• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is wrong with Sega?

AniHawk

Socreges said:
Can we still go here:

:p

There's already a topic about DC vs. early PS2. Go there if you want.

Sonic4ever: Sorry to upset you. I didn't single JUST you out either. Besides, my first comment towards you was an attempt at humor. I'm always 75% sarcastic/trying to crack a joke around here and many people still don't know that.

Socreges

Banned
etiolate said:
I am not sure what that has to do with this?

But its true
I was under the impression that you used "I have a PS2" to show how you're not just a biased fanboy. Yet you think the original content is of "ok quality". I dunno. They kind of cancel each other out, in my mind.

lordmrw

BuddyChrist83 said:
How many systems is the Genesis / Sega CD / 32X again?

a few too fucking many, but the True(heh) sega fans gladly bent over and grabbed their ankles and paid for all of them, for all the good it did them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Lemme see...

1 - Master System
2 - Genesis
3 - Game Gear
4 - Sega CD [a new system in as much as it ran different games]
5 - Sega 32 X [see #4]
6 - Sega Saturn
7 - Sega Dreamcast
8 - Pico

How's that? Even if you discount the Sega CD and 32X, there are STILL 6 unique Sega systems -- of which I own 5.

goodcow

DavidDayton said:
Lemme see...

1 - Master System
2 - Genesis
3 - Game Gear
4 - Sega CD [a new system in as much as it ran different games]
5 - Sega 32 X [see #4]
6 - Sega Saturn
7 - Sega Dreamcast
8 - Pico

How's that? Even if you discount the Sega CD and 32X, there are STILL 6 unique Sega systems -- of which I own 5.

You can't count the Game Gear as "unique" because it's just a Master System. If you count that as unique, you might as well count the Nomad.

Master System
Game Gear
Genesis
Nomad
Sega CD
CDX
32X
Pico
Saturn
Dreamcast

DDayton

goodcow said:
You can't count the Game Gear as "unique" because it's just a Master System. If you count that as unique, you might as well count the Nomad.

It's not -just- a Master System, though. A stock Game Gear can't run SMS games, and a stock SMS can't run Game Gear games... in addition, didn't the Game Gear have a better color palette than the SMS?

I'd argue that Game Gear is a unique system, but that a Nomad is not... as a Nomad only ran Genesis games.

doncale

Banned
GameGear *is* unique, it is not EXACTLY a Master System. GameGear has a larger color pallete than the Master and also bigger than that of the Genesis.

Nomad is a Genesis

GameGear is a 'Master System Plus'

etiolate said:
BAGEEZUS.

Sega Fans,

You are missing the point. You like Sega? You want Sega around? Did putting Sonic Heroes multiplatform or say Soccer Slam the same really help? No, Soccer Slam bombed every-fucking-where. Sonic Heroes still mostly sold on Gamecube, it did not benifit from the increased PS2 userbase. Will SMB sell on like it did on Cube for Xbox and PS2? I doubt it. What will these things do? Piss off fans who buy their games. Not everyone (now hold your breath here) who likes Sega ONLY likes Sega, so there are Nintendo fans who also like Sega, Capcom, etc. It seems though that there is a lot of Nintendo fans who also like Sega. Now there is a userbase there buying software and now Sega is screwing around with that fanbase just like they have fucked over their own fanbase FOR YEARS. If you are a Sega fan you should know this. This is bad for Sega in the long run. It's another dumb move, I can't really cut it any other way. Sega has slowed their amount of original content and increased ports. Now they are taking a fanbase with Monkeyball, that console wise debuted on a Nintendo console and thus has its userbase rooted there...and porting it to other consoles. SO what original content Sega had is now yet another port. It might get some PS2 sales, the Xbox userbase has shunned these games(yet Sega goes back for more and I suppose more handouts from MS). Handouts may provide more money but it's a bad way to conduct business. Which gets to the overall problematic issue here.

Dear Videogame Fans,

Is this sort of videogame politics good for the hobby? I say hell no. Sega is a shadow of its DC self. This is not good for videogames and while many of you see fanboy goggles and think "it should just be about the videogame and not the company" you turn your head away from obvious issues that are potential downfalls. If you think this is a fanboy issue, then you have teh GAF goggles on. Trying to filter everything into already understood terms without looking a little deeper and thinking a tiny bit about an industry you spend so much time around.

PS: I have a ps2, so lets not go there.

I pretty much AW most of TP

This is what I mean about diluting the brand name. If SEGA = crap.. and the perception sticks. Like Acclaim/TItus = crap.. then they won't be long now.

FightyF

Banned
Please, PLEASE tell me that I should be registering sarcasm on the meter right now. Please.

What's wrong with you?

It's the best hockey game out, perhaps one of the best sports games out, and it's not on the GameCube.

Why?

Because of Nintendo.

InvasionLanceStorm.JPG

Don't blame SEGA, blame yourself!

If Nintendo did a better job catering to adults and mainstream gamers, you would probably see some quality titles on it. Have fun with your Billy Hatcher, which you as a member of the fanbase totally deserve. I'll be a part of an older, more mature, casual fanbase that will get a chance to play some of these great games (the ESPN titles).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
anyone who's less likely to buy monkey ball 3 because the first two games are being ported to xbox and ps2 is an unbelievably petty twit. i think sega are going forward on the assumption that unbelievably petty twits are a tiny minority of even the gamecube audience, notwithstanding all the message board evidence to the contrary.

Socreges

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
What's wrong with you?

It's the best hockey game out, perhaps one of the best sports games out, and it's not on the GameCube.

Why?

Because of Nintendo.

InvasionLanceStorm.JPG

Don't blame SEGA, blame yourself!

If Nintendo did a better job catering to adults and mainstream gamers, you would probably see some quality titles on it. Have fun with your Billy Hatcher, which you as a member of the fanbase totally deserve. I'll be a part of an older, more mature, casual fanbase that will get a chance to play some of these great games (the ESPN titles).
Uh, I think his point was: not everyone cares about hockey.

Hell, I love hockey, own a PS2, and still won't be buying NHL 2K5. Best hockey game ever? Not worth enough by itself.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
040907_1_2.jpg

VideoFenky said:
Sega announced today that it has hired on famous Korean "unit" Sugar to be their "promotion character" for Sega Superstars, due out November 11 in Japan. The four-girl group was previously hired on to be the "image character" for the company's arcade division.

These four girls are named (left to right in the photo) Jung-Eum, Soo-Jin, Hye-Seung and Ahyoomi, and they're all very pretty, I guess, but I really don't know what qualifies this group to be image characters, or promotion characters, or any sort of characters, really, other than the kind that serve me 600-yen iced coffees at cafes in Shibuya. Sega says that they had two albums in 2003 "that both entered the top ten in Korea's hit charts and won several awards," but as far as I can tell, playing assorted characters for everyone's favorite Japanese games maker is their first major work outside of their native country.

That is what's wrong with Sega.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Fight for Freeform said:
haha, well I'd rather have Billy Hatcher than some ol' hockey game. And I'm an "older, mature" person, so chew on that.

The best hockey game is NHL Hitz 2003.
Damn straight.

drohne said:
anyone who's less likely to buy monkey ball 3 because the first two games are being ported to xbox and ps2 is an unbelievably petty twit. i think sega are going forward on the assumption that unbelievably petty twits are a tiny minority of even the gamecube audience, notwithstanding all the message board evidence to the contrary.

Gamecube owners still embraced Sonic Heroes despite it going multiplatform. That's probably behind the thinking of Sega's latest move. Though I think they are underestimating the impact of petty fanboys on the internet. Some of these fanboys are actually in the industry and media after all. Sega should spend some effort in making folks actually respect them. The amount of disrespect in this thread is almost overwhelming. Little kids and weak minded immature individuals thinking they can run a multibillion dollar corporation better when they couldn't run a lemonade stand. Just fucking childish, naive, and pathetic.

drohne said:

hhehehehe you probably never understood the thinking of the Nintendo collective, Not myself but pretty much every Nintendo loyalist won`t let sega get away with this, you mark my words, they will get what they deserve.

Most of their games ONLY seem to sell and sell well to the Nintendo crowd, based on the fact that we dont want them to die and we feel we owe it to sega to buy their games due to all the great stuff they contributed to the 16bit era, but to continue to screw us over is something we wont deal with any longer and watch them pay for these stupid decisions in the few months ahead and straight into next gen :D

Call me a passionate Nintendo drone or any other crap i have a Saturn, DC, PS2 and will soon get an xbox but my love for Nintendo will never die

AniHawk

Mr_Furious said:
I was only talking about current gen home systems seeing that this is what all the fuss is about :p

DC and GBA are current gen video game systems. :)

Whenever I see system, I think video game systems in general. Handheld = GBA and the like. Consoles = the home game.

DDayton

Fight for Freeform said:
What's wrong with you?

I'm just saying that most folks aren't all that fond of hockey games... so I really didn't see how it was so impossible to imagine someone "denying" themself the game. Hockey is still a bit of a niche sports game, after all... I don't think it makes or breaks any platform to have it missing. Thus, I was rather amazed to see you seemingly making it such an important title when it came to choosing a system.

Shinobi

kernel said:
Firstly, I think a lot of you have missed a more important point: companies are unintentionally giving customers reasons NOT to buy their games when they're released. I doubt many of the people who bought Morrowind on day one jumped for joy when they heard that a better version was going to be released at a cheaper price. I sure as hell didn't cry tears of joy when I heard about MGS2: Substance. I want to preorder MGS 3 - I really, really want to - but I've learned my lesson. I resisted the urge to buy Fatal frame 2, and it looks like Tecmo is rewarding me with a Director's Cut on Xbox. I think Silent hill 2 fans also got screwed to some extent, and I'm sure there are other examples. Super Monkey Ball fans who paid over a $100 for the 2 games have every right to be angry and not to preorder SMB3 if it's ever announced.

Complete and utter bullshit. This is akin to someone buying a console within the first 12 months of it's life, then bitching because it's gone down in price. If a game is ported to something else months after the original game, I don't see why it's some sort of great sin or slap in the face to add extra content, anymore then it's some great slap in the face to take a year to release the game on said machine in the first place. You either buy the game enjoy it early, or you wait six months or a year and get version with some extras. Both scenarios have their advantages. No one forces anyone to buy a game or console when it comes out.

This is the way the real world works. Been going on with cars forever. Every year they get more and more features. What are you gonna do, wait for the perfect model to show up in 2517 before buying one? Please

lordmrw said:
this news doesn't really bother me, but if sega were to announce Monkey Ball 3 for PS2 and Xbox only, then I think the complaining would be warranted.

Maybe...maybe not. If MB3 is net based, Cube doesn't exactly provide a great canvas for such a title. But I could at least understand the complaints in that sceniro. Still as a DC owner and fan, I'd have zero sympathy.

etiolate said:
BAGEEZUS.

Sega Fans,

You are missing the point. You like Sega? You want Sega around? Did putting Sonic Heroes multiplatform or say Soccer Slam the same really help? No, Soccer Slam bombed every-fucking-where. Sonic Heroes still mostly sold on Gamecube, it did not benifit from the increased PS2 userbase. Will SMB sell on like it did on Cube for Xbox and PS2? I doubt it. What will these things do? Piss off fans who buy their games. Not everyone (now hold your breath here) who likes Sega ONLY likes Sega, so there are Nintendo fans who also like Sega, Capcom, etc. It seems though that there is a lot of Nintendo fans who also like Sega. Now there is a userbase there buying software and now Sega is screwing around with that fanbase just like they have fucked over their own fanbase FOR YEARS. If you are a Sega fan you should know this. This is bad for Sega in the long run. It's another dumb move, I can't really cut it any other way. Sega has slowed their amount of original content and increased ports. Now they are taking a fanbase with Monkeyball, that console wise debuted on a Nintendo console and thus has its userbase rooted there...and porting it to other consoles. SO what original content Sega had is now yet another port. It might get some PS2 sales, the Xbox userbase has shunned these games(yet Sega goes back for more and I suppose more handouts from MS). Handouts may provide more money but it's a bad way to conduct business. Which gets to the overall problematic issue here.

Dear Videogame Fans,

Is this sort of videogame politics good for the hobby? I say hell no. Sega is a shadow of its DC self. This is not good for videogames and while many of you see fanboy goggles and think "it should just be about the videogame and not the company" you turn your head away from obvious issues that are potential downfalls. If you think this is a fanboy issue, then you have teh GAF goggles on. Trying to filter everything into already understood terms without looking a little deeper and thinking a tiny bit about an industry you spend so much time around.

PS: I have a ps2, so lets not go there.

Another empty, baseless rant. Are Nbots making this much noise about SF Generations not being on Cube, considering SF2 reached superstar status on the SNES? Nope. The idea that XBox is getting this game instead of Cube would've been considered completely laughable five years ago. Then again, so would the idea of VF4 showing up on PS2 instead of DC. Shit happens.

Console owners bitching about a two and three year old game getting ported to an "enemy" console is pure fanboy-driven nonsense. Did NBots give Capcom a hard time for having the nerve to throw RE4 onto the Cube as an exclusive, when the series had been built on Playstation? Nope. Instead there was joy and jubilation. And that's how it should be...if you get the game and the other guy doesn't, fuck them and good for you. But don't hand me this bill of goods about video game politics and the pitfalls of the industry when it goes in reverse.

Seriously, this would be like Saturn owners bitching about VF2 and Decathlete getting ported to PS2. "OH TEH NO'S, THEY'VE RUINED SATURN'S EXCLUSIVITY!!! AND THOSE VERSIONS ARE TEH BETTER!!! AND VF2 EVEN HAS TEH BRIDGE!!!! NOW SATURN'S NOT TEH VALUABLE ANYMORE!!!11". I mean give me a fucking break. Hey, why not bitch about EA making Goldeneye 2 for PS2 and XBox? And maybMy fans should be ticked that Crash and Spyro are on XBox and Cube. And I guess Sega fans should still feel bitter that Crazy Taxi was whored out to every platform on earth, even if it did sell well. Christ, can't believe people agree with this childish prattle.

Now if Sega was porting say, F-Zero to another console, then the bitching would be completely justified. But that's obviously not the case...it's their own game, and they can do what they like with it.

lordmrw said:
a few too fucking many, but the True(heh) sega fans gladly bent over and grabbed their ankles and paid for all of them, for all the good it did them.

I didn't. I knew Sega CD was shit the moment I saw it. "HEY IT'S MULTIMEDIA TIME - NOW GO MAKE YOUR OWN VIDEO!!"...shut the fuck up. 32X at least had Virtua Racing, Star Wars and Doom at launch, but I took a wait and see on that while buying up Genny games in the meantime. Didn't get a 32X until years later.

Really, if you didn't have a Master System, then you've got no room to talk about being a "true" Sega fan. It was easy to become one during the Genesis era when Sonic had two cartoons going, Genny was in MTV commercials and Sega and was all the rage. Of course the truth is that the amount of Sega consoles you ownhas little to do with being a true Sega fan, and is just another part of the fanboy-induced silliness that goes on around here.

goodcow said:

How the hell is that true when the Game Gear used it's own games? The only way you could play Master System games was to use an adapter. Using your logic, the Genesis was a Master System as well.

drohne said:

Haha, right on. Bottom line is, you either like the game or you don't. Why pretend? Why play into the silly fanboy games and politics? Life's too fucking short for such foolishness.

AniHawk

Another empty, baseless rant. Are Nbots making this much noise about SF Generations not being on Cube, considering SF2 reached superstar status on the SNES? Nope. The idea that XBox is getting this game instead of Cube would've been considered completely laughable five years ago. Then again, so would the idea of VF4 showing up on PS2 instead of DC. Shit happens.

Heh, an interesting thing with Nintendo and Sega fans it is. I think some Nintendo fans feel like since Sega is so similar in that they were mainly a game company which made their own hardware, and the fact that there was such a strong rivalry with the classic Genesis/SNES battle (which sometimes still gets brought back again), that these Nintendo fans feel like Sega and Sega fans would be able to relate to Nintendo more than MS (which helped out Sega towards the end with the DC, didn't they?) or especially Sony (who Peter Moore stated that he hated them outright- but hey, it's Peter Moore :p). Guess old habits die hard.

Shinobi said:
Complete and utter bullshit. This is akin to someone buying a console within the first 12 months of it's life, then bitching because it's gone down in price. If a game is ported to something else months after the original game, I don't see why it's some sort of great sin or slap in the face to add extra content, anymore then it's some great slap in the face to take a year to release the game on said machine in the first place. You either buy the game enjoy it early, or you wait six months or a year and get version with some extras. Both scenarios have their advantages. No one forces anyone to buy a game or console when it comes out.

This is the way the real world works. Been going on with cars forever. Every year they get more and more features. What are you gonna do, wait for the perfect model to show up in 2517 before buying one? Please.

oh god. IAWTP. I don't understand why people were cross at ports for any reason other than that ports divert resources for new stuff. But this is SEGA and their new stuff is very ordinary at best.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd take the original content on DC over the ok quality/large hype original content on PS2.

OK, so what about the high quality original PS2 content with little or no hype?

Shinobi

Well that's a seperate argument altogether. It doesn't concern me, cause it's my belief that Sega is saving most of it's big guns for 2005 and 2006, so they can start the next generation on the fly instead of being a leg or two behind as they've been on PS2. Releasing say, a Sega Raly 3, Panzer Saga 2 or VF5 this generation would be a complete waste of time. Games of that ilk would make a far bigger impact at or closer to the launch of the new consoles, and help establish a consumer base for Sega early on just like Namco did on PSX, EA on PS2, and Team Ninja on XBox.

Still, even in Sega's seemingly darkest days I'm getting OutRun 2, Spikeout and some quality sports games from them, and that's still more then most companies will ever have on offer in a five or six month span. I guess the disappointment in Sega this year just shows how highly their games been regarded before, though I think their output during the Saturn and DC era's was taken for granted.

Shinobi said:
Well that's a seperate argument altogether. It doesn't concern me, cause it's my belief that Sega is saving most of it's big guns for 2005 and 2006, so they can start the next generation on the fly instead of being a leg or two behind as they've been on PS2. Releasing say, a Sega Raly 3, Panzer Saga 2 or VF5 this generation would be a complete waste of time. Games of that ilk would make a far bigger impact at or closer to the launch of the new consoles, and help establish a consumer base for Sega early on just like Namco did on PSX, EA on PS2, and Team Ninja on XBox.

Still, even in Sega's seemingly darkest days I'm getting OutRun 2, Spikeout and some quality sports games from them, and that's still more then most companies will ever have on offer in a five or six month span. I guess the disappointment in Sega this year just shows how highly their games been regarded before, though I think their output during the Saturn and DC era's was taken for granted.

A) if they can't make it on the current installed base of millions of consoles; how is starting afresh next gen going to help?

b) Outrun 2 is outsourced; there's not really any great stuff coming from them on the horizon; the DS stuff could be cool/different but my hopes have been dashed since I read the Blood will tell Preview.

Shinobi

Eh, plenty of games get outsourced. They originally made it, their name is on it, so it's their game. Getting technical over stuff like that is a fool's errand.

As for the first point, who the hell was Bungie to console gamers before this generation? Who was Team Ninja? Outside of DOA on the PSX and a handful of DOA arcade units, they had no presence in North America. Namco's last big 16 bit release here was WeaponLord, which perhaps 8 people bothered with. Square went from the Final Fantasy company to a third party juggernaut on PSX outside of Japan. Psygnosis had done little on the console landscape, but rode the Wipeout wave to huge success on PSX. I don't even need to mention Rockstar. Those examples are just off the top of my head.

Sega still clearly has presence, despite it being pretty mild. The sports games are selling, albeit at a cheap price. The Sonic anime draws as big a rating as any show on Fox kids. The Sonic games still sell pretty well, relative to other platformers. It isn't like they're dead. And they're FAR better off now then they were in late '98 and early '99, when aside from a few Model 2/Saturn ports on the PC game shelves they didn't even exist at retail level. Yet DC's launch was a huge success.

It doesn't matter how you finish when it comes to selling games...it simply matters how you start. If Sega can throw out a new Sonic, VF5, Sega Rally 3 and Phantasy Star Generations right off the jump that are visual sparklers and garner plenty of praise, they'll be right back with the big boys. The chances of that happening are far greater then they would be if they released such games now, when things have already been settled.

bionic77

Shinobi said:
Eh, plenty of games get outsourced. They originally made it, their name is on it, so it's their game. Getting technical over stuff like that is a fool's errand.

As for the first point, who the hell was Bungie to console gamers before this generation? Who was Team Ninja? Outside of DOA on the PSX and a handful of DOA arcade units, they had no presence in North America. Namco's last big 16 bit release here was WeaponLord, which perhaps 8 people bothered with. Square went from the Final Fantasy company to a third party juggernaut on PSX outside of Japan. Psygnosis had done little on the console landscape, but rode the Wipeout wave to huge success on PSX. I don't even need to mention Rockstar. Those examples are just off the top of my head.

Sega still clearly has presence, despite it being pretty mild. The sports games are selling, albeit at a cheap price. The Sonic anime draws as big a rating as any show on Fox kids. The Sonic games still sell pretty well, relative to other platformers. It isn't like they're dead. And they're FAR better off now then they were in late '98 and early '99, when aside from a few Model 2/Saturn ports on the PC game shelves they didn't even exist at retail level. Yet DC's launch was a huge success.

It doesn't matter how you finish when it comes to selling games...it simply matters how you start. If Sega can throw out a new Sonic, VF5, Sega Rally 3 and Phantasy Star Generations right off the jump that are visual sparklers and garner plenty of praise, they'll be right back with the big boys. The chances of that happening are far greater then they would be if they released such games now, when things have already been settled.

It would rock if Sega somehow got their shit together and started putting out typical Sega quality software for the next gen. Sega just hasn't seemed the same since the DC died. :(

I actually think that the N-fans have 'some' logic to what they are saying. It really doesn't make a lot of sense for Sega to support the Xbox with so much software when they obviously don't buy it. Just like it made sense for Sega to drop the GC from it's sports lineup when they sold like garbage. Honestly, some of Sega's business decisions have made almost zero sense this gen. I only care about that because I don't want them to go the way of acclaim, if I was certain they would always be around I could care less as long as we kept getting kickass games and hopefully Sega gets their shit together soon.

kernel

Shinobi said:
You either buy the game enjoy it early, or you wait six months or a year and get version with some extras. Both scenarios have their advantages. No one forces anyone to buy a game or console when it comes out.

Yes, very good. My post implied that I'm going to wait from now on because the rewards for the patient are getting too good. I may not always get extra content, but the worst that could happen is I get the game at a cheaper price. I've never seen a time where early adopters are slapped in the face like they are now. People who bought Sonic 3 didn't automatically get Sonic 2 included with their purchase, but today people who buy Otogi 2 get the entire first game for free! Good for me since I didn't buy the first game but sucks for those who made the sequel possible.

And both of your comparisons are shit. Like I said before, my post implied that the rewards are getting too good. If I bought a car in 2002 and saw today that those who waited an extra 12 - 18 months to buy that car will get the old model plus the new model and 46 extra levels all at less than a quarter of the price of what I had to pay, then I would have every right to get a teensy bit angry. Had Sega just given the other console owners the games packaged together at a cheaper price, I wouldn't have minded as much. But because of the extra levels I will have to buy this new version too which will bring my total to $130 plus tax and shipping.

It's really quite simple.

AniHawk said:
There's already a topic about DC vs. early PS2. Go there if you want.

Sonic4ever: Sorry to upset you. I didn't single JUST you out either. Besides, my first comment towards you was an attempt at humor. I'm always 75% sarcastic/trying to crack a joke around here and many people still don't know that.

apologey accepted. Glad to hear you hear you were joking, and in the future I will remeber that you make Jokes. Sometimes it hard to read People when you don't hear thier voice.
I too want to say I am sorry, if I ever offended you by calling you a Nintendo Fanboy.

kernel

drohne said:

Another fine contribution to this thread. :/ Posts with name-calling are my favorite.

At least it made Shinobi happy. :p

norinrad21 said:
hhehehehe you probably never understood the thinking of the Nintendo collective, Not myself but pretty much every Nintendo loyalist won`t let sega get away with this, you mark my words, they will get what they deserve.

Most of their games ONLY seem to sell and sell well to the Nintendo crowd, based on the fact that we dont want them to die and we feel we owe it to sega to buy their games due to all the great stuff they contributed to the 16bit era, but to continue to screw us over is something we wont deal with any longer and watch them pay for these stupid decisions in the few months ahead and straight into next gen :D

Call me a passionate Nintendo drone or any other crap i have a Saturn, DC, PS2 and will soon get an xbox but my love for Nintendo will never die

Square screwed over Nintendo, worst then Sega. Besides making a bad movie, Square has done well on PS1 and PS2. Square has made one Gamecube game, but that was with Nintendo's own money, and becuase Square wanted to work on the GBA. Sega has given the Gamcube better support then just one game like Square. I don't think the Nintendo fanboys have the power like they think. So I doubt Sega is worried about "screwing" over Nintendo as some people call it.

bionic77

sonic4ever said:
Square screwed over Nintendo, worst then Sega. Besides making a bad movie, Square has done well on PS1 and PS2. Square has made one Gamecube game, but that was with Nintendo's own money, and becuase Square wanted to work on the GBA. Sega has given the Gamcube better support then just one game like Square. I don't think the Nintendo fanboys have the power like they think. So I doubt Sega is worried about "screwing" over Nintendo as some people call it.

I doubt that more then 10 people would ever boycott a genuinely good game because of the company who made it, BUT like I said before, it Sega does appear to be making at least a stupid business decision by throwing so much support behind the Xbox. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they know what they are doing, but their entire history kind of discouts that theory.

On a side note, even though most Sega games don't sell for shit on Xbox, don't their sports games sell better on Xbox then on PS2 or am I misinformed?

TheGreenGiant said:
oh god. IAWTP. I don't understand why people were cross at ports for any reason other than that ports divert resources for new stuff. But this is SEGA and their new stuff is very ordinary at best.

I Agree with THE GREEN GIANT??!! Well almost, I think bringing Monkeyball 1&2 to PS2 and X-box is good. It helps to show off the Franchise to people who have never played Monkey Ball before. It also keeps the brand recognition alive till Monkey Ball 3 is released. I do think Monkey Ball 3 is going to be on all the systems. Now if Sega releases another Sonic Adventure 1 agian..that would be stupid. Sonic doesn't need any help with his brand recognition. One other point, I think Sega still makes good games.

Shoryuken

bionic77 said:
On a side note, even though most Sega games don't sell for shit on Xbox, don't their sports games sell better on Xbox then on PS2 or am I misinformed?

Their sports games sell slightly better on the PS2.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mr_Furious said:
Any TRUE Sega fan has all 3 systems. The rest of you are all bitter posers :p

Any true Sega fan knows which games of theirs to actively avoid like the plague, thankyouverymuch. :p

FightyF

Banned
M3wThr33 said:

Justin Bailey said:
haha, well I'd rather have Billy Hatcher than some ol' hockey game. And I'm an "older, mature" person, so chew on that.

Damn straight.

This goes to prove my point. You'd rather have some kiddy arcade action, compared to a die-hard simulation. I can't blame anyone claiming that the Nintendo userbase isn't as mature as the others.

Don't blame SEGA, blame yourselves!

DavidDayton said:
I'm just saying that most folks aren't all that fond of hockey games... so I really didn't see how it was so impossible to imagine someone "denying" themself the game. Hockey is still a bit of a niche sports game, after all... I don't think it makes or breaks any platform to have it missing. Thus, I was rather amazed to see you seemingly making it such an important title when it came to choosing a system.

It's one of many examples. I made it an important title because it's an AAA sports game, that GC owners can't play.

Let's replace that with...say, an AAA racing game like Burnout 3.

Don't blame EA, blame... *c'mon, say it with me!* YOURSELVES!

etiolate

Banned
Shinobi dude

If you are seeing this as a Nintendo vs Sega issue you are missing the point. It's a Sega creating bad pub with an audience by giving other consoles extra content suddenly. It's a Sega making another good original content into a cheap port. It's a Sega shooting themselves in the foot issue. Sega's history of pissing off their own fans has decreased their userbase over time, why is it such a controversial issue to say they are now doing it to other fans?

word

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Fight for Freeform said:
This goes to prove my point. You'd rather have some kiddy arcade action, compared to a die-hard simulation. I can't blame anyone claiming that the Nintendo userbase isn't as mature as the others.

Don't blame EA, blame... *c'mon, say it with me!* YOURSELVES!
We're supposed to blame ourselves for Sega not putting Monkey Ball DX on the GC when that's the console that supported the franchise?

Anyway, I just thought it was funny that we "deserve" Billy Hatcher like it's some POS, when it is a very solid game (and fun to boot!). I know this is something people like you just don't get, but some people actually have different tastes. Like say, they may like a platformer more than a hockey game, no matter what the presentation is like.

enjoy bell woods said:
I think the problem a lot of people here have is that they don't really understand what it's like to run a multimillion-dollar corporation.
I think the problem is Sega needs new leadership. The company is slowly slipping.

GIR

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Don't blame SEGA, blame yourselves!
Wow, so much animosity in this thread directed at Nintendo fans, WTF did we ever do? Dared to make the choice of buying a console that didn’t have a Sony or MS logo emblazoned on it? And for this choice we must be punished by arrogant third parties that think I'm going to buy a second and third console just to play their games, PIGS ARSE!!! listen up I'm the consumer and third parties you should be my bitch not the other way around. Here is a console that I own, if you want my money make some damn games for it, it's as simple as that.

Top Bottom