• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with Sega?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ok they, porting 2 of their more successful games on the Gamecube, but not only that, they're ripping GC owners who have bought SMB off by releasing it on the other two consoles with extras and they're both packaged as one game for a budget price. Of course, this isn't what pisses me off, what pisses me off is that Sega doesn't even it up. Why haven't they announced Virtua Fighter 4 for GC and Xbox yet? Why haven't they announced Jet Set Radio Future for the GC and PS2 yet? Why are Sega the dumbest asses in the gaming industry?

AniHawk

GSG Flash said:
Ok they, porting 2 of their more successful games on the Gamecube, but not only that, they're ripping GC owners who have bought SMB off by releasing it on the other two consoles with extras and they're both packaged as one game for a budget price. Of course, this isn't what pisses me off, what pisses me off is that Sega doesn't even it up. Why haven't they announced Virtua Fighter 4 for GC and Xbox yet? Why haven't they announced Jet Set Radio Future for the GC and PS2 yet? Why are Sega the dumbest asses in the gaming industry?

I can understand why they don't port Xbox-exclusives, but I don't know why VF4 is PS2 exclusive when it could very likely find an audience on the Xbox and probably find one on the GC. Maybe they had an arrangement with Sony?

I think Sammy has Sega concentrating primarily on PS2 development for the time being. I guess if you want all the big Sega titles from now on, you'll have to suck in your pride and buy a PS2.

doncale

Banned
if Sega gives me Daytona and Daytona 2 on any of the current or upcoming consoles, as well as Phantasy Star 5, all will be forgiven.

BuddyC

rolleyesbarf2.gif

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SEGA WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED ME AND NINTENDOOOOO

why hasnt vf been ported to any other system? its an arcade game. we'll be lucky to get a final tuned home version.

WarPig

bishoptl said:
Hey, you're banned!

The problem with this new title is I'll never know if I'm banned or not now.

ObWhingingGamecubePeople: If Monkey Ball sold well on a console nobody owns, it will sell even better on a console people actually bought. How stupid is that?

DFS.

BuddyC

WarPig said:
The problem with this new title is I'll never know if I'm banned or not now.

ObWhingingGamecubePeople: If Monkey Ball sold well on a console nobody owns, it will sell even better on a console people actually bought. How stupid is that?

DFS.

You mean, Sega's trying to generate revenue now? When did this happen?

WarPig

BuddyChrist83 said:
You mean, Sega's trying to generate revenue now? When did this happen?

Fucked up, innit?

At least they waited three years, that should keep sales down to appropriately Sega-esque levels.

DFS.

Deku Tree

WarPig said:
If Monkey Ball sold well on a console nobody owns, it will sell even better on a console people actually bought. How stupid is that?

That might make sense if Sonic Heroes didn't sell best on the GC.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
GSG Flash said:

IAWTP

The Only people that are bitter are the Gamecube only owners. If you are a Sega fan you would own either an X-box or PS2 along with a Gamecube, then you won't have the problem of getting other Sega games. No one bitched,and through a fit when Capcom ported Viewtful Joe. Sega always get the wrong end of the stick from the whinny Fanboys. I think this week has been great being a Sega fan, there has been: Monkey Ball DX for PS2 and X-box, a chance of a new Monkey Ball 3 for multiplatfomr, Model 2 ports for PS2, Shining Force 4 for PS2, a new fighting game for PS2, Outrun2 on the X-box having daytona2 and scud racer tracks and, a sonic team game for the Nintendo DS. This should be a happy week for Sega fans, well I guess except for the ones that are Gamecube exclusively.

B E N K E

Third party company releasing an old hit game on more formats and providing compensation for the delay. Come on, take off those goggles and see things for what they are.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
The better question is why it keeps releasing completely crap games and ruining what few viable franchises it has left. This past E3 was the most pathetic showing I've seen from Sega in the company's history. Why do they even release any exslusives on the Xbox? Each and every one of them has bombed regardless of its quality.

Speevy

Banned
WarPig said:

But you're wrong.

Super Monkey Ball DX wil not break the top 10 of any PS2 software list. Count on it.

I predict Super Monkey Ball, as well as Sonic Mega Collection to sell tremendously well on the PS2, especially with its nice low-price. Anything that provides Sega with more revenue to make more original titles with is alright by me.

I find it funny that some people think a videogame company "owes" something to its fans and is ripping them of if they release ex-exclusive game on other platforms. Fanboy-way-of-thinking...

AniHawk

I thought this topic was going to be about what the hell is wrong with Sega in general. Like, why the hell have they produced about 5 games or so which aren't ports which are good in the past 3 years after a great run with the DC?

BuddyC

So help me god, each one of you complaining about what Sega "owes their fans" better have a sizable Dreamcast collection in the closet.

Chony

BuddyChrist83 said:
So help me god, each one of you complaining about what Sega "owes their fans" better have a sizable Dreamcast collection in the closet.

My dreamcast collection is out in the open loser.

Speevy

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Yea, but Super Monkey Ball is worth playing.

