• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Mario can learn from Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I see a lot of people saying 2D Mario is "stagnant," but NSMBU is the best 2D Mario game. They added good stuff like challenge modes. The level variation remains fantastic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see a lot of people saying 2D Mario is "stagnant," but NSMBU is the best 2D Mario game. They added good stuff like challenge modes. The level variation remains fantastic.

The truth is, despite people loving to say gameplay is king, people will continue to judge games by their appearance and, even if graphically it's an actual improvement over previous games, NSMBU does continue an aesthetic of three previous titles.

There's a reason they could condense them all into one style with Super Mario Maker.

The funny thing, if Nintendo wanted to take one lesson from Mania, it would be not to release another 2D Mario platformer for about 20 years. Heck, just look at what happened when Nintendo released an extremely graphically impressive and ambitious platformer with a killer soundtrack, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - the gaming community told them to rot in hell just because they dared release it too soon after Returns.

Spinluck

Mario is the king of 3d platforming, when it comes to 2d I'd much rather play almost anything else.

Sonic, DKC, Megaman, Rayman, Shovel Knight, etc.

jrush64

Banned
Mario has not ever and will not ever be good in the way that 2D Sonic is good. Mario's draw is that is it mediocre...its tailored to the dumbed down masses it's Micky D's

Sonic is a slain beast dragged home and prepared by the finest chefs...the music...the look...the gameplay every detail is highly advanced and prepared to a standard of excellence that a Goomba could never dream of comparing to or the worst thing you've ever tasted but guess what? Its doing something either way, trying new things, growing, failing, getting back up, Sonic is interesting no matter what...it might be bad at times but its never "WAH WAH"

The main thing Mario can learn from Mania is self-respect rather than whoring himself out in in 2 to 4 uninspired cash grabs every few years. "WAH WAH 3D" "SUPER WAH WAH" "WAH WAH MAKER" "WAH WAH GALAXY" Its just filler..

People say Sonic hasn't been good since 94' and I agree....I also say that Mario hasn't really existed since Mario 64...everything after that has been "WAH WAH" shame on Mario fans for buying crap and pretending its cake all these years but the jig is up the Speedy blue king has returned What are you gonna do when Sonic Mania runs wild on you?

lol.

ec0ec0

That only concerns visual and presentation aspects and ignore key parts of videogames which are gameplay related. The 2D games have adressed the gameplay side introducing new things.

i agree the 2D Mario games neccesitate an overhaul in it's presentation. Nintendo already knows that thought.

So, why is it known that they know?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Mario is the king of 3d platforming, when it comes to 2d I'd much rather play almost anything else.

I honestly would put Megaman away from it. MMX I'd agree. But the original especially pre-SNES Megaman suffer from many, many physics and platforming glitches.

The truth is, despite people loving to say gameplay is king, people will continue to judge games by their appearance and, even if graphically it's an actual improvement over previous games, NSMBU does continue an aesthetic of three previous titles.

There's a reason they could condense them all into one style with Super Mario Maker.

The funny thing, if Nintendo wanted to take one lesson from Mania, it would be not to release another 2D Mario platformer for about 20 years. Heck, just look at what happened when Nintendo released an extremely graphically impressive and ambitious platformer with a killer soundtrack, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - the gaming community told them to rot in hell just because they dared release it too soon after Returns.

So GAF? Because the other places was more of apathy.

ec0ec0

When people say NSMB is bland and boring I really have to assume they haven't played the games. I'll absolutely agree on the whole look of the series: it's safe and derivative, but that's really where it ends; the level-design in NSMB on the whole has been nothing short of genius. Play NSMBU and tell me this isn't Nintendo operating on their highest level.

I do agree though, if 2D Mario can bring the high level of game-design to their art, we are talking straight-up best Mario of all time.

I haven't actually played Mania yet (excited to, but I just don't do digital games, I'll hold off for the inevitable physical copy) and I'm sure the game is great (though I'm not too sure on its insistence on remixing levels instead of just offering all-new ones), but I'm really not sure Mario needs to take a page out of Mania's book. Apples and oranges and all that.

If this wans't already a GAF meme, i think that it may be now?

bryanee

Mario has not ever and will not ever be good in the way that 2D Sonic is good. Mario's draw is that is it mediocre...its tailored to the dumbed down masses it's Micky D's

Sonic is a slain beast dragged home and prepared by the finest chefs...the music...the look...the gameplay every detail is highly advanced and prepared to a standard of excellence that a Goomba could never dream of comparing to or the worst thing you've ever tasted but guess what? Its doing something either way, trying new things, growing, failing, getting back up, Sonic is interesting no matter what...it might be bad at times but its never "WAH WAH"

The main thing Mario can learn from Mania is self-respect rather than whoring himself out in in 2 to 4 uninspired cash grabs every few years. "WAH WAH 3D" "SUPER WAH WAH" "WAH WAH MAKER" "WAH WAH GALAXY" Its just filler..

