• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first video game?

Overside

Banned
Polybius_9234.jpg

Miguel81

Metroid for the NES circa 1988. Have become emotionally attached to the series ever since. Brinstar and Kraid's Lair tunes are forever imprinted in my mind.

Oneself

Pole Position 2, Atari 7800 NA bundle. That's the 1st game I played.
That with Pitfall & Enduro a couple minutes later.

Oh and Mouse Trap.

theRizzle

I can't say for sure but the first game I have any memory of is AD&D (Cloudy Mountain) for Intellivision. The sounds the snakes made used to scare the shit out of me.

CloudyMoutain4.gif

Sonic 2. Came bundled with my Mega Drive.

Or The Incredible Machine. My grandparents had it on their old computer, not sure what came first though.

bjork

I really want to say Dodge 'Em on 2600, but the first one to hook me was Pac-Man. First game I owned was E.T.

I was born 3 days before the 2600 came out, so there's a lot of 2600 in my early days.

Shifty1897

BATMAN on NES. Played it at my babysitter's house when I was 4 years old.

What proceeded was a childhood obsessed with platformers, teenage years where I preferred JRPG's, college years spent playing first and third person shooters, and now... I play anything that feels fresh and new. So mostly indie games.

peace

Neo Member
It would have either been on the Atari wooden-effect or speccy 48k, probably that game on the Atari where you have to shoot with your cannon the objects that scrolled past at the top of the screen.

Rezae

I remember a lot of Frogs & Flies on the Atari 2600, along with a horrible Pac-Man port, and a serviceable Frogger. I also remember thinking that Adventure didn't seem like much of an Adventure. Thank God Nintendo came along when it did.

d1rtn4p

Something on the Commodore VIC-20. I remember my dad had one. There was a game called Clowns that I used to play on it. As far as memory serves, it was my first time gaming. My first serious entry into gaming was when my grandparents got me an NES in 86.

Jumplion

If we don't count super obscure gameboy games involving Tom and Jerry for some reason, my first game was Ray-Man for the PS1. Never beat it, though.

n0razi

it was either some old school DOS game like Gorillas for BASIC or some old arcade game at the skating rink like Pacman/Asteroids... those came out before Atari 2600 right (my first console)?

azyless

I think it was Super Mario Land on the Game Boy but I'm not completely sure, it's the first that I remember anyway.

jett

D-Member
I have memories of playing my mom's Pong system.

I believe Commando was the first C64 game I played, although I believe I used some sort of computer at my preschool, may have been an Apple II or a C64 or C128.

I'm pretty sure Super Mario Bros 3 was the first NES game I played, at a friend's house, but I'm not entirely sure.

AngryMoth

I used to think it was super mario bros deluxe for gameboy which was a nice but then I remebered some of the PC games I played when I was really young. So it's either, The Adventures of Hyperman, The Animals of Farthing Wood or Cyberia. Not sure which

First game that I remembered playing was probably The Manhole (<3 Cyan Worlds) although my family owned an NES, I don't remember playing it :(.

One the earliest games that I saw being played was probably DinoPark Tycoon (I still remember that stupid Vegasaurus lol)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Tooth Invaders for the C64. It was a piece of shit, but I'm glad it all started with a very bad game, helped shaping my tastes

Either Super Mario Bros. or a volleyball game for NES. Cant recall the name though.

Was the volleyball game Super Spike V'Ball? My friend had it plus a multi-tap, so much fun playing with four players. I came across a copy a few years ago an occasionally fire it up, a really fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unbaUXyVymA

I'm dating myself, but the first video game I remember playing was Asteroid on the Atari 2600.

I think Asteroids may have been my first game as well, but in my case I remember playing it on a table-top arcade machine. I also remember playing the Popeye arcade game as well from around the same time, so it could have been my first game also.
Yeah, I'm old...

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9090

The Atari 2600 version was pretty graphically inferior to the arcade edition.

Muffdraul

Simon Says on the original Magnavox Odyssey. I was 3 yrs old. I played it a couple times with my mom, but mainly I remember watching my older sisters play with it. According to them our dad decided he didn't want it in the house and got rid of it after about a month. A few years later I saw Pong in a pizza parlor or something and thought "Didn't we used to have this on our TV?"

It's hard to point at one game, because I had peripheral and momentary experiences with many before I sat down one-on-one with enough capability of playing a game with little help. I was born in the early 90's. I liked the characters of Mario and Sonic from the cartoon adaptions and merchandise from that era, before even getting my hands on the games. My parents would walk me through arcades. My first cemented memory of being around a console was watching my god brother play Sega Genesis. He played a lot of fighters with the family that were his age (tweens/early teens). I was shown Sonic upon request. I didn't do much more than observe, but I was mesmerized.

My god brother's parents gave me his NES when I was about 4 with dozens of classic games (his parents didn't want him hoarding a collection of old hardware and software, and my parents would have the same feeling with my games until I was mostly paying for my own entertainment). I was given almost all the iconic first party stuff and lots of good third party titles. I popped in a Super Mario Bros game first, iirc. Even though the SNES/Genesis/Gameboy were the hardware of the time, I so appreciate my introduction to Nintendo now.

Doran902

around 94 / 95 my mom bought me a second hand sega genesis with sonic the hedgehog 2

freaking loved it, 6 year old me couldnt get enough

The first game i've ever played was Super Mario Bros. on my cousin's NES.

However, my first games were The Legend of Zelda and Bubble Bobble that my dad bought along the NES for Xmas. So there's no real first.

The old table-top asteroids you used to find at Pizza Hut was a close one thereafter.

There's a retro arcade bar in my city and they have one of those. I love the vector graphics :D It's so sad when I see people using it as just a regular table. I want to shove them off.

And my first game: I don't know if I actually played it that day but my first memory in my entire life was sitting on my dad's knee while he played Congo Bongo on C64 with an ugly green Zeneth monitor. I didn't know C64 was in color until I was an adult! I must have been 3 or 4 at the time.

drkzr01

Neo Member
My first videogame was Mario Kart 64, i remember how i dislike finishing on 4th place, because when the ceremony begins you went a way than a bomb follows you and explodes.

Ah Good Memories.

PreFire

My mom got me an NES with Super Mario/Duck Hunt with a zapper light gun in red orange mid 80s

Before that I played classic portable games, if that counts. Game and watch, tiger, etc

electronic-the-terminator-2k1j-800.jpg

GHG

If memory serves me correctly:

word_rescue.jpg

I was 5 years old and then went on to play:

Maths rescue
Jill of the jungle
Crystal caves
Commander keen
Microprose Formula One GP
Lombard RAC Rally
Duke Nukem