• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What someone in VR looks like when legit SHOOK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urJejluX44

THEM SHAKES! WHEW.
haste.gif
bts_lina.gif

edit: response to the suggestion that has been made that her reaction was inauthentic-

For people still thinking she's faking it or this reaction is about promoting their channel (this is reaching conspiracy levels now), she gave a lengthy response in the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urJejluX44&lc=z13gxzkx3vmwwv1kl23ah1daykmnjplgk04

Renate Meyer 5 hours ago (edited)
+Messofanego
"Hi! Renate here. VERY long explanation incoming: I can say for sure, that this is 100% real. I have never ever been this scared my entire life. What people might not see or understand, from what I have read in comments, is that it does not look scary and what is the fuzz about and that I am exadurating. I truly understand where they are coming from, seing the whole thing from the outside and I was laughing until I cried cause it was so silly. I will try and explain every detail to my reaction. I am the kind of person who really reacts and freak on everything. I am a chicken and a scardypie. When it comes to games, I dont play them, I LIVE THEM. I have always been super immersed in everything I do and one could say I never really grew out of my childhood hehe. I used to buy horror games when I was younger, and have my pals play them for me, cause I did not dare to do so myself. I would be so agitated and tense I would jump and scream at the most random things, wich made them more scared of ME than the game itself. I managed to have my neightbour almost call the police when I was a teenager cause she heard me scream across the street, having met T-rex for the first time in the very first Tomb Raider game. I am en extremely lively person who really do immerse myself into everything I do. Anyone who knows me can confirm this.

So with this being said, Ill try and explain what is going on in my head during this movie. As I said I am a scardypie, so all I knew was that it would envolve shooting. This alone made me nervous, cause I am a terrible aimer and shooter. And the second the game started I was not sure what to expect, I kinda thought things would come running towards me in high speed so I started turning frantically around trying to find anyone ramming me, but when nothing happened I had time to really take in the whole situation and I really started to freak. So when I then finally HEARD the first monster, I got scared but braced myself and was gonna take it down, and when I started shooting, I kept missing, and it came closer.. that was when I started realising I was not gonna be able to make it.. so I started shaking. And the more my hands were vibrating, the harder it was to aim, and hit.. hence it came closer, and then I heard something behind me. And this is one of the things that might be hard to understand watching the video. But the sounds.. oh the horrible sounds of something wet and slimy creeping nearer behind me, knowing I still had one in front of me I could not kill... insert coin for panic mode here

Well bascially I completely freaked, and I forgot it was a game. People think it's weird that I just stand there and not take off the VR, but as I said earlier, I dont play a game.. I live it. I was there and it was so real. Poor graphics and fake monsters or not, it felt real, my brain thought it was real and I just lost it. They came closer and closer and there was more and more of them, and I keep missing and go out of ammo, and the reloading was soooo slow, I freaked and the fight or flight mode activated for real and I start screaming and I seriously throught I was goiung to die. Even if I knew somewhere in the back of my mind it was just a game. It might sound weird to some, but I just started blasting as much as I could in pure panic turning and twisting, not thinking rationally or logic (not that I ever do anyway) I just shoot, for my dear life, hope Ill hit SOMETHING. And one of them get close, and I shoot it, I see it die, and I am soooo scared now, that when I turn shoot something else, turn back, and the body is still in my sight I freak out even more, cause I JUST KILLED IT WHY IS IT STILL HERE OMG OMG Omg omg.. yeah you know the phrase by now. And when I fnally managed to get through it I was so dissapointed I had survived, because I could NOT go through that again. Another thing that does not show on the video, but, I was so stressed, my body was so warm I was steaming. My back was moist and sadly (well thankfully :p) I had a white shirt on, so it does not show, but my pits were soaked and my heart was coming out of my mouth. And I was so relieved to get out of it. (If I had been faking, or acting, I would most likely be living in Hollywood in a mansion, having hundreds of Oscars by now, but alas.. I was lucky to afford a Vive ) Some will probably still find it fake, and I am Ok with it. Everyone is different. Some people might just shrug and go eh.. while otehrs, maybe not to the same extreme as myself, will freak out. I find the whole discussion very interesting cause I do understand both sides here, but hope that everyone can agree that we are all different and react in different ways =) And I want to conclude with thanking everyone who called me brave!"

BlEacCG.png

----

and a few more examples to help people understand the fear VR can create in the hearts of mortal men:

I guess they need a few more examples:

So here's this guy's first run in Brookhaven - https://youtu.be/prcwH2A4uhE?t=914 (start @ 15:30 or so)

hp3KGkJ.png

^ Yep, that's a grown ass man, shaking and sweating hard. Closing his eyes because the zombies are jumping on his ass unexpectedly.

Or this guy's girlfriend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIf2oceP2IY

It wasn't even her first time and she still panics the hell out. If the guy wasn't there talking to her and breaking her immersion, I'm sure people can imagine how much more anxious and panicked she would have been.

And here are IGN staffers playing Paranormal Activity in VR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsna1ChGt0E

xIdmWbj.png

^ Yep, it left this woman in a fetal position. Most of the staffers had a similar reaction. Real fear, ladies and gentlemen.

Hell, I admit I've jumped a few times playing Holopoint. Having the warriors walk up behind you without you noticing can momentarily freak you the fuck out when you turn around and they're about to thrust a sword in your chest.

The doubters will understand one day when they try it for themselves.

That woman is braver than I am, I already know I'm staying far, far away from anything in VR that vaguely resembles horror.

Animator

I know a lot of people watching this who never tried VR are like "this doesn't look scary at all, she is overacting" right now but it is a whoooole different look and feel when you are in VR.

Sophia

The fact that her ingame avatar shows her hands shaking so bad is incredible. I'd love to try this myself.

Although I'd be worried about tripping over that cord too. :\

hwy_61

Banned
The fact that her ingame avatar shows her hands shaking so bad is incredible. I'd love to try this myself.

Although I'd be worried about tripping over that cord too. :

I would absolutely consider clipping that cord to a retractable pulley system attached to the ceiling of my bedroom. Can't be that hard to put together.

Sophia

I would absolutely consider clipping that cord to a retractable pulley system attached to the ceiling of my bedroom. Can't be that hard to put together.

Yeah like.... The Vive sounds amazing in theory, but that cord seems like it'd be a real roadblock to developing anything with extensive movement.

That being said, her playing that was still so incredible, and I await the fully fledged horror experiences that will come over time. I especially love ones like this.

(Also Namco get on Time Crisis VR ffs.)

Inumbris

I mean, the end result will probably be me reacting in much the same way but... I kinda want to try that out now haha.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
You guys talk real tough now but properly done VR will separate the boys from the BITCHES.

There will be no men remaining, Mark my words

My thoughts are:
- The Vive looks freaking gigantic.
-That looks crazy intense.
-I am never playing any horror games on VR ever.

Fret

Yeah like.... The Vive sounds amazing in theory, but that cord seems like it'd be a real roadblock to developing anything with extensive movement.

That being said, her playing that was still so incredible, and I await the fully fledged horror experiences that will come over time. I especially love ones like this.

(Also Namco get on Time Crisis VR ffs.)

I've been using my Vive for a week now, and the cord isn't an issue at all, it rarely gets in the way. You kinda develop some sort of sixth sense with it, like having a tail or something

YuShtink

In VR you can really feel that awful sense of knowing something is actually behind you and getting closer. Like, physically behind you. It creates such a palpable sense of dread.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Haha I feel for her man, must have been terrifying.

Buuut, this ain't shit compared to the horror mindfucks we shall experience once devs truly get the hang of VR development(foveat rendering bare minimum). They need to have stroke/heart-attack warnings for half them games.

wmlk

Haha I feel for her man, must have been terrifying.

Buuut, this ain't shit compared to the horror mindfucks we shall experience once devs truly get the hang of VR development(foveat rendering bare minimum). They need to have stroke/heart-attack warnings for half them games.

VR's gonna cause something life threatening one day and it's gonna spark a lot of controversy.

jediyoshi

That would then mean the cord would be getting in the way of your arms instead. It'd have to be part of a rig that's actively moving and orienting itself along with the player.

Top Bottom