• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Netflix Videogame Adaptations Would You Like to See?

CAR105 3

With Castlevania already renewed for a second season (and apparently being real good, going to watch it later) as well as plans for Assassin's Creed to follow suit, could Netflix finally be the platform we've been waiting for to turn out decent videogame adaptations?

That remains to be seen, but under the assumption that animated Netflix shows based on videogames is about to become a fad, post what games you'd like to see get the Castlevania treatment. Feel free to be descriptive in what setting you would want, what animation studio, etc.

My top choices would be:

1. Final Fantasy VII

Last-Order-Final-Fantasy-VII-Screenshot.jpg

No surprises here, but in truth I could see this having a high chance of happening. Like with FFXV, Square will undoubtedly make a big cross media push for the FFVII Remake. With the Kingsglaive CG film not performing as expected but the free short Anime series Brotherhood getting a lot more praise, making a Netflix series seems like the best middle ground approach.

Rather than just straight adapting the original game's story (because that's what the Remake is for), and since Last Order already covered the Nibleheim incident, I would love to see the Netflix series approach a piece of FFVII's lore that has yet to be touched on: Tifa in Midgar.

Alone in a massive city, recovering from a mortal injury, and all of her friends and family presumed dead, I always wondered how Tifa went from a refugee country girl to somehow getting mixed up with a terrorist organization determined to take down Shinra. Her eventually meeting up with Barret and the partnership they form could make for a really interesting set of episodes, while also showing glimpses of other characters (such as Aerith) moments before the events of the original game. It even has the perfect place to end, with Tifa meeting a comatose Cloud in the alleyway, thus setting up the iconic bombing mission that kickstarts the game.

2. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

maxresdefault.jpg

Assuming that Konami doesn't Konami and allows for more Castlevania episodes, Simon's Quest would be a really great follow-up to the newly released series.

Why Simon's Quest, specifically? Because the material is vague enough that the writers could run wild with the concept without being acccused of deviating too far from canon. The concept of Simon frantically on the run to break the curse that is eating away at his life while being pursued by monsters at night feels like something out of Berserk. Plus, the infamously bad translation can be spun around to create all sorts of eccentric and untrustworthy townspeople, feeling similar to that series about Souls that everybody compares to everything.

Plus with this format, you can unironically spout this line:

55045-Castlevania_II_-_Simon's_Quest_(USA)-2.jpg

and have it feel genuine instead of forced.

A runner-up would be Castlevania: Rondo of Blood:

images

but only on the grounds that they stick to the original early 90's anime look, rather than the gothic PSP designs. I would love for them to pay homage to that era of Anime aesthetics and have a rocking soundtrack to boot. Plus it lets them differentiate from the immediate follow-up, Symphony of the Night.

Also I would very much like to see Maria destroy all her adversaries in animated form.

1316105-mariahunter.jpg

She warned Dracula not to do bad things.
This we need to cover the belmonts and SOTN story to see if we get a shot at Demon castke Wars!

Also I would love to se richter do an item crash on an anime. That shit would be so damn cool.

SOLDIER

This we need to cover the belmonts and SOTN story to see if we get a shot at Demon castke Wars!

Also I would love to se richter do an item crash on an anime. That shit would be so damn cool.

Richter is basically the Goku of the Belmonts.

Maria is the Beerus

I've always believed that a mini-series (10-15 episodes) would be ideal for Bioshock (Infinite-1-2).

Structuring the story of Columbia and Rapture as a TV series without too much padding would make for a great TV under the right hands.

Shadowrun
Science fiction blended with fantasy. The world is at an odd place with the returning of magic and fantasy creatures, all the governments and superpowers changing, the advance of technology is also charging ahead. So many interesting developments with all the typical human drama including racism, corruption, greed, criminal activities etc.

Check out the bright netflix trailer, it's not Shadowrun but well, feels pretty close.

Nesther

Metal Gear as an anime on Netflix would probably end up pretty well, if they handle it with the same care as the Castlevania series.

A WipEout animated series; anime would be perfect for the already heavy Japanese stylings. In the vein of Initial D, showing the lives of individual pilots and machinations behind the scenes of the The Fall of the F9000.

There's already an existing lore and continuity, plus futuristic racing + utopic but increasingly corrupt society would make for a thrilling, if niche, show.

34967702556_40bd20652b_b.jpg

Not to mention, there's groundwork for just such story with the concept for a WipEout comic titled Wipeout Chronicles.

34197214593_1c9fec624b_z.jpg

Skulldead

The two that instantly come to mind are Wild Arms and W101. I think the characters and settings would be perfect for adaptation.

Wild arms already got it anime, but yeah it was not really from any game, it was quite average too

I would go with yakuza, the movie wasn't really good, but i think in a anime, it could work.

Mr_L

Ever since Portal 2 came out, I always wanted to see an animated comedy series geared toward kids with a focus on teaching science. I imagine Atlas and Peabody as vehicles for hilariously demonstrating different theorems and experiments while GLaDOS provides context through explanations and color commentary (i.e. insulting/giving backhanded compliments to everyone in the scene). There would of course be appearances by computing cores as well, both new and old. I honestly think it would have been a great concept to push while the Portal games were still very fresh in people's minds.

KATAMARY DAMACY

It can be from the perspective of either:

*The Prince
*King of Cosmos
*Queen of Cosmos and dealing with the King's insanity (or she can be as insane)
*Perspective of a roller up human trying to survive / or a relative who had a loved one become a star after getting rolled up, and now out for wacky revenge/rescue mission.

The OST and art alone would be glorious.

I'll add another vote for Overwatch, and I truly believe it's an absolute inevitability given how popular it'd be and how easy it would be to adapt with the wealth of lore available.

Orb

Since Castlevania got something, I want Konami to just make a Silent Hill series. I literally do not care what format. Just SOMETHING. Please. I'll even take an anime short. Whatever.

Anung

Un Rama
Since Castlevania got something, I want Konami to just make a Silent Hill series. I literally do not care what format. Just SOMETHING. Please. I'll even take an anime short. Whatever.

I'd rather have nothing. Team Silent was Silent Hill and Silent Hill is dead.

Deus ex would be good as a show. Even if its just set in the universe and follows around some random detective. Have it kind of like sherlock, it would be great.

Orb

I'd rather have nothing. Team Silent was Silent Hill and Silent Hill is dead.

Team Silent changed every game and was never a real consolidated team having maybe only a handful of devs shared between games. And one of those devs continuing past the first 4 didn't really help anything.

Also only Homecoming and arguably Book of Memories were the only flat out bad Silent Hill games, the others being ok to meh

Besides this isn't even about games, this is about adaptations lol.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm beginning to think an animated adaptation of Darksiders is the only way we're ever seeing what happens after the cliffhanger of 1.

Gravity Rush, liked the short but a full series would be great.

Rather than just straight adapting the original game's story (because that's what the Remake is for), and since Last Order already covered the Nibleheim incident, I would love to see the Netflix series approach a piece of FFVII's lore that has yet to be touched on: Tifa in Midgar.

Alone in a massive city, recovering from a mortal injury, and all of her friends and family presumed dead, I always wondered how Tifa went from a refugee country girl to somehow getting mixed up with a terrorist organization determined to take down Shinra. Her eventually meeting up with Barret and the partnership they form could make for a really interesting set of episodes, while also showing glimpses of other characters (such as Aerith) moments before the events of the original game. It even has the perfect place to end, with Tifa meeting a comatose Cloud in the alleyway, thus setting up the iconic bombing mission that kickstarts the game.

Hell yeah. This would be pretty damned awesome. I'd love this.

Wild ARMS! Get interest raised then Sony Swoops in with a new console game!

ocSxzQ.gif

Would love this. Especially if they did it with WA3 like this, Virginia's one of my favs from the series.

I really, really wanted to say Xenogears, because there is no shortage of amazing characters and settings that you could build several seasons out of:

But the budget for that would be well above what any studio would want to put out for what is barely a cult classic JRPG. Perhaps if Square resurrected the brand the odds would be a little better, but I was trying to go for plausible choices with my picks.

This would be my dream, would love this so much but it'll likely just remain a dream for those reasons and the budget it would take to fully realize it despite its age.

I want to see a sly cooper animated series in the same vein as this.

I know they are, or at least were, making a movie, but I think sly is far better suited for a series than a movie.

I loved that short.

Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Bayonetta

Would love to see TV shows in anime style for those three.

Skies would be so cool. There's nothing with that sense of adventure right now and the idea of sky pirates is still fucking cool. The closest I think we've gotten was the cool little show called Skyland.

gafneo

Banned
Not looking forward to Assassin's Creed anime. We need more game series that don't have much narrative like Doom. This way game focuses more on gameplay while a show is a counterpart filler.

Zubz

Banned
Oddworld; I love that world & the characters, but feel they never get any time to shine for most of the game. Besides, I feel Oddworld was always meant to be a movie series. Closest example outside of cutscenes was a reference in that awful "Game Over" show that, based on the dialogue, probably didn't use Oddworld characters initially.

Plus, at the rate the pentalogy's coming out at, this might be our only way to see the albino Squeek & whoever else is supposed to star in the last 3 games, as well as Fangus Klott & the albino Slig from the equally-awaited spin-offs.

Resident Evil as either Live Action tv series or Anime. Doesn't matter to me. Ham the shit out of it.

Devil May Cry anime series 2.

Gravity Rush anime series.

Smash Bros anime series.

Kid Icarus anime series.

Mario Kart cartoon series.

Does the adaptations have to be based off of specific installment in the series? Or can it just be based off of the series as a whole?

Specific Installment; LoZ: Breath of the Wild
Series as a whole; Metroid franchise

Was the first DMC anime that good? never watched it.

Was fine for what it was. Fleshed out Dante when he's not on world saving adventures. The fight scenes, while they make sense (he's killed what was essentially Satan's boss by this time in the series), are generally one-hit KOs. Mostly about Dante's day to day routine and how he deals with his lifestyle of demon hunting (hint: self-destructively). It's worth a look if only because it's more Devil May Cry. It's a short 12 episode series, so it's not much of an investment.

Loxley

Live action - Watch Dogs would actually make for a good show I think. Sort of a combination of Mr. Robot and Person of Interest. Go with Marcus as the main character and set it in San Fransisco. Plenty of room for some cultural commentary and satire as well.

Animated - Overwatch, Titanfall, or Zelda could all make for kick-ass animated shows.

Jashobeam

A Super Mario World anime that had an epic story taking up 26 episodes. There would be some crossover stuff with other Nintendo characters that would join in the adventure but the whole thing would primarily take place within Super Mario World.

Top Bottom