• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with Sega?

Didn't we just have this topic done a few days ago? If you don't own all 3 consoles then rent the game youre looking at and play it at a friends house. You guys must have a shit load of grey hairs with this constant need to bitch so often. Sega doesn't owe anybody a damn thing,theyre out for themselves,the sooner you realize that the better off you'll be.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I'm not really bitching, I'm just amazed that they wouldn't put MB deluxe on the GC as well. Both games packed in with a few extras would definitely sell on the system that supported the monkey ball franchise.

Spike

GSG Flash said:
It doesn't matter to me that other consoles get Gamecube exclusives, what pisses me off is that Sega doesn't even it up by giving Gamecube exclusives of the other consoles, or giving it another GC only exclusive.

They did. Amazing Island...in stores now.

I can't really understand why everyone is bitching about this. Am I upset? Yes. But why not wait until SMB3 hits, and see if they include these bonus levels in the Cube version before bitching.

TheGreenGiant said:
The xbox really didn't help Sega's case at all. So they should just NOT make games for it ever again.

I am getting tired of the nintendo trolls and the X-box hate. I am sure their is a reason why Sega is supporting Microsoft's X-box. Maybe the Sega games are selling well in Europe on the X-box. No one has ever pulled up a chart showing the sales in Europe, it is always the USA. Thier has to be a reason for Sega giving the X-box it''s support, we just aren't seeing it. It is Sega's Decision, let them worry about what sells and what doesn't. If you own a PS2 or X-box with the Gamecube then you should have no problem with the Sega support. I am, so tired of people talking about the sell, is like they can't enjoy the games anymore and thier too worried about video game politics.

Justin Bailey said:
I'm not really bitching, I'm just amazed that they wouldn't put MB deluxe on the GC as well. Both games packed in with a few extras would definitely sell on the system that supported the monkey ball franchise.

Allright,sorry about that. And yes i do see your point. Forsome reason Sega seems to be loosing interest in GameCube. Maybe the money hats aren'tquite as green over there I dunno. I know I'd be in agony if I didn't own all consoles,mainly because you don't know what Sega games are going to end up where next. Its like Sega's wacky decision making never ended with the death of the DreamCast. Heh.

As some one said, if thier are Sega games you want and thier not on your system, get another system to go along with your Gamecube. Being a system Loyalist doens't get you anywhere in this age when your system is 2nd and 3rd.

Spike

Here's the problem that the Cube is now facing. In Japan it is a very distant second place. In the rest of the world, it seems that it faces a huge image problem.

Criteria for the third party publishers:

1. Japan = the game goes to the PS2.
2. Everywhere else = PS2 is a given, and the XBOX shares the same type of audience.

Also, another factor involved in the lessening support for Nintendo is Sammy. They haven't provided any Nintendo support, AFAIK, and this could also be the where the support decision is coming from now that they are the owners.

jarrod

Banned
Spike said:
Also, another factor involved in the lessening support for Nintendo is Sammy. They haven't provided any Nintendo support, AFAIK, and this could also be the where the support decision is coming from now that they are the owners.
Sammy rereleased the PSO keyboard... hey, it's something. :/

I think GG Isuka would do decently on GameCube actually, and it'd be cheap to port.

jarrod said:
Sammy rereleased the PSO keyboard... hey, it's something. :/

I think GG Isuka would do decently on GameCube actually, and it'd be cheap to port.

Jarrod Do you have the Numbers for the PSO keyboard for both US and Japan? Maybe it don't sell will.....so that could be what they are basing there support on.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:
Jarrod Do you have the Numbers for the PSO keyboard for both US and Japan? Maybe it don't sell will.....so that could be what they are basing there support on.
No numbers, but I imagine it sold decently the first time around (at least for a game specific peripheral), though Ascii released it that time. Sammy released it alongside PSO1&2 Plus and PSO3, neither of which did all that well. :/

Still, I can't imagine GGXX#reload did too well on XBox either and Sammy's going full force on that platform...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. But I will say this.

Sega, you do little right these days, and you're rather undeserving of current love, Dreamcast being dead for awhile now. That said, you add to the bucket of misery that is the birthright of all Nintendo fanboyz...and that my friends, is worth something. Viva la Sega. Another day, another whambulance.

Prine

Banned
Man, you Nintendo fans cry about everything.

So what if its on Xbox, you want to play those games, buy an Xbox. MS and Sega must have some sort of strong relationship which results in more content, maybe MS gives Sega extra incentives to develop for Xbox, who knows.

Outrun 2 is out soon, another Sega classic. Thanks Sega

Memles

You know...what fun will the Mini Games be if you need a Multitap to really enjoy them?

And how in the hell will this succeed on the XBox?

It's an easy decision, costs little money, and they've milked the first two for all their worth through PC...this is a good move, but it doesn't make a whole lot of actual sense, game wise.

Cafeman

GCN owners should not complain about the xbox Super Monkey Ball compilation. We've been playing Super Monkey Ball for years now; that certainly makes up for putting 2 games and some extra levels into the one compilation.

But that wacky tacky SEGA sure does make some wacky decisions...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Cafeman said:
GCN owners should not complain about the xbox Super Monkey Ball compilation. We've been playing Super Monkey Ball for years now; that certainly makes up for putting 2 games and some extra levels into the one compilation.

But that wacky tacky SEGA sure does make some wacky decisions...

Why not, I don't see Gamecube getting Xbox exclusive Sega games.

FightyF

Banned
What the hell is wrong with Nintendo fanboys?

SEGA is doing (a probably inexpensive) port of a Naomi 2 game onto the Xbox.

"OH WHAT? YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT SMB WASN'T MADE GROUND UP ON THE GC?"

I'll agree, I'd like to see SEGA's games on the (hardware-wise) superior Xbox. Shinobi and VF3 are the 2 best examples. Actually, the only 2 examples I can think of.

And the same probably applies to GC owners. But guess what, that probably takes a lot more time and effort and isn't worth it. VF3 to the PS2 wasn't a trivial and easy thing to do. Thus I don't expect it anytime soon on the GC and Xbox, both consoles' userbases are dwarfed by the PS2 userbase, FYI.

Here's a simple solution. BUY AN XBOX. Heck, you just might play it more than your GameCube.

You are missing out on the greatest hockey game ever made. How can you deny yourself that? It boggles the mind!

SEGA has made a lot of stupid, assinine, and retarded mistakes in the past. They've f*cked up on a number of occassions.

But porting Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 to the Xbox is not one of them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GSG Flash said:
Why not, I don't see Gamecube getting Xbox exclusive Sega games.

...and? Must everything be evened out? Does it really matter?

Those XBOX games BOMBED, and I don't think they'd want to bother porting failed games...

Fight for Freeform said:

I'll agree, I'd like to see SEGA's games on the (hardware-wise) superior Xbox. Shinobi and VF3 are the 2 best examples. Actually, the only 2 examples I can think of.

And the same probably applies to GC owners. But guess what, that probably takes a lot more time and effort and isn't worth it. VF3 to the PS2 wasn't a trivial and easy thing to do. Thus I don't expect it anytime soon on the GC and Xbox, both consoles' userbases are dwarfed by the PS2 userbase, FYI.

Here's a simple solution. BUY AN XBOX. Heck, you just might play it more than your GameCube.

You are missing out on the greatest hockey game ever made. How can you deny yourself that? It boggles the mind!

SEGA has made a lot of stupid, assinine, and retarded mistakes in the past. They've f*cked up on a number of occassions.

But porting Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 to the Xbox is not one of them.

Oh my god, please remove your dick from the back of your xbox.

Fight for Freeform said:

Actually, Monkey Ball is not even a Naomi 2 game is is just a Naomi game. Some say before Sega going 3rd party Moneky ball was going to be a dreamcast game. So Monkey Ball wouldn't take much cash to port to Ps2 and X-box.

T-1000_Model3 said:
Didn't we just have this topic done a few days ago? If you don't own all 3 consoles then rent the game youre looking at and play it at a friends house. You guys must have a shit load of grey hairs with this constant need to bitch so often. Sega doesn't owe anybody a damn thing,theyre out for themselves,the sooner you realize that the better off you'll be.

Post of the bloody year.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fight for Freeform said:

Please, PLEASE tell me that I should be registering sarcasm on the meter right now. Please.

etiolate

Banned
I think the problem a lot of people here have is that they don't really understand what it's like to run a multimillion-dollar corporation.

Funny, neither does Sega.

Surely pissing off fans won't hurt you in the long run as Sega obviously has sh.... OH WAIT.

