• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the pettiest thing that pisses you off in a game?

Budi

This especially bothers me in FPSs. I really feel like that viewpoint needs to give full control to the player, and it's weird when you can't do something as simple as a jump. Granted, I don't recall the last FPS I've seen it in that wasn't about a decade ago.

Probably the only games I don't mind there being no jump in is Miyazaki's Bloodborne/Dark Souls/Demon's Souls, and that's because the level design is so good it doesn't really seem to matter.
Well ofcourse those get a pass. Even with flaws those games are flawless.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Oh just thought of another one - overencumbence.

Like, I get why developers want to limit how much a player can carry to stop them from just hoarding everything, but when it's so ridiculously unbelievable already, I don't see the point.

watershed

Banned
I don't like console games where you move a cursor with the analogue sticks like you would a mouse for menu navigation. I can't remember which game but I played one recently where I opened up the menu and had to move a cursor over to different menu options.

Sudden QTEs in cutscenes. I usually relax and take my hands off the mouse/keyboard when there's a cutscene, but then suddenly they throw a QTE at you that I'm totally not prepared for.

Cepheus

Trophies/achievements linked to online play, meaning you have no way of 100%ing the game when the community dies/servers are taken down. This shit is the sole reason why I have been one achievement away from 100%ing Third Strike Online for four years and I will never do it because not enough people play the mode required to get it.

Capitan

Oh just thought of another one - overencumbence.

Like, I get why developers want to limit how much a player can carry to stop them from just hoarding everything, but when it's so ridiculously unbelievable already, I don't see the point.

for bethesda games at least, i've just been console commanding this out. particularly in fallout 4, when for crafting you're expected to pick up every little piece of junk, it's a lifesaver.

Map rotation, locked mode for specific time, no load out changing after a game starts.

I'm looking at you Splatoon 2. Who the fuck comes up with this shit?

In Gears 4 all the wannabe pros switch to their pistol and aim at the sky at the end of a round

I'm all for taunting but it's just so boring and not creative

The lack of water physics (or interaction) when a character is swimming or just runs through a puddle.
This gets me, especially these days. I mean cmon people. This was in ps2 era games, why can't we have something other than generic repeated circular animations laid over top of the static water. I mean, come on.

When you have to hit a separate confirm button when you want to apply your options and leave the option menu. I don't need you asking me "do you reeeeeeaaally want to save the changes to the settings???" you dense motherfucker. If I didn't want them changed, I wouldn't have changed them or I could just change them back (which almost is never the case). GOD

Actually, not even. The worst is when it doesn't even ask you to confirm. It's when it just doesn't apply the changes when you back out and doesn't bother to tell you you need to hit an extra button at the bottom of whatever.

Thread's pretty long so I'm sure someone must have mentioned something similar by now, but one of my pet peeves which is really inconsequential is the lack of consistent UI, especially when you save your game. All console OS these days have default built in system interfaces for save file management. But they also allow developers to have custom save interfaces which avoid the default. I really love it when a game has a fully consistent interface even when saving, and everything is seamlessly part of the game's unique UI design. When I see the default system interface pop up, it makes me go "uggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" in my head. Lol.

The positive is that it seems to force developers to give you just about as many save slots as they player might need as opposed to save systems integrated into the game which to me personally, severely underestimate how many slots I need a lot of the time.

sikkinixx

Not being able to speed up dialog.

I'm looking at the stupid Splatoon 2 "lets look at the maps on rotation today! Included modes YOU can't even play!" instance

Fuck.
You.

Some of the early tables in The Pinball Arcade (and the Star Trek table for Steam Pinball Arcade) have glaring jpeg compression artifacts on the artwork. I find this to be completely unacceptable. (And honestly I don't think I'm being unreasonable with that, these are commercial products and they aren't cheap.) It bugs me enough that I've only played the Star Trek table twice since buying it.

When music sounds bad from a technical perspective.

I'm a big Hatsune Miku fan but a lot of the songs in Future Tone sound like absolute garbage.

Back in the day it ruined Emperor: Battle for Dune for me. The music was compressed into oblivion. Sounded awful. Even worse was that the soundtrack of that game is awesome, but I couldn't appreciate it.

Unai

"You know, if you've got the aptitude, you should join the mage's college in Winterhold."

Dude... I'm the Archmage! Good thing there's a mod to fix that line. This is from Skyrim, if someone is wondering.

arigato

No ragdoll interaction in Dark Souls II hugely soured my experience with the game and it still bums the hell outta me.

On PC one of the first things I did when the game was moddable was make a "running takes no stamina/half stamina" mod, and a "you have 10000 encumberance instead of 300" mod. Hugely benefitted the game.
Guess I will opt for the PC version instead of that PS4 port.

Top Bottom