• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What *realistic* wishes do you have for Bioware fixing Mass Effect Andromeda?

Corpekata

Banned
Oh and they absolutely need to give options to reduce the amount of SAM talking and whatnot. Not so bad in the more linear moments but when you're exploring and going in and out of danger zones the constant spam about it is incredibly grating, especially when you couple this with the fact you get visual cuess about it as well.

There is no realistic way for Bioware to fix this outside of a NBA Live style recall/refund situation.

They would have to basically rewrite 90% of the game, remodel tons of characters, fix countless bugs etc. Not happening.

RdN

They need to add a way to reconnect to EA servers from the options menu...putting the PS4 to rest mode loses connection all the time but there's no way to reconnect unless you go back to the main menu.

So much this.

I also wish they could improve the netcode for the Multiplayer. Ruberbanding in a lot of matches.

As far as I'm concerned they need to go over the whole game and redo the facial animations for most of the human characters in those scenes where they clearly don't work. Particularly the main character. There are several scenes with default Scott Ryder where the acting is simply wrong and he is making totally inappropriate faces in the context of what's going on. His eye movements frequently make no sense too. They also need to add some depth and definition to many of the human eyes.

I know it's probably unlikely that this will happen though.

The reaction of this game makes me wonder if there will be an Andromeda 2.

Unless it completely and utterly financially bombs, then there will probably be a 2. I don't think a lot of people will be skipping it entirely - more that many have decided to delay getting on launch and will wait for a sale. Their sales won't be as front loaded as they would have liked, the long tail sales at $40 / $30 come E3ish, and up to Black Friday and holiday season-ish will probably be decent.

They will probably recoup enough funds via micro transactions packs to make up for lost $60 launch sales, and then they will be able to argue internally that they can make a sequel that won't have _____________ issues because ________.

_woLf

Unless it completely and utterly financially bombs, then there will probably be a 2. I don't think a lot of people will be skipping it entirely - more that many have decided to delay getting on launch and will wait for a sale.

They will probably recoup enough funds via micro transactions packs to make up for lost $60 launch sales, and the long tail sales at $40 / $30 come E3ish, and up to Black Friday and holiday season-ish will probably be decent.

I think that's the most likely scenario, too. But I do expect Andromeda 2 to be made by a different team, or at least a very dramatically restructured team. The team who made Andromeda did a lot of damage to the brand. That could mean a sequel is a long way out.

Nezacant

DirectX 12 implementation would be nice for increased performance of the PC version. I was actually surprised that a newly released Frostbite engine game only supported DX11.

Realistic?

1) Fix crashing on suspend/resume

2) Fix inability to move character on resume

3) Stability/Bug fixes

4) Improve load time when moving from planet to planet via ship (if possible, could be hiding loading)

I don't expect changes to animation or faces.

I thought Mass Effect was a top tier franchise for EA with long legs. Why would they release it sloppy like this. Don't they know the word of mouth that harms the series outweighs releasing it this year. I mean shit, they could have implemented a ton of spitpolish for a holiday 2017 release.

Corpekata

Banned
Realistic?

3) Stability/Bug fixes

4) Improve load time when moving from planet to planet via ship (if possible, could be hiding loading)

Pretty sure 4 is just a bad design choice. They are attempting to make the universe have more sense of place and weight. But all they did was make things tedious. It at the very least need to have an option to toggle it off.

I think it's perfectly realistic to want them to put as much work into it as CDPR put into their enhanced editions of Witcher 1 and 2.

Not that that will happen, but it should.

Kill3r7

Just get the game to run and function properly on consoles before you focus on fixing faces and animations. Please get the game to run in a somewhat stable state.

Realistic?

3) Stability/Bug fixes

I thought Mass Effect was a top tier franchise for EA with long legs. Why would they release it sloppy like this. Don't they know the word of mouth that harms the series outweighs releasing it this year. I mean shit, they could have implemented a ton of spitpolish for a holiday 2017 release.

All of this.

You can fix the mission timers by getting rid of them. I would also like to know the name of the specific liar who said there wouldnt be any mission timers in ME:A.

Pretty sure 4 is just a bad design choice. They are attempting to make the universe have more sense of place and weight. But all they did was make things tedious. It at the very least need to have an option to toggle it off.

Yea. And I mean I do like it. It's gorgeous and feels cinematic. But I can also see it getting real old real fast lol. Especially when I just need to scavage and move on.

Where to begin..

Honestly, right now all I want is better faces for the soldier classes in the MP, instead of dead eyes hiding behind a helmet. Also more improvements to design of the MP, right now it feels like it's a free for all, where as ME3 sort of managed to get people working together in a seamless way. Also fix the devices objective, making it so you have to restart it when you get shot by some random enemy turns that into a fucking nightmare.

I really hope Mass Effect doesn't end here.

As mean as it sounds I hope it does.

The ending of 3 was bad enough that I will probably never go back and play 1-2 which are two of my favorite games ever.

This? Doesn't make me mad, just bums me out.

Just put a bullet in Mass Effect imo, EA clearly doesn't have any good ideas or even the capability to build on what they had.

Better to spend the money and effort on something new.

The ending of 3 was bad enough that I will probably never go back and play 1-2 which are two of my favorite games ever.

Just put a bullet in Mass Effect imo, EA clearly doesn't have any good ideas or even the capability to build on what they had.

Completely disagree. Some wonky design/plot choices and bugs shouldn't scrap an entire franchised that's been enjoyed by millions.

