• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with Sega?

Really. I am not surprised at this but I've said this for awhile.

a) SEGA. STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING PORTS AND MAKE SOME NEW STUFF (preferbly not kiddy)

b) No more: crappy kiddy crap ;not Amazing Island; not Billy Hatcher, not Sonic

more: GV types, JSRF, Virtua Tennis.. etc. The class stuff we love them for.

M3wThr33 said:
Of course MS pays developers to make Xbox games. Seamus Blackley in a PGC audio interview said the Xbox was creating a reverse economy of games where the publisher's desire for a varied library overrides what actually sells.

Besides, for every GameCube game that loses exclusivety, there's two more franchises that don't get ported to it and that's the whole hatred behind Sega. They aren't balancing out the screw-over to everyone. It's just slapping Nintendo fans in the face and pumping MS and Sony with more content.

I know it is hard to face, but Video game politics is not fair. The Long time Nintendo fans are learning what Sega fans that owned the saturn and Dreamcast learned. An Example, Konami could have supported the Saturn better in the USA, like they did in Japan. Konami didn't and so the Sega Saturn owners missed games unless they imported. The PS1 and N64 got games in the US.

In a fair world the exclusive games that Nintendo are losing would be replaced by other games. This is not a fair world. Things are not balanced, and people do get screwed over. Since Nintendo is no longer on top in the console world it is easier to slap them in the face and, Sega is not the only one that is doing it. People act Like square is in Nintnedo's Corner, are They? Square made one game exclusive with Nintendo's Money. Where are the other games? From what I have seen square is more interested in Nintendo's Handhelds , then Nintendo's consoles. The capcom 5, what happened? All but Resident EVIL and PN03 are being ported. Resident Evil isn't on the PS2 becuase of a contract, and PN03 not being ported becuase it didn't sell, and would be a high risk to port.

To me, it seems like most companies are slapping Nintendo in the face. The Nintendo fan is seeing what it was like to be a fan of a Sega consoles those many years ago. I am not saying "Nintendo is doomed". Nintendo has to much Money to be "Doomed". What I am saying just don't expect the Big exclusives to stay exclusives and, to get all the games on the Nintendo Gamecube.

sonic4ever said:
I know it is hard to face, but Video game politics is not fair. The Long time Nintendo fans are learning what Sega fans that owned the saturn and Dreamcast learned. An Example, Konami could have supported the Saturn better in the USA, like they did in Japan. Konami didn't and so the Sega Saturn owners missed games unless they imported. The PS1 and N64 got games in the US.

In a fair world the exclusive games that Nintendo are losing would be replaced by other games. This is not a fair world. Things are not balanced, and people do get screwed over. Since Nintendo is no longer on top in the console world it is easier to slap them in the face and, Sega is not the only one that is doing it. People act Like square is in Nintnedo's Corner, are They? Square made one game exclusive with Nintendo's Money. Where are the other games? From what I have seen square is more interested in Nintendo's Handhelds , then Nintendo's consoles. The capcom 5, what happened? All but Resident EVIL and PN03 are being ported. Resident Evil isn't on the PS2 becuase of a contract, and PN03 not being ported becuase it didn't sell, and would be a high risk to port.

To me, it seems like most companies are slapping Nintendo in the face. The Nintendo fan is seeing what it was like to be a fan of a Sega consoles those many years ago. I am not saying "Nintendo is doomed". Nintendo has to much Money to be "Doomed". What I am saying just don't expect the Big exclusives to stay exclusives and, to get all the games on the Nintendo Gamecube.

Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah .

what god damn preachy post

I guess you're only going on because a Nbot started this thread. I don't care for the MB series. I own the first one and wasn't super impressed. Had more fun on the DC with crazy taxi when it was released. Sega is retarded and I think Musashi nailed one thing;

SEGA no longer deserves its fans love. Fuck this port business, fuck their weaksauce games.

Floyd

sonic4ever said:
People are not just defending Sega to annoy Nintendo fans. People defend Sega, because they like their games and, they don't see the problem with Sega potting Monkey Ball to other systems. A small minority of Nintendo fans needs to learn that Sega doesn't owe Nintendo or their fans anything. It is Sega's games and, they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is a small minority of Nintendo fans that still think that Nintendo should be treated like their number 1, like in the 8 bit days or even the 16 bit days. Those days are gone. A few Nintendo fans just need to get over their whining, and accept Sega is going to do what they want to do.

