• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first video game?

petran79

Banned
watching Dragon's Lair walkthrough on the American TV show 'Thats incredible' around the mid-80s.

At that time I also tried Galaga or Space Invaders in an arcade cab.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in America).

A colourful platformer, great music, vibrant colours, cute characters, tons of levels with each zone having a very distinct style with it's own enemies, and it had co-op.

purdobol

IHYFlXABojNYc9uFM0Pj5NJTYTAheYbIOKROEqtVuG0_9w-y18QIUBlprYLpVd-10mw=h310
This handheld ruled.

Speaking of one game toys: http://youtu.be/_PpPaqvMiqo
playmate-turbo-dashboard-2-183x300.jpg

Want to hear a traumatizing story? My first game ever was battle toads^^ I loved the idea of "playing a cartoon" and two player co op was icing on the cake for me. It would be years later that I found out that I was not bad at it because it was my first game, but rather because it was just reaaaaaaly hard and almost no one beat it^^ I did memorize and beat the bikes on level 3 though, but never made it past the elevator (level 11 I think?).

Stormus

Unless you got gaming later in life, how can anyone really say with any confidence what the first game they actually ever played was? I'm not even confident which console I played first. It is between NES or Sega Genesis.

Carn82

First game I played: Probably something called Castle on an XT computer
First 'computer' I owned myself: A C64 with tape and diskdrive. I remember playing Spyhunter a lot, no clue if that was the first thing I ever played on the C64, I had a lot of games
First consolegame I played: Mario on the NES
First console I bought myself: A Megadrive with Sonic 2.

Fury451

Banned
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

I can say it with confidence because I remember I played it with my dad. We also played a flight game called Falcon.

It's very likely that there was some kid game I played before this, but my earliest memory of gaming is playing through The Secret of Monkey Island with my dad when I was 5. Specifically, a demo of the game that came in a box of floppys, before buying the full game and then playing pretty much all the other early 90s Lucasarts point 'n clicks over the next few years.

therapist

mario 1 and a nes for xmas.

I was 4

I was really upset because i wanted a train set.

Then my bro hooked it up and ya , ive been hooked to gaming since haha

Chuckie

This was my first one:

Missile_Command_flyer.jpg

missileCommand2600Screen.jpg

My first ever game was River Raid by the amazing Carol Shaw. I still have the cart and heavy sixer I was baptized by.

River_Raid_cover.jpg

This was my second game! I have always played this with pink water and blue land. I found out a week ago I have always played with incorrect color settings!

I had that too. Back then I thought it had awesome graphics compared to other atarti games haha.

inki

250full.jpg

My parents had an Atari 2600 the year I was born. I remember playing this game but only as a vague image. I was probably around 4 y/o. I remember playing ET when it came out (because I remember going to the theater for the movie) but I know I played things before that.

I watched my Mom single man pitfall before too. We had it because of her, My dad doesn't play video games. :) My mom is 70 now and she still loves playing Video Games more than watching TV.

My first video game was the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt combo game. Many hours were spent holding the zapper against the tv for easy duck kills

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
One of the earliest memories I have is of playing River Raid, on the Atari 5200, in either 1983 or 1984. Would have been two or three years old at the time.

maertin

Neo Member
It was either the very first Prince of Persia, or Tetris on the original GameBoy.

But none of these two sold me to gaming. The one game that made me fall in love with games was Super Mario Land on GameBoy. At the same time GODS on PC.
DaxxTRS+front1.jpg

Meneses

Can't remember which one, but it was on a ZX Spectrum at my cousin's house, I must have been around 4 or 5.

It was probably Ms. Pacman, Pole Position or Manic Miner, those are the earliest ones I remember.

Aesnath

Duck hunt--I was at my sister's house around age 5-6 and her husband had recently purchased an NES with SMB/Duck hunt. He asked if I'd like to play and I declined. He showed me the zapper and I was on board. After failing miserably, but really enjoying myself, he suggested we play another game. I asked if it used the gun; he said no, but that it was better. I scoffed at that notion...I was wrong, SMB really started it all.

MaDKaT

I cant remember what specifically was my first game. Dad had an Atari 2600. I remember lots of Pong, pac man, Missle Command, space invaders and pit fall. Granted my favorite game on the system was Combat (tanks) and playing with my brother.

Sojiro

The very first game I remember playing was Kung Fu on the NES, at a friends house. Later that year, for Christmas my mom got me an NES with Super Mario Bros. for the first game I owned.

trillbo

Astro Wars, which was basically Super Galaxian repackaged into this awesome tabletop:
Astro%20Wars%20Grandstand%20Video%20Game.jpg

And pretty soon after that Chop Suey on the Atari 65xe
hqdefault.jpg

Eblo

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. To this day I have every stage and special stage layout memorized. It was a bit of a shock when I tried to play the previous game and couldn't spindash. I still hate the special stages, though.

watchdog

It may have been some educational game at school in our computer lab. But I think it probably was Super Mario Bros. on NES.

Accoun

The oldest I actually remember was probably Virtua Cop and The House Of The Dead. There might have been something earlier, though.

First game I owned, I remember well on the other hand - it was Gruntz by Monolith (the western one).

SerTapTap

I think it was Sonic 2 in an arcade cabinet of some sort in a preschool sort of thing. First I owned were Donkey Kong Country 1 and Yoshi's Island. I played Yoshi's Island first. It's pretty good

Woffls

I knew my first system was an Amstrad CPC 6128 that dad had lying around, but I didn't know until we spoke about it the other day that the first game he had me play on it was called Meltdown.

What I'm now not sure of is if that's the first game I ever played, or if I played something else at a friend's house and that's what prompted my dad to find the Amstrad in the loft. Only place I played games at the time was a friend's who had an NES, but beyond that I would just assume Super Mario Bros.

_h8bit

Banned
My first video game I really remember playing was The Hive for Windows 95 with a joystick and everything. I was 5 and it was an on-rails shooter that my dad and I spent lots of time bonding over.

Other early games that stick out are Kung Fu for NES and Metroid II on a beat up Game Boy my dad got from some guy at work.

Super Mario world. I used to play it with my sisters when I was around 4 or 5, I also remember getting dkc 2 and super Mario all stars for my 7th birthday.

I think it was Galaga in a hotel lobby in israel when I was 5. Maybe it was a Galaga clone though.
I remember that I tried to carefully aim my shots and then hit the fire button once every 3 seconds or so instead of shooting as fast I could.

My first owned game was Tetris on the Game Boy when I was 8.
My 14 year older brother had a Fairchild Channel F gaming console and a C64 with tape deck that he never introduced me to until I was 11 I think; I should ask him why not earlier when next time I see him.

Some random PC stuff when I was very young.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and Duke Nukem are the ones I can remember.

Cosmo01.png

DukeNukem_Screenshot1.jpg

Man, when I was a kid I had those on a sharewere compilation of games.
Is it me or those VGA's games have a weird and sad atmosphere?
They make me feel very sad and don't know why. Can't explain that, maybe it's VGA's colors fault, I don't know
For the record, I was the most loved and happy kid. No traumatic experience here.

Top Bottom