• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Netflix Videogame Adaptations Would You Like to See?

fernoca

A Mario + Rabbids similar to Skylanders.

Skylanders on Netflix had 12 episodes, so Castlevania having only 4 was a bit disappointing. At least season 2 will have 8.

Shenmue would be quite awesome.

Darksouls too perhaps. So many side stories they could have 😍
I didn't think Castlevania was good at all. I don't have any suggestions as I feel it's just going to end up bad. I don't have faith at this point.
What you didn't liked about it? I wanted to watch one episode before breakfast and end up watching the whole thing in one go lol.

Oh, I thought this was the other way around. I'd love to see a House of Cards Telltale-style game, or one where you sim rising from state office to the presidency and beyond being a general ratbastard.

Live action Persona 4 could be interesting, for a TV show. Put the Black Mirror team on a speculative fiction serial based in Planescape: Torment or Torment: Tides of Numenera. And the Voltron team on a Star Control 2 animated series!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Seeing these make me think Nintendo could really go all-in with multiple series, culminating in a huge SSB crossover. Defenders style.

Man I can't get this out of my head now. Nintendo Netlix animated universe. One season of Zelda, Metroid and Mario, each with some guests stars, and then SSB. Long ago there was some Zelda on Netflix rumor, would've been awesome if it happened.

Qfganth.jpg

JCHandsom

Metal Gear Solid. Everyone was clamoring for a movie adaptation, but I feel that games that follow a level structure map more easily to episodic storytelling.

But a metal gear series would mean just the story... Why would anyone want that?

I mean, it's by far the worst part of the games.

raw

Altazor

Diablo.

I ain't even kidding.

I know it'd be somewhat superficially similar to Castlevania, but hear me out for a bit: don't focus on the action of the game and don't even get really deep into the Sin War lore. Start by making it about Diablo's slow corruption of the town of Tristram. The first game's gothic horror vibe lends itself perfectly to a brooding tale of a slow descent into madness with some big religious undertones, set in a very Dark Age fantasy location. Focus on the illness/corruption of poor Prince Albrecht, focus on King Leoric getting more and more desperate and unhinged as time goes by, changing from a decent (if slightly arrogant) ruler to a full-blown maniac, focus on Lachdanan and how he went from unflinchingly defending his King to slowly realizing he has to do what he dreads most and becomes a reluctant, yet honorable regicide, focus on Archbishop Lazarus pulling the strings behind all that palace intrigue and corruption. Treat the Sin War stuff as "legends" in a storybook prologue, so don't make it the meat and potatoes of the series - just background stuff to serve as general context.
And after that first batch of episodes (let say, 4 out of an 8-episode season) start to focus on the heroes that end up fighting Diablo. You can tweak the story slightly and make it so all of them reach Tristram during its final days, before Lazarus leads the townfolk into the Butcher's lair under the Cathedral (instead of each of them going to Tristram after that happened) so the transition between "halves" isn't that abrupt. After that it's all about those heroes and maybe include references to some of the original game's sidequests, make Cain and Adria advisors to the heroes and then start to slightly introduce Sin War stuff into the foreground (mainly about Diablo's overall plot, the Horadrim's mission and who is Deckard Cain) just so it all starts to "make sense".

Of course, the season would end just as the first game: a bittersweet, ominous tone. Diablo is apparently defeated, just barely contained within the Soulstone, and the main hero piercing his head with it believing himself to be mentally/spiritually strong enough to withstand the Lord of Terror's corruption. A small glimmer of hope for Tristram that we all would know would be shortly quashed beyond recognition.

lome88

This. I would love to see an Netflix-made MGS show.

This would be super dope, but I would not be interested unless they got back some of the cast from the games. Say what you want about Big Boss from Phantom Pain, but I really missed David Hayter.

RedSwirl

I know Netflix is already doing Witcher, but I always thought it would be interesting to try to do some anime shorts based on the short stories in the first two books. In that situation, I think Yoshiaki Kawajiri should direct. I keep seeing similarities between Witcher and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust.

Metal Gear needs to be straight-up Head Gear/Production I.G./Mamoru Oshii.

With Zelda, I feel like the only option is Studio Ghibli.

NahaNago

mega man legends please. After that my list would be
  • soul calibur
  • wonderful 101
  • captain toad
  • mass effect
  • plants vs zombies
  • watch dogs 2 live action
  • bioshock
  • shadow of the colossus
  • star fox

edit: after remembering the quality of castlevania i think watch dogs 2 live actions would be best. Mass effect would be 2nd but they already made something and borderlands seems highly doable.

SOLDIER

On a side note I finished the first season of Castlevania.

I bet a good number of fans watched the fourth episode and immediately went:

"You motherfuckers better adapt Symphony of the Night!"

Needless to say I marked out, and want more.

Card Boy

Banned
Deus Ex would work very well similar to Ghost in the Shell. Maybe based off it off that book with Ben Saxon.
Assassins Creed with no future shit (similar to that Ezio short)
Zelda
Metroid
Mass Effect
Dragon Age

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Silent Hill
Like, seriously.
Silent Hill could make for some amazing TV show if handled right. Tone the supernatural stuff without getting rid of it completely and it could make some amazing show.

Devil May Cry would be neat.

Though, I would much rather give that to people who did Hellsing Ultimate. But that might be a bit difficult cause apparently three different studios made that show.

Hellsing Ultimate, known as Hellsing in Japan, is an original video animation (OVA) anime series animated by animation studios Satelight (OVAs I–IV), Madhouse (OVAs V–VII) and Graphinica & Kelmadick (OVAs VIII–X)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think I know of one, the Legacy of Kain series would work well within the confines of the episodic structure.

I'd be surprised if an Overwatch media expansion was not being planned. The cast and setting would be appealing to a wider audience than Warcraft and there is plenty of lore to be explored.

xealo

Didn't they make a movie that sort of sucked? Haven't seen it, but that's what I heard.

Sucked, depends on how much you like warcraft already.

Most WoW fans I know liked the film, it's just pretty mediocre to someone not already invested in the universe.

Final Fantasy VII:

An anime recounting the events of Final Fantasy VII would be a fantastic way to introduce a new generation to the characters and universe (probably) before FFVII hits PS4. A sequel/prequel extension to the original Final Fantasy VII storyline, similar to Advent Children and Crisis Core, would also be a welcomed idea. Square has already done animes for Crisis Core and FFXV in the past but those were both fairly brief. I'd love to see the ideas from those two amines taken to the next level with a Netflix anime. Square has never been shy about extending the Final Fantasy VII universe, so gimme it!

God of War:

God of War has become Sony's first party front runner over the years since its introduction to the world back in 2005. With the franchise's transition into Norse mythology, an animated Netflix series would be a great way to flesh out the new universe and the characters in a way that supports and extends the franchise going forward. An animated series would also serve as a way to keep fans pleased with new storyline content, especially since this franchise has become more narrative-driven than ever.

Silent Hill:

An animated series based around the haunting setting and characters of Silent Hill would be amazing. There are so many things that could be done with this! Every episode could be about a different character who ends up in Silent Hill. We could see existing characters from the franchise like Harry Mason or we could get original new characters or possibly a mix of the two. Konami and Netflix already had success with Castlevania so this seems like a no brainer, even if there are no plans for a new game entry in the series.

Top Bottom