3 had a bad ending but that was partly because 1 and 2 derogated a lot to 3 and 3 couldnt deliver everything to full satisfaction. that said the game itself was an even more streamlined version of 2 which I found dissapointing since 2 was pretty much a FPS game with a few RPG elements already. 1 was the best in series systemwise but poorly executed.

btrboyev

They would have to re-write the entire game. The writing and voice acting is really bad.

The love scenes are downright embarrassing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Completely disagree. Some wonky design/plot choices and bugs shouldn't scrap an entire franchised that's been enjoyed by millions.

It took fives years to make this, you think EA are in a rush to spend another five years on a game that or may not even be liked and by it's nature be highly scrutinized?

Madness

Nothing can really fix the main issues I have with the game. But at the very least get rid of some of these loading screens and animations. Fix up some of the graphical jank and tears. Try and do something with the eyes of Asari and Humans. Fix some of the enemy encounter cheese, streamline the UI.

Chrisdk

Lots of hyberbole in this thread. A lot of the small stuff mentioned can be easily fixed and the game isn't bad at all. Yeah it's far from the original trilogy and not at all a GoTY contender, but it's an enjoyable game nonetheless.

I don't agree with people saying it's unfixable and that they wont fix it.

My personal wish to add is the ability to quicksave all the time.

3 had a bad ending but that was partly because 1 and 2 derogated a lot to 3 and 3 couldnt deliver everything to full satisfaction. .

The degree of difficulty for 3 was huge, but instead of failing a little, they choose magic space kid. That's like intentionally swerving off a cliff into a volcano because the next section of the road has a huge curve.

I think wonky is being really kind.

The character dialogue is Twilight levels of cringe multiple times an hour so far.

It's sad how little care went into it.

"The snark is strong with this one" really? You're half a step from copy and pasting memes at that point.

Akai__

Single Player has been covered good enough, so about MP:

- Have a toggle for Region Matchmaking.
- Display Ping Times in Matchmaking.
- Always disable the Map/Enemies that you previously played on/against for the next match for more variety. Often have several rounds on the same Map or against the same Enemies.
- Have a minimum requirement for Silver and Gold matches or add at least an option to search for similiar Skill/Level/etc.
- Fix the lag for the host and for the players.
- Fix the screen freezes. (Terrible on Xbox One. Don't know about other platforms)
- Fix the occasional game crashes in MP. Always great, when you crash on Round 6 or 7 and don't get anything. Maybe already award Credits and XP after each wave end, instead of game end.
- Give players a little more time to breathe between Waves.
- The Kett Ascendent (I think that is the correct one) is a very cheap unfair enemy. Do something about him.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Mass Effect had the potential to be the next big sci-fi adventure. Now it's better to reboot the series again even after this soft reboot.

Did someone say time travel?

Kremzeek

Realistically I don't expect them to do anything else other than "no comment" anyone who asks and crap out dlc packs while quietly moving on to the next project with their tail between their legs.

Then in 3-4 years they'll have a pr campaign as part of the hype cycle talking about how much they learned from the project and how improved the new game will be, similar to what we already saw with this game in relation to me3. Same shit, different day.

it's almost like you come from the future.

because this sounds exactly what i expect too.

megalowho

I have mixed feelings on ME:A so far like many others, but can't agree with this. We all know it was a new team being given the reigns, and while there's flaws and signs of troubled development, the experience they obtained and the lessons learned will give them a much stronger starting point for future titles. The "ok, now that we know how to make one of these" sentiment isn't new to game development, and from what I've played I can easily see it applying here.

As for the topic at hand, streamlining galaxy map navigation is #1 in my book currently. Bug fixes, for sure. The UI in general could use a Witcher 3 style overhaul, and the touch pad on a DualShock 4 should bring up the map. Revisiting idle and facial animation for character models would be next in line, lots of work can be done there to bring the game up to par with DA:I at least. Also wouldn't mind a reworking of the intro to the game with more dad character development and less snark, ME 3 ending style, but I get that one's more subjective.

I'm still early on and I haven't hit too many issues but so far I would like to see a steadier frame rate, more natural eye shaders, an option to speed up the galaxy map animations, and an adjustment to the lighting placement in some cutscenes/conversations. Often times there is a bright spotlight on the character conversations that is unflattering to the models.

This is a good list, and reasonable I think

Rellik

Didn't they first showcase this game on PS4Pro. That's pretty embarrassing.

Without spoiling the game, the performance on Pro does get a little more manageable as you advance. But the first section is horrendous. It gives a real bad first impression.

They just need to add a 1080p mode.

There are so many fundamental design, I would say flaws, but let's call them decisions, that to me, make it so you can't "fix" the overall experience or gameplay.

Realistic fixes?

Performance. The PS4 version feels like it's struggling at times when there is nothing going one. Very choppy / sluggish. That frame rate...

Music. Where's the cool electronic music from the first games? We have this generic 'action orchestral' music that sounds like it was pulled from some music library. They could add more electronic score.

Animation / Glitches. Certainly this could be improved and it would be realistic to think that this and the overall performance is at the top of their list.

Lighting. Maybe they can fix the lighting to make it more natural / cinematic?

What they can't fix, sadly, is the horrible writing, bad voice acting and direction, poor pacing, brain-dead AI, mediocre combat and all the rest of the stuff that is bound by design fundamentals and practices.

One thing they might consider is to dial-back how much people talk in the game - like all the combat chatter that is just so lame and sounds so dumb. Sorry, wish I could be more optimistic, but what a letdown this experience has been - and I loved the first three games, problems and all. But this one...

Top Bottom