• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I do with old TV going out?

nightfly

I have an old Vizio TV that's going out, it's 14 years old, and it's served me well, all the connections work but as of four months ago the screen started going out, kind of a weird shimmering effect of sorts.

Planning on getting a new TV next month but not sure what to do with old TV, all the ports work and the shimmering isn't really THAT bad but I just figure may as well get a new one.

Thought about maybe just giving it to someone else, or just tossing it in the dumpster, just not sure.

Ulysses 31

I have an old Vizio TV that's going out, it's 14 years old, and it's served me well, all the connections work but as of four months ago the screen started going out, kind of a weird shimmering effect of sorts.

Planning on getting a new TV next month but not sure what to do with old TV, all the ports work and the shimmering isn't really THAT bad but I just figure may as well get a new one.

Thought about maybe just giving it to someone else, or just tossing it in the dumpster, just not sure.
Don't you have container parks where you bring electronics to be recycled? Or have new TV installers take it with them?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Donate it? It'll be some use to someone, I'm sure.

Sell it locally. It's probably not worth putting it on ebay or having to deal with shipping costs.

If you can't shift it then take it to a local electronics recycling centre. Google will tell you the nearest one to you.

Or leave it outside and it'll be gone in no time.

YCoCg

A lot of TVs "break" due to the TOC board failing, that's what usually affects the image on screen, luckily for most models it's a small board mounted on the back of the screen and you can usually order a replacement one if you're fine with a bit of DIY and opening up the TV, finding the part and getting the model number. Most of the boards are made in China though so you'll have a bit of a wait delivery wise.

But it's worth it, or at least trying, instead of trashing the TV.

Ownage

Is it possible to donate your old TV to the Goodwill? You can get a nice tax write off that will offset next year's taxes, and you can define the value of that TV as you see fit. I've done this with old laptops and personal computers after formatting hard drives, and it has helped in avoiding paying taxes in forthcoming years.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
office space GIF

sono

TVs are the most popular domestic appliances, the world is full of them. They are cheap. Take it to recycling

Drew1440

Sounds like the power supply capacitors are bad, could be fixable if you know someone who can solder.

JayK47

I am currently Craiglisting an old CRT TV. Hoping someone who loves retro gaming will want it. I would rather it get used then just toss it out.

Quasicat

Had the same issue with a 65 inch Sony Bravia XBR a few months ago. I called Best Buy, as I just bought a new LG and figured I could swap it so they could recycle it...nope. I called Goodwill who takes all electronics except for TVs. I called my local garbage carrier who lets me do a large item each month, except for TVs over 40 inches. Frustrated with it, I took it apart down to the most basic parts, and tossed it in my rollaway dumpster. It’s not a TV anymore, just 30 different pieces and an RF shield. It‘s amazing how hard it was to get rid of it.

Cyberpunkd

Had the same issue with a 65 inch Sony Bravia XBR a few months ago. I called Best Buy, as I just bought a new LG and figured I could swap it so they could recycle it...nope. I called Goodwill who takes all electronics except for TVs. I called my local garbage carrier who lets me do a large item each month, except for TVs over 40 inches. Frustrated with it, I took it apart down to the most basic parts, and tossed it in my rollaway dumpster. It’s not a TV anymore, just 30 different pieces and an RF shield. It‘s amazing how hard it was to get rid of it.
In Paris you either take it to designated electronics recycle point or you buy a demand with the city hall - they come and take it, same for all large furniture or appliances.

Top Bottom