• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Netflix Videogame Adaptations Would You Like to See?

SOLDIER

With Castlevania already renewed for a second season (and apparently being real good, going to watch it later) as well as plans for Assassin's Creed to follow suit, could Netflix finally be the platform we've been waiting for to turn out decent videogame adaptations?

That remains to be seen, but under the assumption that animated Netflix shows based on videogames is about to become a fad, post what games you'd like to see get the Castlevania treatment. Feel free to be descriptive in what setting you would want, what animation studio, etc.

My top choices would be:

1. Final Fantasy VII

Last-Order-Final-Fantasy-VII-Screenshot.jpg

No surprises here, but in truth I could see this having a high chance of happening. Like with FFXV, Square will undoubtedly make a big cross media push for the FFVII Remake. With the Kingsglaive CG film not performing as expected but the free short Anime series Brotherhood getting a lot more praise, making a Netflix series seems like the best middle ground approach.

Rather than just straight adapting the original game's story (because that's what the Remake is for), and since Last Order already covered the Nibleheim incident, I would love to see the Netflix series approach a piece of FFVII's lore that has yet to be touched on: Tifa in Midgar.

Alone in a massive city, recovering from a mortal injury, and all of her friends and family presumed dead, I always wondered how Tifa went from a refugee country girl to somehow getting mixed up with a terrorist organization determined to take down Shinra. Her eventually meeting up with Barret and the partnership they form could make for a really interesting set of episodes, while also showing glimpses of other characters (such as Aerith) moments before the events of the original game. It even has the perfect place to end, with Tifa meeting a comatose Cloud in the alleyway, thus setting up the iconic bombing mission that kickstarts the game.

2. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

maxresdefault.jpg

Assuming that Konami doesn't Konami and allows for more Castlevania episodes, Simon's Quest would be a really great follow-up to the newly released series.

Why Simon's Quest, specifically? Because the material is vague enough that the writers could run wild with the concept without being acccused of deviating too far from canon. The concept of Simon frantically on the run to break the curse that is eating away at his life while being pursued by monsters at night feels like something out of Berserk. Plus, the infamously bad translation can be spun around to create all sorts of eccentric and untrustworthy townspeople, feeling similar to that series about Souls that everybody compares to everything.

Plus with this format, you can unironically spout this line:

55045-Castlevania_II_-_Simon's_Quest_(USA)-2.jpg

and have it feel genuine instead of forced.

A runner-up would be Castlevania: Rondo of Blood:

images

but only on the grounds that they stick to the original early 90's anime look, rather than the gothic PSP designs. I would love for them to pay homage to that era of Anime aesthetics and have a rocking soundtrack to boot. Plus it lets them differentiate from the immediate follow-up, Symphony of the Night.

Also I would very much like to see Maria destroy all her adversaries in animated form.

1316105-mariahunter.jpg

She warned Dracula not to do bad things.

Assuming they opt to go for studio Mir or another studio aching to an Anime/eastern animation style with a heavy emphasis on combat I wouldn't mind a jrpg, though no real preference a final fantasy is probably a safe bet. Maybe metal gear solid could work well, they've already shown Konami is willing to sign contracts for their properties.

I didn't think Castlevania was good at all. I don't have any suggestions as I feel it's just going to end up bad. I don't have faith at this point.

Seik

Banned
I could see an anime based on the original Xenoblade Chronicles.

I would watch it all one shot without going to sleep.

SOLDIER

Assuming they opt to go for studio Mir or another studio aching to an Anime/eastern animation style with a heavy emphasis on combat I wouldn't mind a jrpg, though no real preference a final fantasy is probably a safe bet. Maybe metal gear solid could work well, they've already shown Konami is willing to sign contracts for their properties.

I really, really wanted to say Xenogears, because there is no shortage of amazing characters and settings that you could build several seasons out of:

efecc00eca8d0eea6bc2385dc31c1560--mecha-anime-wallpapers-wallpapers.jpg

But the budget for that would be well above what any studio would want to put out for what is barely a cult classic JRPG. Perhaps if Square resurrected the brand the odds would be a little better, but I was trying to go for plausible choices with my picks.

