• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were the best graphical games at E3 2017?

pixelation

God of War looks better than all other games that were shown (running on an amateur PS4 no less!), although Spidey is a close second.

MaddenNFL64

Anthem by far.

Shock and Awe from Anthem Demo

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Mario Odyssey for me. I just love the less is more design Nintendo games have. No clutter, but what's there looks great and is very well animated. And MO has some really pretty visual effects like water and fire.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Spider-man looks ridiculous, especially when you consider the size of the game world. Winner for me with GoW in second place.

Cuphead, Ori and The Last Night win in the artstyle department

MaddenNFL64

Yeah, it won't look like that plus I even got fake vibes from this. However, this engine also gave us BF1 and Battlefront 1 & 2, who knows.

The game was running at 4k using checkerboard rendering, and had obvious pop in on ground textures. DF was sure the demo was running on an Xbox One X. If they were bullshitting, they would've just used a PC to showcase the game, and cranked it to 11.

Mario Odyssey for me. I just love the less is more design Nintendo games have. No clutter, but what's there looks really good and is very well animated. And MO has some really pretty visual effects like water and fire.

Polished, I like that too. And...also important, the game will be glorious. The older I get the less realistic graphics do it for me.Art direction is more important to me personally nowadays.

My topspot: The Last Night

Other great looking games: Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, Tunic, Yoshi, Kirby, and to name a more realistic game Spider-man ( physics look great )

Bydobob

THE CREW 2: Griffin's Hands-On Impressions & GAMEPLAY! — Polygon @ E3 2017

I was very surprised with The Crew 2. Signed up for the Beta immediately after.

Me too. I could hardly believe my eyes after the very plain first game. Surprised this hasn't caused more of a splash.

Talking of water, I'm a sucker for the waves in Sea of Thieves. Have we ever seen a better representation of the sea? The lighting in Hunt also looks incredible, and then it's a pick 'em between Metro Exodus, Battlefront 2 and Anthem in terms of overall visuals.

Mario Odyssey looks the most delicious of all though.

From a technical standpoint, God of War was the clear winner. Which is pretty embarassing considering XboneX is supposed to be more powerful than the Pro, yet GoW trailer was on vanilla PS4. And then you could also argue it was one of the best from an artistic standpoint as well.

The Evil Within 2 also looked damn good too, especially in terms of art direction. Anthem looked great from a technical perspective and fairly good artistic direction.

How is God if War a clear winner over Anthem? Anthem to me looked next fucking gen it was insane.

KKRT00

How is God if War a clear winner over Anthem? Anthem to me looked next fucking gen it was insane.

Its clearly not, at least objectively. Objectively GoW was actually the least technical showcase from Sony's big games, but it also runs at higher framerate than other titles.

RdN

Sea of Thieves water looked out of this world.

But overall, I'd say Destiny 2 on PC. Lookef good and crazy smooth.

Shredderi

It's Anthem. God of War and Spiderman both look phenomenal but they also look like what I expected them to look by now. Anthem though came out of the left field in how good it looked. It almost looked next-gen with the scale it has going on. I think it is the clear winner in this department.

For me:

Anthem=Spiderman=GoW

However, I am not convinced by Anthem...I mean I expect it to look great, but that looked like as much a vertical slice as the original WDs reveal. Spiderman being actual gameplay impressed me more.

lome88

Anthem was pretty great to look at, but I'm really hesitant to buy anything with Frostbite tacked onto it at this point that isn't Battlefield or Battlefront. Mass Effect Andromeda was great to look at, but some of the behind-the-scenes drama from that game squarely falls on the use of the Frostbite engine and it's gotten me a little gun shy.

120v

Metro and Anthem could pass for next gen but i'm not believing for a second the games will look and run like that

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Honestly, Sea of Thieves' water was the technical achievement that has blown me away the most.
That shit is insane.

Zakalwe

Banned
God Of War, Anthem, and Spiderman all stood out as technically impressive in terms of cutting edge graphics.

Mario and MArio + Rabbids looked beautiful for their artstyle and presentation.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
GOW running on an actual OG PS4 and looking like that hahah how.
Spidey looking sexy as hell.
The Metro PC demo.
Anthem vertical slice.

The best is yet to come.

Fredrik

Metro Exodus and Anthem looked quite a bit better than anything else. Not sure how much was target renders though? I mean I don't get how Bioware can make Mass Effect Andromeda and also make something like Anthem, even if they're different teams they should share lots of tech and that didn't seem to be the case. Awesome trailers for both games anyway!
I also like The Crew 2, it looked amazing!

1. Marvel's Spider-Man
2. God of War
3. Dragon Ball FighterZ
4. Anthem
5. Metro: Exodus

Only reasons I wouldn't put Anthem higher are because

1. There wasn't much going on in that demo, looked more like a tech-demo
2. The art style was very lacking
3. I don't trust Bioware.

Best wishes.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Metro Exodus and Anthem looked quite a bit better than anything else. Not sure how much was target renders though? I mean I don't get how Bioware can make Mass Effect Andromeda and also make something like Anthem, even if they're different teams they should share lots of tech and that didn't seem to be the case. Awesome trailers for both games anyway!
I also like The Crew 2, it looked amazing!
There's a very lengthy article explaining how the two teams actually don't share tech as much as they should. Metro Exodus was a straight in-engine target render. The team that made DA:I had way more success with the modification of FB than the team that made ME:A. Genuinely tech wise all the things going on in that Anthem demo were above everything else. Also forgot to mention Crytek's The Hunt:Showdown. There's a video of it on gamersyde.

rashbeep

Banned
Anthem was the only thing there that had me in disbelief. Would be very surprised if the final build looks like that.

Spidey was a very close runner up.

Top Bottom