• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the *main* reason you preorder games?

Why do you preorder?

• I want to pay now and forget about it

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I know I will enjoy the game no matter how it turns out

Votes: 51 22.3%
  • I want collectibles/preorder bonuses

Votes: 57 24.9%
  • I want to support the studios

Votes: 43 18.8%
  • I don't usually preorder with 1 or 2 exceptions

Votes: 59 25.8%
  • I never preorder

Votes: 72 31.4%
  • To preload game files to play immediately it's out

Votes: 10 4.4%

• Total voters

Fbh

The only reason I'd pre order a game these days is:
- It's by FROM and there's a cool steelbox with the pre order.

Last game I preordered was Dark Souls 3:
owgjxvd05jy61.jpg

Spyxos

Gold Member
What, specifically is the reason you preorder games?

And of course, you can do whatever you want with your money, don't answer the poll if you don't want to

I'm just curious since this is a mostly console-focused forum and console exclusives tend to generate a lot of preorders

edit: asking about DIGITAL games specifically
Can't vote i dont buy digital games :(

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh yeah I forgot about that reason.
I pre-order because I buy physical and it comes here day earlier usually.
No way t find the game anywhere on release day recently anyway. It used to be that I could go to media markt on release day, on my way from work and pick up a brand new game. Not happening lately. Physical games are dying and it's fucked up
I forgot that reason too 😂
I mean I haven't bought anything from a store since the PS2 era, it was just cheaper online.
And I haven't noticed the lack of availability in that respect.
I know my local stores stock games but like since forever, they don't have the biggest selection and never have done.

danklord

Gold Member
The best ones are the ones that give you meaningless content, Ponzi-scheme gamification, and release a promise to release a game early if you pre-order enough.

Last edited:

cireza

I will only preorder to support a publisher. Or to be sure I get a collector edition. Otherwise I don't preorder.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
1. because I want to play games I'm excited about as soon as possible.
2. most games I'm excited have limited physical supplies because they are niche.
3. There are some big games have collectors edition that I want.
4. I simply want and I can.

For me pre-odering is not big deal since I do in my local EBgames and I dont even have to put any money down.

Last edited:

Lux R7

(pc gaming) sometimes there are offers on games (preorder keys) and i don't wanna lose those.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
My trust in the developer, I know I will love Tears of the Kingdom based on the fact that the team behind Zelda hasn’t disappointed me in 30 years

Laptop1991

I stopped pre ordering years ago now, after Watchdogs then Dishonored 2 on PC, basically not getting what was promised or a well made PC game on release, one of those 2 hasn't changed, i will always wait until after release now to see if it's worth my money.

RCU005

I only preorder when I get some extra money before release AND it’s a game I really want to play.

I usually always wait for sales and it works great, because on PS5, many games have gotten at least 25% discount soon after release (or less than 6 months).

Mr.ODST

I preorder most of my games but taught myself to be patient, I work in the esports and games industry and rely on my knowledge of all the new latest titles so I have FOMO in some regards, I have got better now and apart from Diablo 4 and Jedi Survivor I wont be preordering anything else

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never now.

I used to pre-order when I bought discs when during E3 stores would do buy 2 get 1 free deals. So I'd always get COD, NHL and find a third game.

But now I'm digital, they dont do digital deals like that, and I do Home Sharing with a buddy so any game we buy is split 50/50 already.

I think the last pre-order promo deal I did involved Witcher 3 (which came with that small comic book).

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I normally don't pre-order because I got burned many times. There are probably 1-2 exceptions per year like the new Yakuza games.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
In my head it’s a little pathetic award for excellence. I only pre-order Zelda, Smash and From games.

What, specifically is the reason you preorder games?