Overwatch. We need an Overwatch show or a movie or something. This thing could be even bigger. Imagine the merchandise sales.

Liked the anime short for gravity rush, wouldn't mind more of that.
Never really played them but a Dark Souls/Bloodborne anime could be cool.
Also, any games from Platinum Games would work as well.

SOLDIER

Overwatch. We need an Overwatch show or a movie or something. This thing could be even bigger. Imagine the merchandise sales.

There will absolutely be an Overwatch thing at some point.

Problem is I'm torn on what would be best: a full CGI movie? An animated series from the studio that gave us the Doomfist trailer? Animated CGI shorts?

All of these are good ideas, I just can't decide.

ACESmkII

I am all for a Vampire Killer Ryu Rondo animated series but I think they should do a story with Simon after the Trevor arc is finished. Then move on to the story of Richter and then do the story of Alucard from Nocturne.

_Ryo_

Yakuza anime - Original story. Different from game.

Persona anime - Adaptation of Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Or 24 episode series of Persona 3 Portable Female Main Character version.

Dragon Quest anime - orginal story. Like and story similar to DQ8

I really, really wanted to say Xenogears, because there is no shortage of amazing characters and settings that you could build several seasons out of:

But the budget for that would be well above what any studio would want to put out for what is barely a cult classic JRPG. Perhaps if Square resurrected the brand the odds would be a little better, but I was trying to go for plausible choices with my picks.

Xenogears would also be great because it'd mean we no longer have to go through the slog that is Xenogears gameplay and world design to get the story

I would like to see an animated Bionic Commando Rearmed show happen, perhaps even a new storyline. I think it'll be a great addition for Netflix. I always found the Bionic Commando universe very interesting.

SOLDIER

Dragon Quest anime - orginal story. Like and story similar to DQ8

Already happened, I think.

Dragon+Warrior.jpg

Come on people, be creative. Don't just shout out franchises. Which Metroid would you want adapted? Does Starfox stick with his original crew or is Krystal part of the team? What animation studios or styles are involved?

I'm kind of amazed you took the time to reply to tell us how much you don't care.

Toxi

Banned
Come on people, be creative. Don't just shout out franchises. Which Metroid would you want adapted? Does Starfox stick with his original crew or is Krystal part of the team? What animation studios or styles are involved?
I don't think Metroid would work well as an anime, but if I had to choose one game... Metroid Prime 3. It has the most characters, including the other bounty hunters who all can have more development in an animated series than they did in the games. It also covers the most settings and scenarios of any Metroid game outside Federation Force, so you're not struggling to get blood out of a stone.

Astral

Xenogears would be amazing. Reading the perfect works makes it clear that the story was much too grand and ambitious to fit into the game. But you're right that it would require quite the budget.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Was going to say Overwatch too. There is so much story unexplored in the main game, and with the big number of characters there is, it would be pretty neat to see them all animated.

SOLDIER

Xenogears would be amazing. Reading the perfect works makes it clear that the story was much too grand and ambitious to fit into the game. But you're right that it would require quite the budget.

With Netflix talking about producing original anime, it would be a dream come true to see more shows get the animation budget of an anime but with a tighter script that avoids the usual foibles many anime productions suffer through.

I'd love something along the lines of the Voltron reboot, only something a lot less kid friendly. Voltron is decent but it clearly feels like something that was originally pitched to Nick or CN: lots of "kooky aliens interacting with the kooky characters" filler.

It would be wild to see a Xenogears series in that same style, only with the occasional moments of brutal violence mixed with existential hell.

Already happened, I think.

Dragon+Warrior.jpg

I'm kind of amazed you took the time to reply to tell us how much you don't care.

Actually, I think it'd be AWESOME if they go back and redub the show in the same way as a modern Dragon Quest game (British voice actors and modern localization). It'll never happen, but still ;_;

Speaking of stuff that'll never happen. I still love the idea of a live-action Zelda series with the creatures and makeup done by the Jim Henson Creature Shop. It's clear they love Nintendo, and I think if anything else they would do great work.

Top Bottom