• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What *realistic* wishes do you have for Bioware fixing Mass Effect Andromeda?

Braag

kfn0qo8-imgursysxe.gif

This is legit hilarious lol
How hot is in that suit?

I'd also like to be able to adjust the camera distance. It's absurd how far back it is and it only makes the poor running animations stand out even more. My guess would be that this distant camera angle is a design decision to make sure lesser skilled players have a better view of whats going on around them. No reason not to make it adjustable though.

Lime

Yes, I forgot the sparse use of music throughout the game. I would really, really, really like if Bioware inserted more music, because aural texture means so much for the theme of the game.

hbkdx12

I have a game breaking bug that won't let me progress a main story mission and it's apparently a we'll known each issue. So yeah, they need to fix that

oneils

The more I play this game, the more I agree with the giant bomb crew that this is a straight to video version of the series. Just good enough for the hardcore fans. If they fix all this stuff in the op, I still feel like the game would be disappointing.

You can't customize your squad. Exploration on the planets feels empty. The writing is subpar. I'm still waiting for moments or decisions that will actually have an impact on the story (maybe those come later).

I dont see myself playing through the campaign multiple times like I have in the other entries.

Given all of that, my fixes are for multiplayer. Improve matchmaking. Match me with hosts that have a decent connection. Allow me to start and host a match (doesn't seem to work). Fix the crashing. Fix the UI. Way too many folders.

Diamond

I don't think it can be fixed. While I haven't played it myself, everything I've seen just looks half baked and uninspired.

Maybe I had high expectations, but nothing in the game feels alien. I thought we were in for some crazy stuff, seeing as this is a different galaxy. It's just the same shit over and over again. Desert planet. Snow planet. Bipedal aliens with guns. Everyone speaks english.

How cool would it be if a major part of the game was actually trying to figure out what other aliens were saying. Deciphering their languages as you encountered them.

Absolutely. They could have gone a completely crazy route, with, I don't know, blobs of flesh, gaz form aliens, things that change shape every second... But maybe it's too much to ask from a big budget game like Mass Effect.

Lt-47

Bolded - this issue isn't getting enough attention because of the uproar about facial animation. Not being able to save is affecting the game more than some crappy animations. BioWare needs to remove the restriction on when you can save. Nothing more annoying than losing 15 minutes of progress because the last baddie in a wave got you.

For a game that's about exploration, having to re-explore a section of a vault because the game restricted your ability to save and sent you back 15 minutes just sucks. Also, if you loot something cool and die before receiving another random autosave - it's gone, and the box will pull different items from the loot table when you get back to it. Hope you didn't like what you looted!

We already know they are working on that one. It's probably one of the easiest problem they have to fixes too.

Cut your losses. Focus on the next ME game. Keep Mac Walters away from it.

This. Although Bioware seems to be quietly cleaning shop behind the scenes. They already jettisoned that bigot Manveer, hopefully Walters will be playing a seriously reduced role in the next game and the rest of the crew will be the studio's top talent.

All that said, I'm still not convinced that Bioware's A-Team can compete with the titan that CDPR has become.

Lt-47

All that said, I'm still not convinced that Bioware's A-Team can compete with the titan that CDPR has become.

I don't so either, but do they really need to ? Most dev can't compete with the like of Blizzard and Naughty dogs but that doesn't mean they can't make good and successful games.

Renekton

1. Fix crashes and technical bugs
  2. Streamline scanning to one button and remove the projection
  3. Improve the UI to have less steps
  4. Re-visit the 0/10 quests
  5. Make crafting less of a chore

I guess the writing and animations cannot be improved without an overhaul?

Some fixes they need:
-Text scaling
-The ability to put a dark background behind subtitles
-Break up Post Processing into the individual features so you can tweak them to lower their impact
-Separate combat and exploration FOV sliders, and give them an actual useful number that explains what the FOV setting is
-Fix the sprint toggle so it doesn't send Ryder perpetually running without any input from the analog stick.

I don't so either, but do they really need to ? Most dev can't compete with the like of Blizzard and Naughty dogs but that doesn't mean they can't make good and successful games.

I think they do, if only because EA expects that level of success from them. They wouldn't have been bought otherwise.

Other ARPG giants have very particular systems that make their games unique and engaging. Nobody can make open worlds like Bethesda, so people care less when Fallout 4 isn't as pretty as it could be. The smaller RPG niches are being filled by the revitalized Japanese game industry, with companies like From Software, Square Enix, Capcom, Atlus, Platinum, and Team Ninja contributing more and more stellar franchises to the genre.

