• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What someone in VR looks like when legit SHOOK.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Devs are afraid of Free Movement in current VR titles because MOST people find it uncomfortable to some degree. This discomfort has a wide range, from slight disorientation to full-blown nausea.

If anything, I expect there to be fewer free movement titles, as VR headsets become more capable. As presence increases, artificial locomotion will only become more sickening.

I've demoed VR to at least 200 people since getting my DK1 all the way through the Vive.

Out of those 200, a huge majority of them... I'd say 75%, would get queasy after using free movement in an FPS situation after a few minutes. 50% of them would get very ill, and feel awful for hours afterwords.

It was VERY hard to get a lot of those people to try the Vive, even after me convincing them that it would be different this time. Most of them wrote of VR entirely because the experience made them so sick.

I am extremely happy that developers have abandoned free movement for the commercial releases. The last thing we want is for half the people who try VR for the first time to get so sick they throw up and never want to try it again.

There are going to be more experiments in how to adapt a free-movement type paradigm of course, but for now we want the least nauseating paradigm used.

Having tried the demo myself, there's no way that she's faking.

You end up feeling like your personal space is being invaded when they get up close, and how you react to someone being up in your shit is entirely subjective, but I can definitely see why that situation would elicit the reaction from that woman that it did.

Zaptruder

Banned
Having tried the demo myself, there's no way that she's faking.

You end up feeling like your personal space is being invaded when they get up close, and how you react to someone being up in your shit is entirely subjective, but I can definitely see why that situation would elicit the reaction from that woman that it did.

Especially if you're new to the experience, and you haven't acclimatized to the ritual of VR... it's very easy to forget about the physical space you're in.

ValfarHL

I'll just leave this here.

2wBRgbD.gif

Uh, wrong gif but still relevant..kinda.

Here's the one:

umYTJP1.gif

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Is there a video somewhere for that gif?

Clip with sound: https://vid.me/gTuI

via https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4i49d3/when_instinct_takes_over/
My friend playing Budget Cuts for the first time. She needed a short break, but no worries, the Vive is ok!
She spend a few more hours in Audioshield afterwards, so it turned out ok and she walked away impressed overall.
It seems Budget Cut really does it to people though. When those robots close in all bets are off!

Especially if you're new to the experience, and you haven't acclimatized to the ritual of VR... it's very easy to forget about the physical space you're in.

Even after spending several hours with my Vive, seeing giant monsters still brings on this incredibly unsettling feeling.

I made it through the entire Brookhaven demo on my first try, but had to take off the headset the second the giant monster came out because it made me lose my shit in a way that I really wasn't expecting.

The same goes for the end of the demo for Vertigo, which is also pretty awesome btw.

This thing freaked me out so badly that I had to take off the headset - (Not me in the video, just the first gameplay vid I found on youtube)
cmy62aY.gif

It's really easy to dismiss the impact of scale when viewing VR gameplay on a 2d screen, but having that sense of presence and feeling like you're in the room with a giant monster is so crazy and hearing it stirring beneath you is so weird O.O

Take the feeling you had the first time you encountered one of these eels in Mario 64 and multiply that by 100 and that's how it made me feel
8eJPNr7.jpg

The first thing I thought of when I first experienced the Vive was "Holy shit this changes everything"

The second thing I thought of is "Someone is going to fall out a window".

If she was a little bit to the right, my prophecy would have come true.

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp
While playing Budget Cuts in Vive, which game is awesome, I fell to the floor when I leaned over the window from 2nd floor to downstairs.

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp · Apr 13
@maneauleau I fell in the real life, when I thought I leaned over the window frame in VR.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/720493918987632640

Top Bottom