And it's been played. Metal Gear Solid 2 and the GTA Double Pack had a limited impact when they were put on the Xbox, and that was just over a year and a half. But 3 years? Good grief. I really don't see what they big deal is. I'm just pissed because I can't put SMB on a list of true exclusives when I'm looking back at the Cube. But make no mistake, this makes absolutely no difference this generation. (and it won't sell, especially on the Xbox)

WarPig said:

DFS.

The xbox really didn't help Sega's case at all. So they should just NOT make games for it ever again.

nitewulf

if they ported the games straight, would they even sell? and adding levels, ie, extras to ports is a standard practice, otherwise whats the incentive for anyone to buy old games? how is this really relevant to pissing of gamecube owners when they already have the games? may be they'll be the first to get the sequel?
would a JSRF port sell? anywhere? both games underperformed, and its what...3 years old now? i'd like them to make a multiplatform sequel though, but would it happen? not likely.
they should port panzer and VF4 to all platforms though. but w/o being market analysts no one should try to guess why they arent being ported. its never that simple.

AniHawk

nitewulf said:
if they ported the games straight, would they even sell? and adding levels, ie, extras to ports is a standard practice, otherwise whats the incentive for anyone to buy old games? how is this really relevant to pissing of gamecube owners when they already have the games? may be they'll be the first to get the sequel?

Well there's incentive enough that both games are $30 on one disc, in my opinion. You don't really need anymore extra than that.

Efforts should have been spent on making the SMB DX extra levels into SMB 3 for all platforms, and release SMB DX as just 1 and 2 for $30.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How does making more money make them dumb? I have had many problems with the way Sega runs things, but putting Super Monkey Ball on the Xbox and PS2 seems like a smart move to me. I wouldn't care if a VF4:Evo port showed up on the Gamecube for 15.99, I don't see why any hardcore Nintendo fan would be upset...I'm just missing the big deal here.

Would someone like to explain the big problem? Sega making Super Monkey Ball multiplatform is all I'm getting, I'm not quite seeing a reason to whine yet. SMB has been only on the Gamecube for years, isn't that enough of an extra. Would you rather SMB never hav been released until now but get the extra, or would you rather have had it 3 years ago? I mean come on, 3 years as an exclusive seems like a pretty nice extra to me. You would think the game came out on Gamecube 2 months ago looking at this thread.

Society said:
Trying to make revenue by putting games on xbox? I can understand PS2, but come on.

They are probably cheap Ports, and as long as they are porting Monkey Ball and Sonic Mega collection to PS2, why not X-box? I am sure if they were porting a PS2 game or an X-box game, that Nintendo Gamecube would be included with the other system that was getting the game too. The Nintendo fanboys just need to get over Sega porting the games to other systems. Sega is looking out for Sega not Nintendo. Remember besides Outrun2 and spikeout, X-box is not getting exclusives, PS2 are now getting all the newer games.

nitewulf

AniHawk said:
Well there's incentive enough that both games are $30 on one disc, in my opinion. You don't really need anymore extra than that.

Efforts should have been spent on making the SMB DX extra levels into SMB 3 for all platforms, and release SMB DX as just 1 and 2 for $30.

:shrugs:

BuddyChrist83 said:

I would make that Dreamcast and Saturn collections..........

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Speevy said:
I'm just pissed because I can't put SMB on a list of true exclusives when I'm looking back at the Cube.

It doesn't matter to me that other consoles get Gamecube exclusives, what pisses me off is that Sega doesn't even it up by giving Gamecube exclusives of the other consoles, or giving it another GC only exclusive. Oh and I do own a PS2 (no Xbox yet, I might buy one used though) but I'm one of the few people who actually prefers the cube controller to the DS2, that would be a big reason why I would prefer owning those games on the cube.

Shoryuken

Couple of points:
-A PS2 port makes sense, an Xbox port doesn't. This, like Sonic Mega Collection, will do decently on PS2 and bomb on Xbox.
-VF4 should not be ported to GC, it wouldn't sell much at all. If it was ported to Xbox it would need online play, but that still wouldn't guarantee it doing well.
-JSRF should have been a GC game initially, but porting it at this time wouldn't make much sense.
-Sega is stupid.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I think the valid point being made is that it seems silly for Sega to continue to produce Xbox software when almost all their Xbox software fails to sell. Tied to that is the question of why they are failing to port their "better" Xbox games to the GameCube, a platform which tends to perform better for Sega titles than the Xbox does.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
GSG Flash said:
It doesn't matter to me that other consoles get Gamecube exclusives, what pisses me off is that Sega doesn't even it up by giving Gamecube exclusives of the other consoles, or giving it another GC only exclusive. Oh and I do own a PS2 (no Xbox yet, I might buy one used though) but I'm one of the few people who actually prefers the cube controller to the DS2, that would be a big reason why I would prefer owning those games on the cube.

Ah, now that is something to talk about. Ok, I can feel you on that one. I thought you were flipping out just over Super Monkey Ball. :p

Well there is only so much Sega could give to the Gamecube. They don't exactly make gems on the PS2 either.

Top Bottom