• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing impressions, experiences. I decided to go with the official case. Mostly I need something to keep the screen from getting scratched. I'm not terribly worried about crush damage, for example.

Famous last words?

Cerium

Just got mine:

Bm752AX.jpg
6iz8fZL.jpg

You get what you pay for. It's super nice.

japtor

Re: Bluetooth keyboard sleeves, I just ordered this one. Not a true sleeve like the previous one linked (has zippers) but has some other compartments and stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014EBC3BE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Has some extra pockets inside and another outside in front, figure that should be enough for extra joycons/straps and maybe some power stuff. I have an Apple BT keyboard and it's about an inch taller and wider so should be some leeway in there.

...maybe should've just bought some Switch case, but I need it for this weekend and most stuff is sold out. Or I could've just gone caseless since I'm probably just gonna just pack it in my backpack.

Luke_Wal

Re: Bluetooth keyboard sleeves, I just ordered this one. Not a true sleeve like the previous one linked (has zippers) but has some other compartments and stuff.

Has some extra pockets inside and another outside in front, figure that should be enough for extra joycons/straps and maybe some power stuff. I have an Apple BT keyboard and it's about an inch taller and wider so should be some leeway in there.

...maybe should've just bought some Switch case, but I need it for this weekend and most stuff is sold out. Or I could've just gone caseless since I'm probably just gonna just pack it in my backpack.

I want to hear how this one works out! This looks like a really cool solution.

I bought this case
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGP235D/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Without realizing it's not wide enough for the Switch with Joy-Cons on... Which is a complete pain in the butt. Decided today to return it. I saw one of the good RDS or whatever ones at Target last night, and now I'm really wishing I'd picked it up after seeing how hard they are to find online. If this keyboard sleeve works, though... Please post impressions as soon as you get it! Need the case by Saturday for a long drive on Sunday, and don't want it to get banged around in my backpack. Anybody else have any good recommendations?

BiggNife

The Hori case protected my Switch from and to Pax without any nicks or scratches, so it's earned my stamp of approval. Yeah, the wiggle room in the case is annoying, but the padding makes up for it.

Between this and my n3DS case I'm just going to stick with hori cases going forward.

Lgndryhr

Just got mine:

You get what you pay for. It's super nice.

Care to share feedback and more pictures? I have the RDS, but would still consider this one.

I just got an email from Amazon.jp that the Hard Case by Keys Factory is back in stock. I haven't bought any case yet, so I don't know what it's like. I can't find a Youtube video on this one. It ends up kind of pricey at $27 total to ship the US. I'll probably end up getting the RDS case sometime in the future.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01N6S5TRX/

Nice case! Too bad wasn't released here.

Cuburt

Finally got a case and it was the official one. People make it sound worse than it is and while it doesn't offer the same kind of protection as a hard case (it's like a semi-hard material at least) it is nice and slim and protects from scratches and dust.

Since it's so hard right now to find a decent case anywhere, I decided in the end that having a decent amount of protection (especially from the more likely cosmetic damage from carrying it around) was more important than waiting potentially a month or months to get another more heavy duty case and having it damaged in the meantime. Also having to wait to get tempered glass screen protectors means that the included screen protectors are better than having nothing on them for a couple weeks until I can get some.

Cerium

Care to share feedback and more pictures? I have the RDS, but would still consider this one.

Let me know your impressions. I am thinking of getting it.

There are plenty of pictures and impressions already in the Waterfield Thread.

finally decided on a case

went with the waxed canvas Switch Pouch from Waterfield

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-switch-case-collection/products/nintendo-switch-pouch
These new ultralight pouches are brilliant; they offer a non-leather option for those who care about that, and they have a $49 entry point for people who don't want to drop big money on a case. Waterfield must be making a killing off the Switch.

brau

These new ultralight pouches are brilliant; they offer a non-leather option for those who care about that, and they have a $49 entry point for people who don't want to drop big money on a case. Waterfield must be making a killing off the Switch.

oh nice. thanks for the heads up.

Lgndryhr

Thanks! Forgot about the Waterfield thread.

I am tempted to get that new case they announced in the black ballistic.

phanphare

Banned

I hope they are, they seem like a great company

I have their backpack in the back of my head for whenever I want to splurge on a new one

goldenpp72

I bought the big case made for traveling since I take mine to long trips sometimes, but is there any good more medium sized solution that can hold the AC adapter and games? I have a decent 3ds case that holds about 40 games, the unit, a power plug and other MISC stuff and it's nice to have for planned short trips.

Jashobeam

ordered this case made by Key Factory, looks nice and has room to store games. If anyone wants one yesasia is the cheapest to get it, ebay sellers are almost charging double the price. The only problem is it won't ship until 7-14 days.

m20nNtD.jpg

SUPARSTARX

I got the BOTW special edition case but I kinda want something that holds about the same amount of stuff and less flashy and incognito in public.

My Walmart has like, 6 of these in stock. I keep passing them up because it looks like it won't protect the sticks and adds necessary bulk to the unit when traveling. Yay/nay?

I didn't like it at all. Returned it. Decided the screen protector and the Butterfox case will be good enough.

CRA5H

Sheikah Slate, Hori Tough Pouch, and Official Case thickness comparison.
I also have a detailed breakdown of each case many pages ago that probably got lost. If you are interested in knowing about each of these 3, go to that post.

This was available at my local Walmart recently. Is it too snug? And can it fit any sort of extra accessories? Or should I look at an alternative for that stuff?

Sorry did not notice your post. You can't add any extra stuff, too tight for that, but nevertheless, I love it. Super tough case.

The Zelda SE case is kind of frustrating. It has more space than needed for a the basics (which for me are a usb cable, the joycon bumper things, game carts, and earbuds), but it doesn't have enough additional space for bigger accessories like the AC adapter, the joycon grip, etc. It winds up feeling much bulkier than what is necessary considering what you can actually fit in there. I guess it's nice if you have an extra set of joycons you want to bring or something.

Ordered the Waterfield Pouch to have something slimmer for the aforementioned basics. I guess I might use the Zelda case for travel, just because it isn't flexible, but I don't see myself using it a lot otherwise.

Is there anything styled like the PDP cases with slightly more room? I don't really like the clamshell design of the other cases, but the PDP cases apparently have everything rubbing against one another.

RaidenZR

I'm a little paralyzed by choice in regards to ordering a case. They all seem to have some sort of small or big compromises. I can't even tell what the general consensus is on what's been considered far and away the top 3.

I am using the Hori Tough Case and its very good in my opinion feels safe.

Similarly I bought the hori screen protector too and its is very good.

japtor

I want to hear how this one works out! This looks like a really cool solution.
It's...interesting. As a protective case I don't think it's going to do much. It's all just neoprene or something similar and fairly thin. But as a small sleeve to carry stuff in it's flexible and pretty roomy as a result, beyond just being roomy cause it's meant for something bigger.

t6xx0xel.jpg

Inner area/pouches, the front/back walls are a nice felt material. Didn't take pics but apparently that right pouch is just barely wide enough for the Switch itself without joycons. It's a funky fit but the joycon grip can fit too, although in the pic I have the straps there:

5ZwJCmtl.jpg

Hell the front pouch is almost big enough alone for the Switch:
RQkCtrbl.jpg

Technically I could cram a bunch in this thing but the odd shape of everything can make it pretty funky. Switch itself with cables and other thin stuff seems like it'd be fine. Getting the extra joycons in there starts making it weird, but it works. There's enough space on top/bottom to fit the joycons in line with the Switch...and that seems to actually hold form well enough once zipped shut now that I try it. Now I kinda want an actual case that holds extra joycons like that.

Edit: put joycons on the bottom and managed stuff in the Hori 24 game case, power brick, and joycon straps:
yLKXYUGl.jpg

R8HHr5Nl.jpg

RaidenZR

Start by identifying or sharing what you're looking for in a case.

I've tried but there's random little shit I keep reading about each one that irks me. I was eyeing the Butterfox, the RDS Game Traveller and the city slicker Waterfield case. They all seemed like good choices but there's red flags. Butterfox's sounds too snug. RDS people complaining about the odor? And Waterfield's are pricey (but reportedly high quality). So I'm torn.

Lgndryhr

I've tried but there's random little shit I keep reading about each one that irks me. I was eyeing the Butterfox, the RDS Game Traveller and the city slicker Waterfield case. They all seemed like good choices but there's red flags. Butterfox's sounds too snug. RDS people complaining about the odor? And Waterfield's are pricey (but reportedly high quality). So I'm torn.

Haven't noticed any odor about my RDS case. Never understood that comment.

Glix

My Walmart has like, 6 of these in stock. I keep passing them up because it looks like it won't protect the sticks and adds necessary bulk to the unit when traveling. Yay/nay?

Got mine yesterday.

Won't protect the sticks.

The thing is AWESOME in kickstand mode. Gives you much better angles and is more stable.

The thing is pretty bad in handheld mode. You have this huge flap hanging off the back or bottom and there is no way to tuck it away or anything.

You have to take it off every time you want to dock.

So I think its a nay for most people. But its really great for kickstanding.

Top Bottom