• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Curious to see which game generated the most hype for you over the years.

Also, did that game manage to live up to your lofty standards, or was it a disappointment.

For me, this was probably Mass Effect 3. ME2 was (and still remains) one of my favorite games ever, and I was so emotionally invested in the story that I couldn't wait to see how it ended.

In terms of execution, it was near-impossible for the game to live up to what I expected. This doesn't mean it was a disappointment by any means. Still some very heavy story moments and solid gameplay (in addition to a surprisingly addictive multiplayer). The initial ending controversy destroyed a lot of good will at first, but I believe I was being a bit too harsh on it looking back.

So what about you guys? When did you fall hard for the hype culture? And what were the results?

Beegeous

OoT.

I was 14 by Xmas 98, all my friends had N64s, we all read ONM and we were all frothing at the cock to get this game.

mrmickfran

Xenoblade X

In terms of exploration and gameplay? It definitely delivered

Story and music? Huge disappointment

Other games I was supremely hyped for include: Galaxy 2, Bayonetta 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. All of which are successors to some of my favorite games of all time.

Mass Effect 2 (Couldn't have been happier)

Mass Effect 3 (Massive failure....ugh)

Persona 5 (all signs point to quality)

Halo 2 (I only cared about multiplayer so once they added BR starts I was in love)

Zareka

It'll probably be Persona 5.

Otherwise? Halo Reach. It was releasing right in the middle of high school, and *everyone* I knew was talking about it constantly months leading up to the launch. I got the LE console and the Legendary edition for that game, we played all the betas, watched all the gameplay videos and trailers...I don't think I've ever been that excited for a game before.

Personally, it didn't disappoint. I poured insane amounts of time into it and loved every moment of it.

Vice-city-cover.jpg

FOB_pc.jpg

My childhood never felt so good when I played these two.

Roufianos

MGS4. It was the end of a story I'd loved since I was 5. I doubt I'll ever be hyped for another game like that again.

The triple whammy of PGR, JSRF, and Panzer Dragoon Orta announced for Xbox (and all turning out top quality) could not have been more perfect for this fan of MSR, JGR, and Panzer Dragoon series.

Epcott

The Retro Star Topics game that never happened which was instead DKR.

The triple whammy of PGR, JSRF, and Panzer Dragoon Orta announced for Xbox (and all turning out top quality) could not have been more perfect for this fan of MSR, JGR, and Panzer Dragoon series.

MS needs to team back up with Sega and bring this sort of goodness to XBO and Scorpio. Would kill for a new Panzer and JSR.

Metal Gear Solid 2? Shenmue 2? Virtue's Last Reward (Sequel to 999)? Mass Effect 2? Kind of hard to say between them, honestly. They all delivered for me.

Within recent times, Nier: Automata, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5 and Shenmue 3 are all pretty high up too. Shenmue 3 especially. It's been a decade. I ain't getting any younger but I have waited for this for so long.

World Series Baseball for the Sega Genesis.

The original Metal Gear Solid on PS1 even though it was a little bit of an unknown in how it would translate to 3D gaming.

Halo 2 and 3 probably fits better considering how much I loved Halo: CE and anticipated the follow-ups. Halo 3 especially due to the marketing and coming to a new generation/system in the 360.

dc89

MGS V.
Huge fan of the series and amazing trailers.
Kojima's swan song, his magnum opus. It wouldn't fail, it couldn't fail.

ghostjoke

Banned
Spyro the Dragon. I remember leaving specific instructions for Santa so that I would instantly know if I had gotten it for Christmas. Despite some lies from the playground about certain features, it lived up to the hype.

Syf

Banned
Doom 3 I'd say. Went a little crazy on that one. I did enjoy it but Doom 2016 was the one that ended up delivering.

Was easily Kingdom Hearts 2, and now a 3 way tie between KH3, Horizon 2, and TLOU 2.

But I doubt my hype for any game will ever reach what it was for KH2 like 2 years out from its release.

Top Bottom