• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite BEST PICTURE winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

rocky1.jpg

in no order, my faves in that list are:

Casablanca
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Godfather Part II
Godfather
Lawrence Of Arabia
Gladiator
Rocky

Marvie_3

Banned
1. The Godfather
2. The Godfather Part II
3. Rocky
4. The French Connection
5. Schindler's List

polyh3dron said:
Ordinary People? Seriously? That movie robbed Raging Bull of its rightful place. Fuck that movie.
Damn straight.

1. Forrest Gump
2. Braveheart
3. Rain Man
4. Rocky
5. Schindler's List

It's a shame that essentially none of my favorite older movies won.

Warm Machine said:
What about Ghostbusters? :) I've never seen Amadeus.

Do so ASAP. Amadeus is one of those films that I would never have guessed to have been made in the 80's. You know a film is good when both lead actors get the same best actor nomination, and one of them wins. (Still the right call, I think, but I wouldn't have argued with a tie.)

Crazymoogle said:
Do so ASAP. Amadeus is one of those films that I would never have guessed to have been made in the 80's. You know a film is good when both lead actors get the same best actor nomination, and one of them wins. (Still the right call, I think, but I wouldn't have argued with a tie.)
Bah.

once+upon+a+time+in+america

If the original cut of Once Upon A Time In America had made it to American theatres in 1984 instead of that studio hack job, I think it would have won BP.

And then it would have been my favorite BP winner.

In no particular order

Unforgiven
Bridge on the River Kwai
Godfather
No Country for Old Men
Amadeus (though Salieri's music is actually good/notable, unlike the film makes it seem)

Schindler's List
Gump
Both Godfathers
ROTK
Kramer vs Kramer

And Saving Private Ryan. Because it should had won that year and you know it!

snacknuts

we all knew her
There are quite a few of those that I've never seen, but from that list, my favorite is probably American Beauty.

Karakand

polyh3dron said:
Bah.

]http://www.itusozluk.com/img.php/a9d49405a79e108f06db14c0d9334a8f13133/once+upon+a+time+in+america

If the original cut of Once Upon A Time In America had made it to American theatres in 1984 instead of that studio hack job, I think it would have won BP.

And then it would have been my favorite BP winner.
Such a great flick.

The Godfather. Then probably Amadeus.

I just can't believe how many people are picking Gladiator. I thought that movie was terrible and would be one of my disappointments for Best Picture, sitting right alongside tripe like Oliver and Crash.

01. The Sting
02. The Godfather
03. Unforgiven
04. The Deer Hunter
05. Silence of the Lambs

Honourable mentions; The French Connection, The Godfather pt. 2, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Silence of the Lambs, Gladiator, No Country For Old Men

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
After many, many movie threads, I almost think one dedicated to getting people to watch pre-1970s film is in order. Too bad it'd sink like a stone. :\

Ceres

Banned
I haven't seen it in about 10 years but even as a kid, The Last Emperor always really enthralled me. Amadeus is another one like that though I have seen it recently aired on one of the HD channels.
Having now seen Infernal Affairs, some things about The Departed bug me and honestly, I'm not sure a remake deserves a best picture win even if Scorsese did at least make it extremely different from the original.
And I agree with the OP about A Beautiful Mind not deserving the win. One of the worst movies I've seen and they completely fucked up the whole "based on a true story" aspect of it to Hollywood the movie and prevent the guy from coming off as the completely pretentious asshole he was.

ThatCrazyGuy said:
And Saving Private Ryan. Because it should had won that year and you know it!

No it shouldn't have. Thin Red Line was the better (read: less hurrah and white teeth) film of that year.

SUPREME1

Banned
Damn, William Wyler directed 3 best pictures?

Lol, how come nobody ever mentions him in the best director threads? :lol

chase

Godfathers, of course.
Titanic
Braveheart
Patton
Casablanca
LOTR
Schindlers' List
Midnight Cowboy

I've watched tons of movies from the 30's-70s but strangely only a few BP winners. :/

Worst:

Crash (gets too much hate here but still is certainly not a BP worthy film)
Gladiator
Shakespeare in Love (decent)
A Beautiful Mind
Chicago

Most overrated:

The French Connection
American Beauty
English Patient
Platoon (absolutely great, but the most overrated war movie ever)

Underrated:

Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, Dances With Wolves (at least here)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Based on what I've seen, Rebecca, Annie Hall and No Country for Old Men would be up there.

ckohler

1. Lord of the Ring: The Return of the King (Peter Jackson)
2. Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner)
3. Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis)

Personally, my picks are The Deer Hunter, Unforgiven, Schindler's List, & One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. However, I also immensely enjoy On The Waterfront, Return of the King, & The Departed. I don't have an order because I don't really like throwing numbers on subjective works.

Thing is, I'm usually rooting for the movies that don't win. I felt like There Will Be Blood was robbed last year by the solid-but-not-nearly-as-monumentally-genius No County for Old Men, I came in here wanting to post Raging Bull as my top pick but then remembered that it was beat by Ordinary People (which is, again, solid but hasn't aged nearly as well), & this year, I'm gunning for The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, & In Bruges, which aren't even nominated. Me & the academy, we have a sketchy relationship.

Sanjuro

1974--The Godfather Part 2 (Francis Ford Coppola)
1975--One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman)
1978--The Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino)
1984--Amadeus (Milos Forman)
1992--Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
1. Dances With Wolves
2. Return of the King
3. Lawrence of Arabia
4. On the Waterfront
5. The English Patient

JayDubya

Banned
Hrm. In terms of my favorites:

Braveheart

On The Waterfront
Casablanca
Dances With Wolves
American Beauty

Things that would be at the top or near the top should they have won (and they deserved to, at least over what did win): Star Wars, L.A. Confidential, Saving Private Ryan, LotR:FotR.

Films that didn't even get a nomination but really, really deserved them: Kershner's SW:ESB, Branagh's Henry V, and Nolan's The Dark Knight. And many more that I can't think of right now.

Return of the King was the weakest of the films I felt, and least deserving. I still enjoyed it. But FotR was fantastic; also, in that film, Ian McKellan was perfect as Gandalf the Grey, and yeah, I wish he'd won Best Supporting Actor.

icarus-daedelus said:
I wouldn't do that if I were you dude...

...see? Besides, we already had this argument many times over, like, ten years ago when TTRL and Saving Private Ryan first came out.

Hey, I didn't bring it up. I made my picks and let it be. I guess I should be thankful somebody didn't mention Life is Beautiful...

Blader

There's a lot I haven't seen, but of the ones I have seen, my favorites would have to be Rocky, Silence of the Lambs, and The Departed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom