• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your wishlist for the next Devil May Cry game?

Jawmuncher

-Playable Dante/Nero/Trish/Lady
-Return of Vergil and he's playable
-RE style puzzles
-One big inconnected setting ala DMC1/3/4
-A Bayonetta easter egg, like Phantom being a demon in Bayonetta.
-Absolutely nothing from DmC. Not even a skin or a black wig joke.

You'll have to elaborate on why you would like puzzles in DMC. Are you wanting a slower game experience?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I phrased that weirdly - I wanted to express that I appreciate the mode straightforward nature of DMC compared to the genre mixing segments often found in Platinum titles.

I hear ya. That's why I loved DMC3 when I first played it. You could do a lot of the crazy moves from the cut scenes in game without QTE's or anything and still look awesome doing it. I still kind of wish you could have used the motorcycle as a rocket powered nun chuk in the actual game.

Xliskin

-let us control the camera
-no platforming (Idon't mine puzzles but the platforing in DMC4 -__- )
-no time limit in Bloody Palace would be perfection

1 - make it a crossover with bayonetta and hire platinum games for the development with kamiya at the helm

2 - profit

1- No
2- Yes

Neonep

I don't even want a hint of DmC in this game in any shape, form, or manner. I want this to go back to basics. One character, Dante. New weapons, levels, bosses. Save Vergil & Nero for DLC. You can only do so much in making a game.

sn00zer

DmC environmental design. Say what you will about DmC but the environmental design was far more creative and interesting than any DMC since DMC1.

A Nero-like beginner character, Dante has just too much shit going on with his controls.

That's about it.

Neonep

DmC environmental design. Say what you will about DmC but the environmental design was far more creative and interesting than any DMC since DMC1.

A Nero-like beginner character, Dante has just too much shit going on with his controls.

That's about it.
Or they could just use Nero again. We already have enough characters.

sn00zer

Or they could just use Nero again. We already have enough characters.
I really like Nero a lot but some people seem to hate him. In a perfect world Nero would have gotten Dante's weapons in DMC4, Dante is complicated enough before all the crazy weapons, and Nero could use just a little more complexity

JayEH

I really like Nero a lot but some people seem to hate him. In a perfect world Nero would have gotten Dante's weapons in DMC4, Dante is complicated enough before all the crazy weapons, and Nero could use just a little more complexity

Those people don't deserve a sequel.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Embrace Platinum's trend of having a variety of gameplay styles unfold in rapid succession in a level (like Nier Automata going from on rails to bullet hell to action)...

Eh, I'm not sure it fits DMC as much- though I wouldn't mind it too much as long as it's more like Nier/Transformers and a lot less like the Bayonetta sections.

Arjac

1 - make it a crossover with bayonetta and hire platinum games for the development with kamiya at the helm

2 - profit

Platinum has lots of character action games in their style as is, I'd prefer Devil May Cry to have its own identity, whether or not it changes things up from previous entries

tabs2002

Give Trish more moves. She needs more lightning attacks. It would also be nice if Trish (and Lady) didn't share any moves with Dante.

renzolama

That it be made by Platinum

Platinum has lots of character action games in their style as is, I'd prefer Devil May Cry to have its own identity, whether or not it changes things up from previous entries

This is a fair point and I'm exaggerating above for humor, but I would seriously welcome some influence from Platinum's character action style to complement DMC. At this point DMC feels much closer to a generic masher-action game like God of War than a skill-focused character action game like Bayonetta to me. I know there's plenty of skill depth to be found in DMC, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't feel satisfying for me in the same way that chaining dodges/parries/launchers/etc in Bayonetta and MGR do. I'd love to see an injection of the kind of fluidity between attack chains and mobility that Platinum has become known for rather than the (for me, anyway) stiff, disconnected animations and combos in DMC.

Edit: I make no claims at being a DMC expert so it's entirely possible my opinions about it's combat are biased by my own skill limitation.

- Focus down on having one or two characters and only 1 or 2. Have the enemy design specifically push the unique characteristics of each character.
- Steal as much work as possible on DMC4 for character move sets.
- Use Credo as the Boss Design Template
- A 8-12 Hour campaign for a single initial run-through. Make sure each character gets equal time if there's more than 1.
- No time limit in Bloody Palace.
- Steal things like Must Style mode from DmC definitive edition
- Include Legendary Dark Knight from the Get go.
- Minimal Gimmick designs for missions, Puzzles should generally be rather trivial. Don't strip them out though for pacing's sake.

Merc_

lol they won't dare go back to DmC. That would torpedo their game right out of the starting gate and Capcom knows it.

Reset

Copy DmC's level design/structure. Don't throw in random genre shifts, and keep Kamiya away from the series. :]

Steroyd

Make a full goddamn game, mechanically Dante in DMC4 was absolute perfection, could switch weapons and styles on the fly and do some truly dynamic expressive stuff, as you mentioned the problem is that this was undermined severely because you retreaded all the levels that you played as Nero prior but in reverse.

That it be made by Platinum

This is a fair point and I'm exaggerating above for humor, but I would seriously welcome some influence from Platinum's character action style to complement DMC. At this point DMC feels much closer to a generic masher-action game like God of War than a skill-focused character action game like Bayonetta to me. I know there's plenty of skill depth to be found in DMC, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't feel satisfying for me in the same way that chaining dodges/parries/launchers/etc in Bayonetta and MGR do. I'd love to see an injection of the kind of fluidity between attack chains and mobility that Platinum has become known for rather than the (for me, anyway) stiff, disconnected animations and combos in DMC.

Edit: I make no claims at being a DMC expert so it's entirely possible my opinions about it's combat are biased by my own skill limitation.

DMC4 is still the single most mechanically complex game in the entire genre, not even Bayonetta comes close. The problem I think is that most players who haven't sunk their teeth yet into the systems and mechanics don't even know that half of the tech in this game even exists since the game never explicitly tells you about them. Stuff like jump cancelling, guard cancelling, and distortion are never taught by the game which means that most players will never use them despite being very key aspects of the game's combat. Hell, when I first played dmc3 as a teenager I didn't even know jump cancelling was a thing as I only found out sometime later once I looked up videos online. I think DMC5 would definitely benefit from a in-depth advanced tutorial similar to the one you have in skullgirls, where they clearly explain a technique, it's usage, and then have you practice it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All i want is Lady in a better role.

I say to this day that trish should not have existed and DMC3 should have been the 'soft reboot' of the franchise where things did not have to follow DMC1 or 2's trajectory...seeing a DMC2 with Trish still as lead heroine had tons of potential i felt

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You'll have to elaborate on why you would like puzzles in DMC. Are you wanting a slower game experience?

Grabbing a few key items, and bringing them to a specific location in the game world wouldn't slow anything. It'd just be world building. DMC3 did it perfectly. I want more DMC3.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Copy DmC's level design/structure. Don't throw in random genre shifts, and keep Kamiya away from the series. :]

Kamiya hasn't been part of the series since #1 and that goes for things like genre shifts and the like as well.

In general I don't want Platinum or Kamiya working on DMC. Kamiya hasn't had a hand in the series for a long long time and Platinum was never a part of it despite being the most notable character action game studio out there. Let Itsuno do the sequel in house at Capcom and give him free reign to expand upon the existing groundwork laid by the prior games and blow us all the fuck away.

TreIII

Besides everything that the community topic suggested as a grand suggestion list...

At this point, I'm expecting a "post-Dogma" Itsuno to not settle so easily for a by the numbers sequel that would be more like a "DMC4.5". DMC has needed to shake off the last of its Resident Evil-originating tropes for the longest, amyway. So, the more I see proof positive that Itsuno and his crew want to push things along and reinvigorate this genre, the more pleased I'll be.

Also, definitely cosigning the desire to move things past DMC2. As I've said before: just say that "Dante had a cold" or something, and that's why he wasn't acting like himself the entire episode. Add in Lucia as another member of his female entourage (the MC roster could use a splash of color, anyway), and keep it moving. Shouldn't be that hard, and you can finally give us an idea of what could really challenge Dante when he was at his most OP.

kyo_strife

Neo Member
Vergil
Free camera
Co-op Bloody Palace
60fps
Itsuno

Would be nice to play the story in co-op but I don't expect a DMC built around that concept. Though I can imagine PlatinumGames taking this step with Bayonetta
x DMC
, they could really shake up the series with a tag team combo system.

sn00zer

Perfect world would be Bayo3 and DMC5 would be the same story from two different perspectives. The war between heaven and he'll with Dante and Bayo's crew stuck in the middle.

Defuser

Dante,Nero and Vergil. Make Vergil the story plot point.

Since real time weapon switching been done in DMC4 its time to do real time character switch ala MvC3 style.

Choppymushroom

Neo Member
Not trying to shitpost but make it DmC 2. Or make it DMC with DmC gameplay. I'm one of the few that prefered the way that one played to the original series. I tried going back to the old ones to replay them after playing DmC and I just couldnt, felt too archaic. Just my opinion though.

Flousn

- Progress the Story past Dmc2. The game was ass, but the Dante Design is still my favourite and the whole "Battling the way down Hell"-angle could be put to good use. Make it so that "hell" is not an actual physical Place, but adapts to the Fears/Pains whatever of the one perceiving it - endless possibilities for Enemies, Stage-Designs etc. Also, in his own "personal" Hell, it makes Sense that Dante isn´t as endlessly OP as he is in the real World.

- Keep the Level-Structure. Dmc does not need to be open-world.

- Go back to the Tone from Dmc1 (and Dmc3). Dmc2-Dante had no personality, Dmc4-Dante was somewhat over-the-top. I also liked the horror-Roots of Dmc1.

- Keep the Combat-System from Dmc4, but do a proper Tutorial on advanced techniques.

- Max 2 playable Characters bext to Dante in the Story proper, but integrate them well (no Backtracking like in Dmc4, please).

- 60FPS

Perfect world would be Bayo3 and DMC5 would be the same story from two different perspectives. The war between heaven and he'll with Dante and Bayo's crew stuck in the middle.

Or that, damn, i never knew i wanted this until i read your post.

Make Dante and Vergil main characters on the next game.

It would be great if each of them has different levels instead of two characters sharing same levels kinda like RE 6

This, so very much this. Vergil needs a comeback (and I'm pretty sure Capcom knows this too, considering they brought him back for the DMC4:SE), he and Dante make for a fantastic dynamic. Nero has run his course, he had his time and should be retired with grace, limited to minor appearances like Lady and Trish (though there is great potential for Vegeta+Trunks-esque shenigans with Vergil).

Two playable characters with their own missions should be the absolute maximum, bonus characters for NG+ aside, otherwise the experience will be too fractured. 60% Dante/ 40% Vergil sounds like a good split, with both facing each other as bosses several times. But without level retreading unless it's how it was done in DMC1 and DMC3, no more doing EXACTLY the same level backwards, it only hurts the game with both the critical as well as the fanbase reaction.

Otherwise keep the gameplay exactly as it was in DMC4 with the environments and story heavily inspired by DMC3, go from there and refine it (So no QTEs, dumb and funky puzzles, Rebellion (fav character action weapon for life), Uncle Dante, Pizza and the best hack n'slay gameplay in the business), but if Itsuno is developing this then he has my full trust. The game HAS to be developed by Itsuno.

DmC2. Much better series than the original
You could fill an ocean with so much salt.

Nottle

I really like the idea of 2 separate story campaigns. Though i never played DMC2 I know it's not great, but it did have 2 playable characters. 4 did as well but there was a lot of retreading.

An odd comparison incoming, I would like them to do something similar to Sonic Adventure 2's split story where you see 1 story from a couple different points of view. Ideally this would be with Dante being the cool hero and Virgil undergoing a redemptive arc.

Basically since a Metap Gear Rising 2 where you play 2 campaigns that meet up as both Raiden and Sam can't exist, I want this in DMC.

gafneo

Banned
It to have blood and gore instead of black tar effects. Should be hard like DMC3. Platinum should team up with Capcom so Bayonetta is crossed over in it.

sn00zer

DmC2. Much better series than the original
I know this is bait-y as hell, but I think DmC had a ton of creativity that was devoid in DMC4.

Really hope DMC5 takes a long hard look at DmCs level presentation.

Also DmCs simple input, complex combos was great and absolutely should be adopted by other games.

rackham

Banned
I know this is bait-y as hell, but I think DmC had a ton of creativity that was devoid in DMC4.

Really hope DMC5 takes a long hard look at DmCs level presentation.

Also DmCs simple input, complex combos was great and absolutely should be adopted by other games.

Why is it bait-y? Why can't people think that DmC is better than the original series in almost every way? The original series had SOME good moments and SOME good bosses but overall, and having each one compared to the reboot by themselves, the reboot stands the strongest.

People like to say that DMC4 had such amazing combat etc. etc. except it was fucking BORING. that doesn't make up for the shit story, shit characters, shit dialogue, and bland environments (reused because there wasn't enough).

DMC3 was great at the time but I tried playing the HD collection and it felt dated as hell.

Novocaine

I want a sequel to DmC Definitive Edition. Needs to lose some of the 'tude though. I adore the way it plays, the music and the level design. Maybe another playable character.

jg4xchamp

Better enemy designs and maybe a major shift in how beat-em up level design is handled. By that I mean the basic fight in this closed arena, verse ends, next closed off arena, rinse n repeat. I'd like positioning and the play space to have more of a role in the action; at least as a mix up from the standard arena stuff that are better suited for player expression.

And ignore everything DmC did, because that game was watered down DMC.

Top Bottom