• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what year do you expect the world to come together as one nation

This is a weird argument. 500 years ago we didn't have nations, now we do. That's not moving towards a unitary state, it's moving away from one. There's now an ideological pressure pushing for a diversity of states as opposed to only an institutional and logistic one.

We didn't have nations because what vwe had was far more nebulous

Cocaloch

It will be because of multiple technologies that we're able to do this. Why wouldn't this be worth perusing?

I could think of a number of arguments against a single state. Competition keeping states honest is an obvious one.

We didn't have nations because what vwe had was far more nebulous

We had states that generally, there are exceptions, weren't supported by ideology. Again that doesn't seem to be making a single state more likely. It seems to give inertia to the currently existing states. Concepts of the nation make states more not less stable.

I could think of a number of arguments against a single state. Competition keeping states honest is an obvious one.

We're in a post scarcity society. Which I've already established (although in a separate post). Competition at this point, unless it's in good spirit for motivation, is a detriment and not a boon.

WaterAstro

lX9WRV4.gif

Cocaloch

We're in a post scarcity society. Which I've already established. Competition at this point, unless it's in good spirit for motivation, is a detriment and not a boon.

Post-scarcity doesn't mean the state will act well, I'm not sure how you got there. Economic competition isn't the only sort of competition. Without countervailing external interests a variety of problems could arise in the state. One could argue that these would be outweighed by the good, or that we can prevent this through structure means, but that's still going to be an argument. I don't think we could take it for granted that this would be a good thing.

Cocaloch

Let's not forget our entire concept of the state comes from some Italians who were deathly afraid of German/Imperial influence in their states.

Kaizer

Banned
If we all destroy one another & leave nothing behind, technically we would all be brought together as one. Other than that, it ain't happening.

Post-scarcity doesn't mean the state will act well, I'm not sure how you got there. Economic competition isn't the only sort of competition. Without countervailing external interests a variety of problems could arise in the state. One could argue that these would be outweighed by the good, or that we can prevent this through structure means, but that's still going to be an argument. I don't think we could take it for granted that this would be a good thing.

Wars have a profit motive, at least quite often. Borders also have a profit motive, although it's probably not effective at accomplishing it's goal. There's lots of things that act as wedges between us that only exist because of scarcity. In any case I'm not saying it's one thing that will bring about this unification of the human race. It will be many thing, including medical advances and such.

Can you give me an example of a problem that could arise?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When the Federation takes off and everyone just gets their free stuff from the machine that makes free stuff.

On the 8th day of Knife, under a gibbous moon, the cold streets steaming with the blood of my enemies and in my arms a heaving pile of still-beating hearts torn hot from their pathetic fleshy cages.

Morts

We'd have to be at war with alienbs or human colonists on another planet.

Or God would literally half to manifest physically and introduce himself to everyone on Earth individually.

you know when will all the countries forsake their differences and finally become one nation on planet earth

bonus question: what might finally make this happen an alien invasion or Zero Requiem

I think the bible mentions a single government operated by an Anti-Christ.
I'm not sure if this constitutes as one nation since in the end he or she will target Israel.

There are several things that will have to happen first,
One world currency - a sorta bit coin like currency I suppose?

Something called the mark of the beast

and the obvious true resurrection of a certain human who will be killed.

120v

aliens, meteor, the singularity.... or some such

either humanity won't make it that far or this generation will be loooong gone. we're just too steeped in derp

We don't need perfect consensus for us to act as one species of earthlings rather than a bunch of smaller tribes under that banner. In fact ... I hope we never have perfect consensus. How do we grow if we never question?

It will be because of multiple technologies that we're able to do this. Why wouldn't this be worth perusing?

Lots of ethical problems really. Does "unifying the world" constitute just colonialization of the the entire world under one banner? Would unifying the world essentially be brainwashing or forcibly coercing people into unification? Would such unity even provide a better quality of life? Is unity worth sacrificing personal and cultural freedom?

Not that I'm not down with some world unity, but as with most things, unity created by fallible humans will have problems. It's not necessarily a cure all for human suffering.

As Ian Malcom warned, we gotta wonder about whether we should, not just whether we could.

Melon Husk

When we have something to unite against. I'm not making bets on cultural evolution.
We're in a post scarcity society. Which I've already established (although in a separate post). Competition at this point, unless it's in good spirit for motivation, is a detriment and not a boon.

Post scarcity what? Energy? Information? Resources?

KahooTs

Within a thousand years probably. But does when really matter when it is both inevitable and won't happen in our lifetime?

Cocaloch

Wars have a profit motive, at least quite often.

Sure, I'm an economic historian that looks at state building and political-economy so I;m not about to disagree with you there.

Borders also have a profit motive, although it's probably not effective at accomplishing it's goal.

Kinda sorta. Why does England end at the Tweed? If you want an example involving extant sovereign states, why is Schleswig-Holstein part of Germany not Denmark? This is a bit ironic because you're coming off as a pretty strong Marxist here, and I kinda doubt that's your position based on other things I've read.

There's lots of things that act as wedges between us that only exist because of scarcity.

Of course, I would never disagree. I wasn't saying that scarcity isn't an issue, I'm just saying there are forces that can drive conflict.

Can you give me an example of a problem that could arise?

I can think of a huge number. Think of corruption in the state. Think of trying to enforce ideological conformity especially in regards to political-philosophy. Think of if America was able to become the only state and continued to enact racist policies.

Again not all issues are material and ideology, pace vular Marxism, doesn't always simply derive from material circumstance.

External pressures have often tended to either alleviate a number of these problems, provide alternative models for development, or provide a space for dissidents to work towards reform.

Within a thousand years probably. But does when really matter when it is both inevitable and won't happen in our lifetime?

It's not inevitable. Nothing is inevitable, and I'm not seeing any forces currently at work that make it seem incredibly likely.

Again this is the worst sort of whiggery.

Ishan

I can see it happening within 200-500 years . The move towards mega cities becoming congregation centers is already in full swing .

But I see cities acting as sort of states etc . Also any alien invasion can def lead to emboldening of un and much more increased powers/cooperation

Cocaloch

Lots of ethical problems really. Does "unifying the world" constitute just colonialization of the the entire world under one banner? Would unifying the world essentially be brainwashing or forcibly coercing people into unification?

With such an open ended question it's not about how it would happen, it's about ways it could happen. Theses are some ways, and the ways I think look the most likely. There are presumably others. You're right though, these possibilities are both possible and fall under the umbrella of the question here.

History is not an upwards trajectory. Similarly, there is no "right" or "wrong" side of history - history don't give fucks.

Well you can define upwards. The key is not thinking that it happens by some Hegelian mechanism, i.e. that there is not a force that means history must always lead to things getting better, and understanding that one's choice of better is subjective.

I think the world of today is better overall, but hardly in every respect, than the world of the period I study, but that involves a lot of very subjective value calls. I'm totally aware it's not better in any sort of platonic sense.

There are several things that will have to happen first,
One world currency - a sorta bit coin like currency I suppose?

You don't need one currency. States have existed with multiple currencies before.

If there were only two humans left alive, they would probably hate each other. And you think 8+ billion people are going to get along?

Keep dreaming.

woopWOOP

More importantly how would we call this single nation

... This question alone is gonna divide the world back to different nations isn't it

Top Bottom