• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What price is your cut off point for a next gen console (PS6, Xbox Series X2)

What is the maximum price you would pay for a next gen console?

• $500

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • $600

Votes: 89 32.0%
  • $700

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • $800

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • $900

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • $1000

Votes: 27 9.7%
  • $1100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1200

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Any price, I'm ballin

Votes: 43 15.5%

• Total voters
I see MS and Sony really trying to keep their console releases under that $500 price point.
That, along with heat, is the defining issue for the power limit of the consoles.

I'm not sure those two points stand anymore.
I don't know anyone who looks at the TDP or power costs when they buy a piece of electronics. If both consoles were 150 watt more, it wouldn't put anyone off buying one.

With regards to pricing, a console will last 5 to 7 years before needing to be upgraded, so paying a few hundred more for the console I don't think will harm sales either.

People regularly pay $1200 US for a new phone every three years, so I think they have been trained to pay more for cutting edge electronics.
We saw that Sony increasing their console price hasn't hurt their sales at all.
Here in Australia the PS1 launched at the price of $700AUD (1308.17 in today's money) , in 1995.
The Sega Saturn launched at $800AUD (1495.00 in today's money)
The PS3 launched at $1000AUD (1,351.18 in today's money) for fucks sake.
The XSX and PS5 cost $750 AUD at launch.
The consoles still sold as well back then at those massive prices.

I believe that Australians would pay the equivalent of those prices again if they were asked, and the consoles were more powerful.

What would be your cut off limit price wise?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure I have one these days. But if it’d be $1200 I’d just wait and watch as the price goes down and buy it cheaper anyway. Demand wouldn’t be very high for something like that.

Comparatively a phone has a lot of utility, a console does not.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Not sure I have one these days. But if it’d be $1200 I’d just wait and watch as the price goes down and buy it cheaper anyway. Demand wouldn’t be very high for something like that.

Comparatively a phone has a lot of utility, a console does not.
For $1200 might as well build you a PC that would destroy the next two console generations.

baphomet

$500 is plenty for a PS6 to play it's exclusives.

Unless they start doing day 1 PC releases, then I'll say goodbye to them just like I did Xbox.

mrmustard

Banned
500. If it's more i would switch to Pc. Would save me the online gaming costs for 6-7 years and i expect PS games to get released much faster or even day one in the future.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
For $1200 might as well build you a PC that would destroy the next two console generations
Yeah but if it’s $1200 and they’re forced to slash it to $600 just to make it sell I imagine you’d get some pretty great hardware for a low price.

With PC pricing being what it is, especially graphics card prices, the PS5 and Xbox Series X look like absolute bargains, even with the recent PS5 price increase here in the UK. I would happily pay up to £600 for a PS6 on that basis because for less than the cost of a mid-range PC graphics card, you get a complete gaming system that will last you as long as 6-7 years.

The only issue with the new consoles is the price of the SSD storage which is expensive and limited in capacity. I wish Sony and Microsoft would relax their policy of having native games only run on the NVMe storage and allow it to run from external SSDs as well. I play games on my PC and there is very little difference in loading speeds and performance in the majority of games between SATA3 and NVMe SSDs. Sure, you might save a second or two loading but do games like NBA 2K and FIFA really need to be on NVMe storage?

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Eh, more expensive machines for more simple and dumb games that play it safe with design and take no risks whatsover?

I wish developers would just use whatever cheap hardware they have in innovative ways, like Nintendo does.

Kinda weird that we're so bored with current gen that we're already talking about the next one.

supernova8

Banned
Kinda weird that we're so bored with current gen that we're already talking about the next one.
Comedy Central Thank You GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Yeah so far this gen just feels like last gen upscaled to 4K60. Basically like PS4 Pro Deluxe as opposed to PS5.
Aside from maybe Ratchet & Clank with the super fast loads between dimensions, I've seen very little that's like "woah we couldn't do that last gen!"
We haven't had a "but can it play Crysis" moment for ages.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Eh, more expensive machines for more simple and dumb games that play it safe with design and take no risks whatsover?

I wish developers would just use whatever cheap hardware they have in innovative ways, like Nintendo does.

Yeah because talking about a next console generation is something that never happened during previous console's lifecycles. Or during the Switch's tenure, for that matter.

Get outta here.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Never cared for Xbox and don't think I'll get another Sony console, unless they change the kind of games they have on offer.

Maybe if they make a Vita 2...

Elios83

Prices are going up.
In the PS2 era 299$ was the acceptable price, then with PS4 399$ became the accepted price.
Now we're seeing people are more than willing to buy a PS5 at 500-550$.
That means that 499$ is the new base price with room for 599+$ bundles and Pro systems.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ask me at the time. There's every chance Sony have moved on to day one PC games by then in which case I'm out.

Griffon

I'll be gaming on PC, Steam Deck 2+ and Deckard VR3.0

I'm done with consoles, their game selection is too small, libraries of games I bought don't survive more than 2 generations, and new game prices are way too high (edit: and paying a sub for P2P online is a fucking non starter).

The service that consoles offer is just too trash for me to care. Exclusives are not enough to sway me anymore.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm kinda surprised we got so many $500 votes. I just automatically asssumed that the PS6 was going to be at the minimum $600. I honestly want a far more powerful console next time around.
Yeah so far this gen just feels like last gen upscaled to 4K60. Basically like PS4 Pro Deluxe as opposed to PS5.
Aside from maybe Ratchet & Clank with the super fast loads between dimensions, I've seen very little that's like "woah we couldn't do that last gen!"
We haven't had a "but can it play Crysis" moment for ages.

Cause that pretty much is what this gen is. Plus, all the sequels right out the gate doesn't help. Just those 2 upgrades are already a big jump from last gen and took the majority of the power of this gen. If the next gen keeps with the 4k and 60 fps we should see a dramatic jump in the visual wowness. Granted I'm guessing we will be 8k60 for next gen.

Last edited:

Mithos

Haven't gotten a PS5 yet because its too much. considering you need at least an extra nvme of 1-2TB or so.
PS5 ~€640 + 1-2TB nvme ~€150-250...

b0uncyfr0

As someone who was suduced by a series x - ive rebuilt an older PC and damn, some things are easier/better.

The games, the modding, the ability to do other things apart from gaming at once.

I wouldn't pay more than 600 honestly.

supernova8

Banned
Cause that pretty much is what this gen is. Plus, all the sequels right out the gate doesn't help. Just those 2 upgrades are already a big jump from last gen and took the majority of the power of this gen. If the next gen keeps with the 4k and 60 fps we should see a dramatic jump in the visual wowness. Granted I'm guessing we will be 8k60 for next gen.
Yeah if next gen targets 8k60 then we're fucked all over again lol.

I don't deal with dollars but if a PS5 today is £480 and a Series X is £450 then I suppose 5 years or so from now I would be happy if consoles still cost £450-500. With inflation I think next gen consoles are going to be about £550 or maybe even £600.

If a console was my only way to play games then I'd probably be willing to pay £600-700. But I am someone who buys PC parts that cost more than an entire console itself lol. My CPU was £600 and my GPU was £1,200. If I still have a PC when next gen consoles come out I'll be waiting for price drops/Slim revisions which is exactly what I'm doing right now. I don't really expect any price drops on current gen consoles but I'm waiting for a PS5/XSX Slim.

Last edited:
Whilst I appreciate the rising cost of gaming is a concern for many - it’s still one of the most cost effective past times for me. A night out can cost several hundred - so 500, 600, whatever for several years worth of entertainment on tap still seems fairly good value.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We're getting close to it. I always buy multiple consoles. If any of them are obnoxiously expensive, I'll wait it out.

And that's not a bluff. I've only bought a handful of $70 games. It dramatically lowered my impulse buys, and I buy tons of games.

Top Bottom