And of course, you can do whatever you want with your money, don't answer the poll if you don't want to

I'm just curious since this is a mostly console-focused forum and console exclusives tend to generate a lot of preorders

edit: asking about DIGITAL games specifically
I want to preload the game and play the moment it unlocks.

spawn

I've only pre-ordered 3 games that I knew were going to be amazing and they were offering a pre-order a bonus so why not

Stamps1646

My Pre-order exceptions:
  • Preferred Store Front - pre-order: Extremely rare, Cyberpunk 2077 was the last game I did this.
  • Third Party websites - pre-order: If I can save $15 to 30 off the full retail cost, why not. I thoroughly research games before I decide to pre-order them.
  • Early Access - pre-order. If I believe the game is worth the investment, I'll purchase it, this may also save me on the full retail cost.
  • Crowd Funded Games - pre-order: If the presentation/features is enough to grab my attention years in advanced, I'll purchase it.

Barakov

Gold Member
The only reason to pre-order a digital game is you want to play it as soon as it's available. The only logical reason if I'm honest.

Zannegan

I don't typically preorder games anymore. Gone are the days of the blockbuster game selling out all over town (unlike hardware). Preorder bonuses have gotten pretty weak too. Besides, I'm at a stage of life where space is more valuable to me than knickknacks or flimsy art books. Skins and exclusive weapon variants mean nothing.

When I do preorder, it's for convenience. I know I want to get the game, and I want to just pay for it now so that it will be waiting for me when I get home on release day. I can always cancel if previews look iffy.

I did jump on Tears of the Kingdom when the rumor started going around that it was going to be $70 to lock in that $60 price. I loved BotW (weapon degradation notwithstanding), so it was a safe bet in any case.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I pre-order because, what if they run out of stock?

Pre-ordering insures that I will get my copy on day one.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Only if it's super niche or most likely going to be hard to obtain physically new later on. A lot of Switch games fall into this category.

Of your options I'd say the main reason is I only pre-order games I know I'll enjoy. The other main reason (not listed) is to pre-install the digital game so I can play it as soon as I have time instead of waiting for a download

I rarely preorder, just games I know might be hard to find or have a nice little bonus. So far this year all I've preordered was Diablo 4 (beta access got me) and ffxvi

Esca

If I know I'll like the game after seeing gameplay I'll preorder it. Especially if there is any incentive given to do so. I preorder soon as it went up for preorder was diablo 4. I I don't need to know anything about it. I've played each one as they came out over the years, I know diablo

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I only pre order special games. Once a generation type games. Usually because im just fucking hyped.

Other than that, never

EruditeHobo

Absolutely to support the devs when I know I'm already going to be buying the game day 1 anyways. Why not get ready for that download and be ready to go with the press of a button on launch?

I've been in the industry long enough that I know what it means when a game has good pre-orders, it often has a serious impact on the studios/techs/artists responsible for creating new entries so we can continue enjoying our favorite hobby.

Some other things can factor in -- I really wanted Diablo 4 early access to the beta, for instance. That kind of thing (or a great preorder bonus) will also contribute to my eagerness to pull the trigger on a pre-order for a game to which I'm already looking forward.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I don’t think I’ve ever preordered a game until I made an order in ToTK and saved myself $10 doing so so feel pretty good and probably won’t ever preorder another one

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sometimes preordering is up to 20 USD cheaper on key seller sites.

Sometimes I preorder games it's impossible for me to not buy, just to get it out of the way so-to-speak. Like f.ex. the premium version of MS Flight Simulator.

..And sometimes preordering those games unlocks early access.

Last edited:

april6e

There is literally no downside. You can return any unopened game at any time you want even after release. The same with digital in many situations with less than 2hrs of playtime on PC. And there are rare situations where niche physical japanese games completely sell out Day 1 in larger cities.

People can whine about it all they want online but I preorder all my games and will always do so.

Last edited:

njean777

Mainly just to pay it off ahead of time or when I have the available funds. That way I don’t have to worry about it, I only pre order select games though.

Justin9mm

My reason is not on the list.

If I know I want to play it on release day, I don't have to leave my house to go get it. If I pre order, it's usually through Amazon through Prime free delivery. Games usually come out Friday's and I usually work from home that day. I don't pre order digital games due to the significant cost difference, the day we go digital only on consoles is the day I stop buying games day 1. I'll instead be forever playing games 6+ months after they release when they have a good price drop.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Diablo 4 because early demo
And the game will be fine at some point just like 3

Top Bottom