• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJoRu

Mario or Marion, you decide. And this gender decision can follow you through all of NX's games, Link or Linkle, Samus or Sam, Fox or Foxy and whatever the fifth and final game they release is.

Kid Icarus NX. Choose between Pit and Pitty.

nikatapi

Even though i was excited to see what the NX is about at e3, i really don't care if the system launches during the holidays or in 2017. I really hope that this time the software planning is sufficient and effective, and the NX sees not only a strong launch, but a continued support as well.

Also, being released in 2017, i sincerely hope it is more powerful than the current consoles, and hopefully built on 14nm, otherwise it will again be an outdated rival by the time it arrives.

I still think that the handheld part of the NX family will be released holidays 2017, probably unveiled at e3 2017. The question is how well will the 3DS will be capable to hold up until then (probably a price drop is coming soon).

What I was interested in was that Nintendo said there will be strong software for the 3DS to March 2017. Now what happens to the 3DS when the NX is released? Will the NX be holding the ship up while the 3DS slides off and we wait on a new handheld later down the track?

N.Grim

About skipping holiday season, I still remember almost no games were released for WiiU six months after launch. Iwata said "please understand" in the January megaton direct because of this.

Honestly I dont want this to happen again.

And it wont sell at loss. That means they can drop the price soon if they dont sell well.

And only Zelda in E3... I wonder why there will be no other games there. Why are they not considering to show games like SMTxFE, Paper Mario, Metroid Federation Shit, and so on? Don't they even trust their quality? Not surprised of not being confident with that fake Metroid, but what about the others?

I still believe it's some kind of translation error, it doesn't make any sense to me

marmoka

Banned
Not sure why you want to talk about non-NX games in a NX thread.

It is not only Zelda in E3. It is only Zelda being playable at the showfloor.

Of course I'm talking about NX. I mean that it makes sense to delay NX launch till March, with different games released every month, better than having about 15 games on holiday season, and then nothing till late spring. It's good not to repeat Wii U mistakes again.

HoL, point 12 is about software rather than hardware, the question was about developing IP on both mobile and dedicated.
Still relevant as it implies NX won't revolve around a f2p concept :p

Tregard

Soothsayer
I wonder which developer will let the cat out of the bag before the grand unveiling. The longer they hold out on a reveal the more I think a dev with a low-res camera is going to beat them to the punch.

Somehow I missed the 'complete immersion' comment as the reason for Zelda U being the only playable game at E3.

Serious question... what the fuck does that even mean?!!! Are we getting a Zelda holodeck on the show floor?!!

There will be plenty of 3DS games to talk about at E3, so to have none of them playable means that this 'immersion' thing is serious business.

They're going to make E3 decorated probably like Hyrule with Zelda animatronics and Zelda interactions on the floor

I hope Paper Mario CS comes to NX instead of Wii U. The game looks so good and I don't want it to waste on the Wii U.

Luigiv

Somehow I missed the 'complete immersion' comment as the reason for Zelda U being the only playable game at E3.

Serious question... what the fuck does that even mean?!!! Are we getting a Zelda holodeck on the show floor?!!

There will be plenty of 3DS games to talk about at E3, so to have none of them playable means that this 'immersion' thing is serious business.

I have two hypotheses:

1. By having a fuck tonne of demo station to keep the lines manageable, the demo itself will be fairly long, allowing attendees to get a proper taste of the game's open world flow.

2. It's straight up marketing spin.

I'm leaning towards the latter, honestly.

I have two hypotheses:

1. By having a fuck tonne of demo station to keep the lines manageable, the demo itself will be fairly long, allowing attendees to get a proper taste of the game's open world flow.

They must be confident as fuck about Zelda if it's going to be their only game on the showfloor.

Imagine if it sucks...

I have two hypotheses:

Your first point seems more logical to me actually. I could see how minimizing lines could lead to a more 'immersive' experience, as there would be less distractions, especially if the demos were in private booths. However, I can't see this simply being marketing spin, because if marketing was the sole concern, then there would still be 3DS games that they would want to market on the show floor.

Whatever the reason, I'm 99% sure it's logistical in some way. It's the only factor that makes sense considering how many games Nintendo is purposefully choosing to not show on the floor.

They're going to make E3 decorated probably like Hyrule with Zelda animatronics and Zelda interactions on the floor

I hope Paper Mario CS comes to NX instead of Wii U. The game looks so good and I don't want it to waste on the Wii U.

Zelda puppets?! A man can dream...

...and home demos like last year?!

I think Nintendo knows what they're doing. They already know the second half of the year is dead for the Wii U. Only doing Zelda at E3 gets a great hype for that game alone. I'm sure they've spend a ton of money on it and they want it to sell like 7 mil or so.

So after E3 it's going to be completely dead for Wii U and they have nothing to talk about other than some 3DS games, but now they can announce "Nintendo NX reveal event will be in August or September" like maybe a month early to build some hype for fans to look forwarded to something in the fall + they will have all eyes on them.

Edit- What if they have a Zelda U demo for us? Maybe at E3 they'll announce a Zelda demo or maybe a really nice Zelda demo will come out this fall. I mean it's better than nothing and they never do Zelda demos. It would be some goodwill for having to wait for Zelda until March.

KingBroly

Banned

I think it means like that what they did at E3 2005 for Zelda. Except, you know, the entire thing.

The rumor was Beyond Good & Evil 2 was coming to NX in 2017. Now that the NX is releasing in 2017 this could be a launch title, if rumor is true. Kimishima made it pretty clear he wanted games and probably launch games.

LewieP

Dunno if BG&E2 going directly up against Zelda would be the smartest move. Might be better to put a bit of time between them both.

Dunno if BG&E2 going directly up against Zelda would be the smartest move. Might be better to put a bit of time between them both.

Would it really matter if it was a launch title? I would imagine folks would splurge for more than one game after buying a brand new system... Or maybe not.

javac

Would it really matter if it was a launch title? I would imagine folks would splurge for more than one game after buying a brand new system... Or maybe not.

After putting down the money for a system, people will only have so much money left to go towards launch titles and will probably prioritize per genre. Everyone knows NSMBU and DKCTF are totally different games but regardless people will look and say "both are sidescrollers, I'll go for Mario!" There's definitely merit to picking one over the other depending on what you're looking for (difficulty, multiplayer etc) but people also want to diversify in terms of genres.

Eradicate

Hologram Link that dances around!

(Or, probably a big dungeon thing!)

Google ads is hinting at something here.

giphy2.gif

Yeah, I can't figure it out, but it makes enough sense for me right now!

Also, Hero of Legend, I'm so glad that this thread can go back up! If anything comes up source wise that can be linked/imaged, I'll let you know! Related to the Koei Tecmo information, there was a bit more information you may or may not want to include from their actual financial statement related to NX:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202450663&postcount=53

The picture is flashier, but this is the related "wordage" from the paperwork to it all! The Google translation of it is odd, so maybe someone can do a better translation for you if desired!

Pif

Banned
I'm just annoyed that all the hardware rumours and whatnot was probably all bullshit.

"Insiders" going insane because they thought NX would be at E3.

I'm just annoyed that all the hardware rumours and whatnot was probably all bullshit.

Who knows

We dont have a REAL insider to tell us whether the decision was an old one or a new one

My best guess is that they did want something for 2016 and it fell through

Neoxon

Going by Trev's leak, a 2016 release was likely the original plan. We also have one insider who gave us intel on the CPU.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I am most pleased with the advent of this thread.

daakusedo

Bge2 is not taken for granted but not far.
It comes from an obvious faker and about destructoid having their own source, it's the same writer that reported on the first nx rumors from dual pixels about hdmi dongle and all and threw the same comment "For what it's worth, much of this info does line up with information I have heard from a separate source."
So confidence is not much high for me.

Seriously. At this point im just burnt out.
Exactly the same way I feel. Wake me up when something of substance is leaked and verified.

No one has anything interesting to say at this point. It's either retreading old stuff, or adamantly misreading what Kimishima has said because... reasons?
The rumors and leaks have little to no substance, and the rumor mongers keep losing credibility (I'm still not sure why the bulk of our rumors could only come from sources from within Nintendo, since that would be the least likely place to leak.).
People are using concept art to try and confirm console features.
Nintendo themselves have thrown a wet blanket on things.
And "wait for E3" has been taken off the table, so we don't know exactly when this ride ends anymore.