PS: Making fun of Sega is too easy, but people are defending them just to annoy the Nintendo fans. That is just incredibly sad.

mj1108

enjoy bell woods said:
I think the problem a lot of people here have is that they don't really understand what it's like to run a multimillion-dollar corporation.

Apparently neither do the people who run Sega.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i can see the sense in not releasing monkeyball dx on gamecube -- given the paucity of new content, it'd be kind of a ripoff to people who already own monkey ball 1 + 2. it might alienate fans who buy it without understanding what it is.

Dragmire

I would totally go for this game, but I only own a GameCube. I shouldn't have to buy a new system for a damned Monkey Ball game. And I shouldn't have to pay $40 for less damned content than the damned $30 DX game. What the hell? Oh, right... Sega...

ge-man

Ugh, this is getting out of hand.

You know, it is disappointing to see great games get ported away from the GC and get the deluxe treatment with nothing in return, but what are people expecting? Multiplatform development drives the industry now, but Nintendo has rode the exclusive games philosophy for far too long to get a break.

Frankly, if you want to bitch about something, maybe you should ask about what kind of future support that Sega is going to give Nintendo now. Porting SMB is minor thing compared to not seeing Sega on the GC anymore. I haven't heard any annoucements for GC in the last few months--I'm beginning to wonder if Amazing Island might be the last Sega game we'll see on the GC.

etiolate said:
Funny, neither does Sega.

Surely pissing off fans won't hurt you in the long run as Sega obviously has sh.... OH WAIT.

PS: Making fun of Sega is too easy, but people are defending them just to annoy the Nintendo fans. That is just incredibly sad.

People are not just defending Sega to annoy Nintendo fans. People defend Sega becuase they like their games and they don't see the problem with putting Monkey Ball on other systems. Nintendo fans need to learn that Sega doesn't owe Nintendo or their fans anything. They are Sega's games and they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is Nintendo fans who still think that Nintendo should be treated like they're number 1 like in the 8 bit days. Those days are gone. Nintendo fans just need to get over their whining. Sega is going to do what they want to do. A real Sega fan will have bought a PS2 or Xbox by now because they will have seen that is where the real support is from Sega. I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about Capcom or Namco, as both Viewtiful Joe and Tales of Symphonia are going to PS2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sonic4ever said:
People are not just defending Sega to anoys Nintendo fans. People defend Sega becuase they like thier games and, they don't see the problem with potting Monkey Ball to other systems. Nintendo fans, needs to learn that Sega doens't owe nintendo or thier fans anything, it is Sega's games and they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is Nintendo fans that still think that nintendo should be treated like thier no 1 like in the 8 bit days. those days are gone. Nintendo fans just need to get over thier whinning, and except Sega is going to do what they want to do, a real sega fan ( I am not talking about a nintendo fan who like sega becuase they support nintendo but i fan that like sega form the past form the Genesis, saturn and Dreamcast) will have bought a Ps2 or X-box by now becuase they willhave seen that is where the real support is with Sega games. I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about capcom or namco, both vietful Joe and the Tales game on Nintendo Gamecube are going to PS2.

IAWTP

cvxfreak

sonic4ever said:
People are not just defending Sega to anoys Nintendo fans. People defend Sega becuase they like thier games and, they don't see the problem with potting Monkey Ball to other systems. Nintendo fans, needs to learn that Sega doens't owe nintendo or thier fans anything, it is Sega's games and they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is Nintendo fans that still think that nintendo should be treated like thier no 1 like in the 8 bit days. those days are gone. Nintendo fans just need to get over thier whinning, and except Sega is going to do what they want to do, a real sega fan ( I am not talking about a nintendo fan who like sega becuase they support nintendo but i fan that like sega form the past form the Genesis, saturn and Dreamcast) will have bought a Ps2 or X-box by now becuase they willhave seen that is where the real support is with Sega games. I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about capcom or namco, both vietful Joe and the Tales game on Nintendo Gamecube are going to PS2.

I think GameCube owners despise not getting Dante, getting screwed out of extra Tales content, and paying more than 3x the price for two Monkey Balls that don't even contain as much content.

I'd rather get things multiplatformed from the very beginning if there were any intentions of doing so, so no one gets screwed,

AniHawk

sonic4ever said:
People are not just defending Sega to annoy Nintendo fans. People defend Sega becuase they like their games and they don't see the problem with putting Monkey Ball on other systems. Nintendo fans need to learn that Sega doesn't owe Nintendo or their fans anything. They are Sega's games and they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is Nintendo fans who still think that Nintendo should be treated like they're number 1 like in the 8 bit days. Those days are gone. Nintendo fans just need to get over their whining. Sega is going to do what they want to do. A real Sega fan will have bought a PS2 or Xbox by now because they will have seen that is where the real support is from Sega. I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about Capcom or Namco, as both Viewtiful Joe and Tales of Symphonia are going to PS2.

Translated for English-speaking readers.

nitewulf

sonic4ever does make a good point though...a lot of those gamecube games are being ported to other consoles.

I'd rather get things multiplatformed from the very beginning if there were any intentions of doing so, so no one gets screwed,

but may be the decision to port the games is recent? originally they probably didnt plan it that way, but they see a viable market now and decided to port them?

AniHawk said:
Translated for English-speaking readers.

thanks Ani-Hawk. :D I know I often post spelling and grammer errors. I tend start typing to fast when I get worked up. Plus I have bad eye sight, I often miss simple things.

AniHawk

nitewulf said:
but may be the decision to port the games is recent? originally they probably didnt plan it that way, but they see a viable market now and decided to port them?

Probably it. Every game being ported to other systems have been very successful (except VF according to Capcom).

nitewulf

AniHawk said:
People are not just defending Sega to annoy Nintendo fans. People defend Sega becuase they like their games and they don't see the problem with putting Monkey Ball on other systems. Nintendo fans need to learn that Sega doesn't owe Nintendo or their fans anything. They are Sega's games and they can bring them to whichever system they wish. It is Nintendo fans who still think that Nintendo should be treated like they're number 1 like in the 8 bit days. Those days are gone. Nintendo fans just need to get over their whining. Sega is going to do what they want to do. A real Sega fan will have bought a PS2 or Xbox by now because they will have seen that is where the real support is from Sega. I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about Capcom or Namco, both Viewtiful Joe and the Tales games on Nintendo Gamecube are going to PS2.

the quantifier "both" is reffering to more than one game, hence the noun "game" should be pluralized.

nitewulf said:
the quantifier "both" is reffering to more than one game, hence the noun "game" should be pluralized.

I thought thier was just was Just "Tales of Symphony" on the Gamecube, I didn't think thier was any other Tales game. I guess I should have said, "I ask again why are Nintendo fans not screaming about Capcom or Namco, both Viewtiful Joe and Tales of Symphony on Nintendo Gamecube are going to PS2."

I don't think that its about being upset at the game being ported to the Xbox/PS2 in general, its more about porting all games across all platforms.

SMB is not the kind of game that has gamers up in a frenzy on release, so to release it on other consoles but to leave other franchises untouched in the porting realm seems sort of ass backward.

But I think you have to consider the fact that SMB/2 are not what you would call high profile. The games are more financially less risky then Panzor Dragon or VF4.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
OG_Original Gamer said:
But I think you have to consider the fact that SMB/2 are not what you would call high profile. The games are more financially less risky then Panzor Dragon or VF4.

Panzer sure, but VF4 is pretty high profile imo.

cvxfreak

olubode said:
Panzer sure, but VF4 is pretty high profile imo.

I think what's keeping Sega from doing it is Japan's low Xbox fanbase, where VF games are also popular. But the U.S. market should more than make up for it. But Sega doesn't want to do so, so it's their loss (or gain?).

Shinobi

sonic4ever said:
The Only people that are bitter are the Gamecube only owners. If you are a Sega fan you would own either a X-box or PS2 along with a Gamecube, then you won't have the problem of getting other Sega games. No one bitched and through a fit when Capcom ported Viewtful Joe but Sega always get the wrong end of the stick from the whinny Fanboys. I think this week has been great being a Sega fan, Monkey Ball DX for PS2 and X-box, a chance of a new Monkey Ball3 for multiplatfomr, Modle 2 ports for PS2, Shining Force 4 for PS2, a new fighting game for PS2, Outrun2 on the X-box having daytona2 and scud racer tracks and, a sonic team game for the Nintendo DS. This should be a happy week for Sega fans, well I guess except for the ones that own Gamecube exclusively.

Project Midway said:
I find it funny that some people think a videogame company "owes" something to its fans and is ripping them of if they release ex-exclusive game on other platforms. Fanboy-way-of-thinking...

T-1000_Model3 said:

A-FUCKING-MEN.

Speevy said:
I'm just pissed because I can't put SMB on a list of true exclusives when I'm looking back at the Cube.

:lol Pathetic...

Musashi Wins! said:
I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. But I will say this.

Sega, you do little right these days, and you're rather undeserving of current love, Dreamcast being dead for awhile now. That said, you add to the bucket of misery that is the birthright of all Nintendo fanboyz...and that my friends, is worth something. Viva la Sega. Another day, another whambulance.

:lol

For all the yap about M$ and "teh money hat$!!!11" that usually goes on in other threads, it's always hilarious that the same people somehow don't consider the realistic possibility of Microsoft compensating Sega quite well for their wares since they're one of the few third party Japanese developers that actually gives a honest effort when making an XBox game. Not neccessarily compensation in terms of buying the games, but certainly in terms of giving them a great deal on the license fee. Meanwhile we know that Nintendo rarely plays that game even with the big boys, let alone with a company that's lost much of it's selling power in recent years. So what the fuck's so hard to figure out here? Meanwhile everyone with a working brain cell knows that Sony bought VF4, otherwise it would've shown up on XBox as well. Hell, there was talk that part of the Sony/VF4 arrangement is that Sega had to kill off a DC version that was pretty far along. With that being the case, it stands to reason that it hasn't shown up anywhere else.

If I'm being given early incentive to make product for one thing, and no incentive to make product for another, it's a pretty easy decision for me where I'm gonna go. As for PS2, I reckon it's 900 million userbase is incentive enough to toss that machine a bone or two. These things just aren't that hard to figure out, unless you've got a Cube lodged up your ass with a controller dangling out. When Nintendo does give Sega an incentive to make a game for their machine, they make something like F-Zero, with an arcade version and a deluxe cabinet to boot. It isn't complicated.

Did anyone bitch this loudly when Burnout 2 on XBox was given extra content? Probably not, since it was only published by Acclaim and who gives a shit about them anyway? But every fucking move Sega makes gets dissected by a bunch of children who'd probably only play thier games if it was given to them. In one sense I guess it proves that Sega still has stroke in the hardcore gaming realm, but such overwhelming constant negativity over the most trivial things just mystifies me.

M3wThr33

Banned
Of course MS pays developers to make Xbox games. Seamus Blackley in a PGC audio interview said the Xbox was creating a reverse economy of games where the publisher's desire for a varied library overrides what actually sells.

Besides, for every GameCube game that loses exclusivety, there's two more franchises that don't get ported to it and that's the whole hatred behind Sega. They aren't balancing out the screw-over to everyone. It's just slapping Nintendo fans in the face and pumping MS and Sony with more content.

Tsubaki

M3wThr33 said:
Besides, for every GameCube game that loses exclusivety, there's two more franchises that don't get ported to it and that's the whole hatred behind Sega. They aren't balancing out the screw-over to everyone. It's just slapping Nintendo fans in the face and pumping MS and Sony with more content.

Which is the same as what others are saying in this thread about Nintendophiles whining about how their favorite system is lacking. If you were a Sega fan, why the heck would you only have a GC anyway?

Shinobi

M3wThr33 said:

To Nintendo fans I say too fucking bad. Find me the law that says third parties should even out the exclusive and ports among two or three consoles.

Bottom line is there's no obligation for a company to do anything on a console. As a Sega fan, I oughta know. Third parties releasing Saturn versions of their games several weeks after the PSX version, if at all. Or third parties giving the DC PSX games in high res. Hell, Sega pulled the plug early on the fucking Dreamcast...I could've sat in a corner and grumbled for three years, or I could choose to buy the "enemy consoles", continue to play their games and get the fuck over it. If your brain isn't fried by crack and you're older then 12, logic says you get over it.

Nintendo fans should be upset at Nintendo if anything else. MS obviously has no problem subsidizing publishers for games, even if they do sell like shit. All I ever hear about is Nintendo's much vaunted $5 billion war chest. Well why not fucking use it? If MS can grease the palms of publishers with their coin, I don't know why Nintendo can't do the same thing. Not that Nintendo is obligated to do that either. But when XBox is getting old exclusives or extra content while Cube gets nothing, the only one to blame for that is Nintendo.

Top Bottom