• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What studio MS is closing next, share your predictions

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No one more studio! Xbox fans who loved MS for this long will unite.. cancel their Gamepass subscription and start buying games

They had their time of "free" games now is time to support the Xbox business!

It will happen...

Topher

Gold Member
Even if it's a commercial flop, the studio has a lot to offer as a support studio and also for tech purposes. I just don't see them folding so easily, especially when it's pretty obvious that the budget wasn't massive for Hellblade 2. The whole point of developing both games was to create AAA products at indie prices.

Yeah, but that email from Matt Booty seems to indicate they are reinvesting into big time blockbusters rather than small time shit. Hopefully for NT's sake I'm wrong.

yazenov

After Hellblade 2 bombs, Ninja Theory.

Does anyone remember that last game Bleeding Edge? Yeah, no one does.

Last edited:
I doubt they're just realizing it now. They are clearly limiting financial risk with the game's release.
Of course they aren’t just realizing it now, I was being sarcastic but this isn’t how you market a game you want to be successful. They are sending it out there to die like they did with Hifi Rush. A game like this needs a lot more marketing and hype.

Yeah, but that email from Matt Booty seems to indicate they are reinvesting into big time blockbusters rather than small time shit. Hopefully for NT's sake I'm wrong.
That's why I think they'd put them on a AAA project next before outright closing the studio.

Of course they aren’t just realizing it now, I was being sarcastic but this isn’t how you market a game you want to be successful. They are sending it out there to die like they did with Hifi Rush. A game like this needs a lot more marketing and hype.
My guess is that it gets a bigger marketing budget if it reviews well. Do we have an embargo on it yet? That should tell us a lot.

Pelao

Boy am I happy Microsoft bought half the industry only to release nothing of value and is now shutting down studios.
Anyway, I hope they don't kill id software, I really want another shooter from them.

My guess is that it gets a bigger marketing budget if it reviews well. Do we have an embargo on it yet? That should tell us a lot.
Not sure if it has an embargo. You may be right, I’ll wait and see but honestly I’m doubting the survivability of NT after this game launches. This game looks like it cost a lot of money to make and outside of game forums I don’t think anyone knows it exists. With Hifi Rush proving that critical acclaim and GP engagement isn’t enough to prevent MS from shutting down studios, it’s not looking too good for NT right now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Bro you stupid or something ?

Easy math ...

Free exclusive game at subscription + 0 marketing = Bad Sales Numbers

Therefore, studio axed.

Sales genius at Microsoft.

And here all I thought you were good for was tits and ass.

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Not sure if it has an embargo. You may be right, I’ll wait and see but honestly I’m doubting the survivability of NT after this game launches. This game looks like it cost a lot of money to make and outside of game forums I don’t think anyone knows it exists. With Hifi Rush proving that critical acclaim and GP engagement isn’t enough to prevent MS from shutting down studios, it’s not looking too good for NT right now.
Hi-Fi Rush didn't have good Game Pass engagement.

DaGwaphics

Hopefully none. The loss of AA games/developers are bad enough as it is. If the current model isn't working for them, I'd rather them delay releases on GP (like base EA Play) rather than quit making the content, assuming this is a money issue. However, it's possible that this isn't a money issue as much as it is them looking put all their eggs in fewer baskets (like Rockstar and ABK have done, and you might throw Ubi in there as well).

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I think we'll see more complimentary acquisitions like High Moon Studios and Beenox get consolidated or shut down before a studio like Ninja Theory does. Considering MS look absolutely confused in their decision-making, I wouldn't be surprised if NT was part of the next collection of layoffs, but I doubt they'll be among them.

Ev1L AuRoN

Ninja Theory is next, unfortunately, The only thing I'm sure is that 343 industries will live on 4eva as long as Xbox is a brand.

DAHGAMING

Hopefully all of them, im just happy to have the most powerfull console in the world, I dont have time to play games its nice to show off my Microsoft Series X, always got woman peering through the window looking at it and wanting to come fuck me but my wife wont let them toucg her Xbox man 💪💪💪.

poodaddy

Real question. What makes Ninja Theory so obvious for everyone right now?
My honest answer is that they seem to just bleed money and not produce much value for the money they cost. I don't think they're a bad studio, I just don't think they're very profit oriented right now, but I think that could change with strong leadership, which I don't think they have.

Close all studios and only produce COD games, Fallout games, Elder Scrolls games.

Sell all game studios and exit the gaming market in 10 years to focus on windows.

yurinka

In order:

Undead Labs
Ninja Theory (if Hellblade 2 isn't a big seller in PS)
Machine Games (if Indiana Jones isn't a big seller in PS)
Playground's new studio (if the new Fable isn't a big seller in PS)

Rare
Compulsion
Double Fine
The Coalition (if Gears isn't a big seller in PS)

Obsidian
A couple random Activision Blizzard studios
The Initiative (if Perfect Dark isn't a big seller)
Bloomberg's gaming team

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Where the hell is state of decay 3?? Undead Labs has some explaining to do...better question is why the hell does it (seemingly) take Xbox game studios 5+ years to develop a game?? I know game development is generally longer now but damn, almost all of their games take forever to make and aren't even that great when they eventually do release. They have serious management problems over there.

343i

Unfortunately, I don't think they would ever do something as good as this so my guess would be one of the following:
The Initiative
Compulsion
Undead Labs

The Initiative probably costs them a ton of money and everything is obviously going wrong. Compulsion has always been mid, and that new game looks terrible. State of Decay 3 seems to be going terribly as well. None of the other studios seem like a likely candidate.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean Sony didn't want them...
But I do think they're are a goodish studio but they haven't learnt anything.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Ninja theory for sure, also while BGS shouldn't be shut down, the character design, map design, UI design, game engine, teams should all be fired. Avowed isn't looking very good so far so obsidian likely has the last few months to try turn their fate around. Also fire the character design team of fable 4 immediately and outsource it to some korean devs. Pretty sure a lot of them needs to be fired but can't think of them right now, they need to clean house like what do what elon did to twitter.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Holy shit - This is Matt Booty's LinkedIn Midway description of what he did

He's basically bragging of cutting off jobs with an axe to make savings

IMG-2702.jpg

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

omg, please get these clowns out of Xbox division

Atrus

Gold Member
Ninja Theory - Tameem left, they barely produce games and Gamepass is designed to eat their lunch.

Undead Labs - Stare of Decay 3 was announced 4 years ago, if State of Decay 3 doesn’t do well they’re likely done.

Arkane Lyon - Is handed a Marvel movie tie-in game based on Blade. If it doesn’t succeed, it’ll likely be over and we’ve all seen what the finances for such games are like with the Insomniac leak.

The Initiative - Has been tasked with Perfect Dark since 2018 and it is still in the “early stages” of development with no indication of a launch date.

It’s Ninja Theory. 100%. There’s almost not shot Hellblade will meet any expectation MS has.
It's mind boggling to me that Microsoft has spent so much time/effort promoting a sequel to a thoroughly niche/no gameplay game like Hellblade.
Then again they promoted Redfall as well.

Top Bottom