• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "simple things" can't you do?

Hmmm...

I can't write very legibly.
I dunno why but my handwriting has always sucked.
If I have to write more than a sentence at a time it will eventually devolve into chicken scratch that even I can barely make out.

I can't whistle. I can barely snap my fingers. I have trouble remembering names.

I can ride a bike but unlike almost everyone my age around the area I grew up in, I didn't learn until I was like, 12, when most people learned at around 7.

Susurrus

Can't go underwater without holding my nose. No idea how people can, and yes I try the slowly breathe out method.

G-Bus

Banned
Can't orgasm standing up.

Also have a hard time going under water without plugging my nose. Remember being able to do it when I was a kid.

RC

Banned
There's many many simple things I can't do or do very poorly.

But what frustrates me the most is my lack of any sense of direction and the fact that I never can seem to remember street names.

Also I've lived in one city my entire life so I really have no excuse.

Also can't make bubbles from gum or whistle. But I've learned to accept that.

I can't tie a tie, roll my r's, or do this whistle:

I can't whistle with any of the techniques that involve your fingers

6c56f0440d914f9093792d3a701844b9---life-hacks-lifehacks.jpg

I'm also really, embarrassingly bad at working with my hands (basically anything that involves tools). Hell, I even had to make a GAF thread asking how to hang a painting.

Boem

Hmmm...

I can't write very legibly.
I dunno why but my handwriting has always sucked.
If I have to write more than a sentence at a time it will eventually devolve into chicken scratch that even I can barely make out.

I've heard this from a lot of people (in this thread but also friends): this is fairly easy to fix, and worth doing. There are some guides online (including youtube if you prefer that) on how to do so. Just take some time every day to write some stuff, imitating good handwriting. Just 10 minutes a day can do wonders - after a week or two it'll feel more natural and your handwriting will have improved dramatically. I was surprised how quickly it went for me. You have to somewhat keep it up after that, but even something as simple as grocery lists can do that for you.

Like most people here (I assume), almost all professional writing is done on a keyboard, but you'll feel so much better being able to write well. Everything from a guestbook at a wedding or some unexpected thing at work will make a little bit of effort pay off big time. Being able to look professional at work was actually the reason I did it, as I had to do an unexpected presentation which included writing some stuff on a whiteboard, and at the time my handwriting was like that of a blind three year old without hands.

Very happy I did it.

Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure your signature looks good. Presentation counts profesionally, even for something as small as that.

Talking to people on the phone. I don't like it. I never know what to say unless I have a specific reason to call or waiting for one.

Whenever my friends or family call me to just have a chat they think i'm annoyed or something because I'm quiet all the while thinking to myself "what do you want?"

Of course most of my friends know about that by now but I still think it's weird. I don't have that problem talking to them in person.

Top Bottom