• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were the best graphical games at E3 2017?

There's a very lengthy article explaining how the two teams actually don't share tech as much as they should. Metro Exodus was a straight in-engine target render. The team that made DA:I had way more success with the modification of FB than the team that made ME:A. Genuinely tech wise all the things going on in that Anthem demo were above everything else. Also forgot to mention Crytek's The Hunt:Showdown. There's a video of it on gamersyde.

Can you give specifics?

rashbeep

Banned
I also think a nice runner up status could go to Kingdom Come Deliverence... now only if the mouthing and lip sync were actually finished :/

Fantastic environments, asset materials, and global illumination though.

Definitely has the most photorealistic forests I've seen ingame

Tyaren

pbmUgxM.gif

qvWn4By.gif

Ploid 3.0

THE CREW 2: Griffin's Hands-On Impressions & GAMEPLAY! — Polygon @ E3 2017

I was very surprised with The Crew 2. Signed up for the Beta immediately after.

Oh boy, my dream game version 2. I'm drooling here. I didn't even know there were demos for this game out. I'm so glad they are making a new one, the first one was a blast. CarPG with loot, it blew my mind, open world (my favorite type of game), and racing (another of my favorite type of game). I lost myself in The Crew in a very good way.

TaurezAG

Technical achievement:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Lighting
Sea of Thieves - Water

Atmosphere:
Hunt: Showdown by Crytek
Metro Exodus

Artsy:

The Last Night
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Presentation:
Spiderman

Xumbrega

Banned
Eh, Anthem and it's not even a contest.

Then Metro Exodus, then you have Forza Motorsport 7, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Spiderman, God of War and Sea of Thieves.

Art style Cuphead is still king tho, but Last Night comes as a close second.

How is God if War a clear winner over Anthem? Anthem to me looked next fucking gen it was insane.

For me anyways, the animation. Everything in Anthem looked so stiff, where in GOW it all looked so fluid and lifelike. And again, the fact that GOW was running on base PS4 vs XboneX... For it to even be close is a testament to the skill of SSM.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hmmm, I thought Spiderman was great looking initially but it became amazing when I viewed some gifs and members here pointed out Spiderman's expressions changing dynamically depending on the situation. Those aforementioned things coupled with the detail, animations, sheer size of the world, the world's density and geometry, lighting and shadowing, it was a great showpiece. I think God of War definitely looked better though, but that's to be expected considering it's a more linear experience. I guess I'd best liken it to Uncharted 4, a linear game with explorable, wide levels. Anthem impressed me in its size but largely due to the depths and heights you can explore. Days Gone rounds out my final four. It's actually my most anticipated game because it looks among the previously mentioned games and will likely be larger and features a more dynamic and interwoven world with emergent gameplay.

Tldr
1. God Of War
2. Spiderman
3. Anthem
4. Days Gone

Spider-Man hands down.

Anthem really didn't impress me that much, but I also didn't like Avatar and the cross up between Destiny and Avatar just seems silly to me. It wasn't ugly or anything, it's just not my kind of game aesthetically.

KKRT00

Thought I'd let you know, the latest God of War trailer was captured from the base PS4 version.

So? U4, Battlefront or Horizon on base PS4 have few tech that are absent in GoW trailer.

----
Anthem and Metro.

I'm not convinced the former won't be downgraded.

After analyzing the trailer few times, i'm pretty sure that it will be upgraded, at least on PC. Like shadow rendering, LoD pop-up, smaller enemies bodies wont disappear as fast, fixes to dynamic caustics they added to Frostbite etc.

Have you guys even noticed that Anthem has fully deformable terrain from BF series? Which also destroys all vegetation of course thats on deformed terrain of course.

Fbh

Anthem looked crazy. To the point I still have my doubts it was actually gameplay.

Spiderman and God of War also look amazing. Spiderman in particular looks pretty much perfect, aside from super high resolution I just don't see how it could look any better with current game tech.

conpfreak

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle character models and animation looks amazing. IQ is off the charts too.

Anthem looks like a step above what we've seen from this generation.

The Evil Within 2 lighting looked outstanding.

Other than that, I feel like everything shown has already been matched by other already released games.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Anthem is like this year's The Division. Probably won't reach what's on display when it actually reaches players but will still be great looking none-the-less.

So? U4, Battlefront or Horizon on base PS4 have few tech that are absent in GoW trailer.

----

After analyzing the trailer few times, i'm pretty sure that it will be upgraded, at least on PC. Like shadow rendering, LoD pop-up, smaller enemies bodies wont disappear as fast, fixes to dynamic caustics they added to Frostbite etc.

Have you guys even noticed that Anthem has fully deformable terrain from BF series? Which also destroys all vegetation of course thats on deformed terrain of course.

God of War looks better than all of those games on PS4.

I'm gonna go with The Last Night, Anthem and Metro. Really amazing looking games. Most likely day one!

Did you watch the Sony conference?

KKRT00

Just because it looks better for you, doesnt mean it is technically better.
It lacks SSR, foliage is not 3D or even cast shadows, ground textures and geometry is worse then in many other titles etc.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Last Day of June is a looker:

Ingame cutscenes doesnt really count imo. The actual game looks much rougher, while still impressive, looks nowhere near those screenshots
I'm not worried about Battlefront 2 because there are Battlefront 1 PC shots on this forum that look even better than those screens.

Did you watch the Sony conference?
Just because they didn't list any games from the Sony conference doesn't mean they didn't watch it

I'm in the same boat really, other then Horizon dlc nothing at Sony altogether impressed me as much as forza, the last night, anthem and metro

The best graphically, not artistically, has to objectively be Anthem. (Though I think it excels in the artistic area as well)

It was the only thing that made my jaw literally drop in unbelief and awe. Crossing all phalanges it doesn't see a downgrade at least for PC.

Others that held up well would be,

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Metro Exodus
Battlefront 2

In that order.

Everything else looked pretty on par with what I would expect.

How anyone can say God of War was the best is bottling my mind a little right now though... I don't even think it would be in the top 5.

For me anyways, the animation. Everything in Anthem looked so stiff, where in GOW it all looked so fluid and lifelike.

...?

You talking about Skatose?

BEcKMZG.gif

I expected him to do a triple Salchow to be honest.

Don't even get me started on the foliage.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of art direction it's great and I love it... but it doesn't look like a heavy graphical hitter to me at all. Especially compared to the others I listed above.

Just because it looks better for you, doesnt mean it is technically better.
It lacks SSR, foliage is not 3D or even cast shadows, ground textures and geometry is worse then in many other titles etc.

Exactly. It's weird because I usually don't notice those things right off the bat but they really stuck out to me here.

Yeah, this looks really good. Every time they make a new DBZ game I think man this looks just like the show. This time it looks better.

This thread has a severe lack of gifs..

I don't like the snow being a perfect V. Tomb Raider does this with tessellation turned on and it's distracting.

I don't think God of War will be touched anytime soon.

God of War looks great, but it's incrementally better looking than UC4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider if at all. I will play it on my OG PS4 and it will look great so I'm happy for that.

rashbeep

Banned
God of War looks great, but it's incrementally better looking than UC4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider if at all. I will play it on my OG PS4 and it will look great so I'm happy for that.

That gif above reminds me a lot of GoW4. But yea, I also see it as a slight upgrade to those titles.

pixelation

Holy hell kill it with fire!!!, and i repeat... what's so great about Anthem? (stupid ass name BTW) it looks like a current gen Crysis and it has a terrible art style. I don't get why some are saying that it looks "next gen"... how?

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

black070

There's quite a few this year to be honest but I'll narrow it down to:

- God of War
- Spider-Man
- Anthem
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Ori and the Will of the Wisp
- Metro: Exodus

KKRT00

Holy hell kill it with fire!!!, and i repeat... what's so great about Anthem? (stupid ass name BTW) it looks like a current gen Crysis and it has a terrible art style. I don't get why some are saying that it looks "next gen"... how?

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Frezee frame footage on 4k videos and check surrounding for environment details and textures. Combine it will scale and frostbite high quality post-processing, vfx and physics. Lighting is also exceptional for being fully real-time.
http://gamersyde.com/game_videos_2168_en.html

How anyone can say God of War was the best is bottling my mind a little right now though... I don't even think it would be in the top 5.

...?

You talking about Skatose?

BEcKMZG.gif

I expected him to do a triple Salchow to be honest.

Don't even get me started on the foliage.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of art direction it's great and I love it... but it doesn't look like a heavy graphical hitter to me at all. Especially compared to the others I listed above.

Exactly. It's weird because I usually don't notice those things right off the bat but they really stuck out to me here.

I had to Google this and then I looked at the GIF again and lol yeah..., but what you going to do. The Arkham games gave Batman ice skates as well, but I still love em.

Top Bottom