I had to edit that as it felt like you were referring to an entire fan base. And I'm a Nintendo fan and I don't want to be associated in any way shape or form to the console clinging fan boys your aiming your post at.

TheGreenGiant said:
Really. I am not surprised at this but I've said this for awhile.

a) SEGA. STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING PORTS AND MAKE SOME NEW STUFF (preferbly not kiddy)

b) No more: crappy kiddy crap ;not Amazing Island; not Billy Hatcher, not Sonic

more: GV types, JSRF, Virtua Tennis.. etc. The class stuff we love them for.

You "do" get GV, JSRF, Virtua Tennis..ect games. Just not on Nintnedo Gamecube. Why< becuase the industry thinks Nintendo is "kiddie". If you want those type of games, get a PS2 which are getting some "new" games. I know you have an X-box "the GreenGaint" so atleast you can enjoy Outrun 2 and Spikeout, which are the more serious Sega games.

M3wThr33

Banned
I've established long ago that I'll get a PS2 when they release a final hardware. I'm not getting a console with a hidden expiration date. At least with a PSTwo, I know it'll be as final as it gets.

sonic4ever said:
You "do" get GV, JSRF, Virtua Tennis..ect games. Just not on Nintnedo Gamecube. Why< becuase the industry thinks Nintendo is "kiddie". If you want those type of games, get a PS2 which are getting some "new" games. I know you have an X-box "the GreenGaint" so atleast you can enjoy Outrun 2 and Spikeout, which are the more serious Sega games.

I have a PS2 too. I bought ICO today. I am NOT against SEGA going multi console; I am against them not selling their games; diluting their brand name and releasing crap.

I am also at work now so I can't play ICO. :'( On a freaking saturday. ARgh

TheGreenGiant said:
Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah Nintendo fan .. blah blah .

what god damn preachy post

I guess you're only going on because a Nbot started this thread. I don't care for the MB series. I own the first one and wasn't super impressed. Had more fun on the DC with crazy taxi when it was released. Sega is retarded and I think Musashi nailed one thing;

SEGA no longer deserves its fans love. Fuck this port business, fuck their weaksauce games.

No, Iam not only going on Becuase an "Nbot" started this thread. I am a Sega fan and when I see People talk bad about Sega, it makes me want to put my two cents. In this thread it is Nintendo fans that are the ones complaining about support. I don't see X-bot and PS2 owners complaining, just Gamecube owners. You seem to have have a chip on your shoulder,get over it. all I can say, I am glad thier are some people that still like Sega.

Floyd said:
I had to edit that as it felt like you were referring to an entire fan base. And I'm a Nintendo fan and I don't want to be associated in any way shape or form to the console clinging fan boys your aiming your post at.

If i offended you. I am sorry. I know all Nintendo fans, don't bad mouth other companies or cry about support.

TheGreenGiant said:
I have a PS2 too. I bought ICO today. I am NOT against SEGA going multi console; I am against them not selling their games; diluting their brand name and releasing crap.

I am also at work now so I can't play ICO. :'( On a freaking saturday. ARgh

Glad to hear you own a PS2 too. I ask, How is it diluting the brand name of Super Monkey Ball by putting it on the PS2 and X-box. If anything it makes people more aware of the Brand and franchise.

M3wThr33

Banned
It's not diluting the brand name, it's slapping Nintendo in the face by not offering the extra levels or even the chance to own a single disc with them all.

sonic4ever said:
Glad to hear you own a PS2 too. I ask, How is it diluting the brand name of Super Monkey Ball by putting it on the PS2 and X-box. If anything it makes people more aware of the Brand and franchise.

I didn't really have a problem with this release on XBox ps2 - read what I wrote about speevy on PAGE 1. :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Bah. I really hope the day comes when Sony and MS are retired from the gaming field.

Yeah, I said it. I'm glad I said it.

However, I'm ALSO quite open to the concept of nearly ANYONE else taking over control of the gaming market, just as long as they aren't Sony or MS. I'd love a "platform standard" backed by all the big developers, but I'd take ANY competition from a company dedicated to games in more than a cursory way.

Shinobi

M3wThr33 said:
It's not diluting the brand name, it's slapping Nintendo in the face by not offering the extra levels or even the chance to own a single disc with them all.

WTF does it have to do with Nintendo? Did they pay Sega for the rights to Monkey Ball? No. So how is it a slap to their face?

If Nintendo cares even half as much as some of the whiners in this thead, they'll pony up the cash or lower their license fee and entice Sega to drop this version on their machine. But something tells me they don't. Quite frankly, they've got no reason to.

As for who should run the industry, I couldn't care less. A Nintendo-run industry didn't make things easy for Sega (quite the opposite in fact), so there's no guarantee a "real" gaming company is going to make things any better for me. Though in my view industry's fine now anyway, even with it's many warts.

Saturnman

Banned
If I were Sega and was browsing this thread, I would port other games just to piss off some of the cry-babies in this thread. :)

Time to bring Beach Spikers to Xbox, with more courts, more options and everything. :D

Yusaku

sonic4ever said:
they are probaly cheap Ports and as long as they are proting Monkey Ball and Sonic Mega collection to PS2, why not X-box? I am sure if they were prtong a ps2 game or an x-box game , that nintendo Gamecube would be included with the other system the game was getting ported too, it just appens the ifrst two games being ported first started on Gamecube. The Nintendo Fanboys just need to get over Sega porting the games. Sega is looking out for Sega not Nintendo. Remeber besides Outrun2 and spikeout, X-box is nopt getting exclusives, PS2 are now getting all the newer games.

You are officially the most illiterate poster on GAF.

AniHawk

Floyd said:

A-fucking-men.

M3wThr33, sonic4ever, just shut up.

Prine

Banned
Shinobi said:
To Nintendo fans I say too fucking bad. Find me the law that says third parties should even out the exclusive and ports among two or three consoles.

Bottom line is there's no obligation for a company to do anything on a console. As a Sega fan, I oughta know. Third parties releasing Saturn versions of their games several weeks after the PSX version, if at all. Or third parties giving the DC PSX games in high res. Hell, Sega pulled the plug early on the fucking Dreamcast...I could've sat in a corner and grumbled for three years, or I could choose to buy the "enemy consoles", continue to play their games and get the fuck over it. If your brain isn't fried by crack and you're older then 12, logic says you get over it.

Nintendo fans should be upset at Nintendo if anything else. MS obviously has no problem subsidizing publishers for games, even if they do sell like shit. All I ever hear about is Nintendo's much vaunted $5 billion war chest. Well why not fucking use it? If MS can grease the palms of publishers with their coin, I don't know why Nintendo can't do the same thing. Not that Nintendo is obligated to do that either. But when XBox is getting old exclusives or extra content while Cube gets nothing, the only one to blame for that is Nintendo.

IAWTP! x2

Rlan

Virtua Cop 1 & 2 already got a PS2 release. Was it any good? I barely heard anything on it, I assume it sold like shit?

Man, theres little hype at all with SEGA anymore. I barely heard anything about Virtua Cop 3 in the Arcades, Altered Beast has barely had a mention, and I didn't even hear of Amazing Island until it sold like bggery.

They need to stop with games like Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation. Regardless on whether it's a good game, it doesn't appeal to those who want Virtua Fighter 4.

I didn't read all the replies...so this is probably covered. How much does it cost to port a game? $250,000? at most? Sega will make that back easy with these ports...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I really don't give a shit about Sega porting GC games off to other consoles, but when they add extras and make it a budget price game and not rerelease it for the Gamecube, that's what's pissing me off. Hey, I saw Rockstar rerelease GTA Double Pack for the PS2 as well as the Xbox, I don't see why Sega can't.

AniHawk

GSG Flash said:
I really don't give a shit about Sega porting GC games off to other consoles, but when they add extras and make it a budget price game and not rerelease it for the Gamecube, that's what's pissing me off. Hey, I saw Rockstar rerelease GTA Double Pack for the PS2 as well as the Xbox, I don't see why Sega can't.

