• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst 2D Metroid game?

Lothar

Banned
Hahaha, I never thought I'd see someone say that being able to grab ledges makes the game "watered down for babies".

We were given a new option that helps speed things up, and it's a bad thing?

Uh yeah, it almost makes it not even a platformer since you don't really have to worry about timing your jumps. It's like riding a bike with training wheels.

And the game more than trusted the player to go wherever they want, you don't have to listen to the directions Zero Mission gives, it is a very open game.

Why would you not listen when they're telling you where you need to go?

jennetics

This thread is going about as expected. The people who think Metroid 1/2 are ass vs the ones who think Fusion/zero mission are ass.

And no one dares says Super Metroid.

I played a bit of Super Metroid, always stopped playing once the baby Metroid got snatched up by Ridley (ie the very beginning). Can't say it's a bad game (because I never beat it) but I can say it never grabbed me and kept me going. Granted, I didn't really give the game a chance to do so, so I'll keep it at that lol

Rutger

Banned
Uh yeah, it almost makes it not even a platformer since you don't really have to worry about timing your jumps. It's like riding a bike with training wheels.

It's not like the jumps in Metroid games are difficult, and it's not going to make the tricky sequence breaks any easier.

It just speeds things up, we can reach platforms from a lower level, we don't have to go into morph-ball and jump to reach a high tunnel, and it even allows us to attack enemies from better angles. I see nothing but good things from it.

Why would you not listen when they're telling you where you need to go?

You seem so concerned about being able to explore, so why wouldn't you try to disobey it?

Red Hood

Banned
I have to say Metroid 2. I can understand the terrible visuals because of the GameBoy, but the controls are terrible as well. It wasn't until Super Metroid that I think they hit the sweet spot, because NES Metroid -- while I do appreciate it -- doesn't exactly play well either.

Super Metroid > Zero Mission >>> Fusion > Metroid 1 >>> Metroid 2. An updated Super Metroid with ZM's controls would be perfectness.

Nerrel

It just speeds things up, we can reach platforms from a lower level, we don't have to go into morph-ball and jump to reach a high tunnel, and it even allows us to attack enemies from better angles. I see nothing but good things from it.

Yep. I don't particularly miss the grab when playing Super Metroid, but it's definitely not about making the game easier. It expanded Samus' abilities. Being able to shoot while hanging is great, and it opened up a lot of possibilities for boss battles and hidden blocks. Some people here are trying to stretch pretty hard to invalidate all the improvements the series has made since the original...

I played a bit of Super Metroid, always stopped playing once the baby Metroid got snatched up by Ridley (ie the very beginning). Can't say it's a bad game (because I never beat it) but I can say it never grabbed me and kept me going. Granted, I didn't really give the game a chance to do so, so I'll keep it at that lol
You literally played for 40 seconds and quit... your ass hadn't even sunken in to the seat yet... and you did this multiple times? I...
baffled.gif~c200

Red Hood

Banned

Lol that's like stopping with Skyrim before you even exit Helgen and that say it doesn't grab you. In Super Metroid it's even worse because flatout in 60 seconds Ridley grabs the baby Metroid.

Kindekuma

Banned
If I had to be critical, the original Metroid doesn't stack up anymore. With Zero Mission, there's little reason to play the original NES unless you like the nostalgia value of it.

I often hear people say Metroid II is the worst but in all honesty I think it's very underrated. My gripe is that it's easy to get lost, but if you have a map you can easily navigate and press on.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Fusion. It was the worst Metroid game long before Other M came around and lapped the competition. But Fusion is one rotten game. It's the only bad 2D Metroid game.

Top Bottom