.

FUCK YOU now I'm going to go out and buy some !

batbeg

iapetus said:
Why this is an issue, I don't know.

sd-yd250.jpg

Problem solved.

I've got the SD254 model, and it makes a perfectly acceptable loaf of bread - either a decent enough white, a nice light wholemeal, or more exotic breads if the fancy takes me. And you can set a timer so that you have fresh, warm bread in the morning.

Sure, I'd rather make the dough by hand, but that takes far more time and space. A decent bread machine (and apparently Panasonic makes the best ones) is a nice middle ground.

This is so bought.

...I need money.

Taichu

Wonder bread is pretty good, convenient, and inexpensive. I don't get all the hate for it. I mean, I prefer homemade bread to it, but it's still decent for a quick sandwich or toast.

Actually, now that I think about it, this thread is hilarious. People here will bitch and moan about a mass-produced bread, but will rank and deify their favorite mass-produced ramen noodles. :lol

Deepblue

Banned
You can buy really good breads if you go to the Bakery section. Personally I love making my own. My last creation was a tomato-basil loaf and it was delicious. As far as the "Wonder" breads are concerned, you can find quite good varieties as well. I'm fond of the thick dark breads, and failing that, Grandma Sycamore's is quite good for processed white.

MaX_PL

Banned
rezuth said:
Most stores here have freshly baked bread. They bake it themself in the mornings :)

yeh and thats what i loved about living back in Poland. my grandma would go out every morning at like 5am to get some fresh bread and pastries.

here in the US theres no kiosks or bakeries on every corner, you gotta drive out to the supermarket or where ever to get some good bread. this is why most people just buy that shitty american bread in bulk and eat that.

i guess city life is different though. i'm sure most places in or around nyc offer the above mentioned service.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Diablos said:
Huh? No, white bread sucks.

Here, do this. Eat nothing but whole wheat or multigrain bread, of any type, for a month.

Then, eat a piece of white bread. You'll be like "man, this is shitty."

Yeah, no. I work in a fucking sandwich shop and I still prefer white bread over wheat.

batbeg

I am so hungry for bread right now. Stupid Sunday Trading Laws... can't get bread for another 13 hours.

I hate GAF.

Greatness Gone said:
I can't believe a topic on bread managed to produce 3 pages. It's fucking bread, people. EAT IT.

why eat it when you can make a cartoon about it!

be7952.jpg

(I tried to find the clip of the Conan bread expert, but youtube sucks and doesnt have it.)

Kaeru said:
I know I know *raises hand*

It's because Americans have a pretty shitty culture in general, food, arts, architecture, clothing, etc(and weather or not they have any sorts of culture is debatable)
But I still love Americans as far as people goes.
You're dumb.

NEXT!

Walshicus

Squeak said:
Being from Denmark I was surprised and appalled at how terrible Italian bread is. Dry and flavourless.

Just put some mackerel on it; that's the standard Danish solution isn't it?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Sourdough forever. It's the only "white" bread I'll touch.

American white "bread" and "American cheese" are disgusting horrors forced upon our society. Ech.

Odrion

Banned
zon said:
Could you elaborate on this? I rarely get to hear what foreigners think of Sweden/us Swedes.

Yeah we have tons of violence on our television, it helps numb us from our day-by-day gunfights and murders that occur all over our cities and towns.

We also rape children, all of us do it actually, it's a requirement for citizenship.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
onadesertedisland said:
it's a shame that europeans think it's ok to rag on american culture. especially when one of their arguments is the lack of knowledge of other cultures that american's possess. ironic.

Hey, we're not all like that :p

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
from the first post, the whole date thing is retarded. It took me almost half a year after getting really heavy into computer programming to throw out the mm-dd-yyyy format. how worthless. works if what you are sorting recognizes the concepts of dates and years. but if you're working with a system that doesn't without conversion, it is worthless to sort.

HotByCold said:
Receipt now!
There's plenty of ways to make it, some people don't even put any meat in it.
But I think this is the one I usually eat.
1 kg wheat flour
250 g butter
20 g of something I don't know the english name for, baking soda bread maybe?
1,5 dl olive oil
12 eggs
ham and lots of other kind of pork sausages like chourizo
warm water

zon

Odrion said:
Yeah we have tons of violence on our television, it helps numb us from our day-by-day gunfights and murders that occur all over our cities and towns.

We also rape children, all of us do it actually, it's a requirement for citizenship.

You forgot sacrificing virgins to the Devil.

Puerto Rico actually has some amazing bread and pastries. There are bakeries everywhere, and you can get fantastic warm fresh bread at all times. There are several types including crusty baguettes and the soft pan de agua, and the bread is usually sold with two bagged together, probably since it is so good that one loaf is usually torn to pieces and eaten on the trip home.

The Cuban bread sold at some American grocery stores is fairly similar to Puerto Rican bread, and is pretty good if it is still warm from the oven.

Puerto Rico also has some fantastic fresh cheeses that go great with bread and strong Puerto Rican coffee. Breakfast of champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom