• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first video game?

Marv_79

Neo Member
Pac-Man Atari 2600, it was my Dads, I reckon I must've been about 4, I still remember playing it to this day - It was like Magic.

Galileo

Neo Member
bowandarrow.png

Apparently it's called "Bow and Arrow", I remember playing it on Windows 3.1

lordmrw

It was probably Atlantis Attacks, Combat or Pitfall on the Atari 2600. The videogame crash had just happened so my older brothers bought like 40 games dirt cheap. I'm leaning toward Combat since it was multiplayer and there were five of us.

Modedude

The Incredible Machine 3. Haven't played anything like it since, didn't really establish any trends in my gaming habits.

Mets9

Can't remember the very first one, it was a game from atari 2600. Probably one between moon patrol, pitfall or a game set in the jungle (can't remember the name).

bobone

Officially it was some type of centipede clone on a 5.5" floppy, along with other dos games of the time.

But the first one that really grabbed me and got me into gaming was Super Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire when my best friend got the system on Xmas 96

The first game I rememwbe playing that I owned was either Megaman X or Aladdin for the SNES, (my parents decided to wait to get me games). But I'm sure I played sometbing at a friends house, or one of those old portable systems before that.

Chuckpebble

First game I ever played was Snafu on Intellivision.

First game I bought was Tower of Terror on Intellivision. I think that was a roguelike. Is that possible if it predates Rogue?

First system I bought was an N64.

Marceles

game-watch-widescreen-parachute.jpg

Or something on my watch.

I wish I owned one of these as a kid. Thrifty's/Payless was a weird store at the time when I was a kid because they sold ice cream and had a pharmacy, but they also had an electronics section and had a Game & Watch under a glass case. I've always wanted it.

I couldn't tell you which arcade game it was, but the first system I got was an N64 and my first game was Banjo Kazooie followed by Super Mario 64. The memory of opening that up brings me back.

Griss

I might have been allowed to hold the pad for Super Mario or Duck Hunt, but the first one I was properly allowed to play was The Legend of Zelda (NES). I would have been 3/4.

I got an original Odyssey in 1974. I remember the one with the haunted house plastic overlay was my first game. I was 4 at the time.

My Dad said that I played a version of Space War before that. I have no memory of it.

Cynn

My first ever game was River Raid by the amazing Carol Shaw. I still have the cart and heavy sixer I was baptized by.

River_Raid_cover.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The first game I ever played was Technician Ted on my older brothers Amstrad (I think) I was 4 or 5 at the time but I still remember the music.

Podge293

The Illusion of Time (or Gaia if you're not EU).... was 5 at the time and it's still my all time favourite game.

Actually recently re-bought a SNES so I could play it

ChaosXVI

Mine was the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. I got it for Christmas in 1994 with a SNES but I was barely 4 years old and died almost immediately...thought the D-pad was one giant button. I also got Super Mario World with it, and those were the only 2 games I owned until Christmas 1995.

It feels good to reflect on how I eventually mastered all of those games by the time I was 5-6.

shandy706

I don't remember. It would have been something from the late '70s of my dads that I would have played in the early 80's among other things that had been released.

Ghosts & Goblins, arcade. My parents owned a nightclub/concert venue when I was growing up and while different machines rotated in and out over the years, my earliest gaming memory is my dad teaching me to play G&G. I was probably about 4, 1986 or so. A couple of years later, it was also my first NES game besides the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cart that came with the system. :)

woopWOOP

Some monochrome zoo animal (heads) counting game.

First one I actually had fun with was either Super Mario Bros or Megaman at my cousin's tho.

Akzel

As far as I remember it was on Atari 2600 because of my brother. For the specific game .. I dunno I was too young to remember.

Actually I'm not sure which one was the first but the games I remember playing very young are Pong, Donkey Kong and Pac Man on Colecovision, Atari 2600... (I was around 5-6 years old).

I went all crazy about Nes though which was the first video game system to really amaze me ^^ (I was 7 years old).

I played a lot of Prince of Persia and Karate too but it was on a sort of computer... I don't recall exactly. Amstrad something... and don't remember my age but definitely around the same time as Nes.

oddington

Banned
I can't say with much certainty as I was so young, but it was either the Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros. combo cartridge (it would've been SMB as I didn't have a Zapper for a long time) or Super Mario Bros. 3.

SMB3 is still one of the best platformers ever, too.

PooBone

I think it was Super Mario Brothers. We did end up getting an Atari after the fact but SMB was the first game I remember playing, and it was the first game I remember all the kids at my babysitter's house playing when they got an NES a few months later.

It was this:

Cruising1.jpg

Don't knock it the game is an even more addictive variation of Pac-Man. Still things got a lot better with game number 2:

Jetpac.gif

RARE at their best :D

I don't remember the exact one but it was definitely from a stack of NES games my sister had growing up.

I'm talking Super Mario 1-3, Duck Hunt, Castlevania, Mickey Mousecapades, JAWS, Bubble Bobble, and some others I can't think of right now. Had an old Nickelodeon shoebox filled from front to back with games. If anything, I'd have to say I spent the most time with Super Mario Bros. 3. To this day, it's still my favorite game ever.

Good times. :'(

Top Bottom