I feel like there's no point in paying attention to this stuff until the console is actually revealed, and then we can spend the months between then and launch speculating and getting hyped or something.
Yep, pretty much this. I'd go as far to say this has been the most boring round of console speculation in gaming history. Can't keep crying wolf all the time.

thefro

I'm planning on making a thread breaking down third-party support in a couple weeks (after we get earnings results for third parties and likely some other publishers confirming NX support).

We actually have a fair amount of information on that front, but I'd like to fill in some of the other gaps instead of just relying on "This company is still releasing Wii U/3DS titles". I'd like to end the "zero third party support" misunderstanding.

maxcriden

Excellent thread HoL, and so glad to see it, thank you!

Everyone should read this full quote in context. From the other thread, it seems like very few did.

He's not saying that they plan to fundamentally change their pricing strategy. Rather, the Japanese yen was particularly strong in 2012 and 2013, and that strength caused Nintendo to take a loss on Wii U sales (because when it sold Wii Us to Americans, it received fewer yen when it converted the US dollars it received). Since then, it has weakened considerably. Assuming the yen/dollar exchange rate remains around current levels, the NX shouldn't sell at a loss, but if the yen strengthens again, it may.

Thanks for the clarification. Does this give us any indication as to whether the system would be sold for a high or lower price?

And it wont sell at loss. That means they can drop the price soon if they dont sell well.

I don't understand how one necessarily leads to the other. Couldn't it be that NX wouldn't be sold at a loss at initial MSRP, but if they drop the price it then would be sold at a loss?

SMattera

Thanks for the clarification. Does this give us any indication as to whether the system would be sold for a high or lower price?

The Wii U was the first Nintendo system sold at a loss. It wasn't because Nintendo undertook some radical pricing strategy; rather, it was because when the Wii U made its debut, the yen was at its strongest point post-WW2.

If I'm a Japanese company, I pay my workers in yen and I buy my parts using yen (hypothetically). Say the Wii U cost 1500 yen to create and one dollar was worth 3 yen. That means Nintendo has to sell it in the US for $500 in order to breakeven. It takes the $500 it gets, goes to the Bank of Japan, and exchanges them for 1500 yen to pay its workers, buy more materials, etc. Suddenly, the exchange rate changes and one yen is now worth 2 dollars. Nintendo still collects $500 for every Wii U sold in the US, but when they go to convert it to yen, they're only getting 1000 yen. Their employee's salaries, raw materials, etc haven't change in price. Meaning that all of a sudden they're losing 500 yen on every sale even though the product hasn't fundamentally changed.

Kimishima is saying that the Wii U was sold at a loss because of the yen, not because Nintendo wanted to change its strategy. Because the yen is unlikely to strengthen so much by the time the NX launches, it won't be sold at a loss.

We have no idea of the relative power of the system from his comments, except to say that it seems likely to be in line with Nintendo's past history (which frankly has varied from the underpowered Wii to the relatively powerful Gamecube).

My guess would be $300 with PS4-level hardware.

Glad the threads up n running again,great job.I look forward to endless rumours and speculation sprinkled with actual facts.

Jackano

It means:
- They will have many, many demo stations;
- Giving they have all their rented showfloor for one game, it will even be too much to have 40 tiny lines for Zelda. So this will probably be high quality stations, like couch and 5.1 sound instead of your regular gamespot demo kiosk.

Eradicate

I'm planning on making a thread breaking down third-party support in a couple weeks (after we get earnings results for third parties and likely some other publishers confirming NX support).

We actually have a fair amount of information on that front, but I'd like to fill in some of the other gaps instead of just relying on "This company is still releasing Wii U/3DS titles". I'd like to end the "zero third party support" misunderstanding.

That's actually a really great idea thefro! I've got my eye on a bunch of different companies right now that should be doing releases in the next week or two. I'll try to PM you directly with what I find, though likely they will get threads anyways. (Though same may not...)

I agree! May not be the thread for it, but that explanation was great and should be near/beside the Kimishima quote! (Could maybe just link to the post in the text to keep brevity?)

As far as price, it's hard to say right now! I'm still wondering if that GlobalFoundries thing was true or not since it could impact price! There is a good deal of historical prices ranges to work with though in the meantime!

Regarding the yen, the projected USD to JPY for March 2017 looks like (according to here):

The forecast for beginning of March 106.54. Maximum rate 107.25, while minimum 103.05. Averaged rate for month 105.50. The exchange rate at the end 105.15, change for March -1.30%.