People say Sonic hasn't been good since 94' and I agree....I also say that Mario hasn't really existed since Mario 64...everything after that has been "WAH WAH" shame on Mario fans for buying crap and pretending its cake all these years but the jig is up the Speedy blue king has returned What are you gonna do when Sonic Mania runs wild on you?

jIDPmzo.gif

jcjimher

Having not grown up with the Sonic games I always found the 2d Sonic games to look awful.I appreciate 2D sprite work but outside of Sonic's design everything else ranged from kitsch to terrible. There's just so much of the late 80's/early 90's design ethos baked into the environment design that always looks so gaudy/busy.

Everything is so claustrophobic.
Tails-610.jpg

Studi.png

On the opposite end of the spectrum is New Super Mario Bros where everything just feels empty.
New_Super_Mario_Bros._U_Wii_U_3.jpg

2410948734.jpg

I don't wan't Mario to regress like Sonic did. My childhood was great but I don't want to pretend like I'm playing a new SNES game in 2017. Give me something new not a remix of something old. If Nintendo does do more 2D Mario's outside of Mario Maker hopefully it learns more from Rayman Legends art design than Sonic.
157620_screenshot_02_l.jpg

157620_screenshot_03_l.jpg

I agree Rayman has an incredible mix of art and technical quality, probably delivering the prettiest 2D game to date.

But I disagree about the Sonic part. That busy aesthetic that you deem "claustrophobic" is what I love about the Sonic classics. It might seem confusing in some picked screenshots, but it doesn't at all in motion, when things move and blink, and you have multiple scroll layers giving depth. And as other poster said, having more "texture" to the environments increases the sense of speed.

What I would like to see the most is that aesthetic attempted in HD (by Sonic or Mario or other game). Rayman art didn't look that impressive in his original 240p games, actually.

correojon

You forgot the "believe me, I'm an expert" part so people would know it was a joke post

Nintendo did this with the New series (granted only 10 years) and didn't even need impressive graphics or a killer soundtrack to sell 30 million copies.

"What a game series that is critically acclaimed and regularly sells in the millions, even on a poorly-selling console, can learn from the first semi-decent game in another game series, that riffs heavily off the only other decent games in said series".

Or is that too long for a thread title?

NNjIyWA.png

Yep, it's only "semi-decent", folks.

Seems like some of you people just can't accept that there's a Sonic game that's actually worthwhile, lol.

I'm really glad I don't live in the alternative universe that you do.

Airola

Just feels odd that Mania is being put forward as a new idea for Nintendo to take note of when they've been at it already for years.

Yeah, Sonic has tried a lot in the past couple of decades. A missed shot after a missed shot after a missed shot. And now when they seemingly finally get it right, it should somehow be a lesson to Mario?

The New series have nothing else wrong than they look and sound like each other. The gameplay and game design is still top notch.

RRockman

Banned
so not one of you actually looked at Manias level design, And instead are handwaving it of as old school sonic despite the fact they mixed in things that wasn't in old school sonic?

what about the fact that mania has its elemental powerups actually effect the enviroment and unlock secret paths in the levels? the most I can think of in 2d Mario is using the fire to light torches to get things, but not stuff like burning down a bridge, or even freezing water to get around. I see some of that in odyssey, but that's not a 2d Mario. 2d mario needs to take pages out of both sonic and old school Rayman's book and make their levels feel more like distinct worlds rather than sterile "movie sets" and the best way to do that is to bring that high level of interactivity to the stage to the 2d games.

Yukinari

Its just mind boggling that Kirby, DK and even Yoshi now seem to have creative level design and fantastic presentation while Mario has to settle with safe bland adventures.

Yoshi used to be a trash bin franchise until Woolly World came out.

BasilZero

2D Mario needs a reboot

Hopefully with mania there will be one and not another "new" super Mario bros

Kirby, yoshi and dk all evolved and still fresh

13ruce

Banned
Its just mind boggling that Kirby, DK and even Yoshi now seem to have creative level design and fantastic presentation while Mario has to settle with safe bland adventures.

Yoshi used to be a trash bin franchise until Woolly World came out.

Hopefully Koizumi gets his hands on it sometime down the road. guy is god tier in making Mario games i am sure he can do something epic with the 2d games aswell.

(he directed the galaxy games and is producer of odyssey he also had some work done in Majoras Mask and mario 64 i think)

correojon

so not one of you actually looked at Manias level design, And instead are handwaving it of as old school sonic despite the fact they mixed in things that wasn't in old school sonic?

what about the fact that mania has its elemental powerups actually effect the enviroment and unlock secret paths in the levels? the most I can think of in 2d Mario is using the fire to light torches to get things, but not stuff like burning down a bridge, or even freezing water to get around. I see some of that in odyssey, but that's not a 2d Mario. 2d mario needs to take pages out of both sonic and old school Rayman's book and make their levels feel more like distinct worlds rather than sterile "movie sets" and the best way to do that is to bring that high level of interactivity to the stage to the 2d games.
Thise are interesting ideas, but I don't think it's something Mario needs to do, just like something like Meat Boy or DK wouldn't either benefit from it. Mario levels are usually based on a main idea and develop it, it's an approach inherently different to Sonic, Rayman and others. It's another style of platforming, not better or worst, but different. We should celebrate each series having it's own personality instead of trying to make all of them the same thing.

Spinluck

I honestly would put Megaman away from it. MMX I'd agree. But the original especially pre-SNES Megaman suffer from many, many physics and platforming glitches.

fair enough.

the only 2d Mario i've ever really liked was SMW,

went back and played SMB3 and just found that it wasn't as great as I remembered.

meanwhile SMW continues to be that anomaly for me.

Hopefully Koizumi gets his hands on it sometime down the road. guy is god tier in making Mario games i am sure he can do something epic with the 2d games aswell.

(he directed the galaxy games and is producer of odyssey he also had some work done in Majoras Mask and mario 64 i think)

Doubt it. Koizomi mainly works on the 3D games, which are made by a different team from the people who work on 2D Mario.

It's like Metroid. Sakamoto works on the 2D series while Tanabe produces the Prime games. Not a huge amount of overlap between the two development teams.

Sonic is interesting no matter what...it might be bad at times but its never "WAH WAH"

Sonic never WAH WAH'd cause he was too busy doing QUACK QUACK

I know its a joke post lol

NSMB has pretty good level design and gameplay, and there are some instances where its brushes with creativity, particularly U in design. But seeing the same assets, music, and artstyle has made it feel stagnant. U was going somewhere by using some creative backgrounds, but it needs to be expanded upon. I don't think the series needs a radical change but something should be spiced up in the visual and audio department.

Synth

Again, why this post assumes NSMB is the only 2D mario

It doesn't. Hell, I've posted explicitly regarding Mario Maker in this thread. When talking about experimenting with different styles though, Mario Maker can be excluded simply because it doesn't HAVE it's own style. It simply uses SMB1, SMB3, SMW or NSMB styles.

Mario experimenting more with different artsyles than Sonic is nonsense in general, but especially so after the 8-16bit era.

WonderzL

Banned

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ok

The general idea of looking outside the usual team for ideas seems to be the main takeaway from Mania.

(Mario clearly hasn't stagnated as much as Sonic had, but) Sega started to feel like an author who kept publishing books without having anyone beta read them first.

Branduil

Really the only thing that's applicable is that they could change the shitty aesthetic and tired wah wah music. It's a bit sad since Mario platformers were among the most inventive and daring when it came to presentation back in the day.

taoofjord

Can't agree with most of what you said. I will say, however, that the art in the NSMB series is disappointingly bland.

Additionally, Odyssey's art is unappealing. It's something I never thought I'd see in a key release of a 3D Mario game. I much prefer the look of Mario + Rabbids, Galaxy, and 3D World, which are all gorgeous (ARMS and Splatoon, too).

Boss Doggie

fair enough.

the only 2d Mario i've ever really liked was SMW,

went back and played SMB3 and just found that it wasn't as great as I remembered.

meanwhile SMW continues to be that anomaly for me.

While I like all of the classic 2D Mario, SMW is bashed a lot when compared to 3 even though I actually think it does many things better, like a more freeform platforming and liberal use of powers, and an actual point of a world map rather than a mere display.

It doesn't. Hell, I've posted explicitly regarding Mario Maker in this thread. When talking about experimenting with different styles though, Mario Maker can be excluded simply because it doesn't HAVE it's own style. It simply uses SMB1, SMB3, SMW or NSMB styles.

Mario experimenting more with different artsyles than Sonic is nonsense in general, but especially so after the 8-16bit era.

So there we already seen 4 different styles. Hell there are people saying that the SNES All Stars are not really matching their NES designs. And there's also the not-Mario SMB2. And Mario Maker itself isn't even "true" to those classic styles as despite being similar they have their own spin and physics like some weird Smash Bros. clone.

I'm referring to that more as a lesson that sega had to learn

Ah, was confused by that part lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Sure, Jan

That.... doesn't mean that they shouldn't engage with their fans more appreciatively like SEGA did with Sonic Mania...
Isn't the fact they continue to make stellar games appreciation enough?

It was that which was lacking on Sega's end for all those years and why simply making a Sonic game on par with the originals is considered such a celebratory thing.

Surprise us

Not only has the art become dull, but Mario's games have become all too predictable. Yes, in terms of the course-based, methodical 2D platformer, the podgy Italian remains at the top of his game.

But there's just no pizazz. From 64, to Sunshine, to Galaxy, to Odyssey - Mario has constantly reinvented himself and left jaws on the floor.

However, his more traditional adventures just feel so safe, recycling the same enemies, the same backdrops, etc.

Get rid of the lava world, the ice world, the sand world and just do something, anything, to liven things up.

Don't get me wrong, Sonic isn't immune from falling back on these tropes, but I'd argue his games do a lot more environmentally.

It probably helps that a fair few levels in Mania transition into each other, which brings me to my next point.

It's true, but the trite level themes and backdrops fall more into the art category. What was even worse with all these WiiU Mario games is that even the level design and gameplay was completely uninspired. NSMBWii was the last of these titles to surprise with actual gameplay ideas. The big amount of movement and rotation in level objects wasn't in any prior 2D Mario game, nor the multiplayer. Everything that followed NSMBWii though was just map packs with the same level mechanics from that game slightly re-arranged. I guess they had that coin collection gimmick once, which was completely inconsequential for the core gameplay. The Iwata Asks for that game was also funny, when the developers were really proud for including a single new enemy in that title.

Synth

So there we already seen 4 different styles. Hell there are people saying that the SNES All Stars are not really matching their NES designs. And there's also the not-Mario SMB2. And Mario Maker itself isn't even "true" to those classic styles as despite being similar they have their own spin and physics like some weird Smash Bros. clone.

4 styles is nice and all... but maybe you should pay attention to the post I was replying to.

2D Mario does have "a look" but so does Sonic, if anything Mario has experimented with different art styles much more often.

There are two distinct styles between the Sonic 4 entries alone... both look nothing like Advance, which looks nothing like Rush, which look nothing like 3DS Generations, which looks nothing like the 3DS Boom games.

You can find more experimentation for recent 2D Sonic than you can for the entire line of 2D Mario that Mario Maker almost entirely represents (Minus western Mario 2 and SMW2)... and that's before we start looking at the various Genesis, Master System and Gear Gear entries.

The only real major mistake with the NSMB franchise was releasing NSMB2 right next over U. It created an artificial "Mario Fatigue" that lasted a year or so until 3D World.

They haven't released a NSMB standalone release since with the next major 2D game being Mario Maker which was really well revived.
How's GTA4's Metascore looking?
One game being overrated doesn't mean a different game in a different franchise on a different console in a different genre is also poorly rated

Honestly as an owner of Mania I have to disagree that Mario should learn anything from it. What makes Mania great is that it's the safest, most meticulously emulated version of classic Sonic, and it's what fans have wanted if only because Sega had exhausted all efforts to be progressive with the franchise. Sonic hasn't worked since those initial run of games; yes there have been some solid entries along the way but generally speaking, Sega wins with Sonic when it plays it safe. Nintendo has been bolder with Mario and has succeeded every time because they understand the elasticity of that world.

Mania just shows me that Sega has no idea where to take this franchise and is better off just celebrating the past for nostalgia's sake. Great game, but Nintendo's better off doing what they're doing.

Boss Doggie

4 styles is nice and all... but maybe you should pay attention to the post I was replying to..

Yes I am, for the most part the differences you're using feels more related to the console than the actual artstyle.

Synth

Yes I am, for the most part the differences you're using feels more related to the console than the actual artstyle.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2 are on the same platforms.

Advance, Rush, Genarations and Boom are hardly natural technological progressions of each other. That's just BS.

VeeP

Having not grown up with the Sonic games I always found the 2d Sonic games to look awful.I appreciate 2D sprite work but outside of Sonic's design everything else ranged from kitsch to terrible. There's just so much of the late 80's/early 90's design ethos baked into the environment design that always looks so gaudy/busy.

Everything is so claustrophobic.
Tails-610.jpg

Studi.png

Do you feel the same way when playing the actual game, or have you not played it? In screenshots it seems busy, but when your playing you don't notice it. Everything blends together extremely well.

Pizza

I agree completely.

NSMB games have objectively good level design, but tbh the aesthetic sucks a ton of my enjoyment out of em.

A return to the 16 bit aesthetic (All-Star collection has some excellent spritework imo) and more layers of parallax scrolling backgrounds would be godtier for the series. I like what they do with the backgrounds in NSMB, but the rest of the art isn't terribly great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom