• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eradicate

Mistwalker? Please be The Last Story 2!

I know, right?! That would be great!

Silicon Studio developed the Bravely games on the 3DS. They've developed a few other games of note in their past as well for mobile and other platforms (such as 3D Dot Game Heroes).

But, their middleware is fairly extensive and interesting. Bloodborne used some of their products for its game engine. More interesting/important, Square Enix has a likening with their products using it in Final Fantasy XV and at least going back to Gunslinger Stratos. But, it does make up portions of their Luminous Studio Engine. Coupled with publishing their Bravely games, some good things could be cooking up since Silicon Studio said they will be doing Nintendo NX things.

Speaking of which, here is the quote from the slide:

PlayStationVRやNintendo NXなど新規ハードウェアも今後登場

With the Google translation:

Also appeared in the future new hardware such as PlayStationVR and Nintendo NX

I figure they mean "will appear" or "also appearing" on the Nintendo NX and PlayStation VR, but that's what needs checked.

But, to me, it seems either they'll be having their middleware for use for Nintendo NX, or they have something in mind for development on there.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Do we know if it come with a regular Controller and not a gimmick style controller like there last two console?

There's a gimmick, but we don't know what the gimmick is, if the gimmick is a controller, or even if NX is a console.

Another golden nugget about another company working on middleware (possible game?) for the NX. I'd love for it to get translated (from Japanese) to see if it says what I think it says!

(My apologies if this is old, but I haven't seen it anywhere searching around.)

Silicon Studio had their 2015 fiscal year earning presentation listed that (I think) NX development presents a growth opportunity for them. Mistwalker and Silicon Studio are working on something together (that news came out in late February) and I've got no idea if this is related. (It could be for anything.) This presentation was given on January 26, but again, I haven't seen anything about it so ignore if old!

Here is the actual slide:

DXWNgWT.png

Found here: http://contents.xj-storage.jp/xcontents/AS02681/ab2e7e91/8985/431a/89dd/78322da2f7c0/140120160125495112.pdf

(Translations are welcome!)

Have they ever done anything for 3DS? If not, I think we can use this to but the idea that NX isn't at least up to current-gen to rest.

Also, it seems like only Japanese companies are mentioning NX. It's looking more and more like western third-parties don't even plan to try this time. I'm also shock that nobody has asked Activision about Infinite Warfare on NX yet.

thefro

Have they ever done anything for 3DS? If not, I think we can use this to but the idea that NX isn't at least up to current-gen to rest.

Bravely Default/Bravely Second

Also, it seems like only Japanese companies are mentioning NX. It's looking more and more like western third-parties don't even plan to try this time. I'm also shock that nobody has asked Activision about Infinite Warfare on NX yet.

NX's launch isn't in Activision's fiscal year now (it's Q1 2017).

EA was asked about NX last year and mentioned it. We also know Nintendo met with 3rd party partners at E3 2015 at those partners had a positive reaction to what Nintendo told them about NX. I would suspect Fortune's sources would be from US-based companies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Bravely Default/Bravely Second

EA was asked about NX last year and mentioned it. We also know Nintendo met with 3rd party partners at E3 2015 at those partners had a positive reaction to what Nintendo told them about NX. I would suspect Fortune's sources would be from US-based companies.

Damn, I guess that it's "still up in the air" then. I just want to put it to rest so we can have slightly more focused speculation.

Eradicate

thefro already answered it. But, what's interesting is that they lumped PSVR and NX together. The preceding sentence about PS4 (this sentence Google translates worse than the NX one!) makes it seem they may not be interested necessarily? (Help!) Plus, their fancy middleware is for both the current gen systems, so it should at a minimum match that I believe. But, I'm just piecing things together and can't honestly tell otherwise. I am excited by the possibilities though!

Also, I've got a bunch of other international developers and things I want to look into as well...I bet there are a few more things that can be found! It does seem at the moment mostly Japanese and indie developers are saying anything about support, but...

There is some Western support...at least interest! It'd be great to know if this is still the case though! I hope they show off NX behind closed doors again!

After just seeing the trailer I can't wait to play Battlefield 1 on NX.
I have no damn clue if this should be sarcastic or not.

It means everything all at once!

Hilarion

Would you welcome information that no western studios are working on multiplats for NX?

I'd be fine with it as long as the third parties I care about (Bandai-Namco, Sega, Square-Enix, Capcom, Platinum, Koei-Temco...) are on board. Ubisoft, EA, etc. don't make anything I play.

Nintendo has great relations with Capcom, Namco, Platinum, Sega, and Koei these days, and Square has been hinting positive things.

With all the talk between NX console and potable sharing games, what's to stop Nintendo from having PC like settings for their games to be cross platform compatible? PC games have high, medium, and low settings where you can tweak it to fit your hardware. What's the prevent Nintendo from doing the same? Obviously you won't need to tweak it. It would be hard coded into the game so if it detects you're playing on handheld, then the resolutions and settings will automatically be set for the handheld. If it was consoles, it'll automatically boost the settings to match the console specs.

Sorry I've not been updating the OP, I've been a bit under the weather. :(

Anyone able to round-up anything I've missed? I recall the Macronix stuff and the new bit about Silicon Studio. Do we have an official translation of the former yet? I know a user earlier did a translation (thanks!), but I was wondering if we have an official one yet. :)

Anything else aside from those two?

LewieP

Would someone with more insight to the technical side of this be able to provide insight into how much Nintendo's participation with Vulkan will make it easier for engines already using Vulkan to do NX ports?

This would include EA's Frostbite, and many others.

With all the talk between NX console and potable sharing games, what's to stop Nintendo from having PC like settings for their games to be cross platform compatible? PC games have high, medium, and low settings where you can tweak it to fit your hardware. What's the prevent Nintendo from doing the same? Obviously you won't need to tweak it. It would be hard coded into the game so if it detects you're playing on handheld, then the resolutions and settings will automatically be set for the handheld. If it was consoles, it'll automatically boost the settings to match the console specs.

Nothing would stop them from pursuing that avenue and personally I believe if they're going with the partially/mostly shared library then they will have an OS level scaling technique similar to the way done with PC.

The main problem with that is if they force third parties to make multiple graphics levels of assets, which some likely wouldn't be bothered to do. If they do have a shared library they definitely should not mandate that all third party games have to run on both/every system.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Would someone with more insight to the technical side of this be able to provide insight into how much Nintendo's participation with Vulkan will make it easier for engines already using Vulkan to do NX ports?

This would include EA's Frostbite, and many others.

That's not really easy to answer, especially without knowing the CPU architecture and how many changes Nintendo made to its version of Vulkan. In theory, it should be comparable to porting DirectX games between Xbone and Windows PC, but since NX is like 90% certain to be ARM at this point it would be a little more complex than that.

The main problem with that is if they force third parties to make multiple graphics levels of assets, which some likely wouldn't be bothered to do. If they do have a shared library they definitely should not mandate that all third party games have to run on both/every system.

But 3rd parties already do this for PC.

Depends on the third party in question. It's completely fine to release a PC game that has a single bunch of assets and only allows resolution manipulation, and it's also not an unknown thing to not release a game on PC. The companies that do otherwise just happen to not be traditional Nintendo supporters.

MDave

'Nintendo NX' sounds pretty good.

I wish they did name their consoles with 'Nintendo' inserted into the name again.

Only the Virtual Boy and Wii consoles have omitted it from the name of the consoles, right?

MacTag

Banned
Silicon Studio is a good catch. I sort of wonder if they'll bring their FFIX port to consoles?

'Nintendo NX' sounds pretty good.

I wish they did name their consoles with 'Nintendo' inserted into the name again.

Only the Virtual Boy and Wii consoles have omitted it from the name of the consoles, right?
The Game Boy series also didn't have Nintendo in the name. Or the Family Computer and Super Famicom technically.

MDave

Silicon Studio is a good catch. I sort of wonder if they'll bring their FFIX port to consoles?

The Game Boy series also didn't have Nintendo in the name. Or the Family Computer and Super Famicom technically.

Ah yes, all the Game Boys after the original one omitted Nintendo out of it. I was looking at my original DMG Game Boy when I wrote that, where its written in the blue right next to the 'Game Boy' name.

MuchoMalo

Banned

PC games sell. On top of this, the handheld can't be lore than about as powerful as Wii U, and most PC games don't scale down that far at all, even accounting for resolution. It also means needing to optimize for another platform, which is expensive and time-consuming when there are already essentially 4-5 SKUs to worry about before even considering NX at all.

What i don't get is that they want their end their wiiu production, in 2018. But at the same time they are saying that nx would not be an wiiu replacement.

The key word is "just".

They don't want NX to be "just" their WiiU and 3DS replacement. It's aiming to replace those systems and then some (whatever that means).

PC games sell. On top of this, the handheld can't be lore than about as powerful as Wii U, and most PC games don't scale down that far at all, even accounting for resolution. It also means needing to optimize for another platform, which is expensive and time-consuming when there are already essentially 4-5 SKUs to worry about before even considering NX at all.

On top of that, there are fewer and fewer third party ports on PC which are optimized decently, and that's because A) PC ports don't sell as well as console ports and because B) devs do have to build the port with a wide range of possible graphics/processing settings. Those two reasons would also exist on a Nintendo console.

MuchoMalo

Banned
On top of that, there are fewer and fewer third party ports on PC which are optimized decently, and that's because A) PC ports don't sell as well as console ports and because B) devs do have to build the port with a wide range of possible graphics/processing settings. Those two reasons would also exist on a Nintendo console.

Yep, but since there would be no way to brute-force it, Nintendo would just miss the games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This is very minor, but worth a mention. I have previously written about Soul and Vibe Interactive's intentions to pursue development and publishing licensing for NX, as they reported most recently in a 10-K filing dated January 02, 2016:

Our existing hardware platform licenses are with Microsoft (for the Xbox 360, Windows 8, Windows Live, and Windows Phone), with Sony (for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita), and with Nintendo of America for the Nintendo 3DS™ system and the Wii U™ system. (The Company also intends to pursue development and publishing licensing for Nintendo’s forthcoming console, codenamed “NX,” which is rumored to launch in 2016.) Our publishing licenses with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo require that we obtain approval for publication of new titles on a title-by-title basis. As a result, the number of titles we are able to publish for these hardware platforms and our ability to time the release of titles is dependent upon decisions made by third party hardware manufacturers.
Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1515115/000114420416092295/R8.htm

Considering NX is now scheduled for a release in March 2017, I asked them about their intentions as of now. This is what they replied with:

Rösti said:
@SoulandVibe With #Nintendo #NX releasing in March 2017, do you still intend to pursue development and publishing licensing for the system?

Soul and Vibe said:
@RostiNeoGAF We're currently licensees of Nintendo for the 3DS & Wii U; we do plan to ultimately publish product for the forthcoming NX.
Source: https://twitter.com/RostiNeoGAF/status/729301103217627136

Peterc

Have been to a conference about NX

not everything was revealed, but the majority of the info was made available to retailers, as it has a March 17 launch worldwide.

Obviously, NDA has been signed so all I can really say is it certainly would appear to be a better entry than the Wii U, but nothing I saw convinced me Nintendo is back as a player in the market.

More details will no doubt leak soon as various employees from certain retailers let stuff slip.

Be cautiously excited as a Nintendo fan, but don't get your hopes up for SNES style dominance.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189706-nintendo-nx/73705868

What do you think about this guy? Bull. or are you convinced?

What do you think about this guy? Bull. or are you convinced?
Anyone who says the majority of info was given to retailers, is chock full of BS. Why would Nintendo give any information whatsoever to retailers an entire year in advance? Retailers only need to know like a month before launch to make plans, maybe 4 months inadvance if they are going to be holding live in-store demos before launch.

Meesh

Is there a "thirst is real pie chart"? There should be, I may be drunk, but not since snes have I been this intense for a Nintendo release.

especensor

Neo Member
I just really hope they don't botch the name. We're all now used to the name Wii but it's still a stupid name and I can't believe they brought it back for the Wii U.

The thing is "NX" is becoming to be used by everyone, from gamers to journalists, including third parties and even Nintendo themselves. IMO they should keep the name, it already has recognition.

especensor

Neo Member
The Revolution was an awesome name that was widely used by everyone too until they officially announced the console as Wii. The internet reaction at the time was hilarious.

cordy

Banned
I was listening to a podcast from Gary Vee, an entrepreneur, the other day and the guy even brought up the NX. I'm hearing a lot of people talk about this thing. Man, if Nintendo can capitalize it can be huge.

The thing is "NX" is becoming to be used by everyone, from gamers to journalists, including third parties and even Nintendo themselves. IMO they should keep the name, it already has recognition.

This is not a unique situation, so there's no reason to believe they'll choose to continue with "NX".

They haven't with Ultra/Project Reality, Dolphin, Revolution, and neither have their competitors.

Personally, I'd love a continuation of the Super NES naming convention - Ultra NES, Hyper NES, etc - I'd buy that day one just to have the box with that name on it.

This happens everytime and it's a silly reason. There is huge branding/marketing implications behind a name and settling on a codename because the industry and a few hardcore gamers following the trends know it as NX is a horrible reason to stick with it. The name has zero presence in the real market. That will 100% change when Nintendo starts spending hundreds of millions of dollars to let the 95% of people who don't know what the fuck an NX is, that it exists.

The Wii name isn't stupid. It makes perfect sense.

Yup. The Wii name and the software brand that they developed around it was lightning in a bottle.

The Wii u being an extension of that system both architecturally and support wise gave at least some sense as to why they wanted to stick with it. The actual U however, and the similar looking machine and far too much emphasis on the controller confused the fuck out of the market as was a huge clusterfuck. A simple 2 would have solved so goddamn much.

dtm808

Part of the reason you don't want to keep a code-name as the final name of the console is information/confusion. If Nintendo keeps the name NX, when people search it on the internet they will find a ton of articles before the official reveal and that info will most likely be inaccurate. If you reveal the real name closer to launch, you have a much easier time getting the correct info about your system out there and it wont get mixed in with the crap.

Nightbird

Yup. The Wii name and the software brand that they developed around it was lightning in a bottle.

The Wii u being an extension of that system both architecturally and support wise gave at least some sense as to why they wanted to stick with it. The actual U however, and the similar looking machine and far too much emphasis on the controller confused the fuck out of the market as was a huge clusterfuck. A simple 2 would have solved so goddamn much.

Yep.

The Problem the Wii U had was that it came after several other products called Wii__ . Combine this with the marketings heavy emphasis on the Gamepad instead of yelling that a new Generation of Nintendo was upon us, like you pointed out, made many believe that it was an add on in the vein of the Wii Fit Balance Board.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you plan things in a bubble.

While we talk about console names - Wii Name Reveal Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97127

What the holy fuck?

Please tell me you don't pronounce that "wee"?

Hol fuck. I thought this was a joke.

It is actually called Wii?? WTF

Everyone email the major publications and tell them to laugh their asses off at the E3 conference!

Oh man Nintendo must change it. Wii is just too weird.

just like to Say GOOD LUCK to NOA & NOE marketing team! :lol :lol

I definitely will never speak about this in public.

I'll bet everyone will just refer to it as "the new nintendo." I can't see anyone using the name "Wii" seriously.

I plan to call it the iBork.

This is will just make it funnier if The Wii somehow manages to outsell the xbox 360 and Ps3 :D

General consensus - the name isnt just bad, its a disaster.

Someone needs to get sacked. Nice logo, nice brand, nice idea, bad choice for product name.

It would have made a nice marketing campaign too.

OMG...

Wii??? WTF???

You know, I thought that nothing would beat the controller as far as a WTF, but this takes the cake.

What the hell marketing was smoking when they made this? If they wanted something more simple then Revolution(because god knows how complicated that is), they could have went with freakin RES (Revolutionary Entertainment System). Grant it, that sounds stupid as well, but not as stupid as fucking Wii and at least it still has Revolution (a kick ass name and one that fits perfectly with the title) in it.

You know what, maybe this would have been okay if it was named Wii in the first place. But come on! You don't give a kickass name to something only to give it a name that will be forsaken for the rest of your life.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Anyone who says the majority of info was given to retailers, is chock full of BS. Why would Nintendo give any information whatsoever to retailers an entire year in advance? Retailers only need to know like a month before launch to make plans, maybe 4 months inadvance if they are going to be holding live in-store demos before launch.

Gamestop seems to have been told something already, and there was a retailer meeting for PS4k that was posted about here. Sadly, it could be probably legit. :/ Definitely saying weaker than PS4 now.

thefro

Should get some news this week as there's a ton of third party publishers reporting fiscal results.

Some of those companies are on the same fiscal year schedule as Nintendo (i.e. they're releasing their projections for the new fiscal year which would include the NX launch in Q1 2017), so they definitely could mention NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom