• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What *realistic* wishes do you have for Bioware fixing Mass Effect Andromeda?

Lime

So now that Mass Effect Andromeda has launched, we've seen how rough the state of the game is in and how many bugs and design flaws there are in this game. So I figured it would be nice to at least compile some of the technical things we want improved that would realistically and potentially able to be corrected Bioware in their post-launch support. That perhaps give us a nice indication of what we can realistically expect from Bioware and EA in terms of their effort to fix the most egregious flaws.

Personally I would like the following fixes:

• A different and better eye texture on human characters. Usually human characters in Bioware games all use the same eye texture, so this shouldn't be that difficult to fix, (unless there's something fundamentally wrong with their implementation of FB3)
  • The dripping rain on the head while wearing a helmet so it looks like Ryder is sweating profusely.
  • An option to skip the galaxy map animation. Just make it an option to skip the animation sequence and simply only load whatever assets need to be loaded.
  • Less animation bugs in the cutscenes and idle NPCs - PeeBee's reverse gun, Avenger glued to a NPC's hand, eyeballs spinning like cue balls, Cora's walking animation
  • Polishing up NPCs that do weird shit for no reason - the drunk lady NPC, the protest in the Nexus, the handshake
  • Expand and advance the limited character creator (already planned, as far as I'm aware of)
  • Diversify the NPCs a lot more, since everyone seems to basically look alike with the same few assets used to create individual NPCs. But maybe that is beyond the scope of being a realistic wish
Unrealistical wishes would be stuff like facial animations and making a better lighting solution (the visual presentation can be very flat when not using directional lighting). These are impossible to fix now and would require too large of an investment, workpower, and time.

I'm really interested in hearing what others expect and what their realistic wishes they have for a more polished experience.

realcZk

As you mentioned above, I'd love to see some improvements to the galaxy map animations. It just takes too long to travel from point to point with all the zooming and slow transitions.

Vengal

Tempest not going to orbit when you enter it, sometimes you just want to step off the planet for a second not goto space.

I hope they prioritize character creator improvements, or at least let us edit our Ryders after new stuff has been implemented.

pa22word

Realistically I don't expect them to do anything else other than "no comment" anyone who asks and crap out dlc packs while quietly moving on to the next project with their tail between their legs.

Then in 3-4 years they'll have a pr campaign as part of the hype cycle talking about how much they learned from the project and how improved the new game will be, similar to what we already saw with this game in relation to me3. Same shit, different day.

Peroroncino

I want an option for this to play when I'm looking at the galaxy map. The track in Andromeda is good, but not ME2 good, not even close.

And I'd like for them to replace eyes, I won't ask for entire animations and facial capture rework, but you can at least exchange those dead ass eyes.

Dervius

Wasn't there a tweet or something today from one of the devs talking about how they were putting a plan together for future support and improvements, directly referencing the animations?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would be very surprised if they really can rework a lot of the facial animation stuff.

If they could tweak eyes at the least I think it would go a long way.

Da3 didn't get hammered at all close to how this game did. Maybe in the community, but the press threw roses at it like every other bio ware game.

Because it was a great game with a shit ending. Does the ending invalidate the trip getting there? For most people no.

SRTtoZ

I mean, AC Unity had a ton of patches and got a lot better so there is hope, but yea a lot for work needs to be done. I'm doubtful that they fix the animations though. I mostly see them fixing lots and lots of bugs.

Feeroper

Realistically I don't expect them to do anything else other than "no comment" anyone who asks and crap out dlc packs while quietly moving on to the next project with their tail between their legs.

Then in 3-4 years they'll have a pr campaign as part of the hype cycle talking about how much they learned from the project and how improved the new game will be, similar to what we already saw with this game in relation to me3. Same shit, different day.

This feels like the most likely scenario here. Maybe a couple little things get touched up, but I'm not expecting anything major at all.

Realistically I expect a fix for many of the little bugs that add to a goofy experience. Hearing people conversing when there is no one around, teammates talking about already completed quests, hard resets, game break MP bugs like vanishing Ascended Orbs, quest triggers not working until a restart, frozen enemies, bizarre animation errors, etc.

I run into them too often, but these can be fixed. Strange faces and bad writing will not be.

BiggNife

Some kind of fix on the eye shading is a reasonable request and would go a long way into making the models look less creepy. I don't expect them to fix the animations because that's a much larger ask.

_woLf

Other than things already mentioned in the OP, I really want to see the lighting updated. I'm not far into the game, but the lighting in the first ark area was very bad.

I also hope there is a way to edit your characters appearance post-creation if they're planning on adding more stuff.

In addition to the concerns in the OP, It'd be nice if they found a way to adjust the scene people have discussed with questionable writing for the trans NPC that you meet.

MP has some odd rubberbanding stuff that's not fun (seems more prevalent on XB1?).

For the galaxy scanning stuff I just keep my phone in one hand and the controller in another, though I think it's feedback definitely worth looking at.

emag

Besides the stuff in the OP (particularly the space traversal animation), I'd like to see streamlining of the UI (pressing the menu/start button should jump straight to the map, instead of the redundant empty menu screen; crafting/buying/selling needs a massive clean-up; objective markers should be muted when off-screen; items should be picked up with a button press rather than hold + menu; etc.).

There's no easy way to fix all the garbage fetch quests and junk looting/management/crafting/scanning, but perhaps by increasing holding capacity and having a few good pieces of equipment lying around in conspicuous places (like ME2) they'd be less problematic and more easily ignored.

My realistic wish was that they would have delayed it instead of rushing it for this fiscal year.

It's crazy because I think just about everyone wouldn't have blinked a eye if it got delayed, before seeing a lot of the videos. Think it was more surprising that it never got delayed.

If they could do some post polishing of animations here and there I would be happy, doesn't have to be entire game, just the most egregious ones.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm still early on and I haven't hit too many issues but so far I would like to see a steadier frame rate, more natural eye shaders, an option to speed up the galaxy map animations, and an adjustment to the lighting placement in some cutscenes/conversations. Often times there is a bright spotlight on the character conversations that is unflattering to the models.

SMG

Too late for MEA but it might be time for Bioware to give the player an actual character, one face, one voice. The Witcher model.

Also have a shorter game with the effort more focused on less missions.

wowzors

Console specific but I would like to see the frame rates improved.

In general more character customization, if they make the cutscene and conversation animations better this game would be top class.

Zok310

Banned
I dont think they put in a good effort. I think they grab our money and bail never to be heard from again.

Corpekata

Banned
I feel like the loot and rewards could use some rebalancing. Like why bother sending out Strike teams when they're gonna return with like 30 credits and like 20 of a material you have 400 of? Or bother having ranks 1 and 2 of the crafted material when players are going to blaze through to rank 3 /level 10 very quickly. Feels like the various currencies and materials are all out of whack with way to steep of costs.

Granted, maybe at Gold it becomes worth it but that's quite a grind to get there.

Lamptramp

Most likely to be fixed I assume would be the character creator and perhaps the "lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll’s eyes" ;)

I'd like to see them address the disparity for the romance options in one way or another too, as it really does add to the feeling of the whole project being rushed/not giving a toss. Of course thats as unlikely to be fixed as any of the issues you've already noted in the OP.

I would say though, I've not played the game so doubtless there are a myriad of smaller issues those playing (and enjoying it) would appreciate being addressed.

Frankly thats what I believe is most realistic.

Changing the eye shaders would go a long way. Fixing animations like Peebee's backwards gun goes beyond a reasonable request and is absolutely expected.

- Changes to lighting so it isn't as harsh / doesn't make skin look so flat. Probably via a post processing solution but I'm assuming they aren't doing that on consoles for performance reasons.

- cutscene jank like Liam's arm stuck in mid air during a dialogue

- animation time to jump from one planet to another in galaxy map shortened. Hopefully by removing that weird thing that it does where it will over zoom in, then zoom out again.

- revise some menus or at least add some tutorials for them so you aren't so overwhelmed by them at the start

- more options in character creator so it's easier to make the face you want.

204729-fable.jpg

Truant

I don't think it can be fixed. While I haven't played it myself, everything I've seen just looks half baked and uninspired.

Maybe I had high expectations, but nothing in the game feels alien. I thought we were in for some crazy stuff, seeing as this is a different galaxy. It's just the same shit over and over again. Desert planet. Snow planet. Bipedal aliens with guns. Everyone speaks english.

How cool would it be if a major part of the game was actually trying to figure out what other aliens were saying. Deciphering their languages as you encountered them.

Ushay

- Character creator is at the top of my list. They need way more depth than the one at launch. Probably my biggest disappointment. Facial hair especially.

- Update NPCs faces after they improve the Cc, obviously.

- Update cinematics, improve the NPC emotion in most major conversations. Thus is probably the most visible issue for most player.

- Do something about the horrific lag in multiplayer.

EA can fix this if they feel the need to, and I'm assuming they still hold some value over this franchise. A lot of single player developers continued to get top support post release, Witcher 3 being the most prominent example.

CGwizz

Bioware is no CDprojectred, i remenber being reporting problems in mass effect 3 forums and they dont give a fuck.

Realistic wishes? different textures for human eyes, maybe touch up how the shaders look a bit, fast forward the galaxy map movement animation, reorganize the UI works (specifically, streamline the quest log).

They'll probably add a few more options in the character creator, but I don't care too much about that. They aren't redoing cutscenes or redoing lines for stuff that's already there.

I expect that maybe half of the wished for things will get resolved with patches, the other half will be ignored, and the inevitable story DLC will probably be middling to bad, and have one outstanding effort that makes people go "holy shit, THIS should have been the whole game!" like Lair of the Shadow Broker did.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The price.

With this amount of backlash and bad press it's likely to drop in price fast and try to win back the crowd with dlc.

Patrick S.

Banned
The interaction hotspots disappear if you don't look at them at exactly the right angle. I often have to walk back and reapproach hotspots for them to work. That's the only problem I've encountered so far that really bothered me. It happens far too frequently, though.

Malreyn

They need to add a way to reconnect to EA servers from the options menu...putting the PS4 to rest mode loses connection all the time but there's no way to reconnect unless you go back to the main menu.

Top Bottom