Double Pack for the PS2 had no extras (I think) and you could've bought them separately for the same price.

because GTA sold how much on PS2? 7 million? so releasing the double pack will sell atleast 500,000... SMB sold how much on GC? 6-700,000? so re-releasing it will sell how much? 60,000? from what I remember a port needs to sell atleast 100,000 to make a profit.

jdforge

Banned
Has anyone mentioned how utterly crap Monkey Ball DX will play, esp on PS2. Do you really think that the Dual Shock with it's Twin Analogues will offer the accuracy needed to play Monkey Ball ? The Xbox controller will also suffer from lack of responsiveness and accuracy in comparison the the NGC controller.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
all this talk of THE SUPERIOR RESPONSIVENESS OF THE GC CONTROLLER has to be nonsense -- i'm sure someone here knows how many degrees of sensitivity each controller features, and i doubt there are any significant differences.

the 8-way grooves on the gc analog stick might be missed, however. the gc versions make it very easy to go straight in one of the cardinal directions, but i wonder how much of this is the controller and how much of it is programming. doesn't seem particularly difficult to hold a straight line in any of the many ps2 and xbox games that feature analog control, but then i can't think of any that are quite as demanding in this regard as monkey ball. i guess we'll see.

AniHawk

needlejuice said:
Has anyone mentioned how utterly crap Monkey Ball DX will play, esp on PS2. Do you really think that the Dual Shock with it's Twin Analogues will offer the accuracy needed to play Monkey Ball ? The Xbox controller will also suffer from lack of responsiveness and accuracy in comparison the the NGC controller.

I'm sure if I go use my PlayCube on SMB/2 right now, I'll be able to play it just fine.

In fact, my cousins have played using the DS2 and they've had no complaints.

Prine

Banned
needlejuice said:

bullshit. Xbox sticks are fucking great

Shinobi

GSG Flash said:
Hey, I saw Rockstar rerelease GTA Double Pack for the PS2 as well as the Xbox, I don't see why Sega can't.

:lol This is when you know people are simply bitching for the sake of it.

mr2mike

Banned
"So help me god, each one of you complaining about what Sega "owes their fans" better have a sizable Dreamcast collection in the closet."

I've got 20+ DC games, wich is more games than my Xbox collection, PS2 collection and what I had for PS back in the day, combined

I'm not the one complaining though. I've got a PS2 and Xbox. no GC, so I'm actually on the receiving end. :D

AniHawk said:
A-fucking-men.

M3wThr33, sonic4ever, just shut up.

well, that was rude!! Here, I was thinking that you and Jarrod were two civil fans, that I knew that liked Nintendo, and I had positive image of both of you. Well, I still think of Jarrod in a positive light. I am sorry that I have spelling errors. My eye sight is 200/20. What does this mean to you, that means though I can see, I am considered legally Blind. I have made spelling errors before, and this is the only thread were people have been truly insulting about it. Like Shinobi said," I guess, I struck a nerve with some random fanboys."

Yusaku said:
You are officially the most illiterate poster on GAF.

Is this Better, Yusaku?

They are probably cheap Ports, and as long as they are porting Monkey Ball and Sonic Mega collection to PS2, why not X-box? I am sure if they were porting a PS2 game or an X-box game, that Nintendo Gamecube would be included with the other system that was getting the game too. The Nintendo fanboys just need to get over Sega porting the games to other systems. Sega is looking out for Sega not Nintendo. Remember besides Outrun2 and spikeout, X-box is not getting exclusives, PS2 are now getting all the newer games.

sonic4ever said:
well, that was rude!! Here, I was thinking that you and Jarrod were too civil fans, that I knew that liked Nintendo, and I had positive image of both of you. Well, I still think of Jarrod in a positive light. I am sorry that I have spelling errors. My eye sight is 200/20. What does this mean to you, that menas though I can see, I am considered legally Blind. I have made spelling errors before, and this is the only thread were people have been truly insulting about it. Like Shinobi siad," I guess, I stroke a nerve with some random fanboys."

OMG. you should save that eyesight and not a) go online and stare at computer screens b) not play video games.

TheGreenGiant said:
OMG. you should save that eyesight and not a) go online and stare at computer screens b) not play video games.

Well, if I lose my eye sight, thier is nothing I can do to prevent it from happening. I would rather enjoy myself, while I can. Unless friends or family are willing to lend me a ride, I am often stuck at home. We all know TV is dull these days.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Rlan said:
Virtua Cop 1 & 2 already got a PS2 release. Was it any good? I barely heard anything on it, I assume it sold like shit?
I have the Japanese version but the game also saw a release in the PAL regions as well. F*ck you Sega for not releasing this double pack in the US bundled with a guncon2! I'm not much of a Sega Lightgun fan(Namco got to me first) but I bought it for the collection. The game itself is great(I dunno if its arcade perfect or not though... someone help me out here). You get to see some Sega game advertising when shooting baddies in Virtua Cop 2. I shot down a Virtua Fighter 4 billboard in the subway :D
The entire game, menus and such is english making it very import friendly. Sega should approach SCEA with a Virtua Cop Trilogy bundle pack(Virtua Cop Rebirth + Virtua Cop 3).
On top of that where is my Lupin III Shooting/Typing bundle Sega!?!

I was thinking, Instead of yelling about Sega, why not come up with a solution. Here is an Idea. Have a web site that tells Nintendo fans that want better Sega support to write to Sega. I am not talking about writing by e-mail, but hand written letters. If Sega gets a thousand hand written letter asking for "Panzeer Dragoon Orta" or "Jet Set Radio Future", then they will realize their is a market for those games on Gamecube. Does anyone else have another solution for the Nintendo fan's problem? Let's see if we can turn this thread positive instead of negative.

kernel

Firstly, I think a lot of you have missed a more important point: companies are unintentionally giving customers reasons NOT to buy their games when they're released. I doubt many of the people who bought Morrowind on day one jumped for joy when they heard that a better version was going to be released at a cheaper price. I sure as hell didn't cry tears of joy when I heard about MGS2: Substance. I want to preorder MGS 3 - I really, really want to - but I've learned my lesson. I resisted the urge to buy Fatal frame 2, and it looks like Tecmo is rewarding me with a Director's Cut on Xbox. I think Silent hill 2 fans also got screwed to some extent, and I'm sure there are other examples. Super Monkey Ball fans who paid over a $100 for the 2 games have every right to be angry and not to preorder SMB3 if it's ever announced.

Secondly, I think you're all idiots. Your minds have all been murdered by too much board hopping. Except maybe Anihawk who seems to have built up some sort of immunity to bullshit. Or maybe it's in his DNA?

lordmrw

this news doesn't really bother me, but if sega were to announce Monkey Ball 3 for PS2 and Xbox only, then I think the complaining would be warranted.

etiolate

Banned
People are not just defending Sega to annoy Nintendo fans. People defend Sega becuase they like their games and they don't see the problem with putting Monkey Ball on other systems. Nintendo fans need to learn that Sega doesn't owe Nintendo or their fans anything. They are Sega's games and they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is Nintendo fans who still think that Nintendo should be treated like they're number 1 like in the 8 bit days. Those days are gone. Nintendo fans just need to get over their whining. Sega is going to do what they want to do. A real Sega fan will have bought a PS2 or Xbox by now because they will have seen that is where the real support is from Sega. I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about Capcom or Namco, as both Viewtiful Joe and Tales of Symphonia are going to PS2.

BAGEEZUS.

Sega Fans,

You are missing the point. You like Sega? You want Sega around? Did putting Sonic Heroes multiplatform or say Soccer Slam the same really help? No, Soccer Slam bombed every-fucking-where. Sonic Heroes still mostly sold on Gamecube, it did not benifit from the increased PS2 userbase. Will SMB sell on like it did on Cube for Xbox and PS2? I doubt it. What will these things do? Piss off fans who buy their games. Not everyone (now hold your breath here) who likes Sega ONLY likes Sega, so there are Nintendo fans who also like Sega, Capcom, etc. It seems though that there is a lot of Nintendo fans who also like Sega. Now there is a userbase there buying software and now Sega is screwing around with that fanbase just like they have fucked over their own fanbase FOR YEARS. If you are a Sega fan you should know this. This is bad for Sega in the long run. It's another dumb move, I can't really cut it any other way. Sega has slowed their amount of original content and increased ports. Now they are taking a fanbase with Monkeyball, that console wise debuted on a Nintendo console and thus has its userbase rooted there...and porting it to other consoles. SO what original content Sega had is now yet another port. It might get some PS2 sales, the Xbox userbase has shunned these games(yet Sega goes back for more and I suppose more handouts from MS). Handouts may provide more money but it's a bad way to conduct business. Which gets to the overall problematic issue here.

Dear Videogame Fans,

Is this sort of videogame politics good for the hobby? I say hell no. Sega is a shadow of its DC self. This is not good for videogames and while many of you see fanboy goggles and think "it should just be about the videogame and not the company" you turn your head away from obvious issues that are potential downfalls. If you think this is a fanboy issue, then you have teh GAF goggles on. Trying to filter everything into already understood terms without looking a little deeper and thinking a tiny bit about an industry you spend so much time around.

PS: I have a ps2, so lets not go there.

Top Bottom