Bioware, however, is a company that's been left behind. Their strengths were storytelling, characters and romance, all elements which they've been slowly bungling (to varying degrees, from ME3's ending to Inquisition's story to Andromeda's... everything) since people first shot cockeyed glances at Dragon Age 2.

Meanwhile, their weakenesses have all gotten more pronounced as these series have moved forward. Bugs, bad animations and tepid quests are more plentiful than ever in their recent releases.

CDPR's strengths are exactly the same as Bioware's, but they haven't bungled anything yet. They're also free from the grips of an overbearing megacorporation. When The Witcher 3 came out and did everything Bioware is known for doing well, but markedly better, that was a pretty clear turning point for the company's place in the industry. They're playing catch-up now, and they're losing.

I love how people unironically think Manveer's racist. Easily the best guy from BioWare on Twitter.

He's not racist, because racism involves a level of systemic power and privilege that he doesn't benefit from. He is certainly prejudiced against white people and could absolutely be defined as a bigot, or a person whose opinions and beliefs fuel his/her intolerance of a generalized group of people.

A true progressive does not attack any group of people based on the color of their skin, period. Vilifying entire races has never led, nor will it ever lead, to anything positive in our society.

And, on a more topical level, I'd point out that Andromeda's vision of diversity kinda sucks. Another generic black male soldier squadmate, limited and low-rent gay male romance options, and a totally unrealistic trans woman don't exactly make it seem like Manveer is an authority on inclusivity. I mean, at a time when the minds being freaking Killzone have made one of the most diverse and empowering casts in years...

MikeDown

Banned
Only thing I can really think of are the galaxy map animations & possibly the eye textures. Everything else is beyond fixing.

He's not racist, because racism involves a level of systemic power and privilege that he doesn't benefit from. He is certainly prejudiced against white people and could absolutely be defined as a bigot, or a person whose opinions and beliefs fuel his/her intolerance of a generalized group of people.

A true progressive does not attack any group of people based on the color of their skin, period. Vilifying entire races has never led, nor will it ever lead, to anything positive in our society.
This is off-topic, but it is possible for an individual to be racist:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
b : a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination
Institutional/societal racism isn't the end all, be all of racism, because people can be assholes.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Im praying they can smooth out the framerate during combat. Playing on a Pro, the framerate can really get spotty in firefights and it detracts from the combat experience which I feel is actually one of the game's strengths it weren't hamstrung by big FPS dips.

Juraash

I'm sure there are lots of things they could fix with a patch or patches. But as someone who waited months for them to fix an importer that broke (some) people's characters on 3 and then having the fix be that it just fudged it with the more limited options in 3s character creator, I wonder what they'll actually fix.

For the many people who are still on the ME train, I hope Bioware will make good on some things and Andromeda will be brought closer to the standard people want. But based on history, I have my doubts.

Im praying they can smooth out the framerate during combat. Playing on a Pro, the framerate can really get spotty in firefights and it detracts from the combat experience which I feel is actually one of the game's strengths it weren't hamstrung by big FPS dips.

Ditto this. A lot of other suggestions here are cool but I'll be happy if this is all they do for now. Shit seriously nauseates me.

Rozart

Bolded - this issue isn't getting enough attention because of the uproar about facial animation. Not being able to save is affecting the game more than some crappy animations. BioWare needs to remove the restriction on when you can save. Nothing more annoying than losing 15 minutes of progress because the last baddie in a wave got you.

For a game that's about exploration, having to re-explore a section of a vault because the game restricted your ability to save and sent you back 15 minutes just sucks. Also, if you loot something cool and die before receiving another random autosave - it's gone, and the box will pull different items from the loot table when you get back to it. Hope you didn't like what you looted!

I came in to post this. It's one of the biggest gripes that I have with the game atm. (That and the new 'auto-cover' system).

I wouldn't mind not being able to save anywhere/anytime if their checkpoint system was actually decent. But they're terribly placed.

Please Bioware, just let me save when I want to save.

I came in to post this. It's one of the biggest gripes that I have with the game atm. (That and the new 'auto-cover' system).

I wouldn't mind not being able to save anywhere/anytime if their checkpoint system was actually decent. But they're terribly placed.

Please Bioware, just let me save when I want to save.

Until they add a quick save you can still switch to a non priority mission to save then switch back.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How realistic is it to request for them to actually use dedicated server instead of P2P for the multiplayer?

I suppose it is "realistic" in terms that it can feasibly be done but "unrealistic" in that it is unlikely they would be willing to invest for that, huh, considering that ME3 also used P2P....

Top Bottom