• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the Best looking NES game anyway...

ljubomir

Felix the Cat rarely gets a mention. It has colorful graphics and really smooth gameplay.

41f220_3c138f10dec746ec9e269c10c9bab273.png

Felix-the-Cat-U-8.png

Felix-the-Cat-USA_135_256x224.png

857666_2.png

hqdefault.jpg

635130-felix-the-cat-nes-screenshot-game-over.png

dogen

It's not about the composition quality.

The VRC7 allows 6 channel FM synthesis audio. It is like literally having something similar to the Mega Drive sound chip on the cart. It's actually essentially the same as the Mark III FM unit, except that the Famicom's normal sound chip (already quite a bit superior to the Mark III/Master System sound chip) is also used at the same time.

The VRC7 chip is really limited compared to the one in the genesis.

lazygecko

Pretty sure VRC7 is 2op. That means you have 2 sine waves per channel to interact with eachother. Genesis has 4 per channel, enabling both more advanced timbres and more sub-voices per channel depending on how they are connected.

2op is enough for smooth simple sounds like soft brass, electric piano, basic mallet/bell etc which is mostly what you hear in Lagrange Point. When the same kind of 2op instruments are used on Genesis they are often layered in a double 2op setup on the same channel for a wider chorus/unison sound.

dogen

Pretty sure VRC7 is 2op. That means you have 2 sine waves per channel to interact with eachother. Genesis has 4 per channel, enabling both more advanced timbres and more sub-voices per channel depending on how they are connected.

2op is enough for smooth simple sounds like soft brass, electric piano, basic mallet/bell etc which is mostly what you hear in Lagrange Point. When the same kind of 2op instruments are used on Genesis they are often layered in a double 2op setup on the same channel for a wider chorus/unison sound.

Yeah, it was 2 op, and you could only use 1 custom patch at a time. It had iirc 15 built in ones though.

D.Lo

The pc88 had the YM2203 and YM2608.
Well, certain post-Famicom revisions (not the base mind you, which had no sound chip) of a vastly more expensive home computer platform had some very expensive FM chips. Not really an example of a game system, I was genuinely curious if there was an actual game system that did. Sega's use of FM in their 8-bit game system was actually identical to Larange Point.

I can't understand the extreme defensiveness against people making any comparisons between very impressive Fami/NES games and Mega Drive games. That poster's point was just that it literally had an FM chip on the cart and as a result produced audio better than the actual results in many Mega Drive games. The poster did not say 'that sounds better than every single Mega Drive game'.

Interesting info, so that's also the difference between the Mark III FM/MSX2 FM etc chips and Mega Drive. System 16 and CPS-1 had a better chip again right?

D.Lo

Always loved the way Castlevania 3 looked...
Castlevania_III-Dracula%2527s_Curse_%2528NES%2529_235_J.gif

But yeah, Batman ROTJ blows it out of the water.
CV3 is weird, it looks kind of good, but very 'NES'. It shows the colour limitations pretty badly. Like compare it to a 'similar' (ripoff) game on Master System, Master of Darkness, and it looks kind of bad and like it is showing the NES limitations.

But Batman 2, Kirby, Gimmick etc, they manage to look more like they could have been Master System or better.

dogen

Seriously I cannot understand the extreme defensiveness against people making any comparisons between very impressive Fami/NES games and Mega Drive games. That poster's point was just that it literally had an FM chip on the cart and as a result produced audio better than the actual results in many Mega Drive games. The poster did not say 'that sounds better than every single Mega Drive game'.

All I said was "not quite" to someone else who said it was literally sega genesis quality.

Interesting info, so that's also the difference between the Mark III FM/MSX2 FM etc chips and Mega Drive. System 16 and CPS-1 had a better chip again right?

Those also had 8 channels of FM plus dedicated pcm chips. They also didn't have the instrument limitation of the vrc/msx2/markIII one.

lazygecko

There's no chip in game hardware that uses more than 4 per channel (Yamaha DX7 and other fully fledged synthesizers have 6) if that's what you mean. The arcade chips have more raw channels though: 8 compared to 6, alongside the dedicated PCM channels.

Then there's the 2151 used in the Sharp 68k. At a casual glance it seems virtually identical to the Genesis 2612. There's one major difference in that it supports noise LFO for further modulation tricks. It's insanely useful for programming FM drums and percussion which is often where the FM chips falter.

On the topic of NES audio chips in general, I don't actually care for most of them. Or at least the way they are typically used. There's something about the draconian 3 tone limitation of the stock 2A03 which informs the songwriting/arrangement in a unique way. People leaned more towards counterpoint style compositions to convey harmonic "fullnes" which is a large part of what made the music stand out. Once you add more voices into the equation, people relied more on typical modern rhythm sections with several waveforms playing basic chords for harmony, and that doesn't sound nearly as exciting to me. Probably the same reason I don't care much for PCE music.

D.Lo

All I said was "not quite" to someone else who said it was literally sega genesis quality.
Fair enough, I'm confusing your posts in this thread with the Mega Drive special chips one too I think.

Those also had 8 channels of FM plus dedicated pcm chips. They also didn't have the instrument limitation of the vrc/msx2/markIII one.
RE PCM, Mega Drive had the Master System sound hardware on board too though, isn't that similar?

On the topic of NES audio chips in general, I don't actually care for most of them. Or at least the way they are typically used. There's something about the draconian 3 tone limitation of the stock 2A03 which informs the songwriting/arrangement in a unique way. People leaned more towards counterpoint style compositions to convey harmonic "fullnes" which is a large part of what made the music stand out. Once you add more voices into the equation, people relied more on typical modern rhythm sections with several waveforms playing basic chords for harmony, and that doesn't sound nearly as exciting to me. Probably the same reason I don't care much for PCE music.
Famicom disk extra audio works for me, but most others I can pass on.

Another issue is the volume difference of expansion audio between original and AV Famicom.

Nah, the master system uses a PSG, like the NES, PCM means sampled audio.
Despite technically graduating school, it turns out I cannot read ;)

dogen

Fair enough, I'm confusing your posts in this thread with the Mega Drive special chips one too I think.

RE PCM, Mega Drive had the Master System sound hardware on board too though, isn't that similar?

Nah, the master system uses a PSG, like the NES, PCM means sampled audio.

I can't understand the extreme defensiveness against people making any comparisons between very impressive Fami/NES games and Mega Drive games. That poster's point was just that it literally had an FM chip on the cart and as a result produced audio better than the actual results in many Mega Drive games. The poster did not say 'that sounds better than every single Mega Drive game'.

Yeah, I might have answered a little harsh. But that criticism swings both ways, the MD sound is often based on peoples opinion after playing some sports game with "robot farts" as they love to call it and comparing it with some of the best SNES sounding games like DKC.

OnPoint

CV3 is weird, it looks kind of good, but very 'NES'. It shows the colour limitations pretty badly. Like compare it to a 'similar' (ripoff) game on Master System, Master of Darkness, and it looks kind of bad and like it is showing the NES limitations.

You really think so? I'm not disagreeing that CVIII looks like an NES title, but I think it has way better art direction and use of color compared to something like Master of Darkness, especially in the screen you chose. I think that makes it look much better in the comparison.

nkarafo

Batman Return of the Joker almost looks like a rough 16 bit game. Has huge sprites, lots of animations on screen and parallax scrolling.

lazygecko

You really think so? I'm not disagreeing that CVIII looks like an NES title, but I think it has way better art direction and use of color compared to something like Master of Darkness, especially in the screen you chose. I think that makes it look much better in the comparison.

I don't like the way CVIII looks either. It's kind of hard to quantify/describe, but there's just something about how the tiles that make up the environment often look like a jumbled mess without forming a cohesive whole in the way they do it for the better looking NES titles. It's like the art direction was still firmly in the school of early to mid 80s where each individual tile was created mostly to just work on their own.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn man, this game looks really great, never even heard of it. Will have to check it out.

Yeah it's sadly a bit overlooked. If they'd gotten the Terminator license more people would've heard of this awesome game. It has *the* best soundtrack on the NES too, definitely worth to check it out

nkarafo

I thought it was very clear he was being sarcastic, especially with the first shot being SNES and the next GBA, just like in his examples :p
I thought it could be sarcasm but you never know these days.

Just to be safe (although i was also beaten it seems, lol).

I don't like the way CVIII looks either. It's kind of hard to quantify/describe, but there's just something about how the tiles that make up the environment often look like a jumbled mess without forming a cohesive whole in the way they do it for the better looking NES titles. It's like the art direction was still firmly in the school of early to mid 80s where each individual tile was created mostly to just work on their own.

I actually agree with you and don't think it objectively looks 'good' but I think they really nailed the decrepit look like few games have. Then again, CVIII ranks as one of my favorite games of all time so eh.

MTC100

Banned
Batman Return of the Joker almost looks like a rough 16 bit game. Has huge sprites, lots of animations on screen and parallax scrolling.

It had flickering when there was too much going on though, never was unplayable because of it though. It surely pushed the NES to its limits.

For the 3rd anniversary of Gotta Protectors, Ancient released a homebrew NES game called Amazon's Running Diet. It's free to download at their site below.
http://www.ancient.co.jp/~game/mamotte_knight2/

I played it on my RGB modded AV Famicom and I must say, this is probably the most impressive NES game from an audiovisual standpoint I've ever played. Check it out if you can stomach the art style.

haha I remember this thread. I'm more interested in seeing the best looking SNES titles sans enhancement chips now. I feel like the NES had a pretty hard limit even with tricks in art style and such

Peltz

I've looked through this entire thread and if your definition of "best" means "the most highly-advanced graphics," I don't see how anything could possibly top Batman: Return of the Joker. Nothing else comes close. I remember playing it as a 11- or 12-year-old and it was just a constant state of wow. Every new scene was breathtaking, and the characters were huge and detailed, compared to other games.

If your definition of "best" is more like "most aesthetically-pleasing" then I can see why many are mentioning Kirby's Adventure. The entire presentation is charming and extremely well-done. Definitely on another level compared to many other games.

But really, just about every game in here looks great.

I've actually never heard of this one. This shot alone does not look all that impressive, so I'm assuming that there must be a whole lot more to this game. Are there any other screens/GIFs out there?
Gimmick-boss.gif

Gimmick-5.gif

tumblr_obhu3aGwAU1s9677oo1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nlz6r2gisk1r2gkqp.gif

Gimmick-6.gif

tumblr_nn7zadWx4X1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Gimmick-star-jump.gif

Gimmick-8.gif

Gimmick-FinalStage.gif

Gimmick-2.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond that post since it's been bumped.

Looking back, I know I posted Recca and Joy Mecha Fight, but I do think Kirby's Adventure takes the crown.

For the 3rd anniversary of Gotta Protectors, Ancient released a homebrew NES game called Amazon's Running Diet. It's free to download at their site below.
http://www.ancient.co.jp/~game/mamotte_knight2/

I played it on my RGB modded AV Famicom and I must say, this is probably the most impressive NES game from an audiovisual standpoint I've ever played. Check it out if you can stomach the art style.
you're telling me that this game, this game runs on Famicom spec?!

Holy crap.

daTRUballin

Gimmick-boss.gif

Gimmick-5.gif

tumblr_obhu3aGwAU1s9677oo1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nlz6r2gisk1r2gkqp.gif

Gimmick-6.gif

tumblr_nn7zadWx4X1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Gimmick-star-jump.gif

Gimmick-8.gif

Gimmick-FinalStage.gif

Gimmick-2.gif

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond that post since it's been bumped.

Looking back, I know I posted Recca and Joy Mecha Fight, but I do think Kirby's Adventure takes the crown.

This game looks really interesting. Is it any good?

daTRUballin

In my opinion it's one of the better platformers on the NES. In every way; gameplay, level design, graphics, music. It's just great.

Hmm. Don't think I've ever heard of it. Maybe I'll check out some YouTube gameplay later on or something.

Top Bottom