• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What price is your cut off point for a next gen console (PS6, Xbox Series X2)

What is the maximum price you would pay for a next gen console?

• $500

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • $600

Votes: 89 32.0%
  • $700

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • $800

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • $900

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • $1000

Votes: 27 9.7%
  • $1100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1200

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Any price, I'm ballin

Votes: 43 15.5%

• Total voters

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Eh, more expensive machines for more simple and dumb games that play it safe with design and take no risks whatsover?

I wish developers would just use whatever cheap hardware they have in innovative ways, like Nintendo does.

Kinda weird that we're so bored with current gen that we're already talking about the next one.
Take games like Vampire Survivors

I had a ton of fun playing that game and that sure didn't take a lot of horsepower

GHG

This is an impossible question to answer. What do these next gen consoles entail?

I purchase based on value, not price. The vast majority of other rational consumers are the same.

Last edited:

Kacho

$500 for a console is enough. Any more and they’d have to offer some beefy hardware with way fewer compromises to performance and fidelity.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The phone analogy is a bit disingenuous.

My last iPhone purchase was $100 out of pocket after trading in my three year old iPhone.

Nobody is spending a full $1200 on a phone every three years.

DaGwaphics

Comedy Central Thank You GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Yeah so far this gen just feels like last gen upscaled to 4K60. Basically like PS4 Pro Deluxe as opposed to PS5.
Aside from maybe Ratchet & Clank with the super fast loads between dimensions, I've seen very little that's like "woah we couldn't do that last gen!"
We haven't had a "but can it play Crysis" moment for ages.

Well, I mean we haven't gotten many games released yet that are current gen only and the few we have started development before the specs of the new machines were finalized. 2023 should start to change things a bit more, I hope.

supernova8

Banned
Well, I mean we haven't gotten many games released yet that are current gen only and the few we have started development before the specs of the new machines were finalized. 2023 should start to change things a bit more, I hope.
Yeah I'm hoping the same. I can't remember how far in advance Playstation announces games but if we say a six-month marketing ramp before release then Sony will need to have announced a bunch of games by summer for "2023" to end up being true (I'm assuming here that most/all first party Xbox games end up getting delayed into 2024.... sorry but what do you expect??).

Fox Mulder

Good luck to the first company that tries a $1000 console. Most people buy expensive phones on contract, and consoles have always been sold at a loss because they make money on all the games. Digital sales taking over will give them a bigger cut.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People who think the next generation of consoles is going to be 500 are going to be disappointed.

Fbh

$600.
Consoles are supposed to be affordable.
If we enter the $1000 (or near that) range I'd rather just get a PC.

I'm done with new consoles. Except maybe Nintendo.

Getting a PS5 was such a bitch for so long and the lack of truly "next-gen" games didn't seem worth the hassle anyway. PSVR2 being expensive as fuck sealed the deal for me. Unless the next-gen consoles offer a truly unique experience, fuck em. My PS4 Pro still works fine as a Blu-ray player and a streaming device. That's about what I'm willing to pay for another console at this point.

I am a casual PC gamer now and I'm never going back.

CLW

With inflation $500 in five years is a STEAL by then a ps3 would cost probably $1000 and a ps4 $750 ps5 $600

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
$800 felt like a lot for the ps5 because of the pandemic but I had it sitting in front on me in 2021 just required meeting another human being in public.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The new 300 is 500 now. So 600 would be the most and it would have to be like a PS5/Series X jump in power relative to what year it is.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I paid $600 USD in 2006 for a PS3, which is equivalent to $833 in today's money, not including tax, a second Sixaxis and an HDMI cable. I think $600 for a PS6 would be fair.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It hurts not being able to choose below 500 in this poll.

At that price point i would cash extra and go for pc.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Yeah so far this gen just feels like last gen upscaled to 4K60. Basically like PS4 Pro Deluxe as opposed to PS5.
Aside from maybe Ratchet & Clank with the super fast loads between dimensions, I've seen very little that's like "woah we couldn't do that last gen!"
Demons Souls still hasn't been beat. I played TLOU Remake and then TLOU Pt II on PS5 right after, and, to your point, I think Pt II upgraded for PS5 looks better than Remake. More detail and variation to the environments, imo

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Everything's getting more expensive. I think that if MS and Sony want to keep the arms race going, then they'll both adopt the Series S and Series X model and put out machines at a couple of price points.

Belthazar

Well, PS4 was the same in comparison to PS3... The difference being that you couldn't actually play PS3 games on PS4 which resulted in PS3 support being dropped faster.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The answer really depends on Sony's PC strategy and whether or not my kids want a PlayStation. With any luck I can skip Sony's box and play the games on PC relatively soon after release on the console.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think both consoles are around $650 cdn now. I forget and too lazy to check but it’s around that price.

I’d go to $750 cdn. But no more.

At some point down the line I’ll replace my laptop with another one and for the first time I’ll get a gaming laptop (I haven’t had a tower for 15 years). I’ll put my money towards that. I’ll keep Series X as I need a 4K movie player.

SSfox

giphy.gif

Don't care, when ps6 will be announce we will start debating this, right now just enjoy the present, ps5 gen barely even started

Fbh

But what about the games that don't appear on the PC platform and/or you have to wait several years after Console release to get it on PC?

If you aren't willing to own multiple systems you'll always miss out on some games. Like this year if you only got a Ps5 you won't be playing Hi fi Rush or Startfield and if you only got an Xbox you won't be playing Spiderman 2 and FFXVI.
Consoles being affordable can offset this a bit because owning multiple systems isn't THAT expensive , you can get a digital Ps5 + a Series S (or a Switch) for $700.

But if we move into the territory of $1000 or more for a single console, then at least for me I would probably only own 1 system because I don't want to spend another $1000 just to get access to a couple of exclusive games.
And if I'm only going to have a single system and it's going to be $1000 or more I'd rather get a PC because ultimately it has the widest selection of titles. Not only do you get all major third party games, you also get everything from MS on day 1, basically all indies and increasingly more Sony games (though after a while) , and that's before adding stuff like emulation.

Esppiral

Depends on what is on the box if it has trash hardware like most Nintendo consoles, no more than 300€ If it has ok'ish hardware like PS5 and SX 500€ is fine, if they hardware is actually powerful I wouldn't mind paying 800€ and up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Considering the rise of inflation since the current gen consoles launched in 2020, I fully expect their replacements to be in the $700+ range.

Considering I've played my Switch 1000x more than either of them since I got them, I'll probably be skipping next gen Sony and Microsoft consoles - unless they're portable.

Goofy

I’d pay up to seven hundred US dollars. or more but I wouldn’t enjoy doing so.

With inflation and the high cost of new/smaller nodes, prices are going to have to go up if we want great platforms. I think a high upfront cost is worth it.

I hope next gen doesn’t try the whole two tier (S/X) approach again.

supernova8

Banned
Well, PS4 was the same in comparison to PS3... The difference being that you couldn't actually play PS3 games on PS4 which resulted in PS3 support being dropped faster.
Yeah I was actually going to make that comparison. I suppose them being on AMD x86 again (and probably again for PS6) makes it that much easier to do cross-gen and therefore we're doomed to prolonged cross-gen for all eternity.

LordOfChaos

The PS5 post price hike is already 750 dollars after 15% taxes in Canada. I wouldn't really intend to spend any more than that. And I'm also starting to wonder if I'd even get enough use out of a next gen console after this cycle.

supernova8

Banned
LOL @ people for 500, and even 600

It's like you refuse time passes and changes
Nah PS4 was $399, which is apparently $499 in today's money.

Remember the PS3 bombed at $599. Plus, assuming gaming has moved even further toward being almost entirely subscription-based, there's an argument to be made that upfront next-gen console prices will go down, assuming you also have to sign up for like a year of the relevant subscription service.

Robbinhood

Banned
All depends on the hardware they are selling.

For example I aint paying 400+ for a switch with that shite hardware. I'd pay $800 for a PS6 with a beast of a GPU/CPU. Context.

TonyK

Haven't gotten a PS5 yet because its too much. considering you need at least an extra nvme of 1-2TB or so.
PS5 ~€640 + 1-2TB nvme ~€150-250...
You don't need it, you want it. From all the people I know with a PS5, me included, no one have an extra nvme. You simply uninstall what you don't play.

I can understand you want that extra space, but it's not "needed".

1000 bucks if the power scales up accordingly. (console scale not Nvidia scale)
I would like to know what kind of power to expect from a console that was designed with 1000 bucks in mind.

Brigandier

I'm happy to pay five hundred and ninety nine great british pounds.... (Doesn't have the same ring to it does it 🤣)

But it would have to have 2tb+ storage and really solid specs and good RT performance.

At this point in time I'm so disappointed by the offerings on console I'd prefer to just stay on PC from now on. Ask me again tomorrow and I might have a different opinion.

TexMex

I can’t imagine how much they’d have to charge to get me to not buy a ps6 at launch. It would be something that’s just flat out unrealistic for them to be able to launch at.

250 dollars. I buy at least 1 generation behind, but as the numbers get higher, probably 2.

It also helps that console exclusives that are good are rarer than they were back in the day.

Top Bottom