• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What price is your cut off point for a next gen console (PS6, Xbox Series X2)

What is the maximum price you would pay for a next gen console?

• $500

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • $600

Votes: 89 32.0%
  • $700

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • $800

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • $900

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • $1000

Votes: 27 9.7%
  • $1100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1200

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Any price, I'm ballin

Votes: 43 15.5%

• Total voters
I won't buy any PS or Xbox console day one anymore, both have been crushing disappointments so far and almost completely pointless upgrades. I could've rocked a PS4 right up til FFXVI and not missed anything I cared about.

REDRZA MWS

jKDero2.gif

soulbait

Not sure. I will pay $1,000+, but I would probably not get all the consoles as quickly as I usually do in generations.

Katajx

Gold Member
Traditionally where they make their money is off of the software sold vs the hardware. Paying more for a console is not going magically make it better for me as a consumer.

That just means they are going to have higher profit margins which they will keep as much of that as they can. That isn’t going to get me as big of a leap as it used to seem in performance.

They keep coming up with new marketing buzzwords for the next thing we “have to have” in order to get us to spend more.

I’m not completely sold on the metrics and the implementation of teraflops and ray tracing.
Maybe I’m blinded by nostalgia goggles, but how far have we really pushed it from the base PS4 to a 4090?

Katajx

Gold Member
For instance I mistakenly thought we were going to get RTGI when they said consoles were getting raytracing.Unless I am mistaken we have mostly gotten ray traced shadows and reflections which for me don’t seem worth the performance cost.

GreatnessRD

I love pc gaming but your not building a good pc for 1200 these days the graphics card alone is near that price.
Challenge accepted

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NrrTcb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 CORE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($608.67 @ Newegg Sellers)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1210.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-08 06:50 EST-0500

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We already had a price increase for consoles after 2 decades of hovering between£/$300-400 let's keep it at that for now otherwise they'll be ballooning each gen and before we know it we'll be at that £/$1000 price point.

Jayjayhd34

Challenge accepted

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NrrTcb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 52 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 CORE Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($608.67 @ Newegg Sellers)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1210.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-08 06:50 EST-0500

When unreal engine 5 games start coming that pc would struggle. 4k is also out question for most new games. Your also limiting upgrades with 650 watt psu. I would of dropped ram to 16gb and gone with a more future proof psu.

You do get more than I thought but don’t think that would last two generations.

Last edited:

dcx4610

$1000 but I think there's a good chance I'll be PC + whatever Nintendo does next gen only. As long as Sony and Microsoft keep putting out exclusives on PC and the fact that consoles are pretty much mini PCs now, I don't see a reason to own them. I think I've turned my PS5 once after beating Miles Morales.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Two skus at launch
normal for 500/600 dollars and pro 1.000/1.200 dollars ...
Time to give players choice for a more beef hardware

Last edited:

odhiex

Depends on my monthly income and purchasing power then. I would not push to buy something that is beyond my reach, I have family to feed, you know?🤣

Barakov

Gold Member
Anything over $500 and I'm thinking screw it and just build a gaming PC. Still, I think for most people $600 and maybe even $700 would okay for them. Outside of the hardcore though, that's a tough sell.

Azurro

Banned
The price point for the PS6 will be $600 due to inflation, it's already 550€ in Europe, I can't imagine an extra 50 euro being much of a jump.

Spending $1K+ to upgrade my iPhone yearly (max 2 years) has changed my perspective on consoles. They're relatively cheap and will last me 3+ years (until next cycle or mid gen update). Definitely getting all the consoles day one again next gen

GreatnessRD

When unreal engine 5 games start coming that pc would struggle. 4k is also out question for most new games. Your also limiting upgrades with 650 watt psu. I would of dropped ram to 16gb and gone with a more future proof psu.

You do get more than I thought but don’t think that would last two generations.
They'll be able to do console 4K with medium/low settings and get that 30 FPS and/or close to 60 with all these damn scaling techs and fake frame things, lol. And while 2 gens might be a stretch, it's plausible only because the PS4 came out in '13 and they're still producing games for that. Now will they be able to do 4K Ultra super duper quality and all that? Absolutely not, but they'll still be able to game and game well. I agree that the PSU needed to be upped, but I was trying to stay on budget, lol. Could drop the ram down like you said. *Firm handshake*

0, haven't got the current ones. Would have a while ago but the shortages stopped me. Always used to get them at day one. PC is enough, don't have any desire to get the next version.

Top Bottom