The Wii U released in the US in November 2012, when the rate was 1 USD = 82.4795 JPY.

...aaaand that's about the bulk of what I can contribute!

The Wii U was the first Nintendo system sold at a loss. It wasn't because Nintendo undertook some radical pricing strategy; rather, it was because when the Wii U made its debut, the yen was at its strongest point post-WW2.

If I'm a Japanese company, I pay my workers in yen and I buy my parts using yen (hypothetically). Say the Wii U cost 1500 yen to create and one dollar was worth 3 yen. That means Nintendo has to sell it in the US for $500 in order to breakeven. It takes the $500 it gets, goes to the Bank of Japan, and exchanges them for 1500 yen to pay its workers, buy more materials, etc. Suddenly, the exchange rate changes and one yen is now worth 2 dollars. Nintendo still collects $500 for every Wii U sold in the US, but when they go to convert it to yen, they're only getting 1000 yen. Their employee's salaries, raw materials, etc haven't change in price. Meaning that all of a sudden they're losing 500 yen on every sale even though the product hasn't fundamentally changed.

Kimishima is saying that the Wii U was sold at a loss because of the yen, not because Nintendo wanted to change its strategy. Because the yen is unlikely to strengthen so much by the time the NX launches, it won't be sold at a loss.

We have no idea of the relative power of the system from his comments, except to say that it seems likely to be in line with Nintendo's past history (which frankly has varied from the underpowered Wii to the relatively powerful Gamecube).

My guess would be $300 with PS4-level hardware.

There we go!!! Note that the yen was stronger then in 2012 than it is now relative to the dollar. (Sorry if you use a different currency!)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Thanks, subbed again. Although I'm not sure why. How many months until we get additional facts?

Kimishima is saying that the Wii U was sold at a loss because of the yen, not because Nintendo wanted to change its strategy.

This is all fine and dandy until you realise that the Wii U price has actually increased in Yen and not being reduced in dollars as the Yen exchange rate dropped (except for the one time $50 cut when the Yen was still strong).

SMattera

This is all fine and dandy until you realise that the Wii U price has actually increased in Yen and not being reduced in dollars as the Yen exchange rate dropped (except for the one time $50 cut when the Yen was still strong).

I believe the Wii U became profitable for them sometime in late 2013.

maxcriden

Realistically, I don't think this will happen. Maybe an eventual port but not an instead of. It's the only retail game as far as we know for H2 2016. So they can't really can it for Wii U, I think.

Glad to see this type of thread again!

I'd say to be a tad cautious about #s 7 and 8 in the OP, if only because Nintendo's statements have been... misleading before. The release in March could very well be a hardware related issue that they're presenting as getting their software ducks in a row, but we can't really know any of that for sure right now. The statement itself is definitely still a fact though.

Also has there been anyone who debunked LCGeek's CPU "leak?" I don't think it's something we can present as "what we know so far" but it seems like it's at least at a tier slightly below something we "know." The "leak" for those who don't know was that, at least at some point, the CPU in the NX was a certain amount of >>'s more powerful than that of the XB1. I'm sure those types of things can change before March but as of now is there anything that has debunked that leak?

I've been waiting for this topic. I hope this one doesn't get closed. We have a lot to talk about when it comes to the NX.

From Kimishimas latest statements I feel confident in saying the NX console controller will not have a screen in it.

I'm curious where you get that from. It's my understanding that a screen controller would not be nearly as expensive to manufacture in 2016/2017 than it was in 2011/2012, and based on the compatibility of Zelda, and (rumors of) Splatoon and Mario Maker, I would assume a screen would be included in some capacity.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, subbed again. Although I'm not sure why. How many months until we get additional facts?
I'm expecting additional information about NX to be made available prior to or during Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Rösti;202522855 said:
I'm expecting additional information about NX to be made available prior to or during Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016.

Additional info being that it won't be present at Gamescom.
almost joking

Rösti;202522855 said:
I'm like 1000% on board with this after this last investors meeting. I even thought of this in my head lol. Kimishima seems like the guy that will straight up reveal these things to investors first, then everybody else can reveal.

The great news is this investors meeting to that meeting is a much shorter distance than the last investors meeting to the one they just had lol. I hope he says "we will unveil NX" late July or August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom