• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's causing Switch games to be 900p on docked mode instead of 1080p?

Bickle2

Nice use of big words like "outlay" to distract from a bogus premise like somehow $300 becomes $400 or $500 when none of the console manufacturers include games with their 'premium' consoles, and the storage solutions are all equally shitty (but also equally cheap to alleviate) out of the gate. I didn't realize everyone buying a ps4 pro or X got them tax free either.

The only argument here is the Nintendo 'tax' on some games and that's a result of the market saying they're willing to pay it.

I don't know how you can begin to compare a switch to most of the smart phones kids/teens are running around with these days either. Another ridiculous comparison because all of the flagships are minimum $700 and as much as $1k.

Rereading the last two sentences you wrote, I can't tell if you're oblivious to fact you just contradicted yourself or trying to prove some point about Nintendo's fate being sealed.

I was very specific about how much and for what you have to do with the switch. Neither PS4 Pro nor Xbox one ex require the purchase of a memory card. Something that is obviously not optional. The point, which you missed, is that by the time you do all that, the question of whether or not we should just lay out for a modern system can be reasonably asked. If you think that Nintendo has it been trying to go after the kids who want to play on mobile, you haven’t been paying attention to the last two generations of their consoles. They know this is a thing, they know it’s a growing thing in the tractor their business, but they don’t understand it at all. And iPad can usually be purchased for $300, and iPhone can easily be had for around the same, or weigh less because most of them are walking around with mom and dad‘s old phones. A Kindle fire can be had for 50 bucks, and it’s all kids need to play Minecraft.

This is why it doesn't matter:

IMG_20171112_WA0002.jpg

It's on my 4k tv and its big. Still look how beautiful it is and its running on wii.

Do you have a magnifying glass for me?

Of course you'll see it wii vs 4k, but it's not like in your face. But do i rather like n64gfx in 4k or just mario galaxy on wii in 480p. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

https://youtu.be/qAEzQ1PZWK0 show this to some not gamer. They even would say it looks the same.

uyD0DaN.jpg

If you said 900p or even 720p sure, but 480p on a big HD TV? Fuck out of here.

Dark Souls went from 720p to 1080p and maybe texture filtering in the base version of DSFix not sure, and that was a huge difference. Nintendo deals in more "cartoony" graphics, but it's still a giant leap between scaling and native HD.

480p looks terrible on HD Tvs no matter how good the scaler is.

TLZ

Banned
Disappointing and embarrassing, you say? I mean, is it really? Does it actually matter or make any difference, such a minuscule amount?

I think it does not.

Xbox One users used to say the same to justify whatever their reason was, but with the X out now that mask dropped quick and now shitting on the PS4 left, right and center.

Seen it all.

matthewuk

GPU and Bandwith.
I believe the undocked Switch has a bandwith deficiency even compared to Wii U and thats why there are many sub native Switch games

Nintendo traditionally like to have ether really low ram latency or high bandwidth or a mix of both, so it is unusual that ninty just went with a stock x1 without any modifications, some edram or lots of low latency cache would of been nice.

Dakhil

Nintendo traditionally like to have ether really low ram latency or high bandwidth or a mix of both, so it is unusual that ninty just went with a stock x1 without any modifications, some edram or lots of low latency cache would of been nice.

Whilst I do agree it would be nice if the Nintendo Switch has a customised Tegra X1 with some eDRAM or a lot of low latency cache, I imagine it would raise the price of the Nintendo Switch to a price that's tough for consumers to swallow.

And considering Tatsumi Kimishima said Nintendo has no intention of selling the Nintendo Switch at a loss, I imagine it would be very difficult to put a customised Tegra X1 on the Nintendo Switch without making the price uncomfortably high.

But that's just my opinion.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Whilst I do agree it would be nice if the Nintendo Switch has a customised Tegra X1 with some eDRAM or a lot of low latency cache, I imagine it would raise the price of the Nintendo Switch to a price that's tough for consumers to swallow.

And considering Tatsumi Kimishima said Nintendo has no intention of selling the Nintendo Switch at a loss, I imagine it would be very difficult to put a customised Tegra X1 on the Nintendo Switch without making the price uncomfortably high.

But that's just my opinion.

If you ask Apple the iPhone X is not the result of massive profit margins for a company trying to be the first Trillion dollar company in the market, but the result of Greta technology they could not push any further... and I like the phone too :p.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This is the limit of powerful portable console hardware currently. I'm fine with it but I am considering buying a mCable Gaming Edition if it helps clean up the image a lot on the TV.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wonder how much the cost of carts factors into this. I think Zelda was just over 13 gigs saving them from needing to put it on a 32 gig cart. Also smaller games can justify the pathetic 32GB storage.

Top Bottom