• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's So Special About Orange Smarties? [UK, not US Smarties]

moggio

Banned
They're all real. There are many equivalents in the US. Fizzy cola bottles are all over the place. I think Haribo makes them.
My vim does love its fruits.

Haribo fizzy cola bottles are very bad.

Not nearly fizzy enough.

mhayes86

99f1925b9b7db4ea00cee6302319e579.jpg

Necco Wafers are better.

Mmmm. Flavored chalk.

StylusX

Smarties tasted nicer before they changed the recipe, they're not as good as they were in the 80s/90s. Also those new hexagonal tubes can sod off, gimme the old proper ones with the pop-off lid again.

My god. At least tell me they still have the random letter under the lid?

moggio

Banned
nah that would be

Milkyways aren't horrible either.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are meh though :/

I tend to prefer fruity stuff over chocolate so it's not like most of the candy in here appeals to me.

I will stick with the best sucker

and just enjoy those as since I can't actually bite through them they last me a while unlike most other suckers that I just bite through >.>

Also I'd just like to clarify that the American Milky Way is a poor imitation of what we would call a Mars Bar:

mars-bar.jpg

Whilst our Milky Way is this delight:

Milky-Way-UK-Wrapper-Small.jpg

Which is a VERY light vanilla nougat covered in milky milk chocolate.

(I've just eaten three.)

The only good thing about the American candy situation is that it's so bad that at least people should have an easy time of not getting fat

Oh wait
America has some good, unique candy. Reese's, for example. It's kind of taken off in the UK and Ireland, but a lot of the variations still aren't there.

For basic chocolate bars, though, America is trash-tier. And Hershey's tastes like vomit.

openrob

What? No. Smarties.

Smarties-UK-Box-Small.jpg

UK, yeah. Do American ones all have individual flavours?

Do you want to know the fucked up conspiracy?
The SNES had a different form factor in the US.

In the UK the controller buttons look like Smarties.

However the US version's buttons look like US Smarties!!!

Smarties-Smarties+Photo2.jpg

SNES-Controllers-NTSC-and-PAL.jpg

Other good American candy you can't get in the UK/Ireland includes Whatchmacallit (although it's basically a lighter Toffee Crisp), Airheads, Tootsie Roll Pops (although Tootsie Roll itself is meh), York Peppermint Patties (although you could eat After Eights, I guess), and most Wonka candy (and especially Sweet Tarts, Nerds, Nerds ropes).

None of those are without replacement in the UK, but Trolli candy is hard to find over there, and they do good fruit candy shit (the crawlers, the eggs).

In general, American chocolate just isn't worth eating.

They look like Fizzers:

fizzers__03850.jpg

Except Fizzers are nice and fizzy.

Why are American sweets so bad?
Because of the Hershey Cartel, keeping everything Cadbury out of the US and replacing certain Cadbury things with vastly inferior Hershey versions.

Canada has these Smarties from the OP too.

Dishwalla

Banned
Also I'd just like to clarify that the American Milky Way is a poor imitation of what we would call a Mars Bar:

mars-bar.jpg

Whilst our Milky Way is this delight:

Milky-Way-UK-Wrapper-Small.jpg

Which is a VERY light vanilla nougat covered in milky milk chocolate.

(I've just eaten three.)
Hell no, European Milky Ways are nasty, they are pretty much what Americans know 3 Musketeers bars to be. Ate a few overseas on deployment and I vastly prefer our version of the Milky Way. Love to freeze them especially.

Smarties were amazing when they came in actual tubes with the coloured plastic caps with letters on them, then they put them in those cardboard hexagonal (?) tubes, made the blue into some crappy pale blue and made the orange not taste orange for a spell.
The orange ones are orange flavoured again, but the lack of vibrant blue and plastic lids are still dealbreakers.

Giant Smarties were amazing.

Anyway, I've just found this gem of a site.
http://smartiescollector.com/northerntrumpet/The_Smarties_Tube_Gallery.html

antibolo

Banned
Huh, as a Canadian I had absolutely no idea about this US Smarties nonsense, our Smarties here are the real thing (ie. M&M-like, not Rocket-like).

I thought the orange ones were added at a later date and they decided to make them orange flavoured just for the hell of it.

That could be complete bullshit though.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like parody of British words. Is this real?

https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/dip-dabs.html
https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/fizzy-cola-bottles.html (note these are a million times better then the garbage haribo trundles out)
https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/barratts-shrimps.html
https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/refreshers.html

All great, though the king for me is the double dip:

https://www.aquarterof.co.uk/double-original.html

Which is actually triple these days, though the old name persists. The dip stick is also edible and delicious. Sherbet based confectionery is the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest.

Anyone remember in the 90s when for a short period of time a certain colour of smarties - I want to say blue or purple had sunglasses printed on them? Good times man

Also Vimto is amazing I'm northern so it's a staple here

It disgusts me to think people prefer Hershey's to
Nobody does. They just haven't tried the proper stuff.

My (Canadian) friends in Canada always make me fill my suitcase with British chocolate before I go to visit them.

Whenever I visit the US and Canada I'm always shocked at just how poor quality chocolate and sweets are compared to the UK and the rest of Europe. Really cheap and nasty stuff that wouldn't even pass for bargain store quality in the UK. That said, Junior Mints are alright (but have nothing on After Eight mints).

riotous

Banned
The mall near me has 2 giant candy stores inside as well as an Asian store that has a huge selection of imported Asian candy; across the street from it is a World Market that has aisles and aisles of imported candy and I recognize most of the ones in this thread. The grocery store by my house has a large selection of imported European and Asian candy's and dozens of high end local chocolate bars; Or you can visit the actual chocolatiers since they are a few minutes away..or go to one of the numerous Mexican grocery stores for Mexican candy or European specialty stores for European candy. That's all within 10-15 minutes of my suburban home.

I don't know why Europeans are so dead set on convincing themselves that Americans only have access to the things you'd find at a Walmart. I'm dead set on commenting on it in every thread like this though ;) I'm gonna go make some tea in my electric kettle now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
those cardboard tubes are a national disgrace. Getting an empty tube on the side of a table and karate chopping it so the lid would fly off and take someone's eye out was the best.

Jakten

Nobody does. They just haven't tried the proper stuff.

My (Canadian) friends in Canada always make me fill my suitcase with British chocolate before I go to visit them.

Whenever I visit the US and Canada I'm always shocked at just how poor quality chocolate and sweets are compared to the UK and the rest of Europe. Really cheap and nasty stuff that wouldn't even pass for bargain store quality in the UK. That said, Junior Mints are alright (but have nothing on After Eight mints).

The heck, I live in Ontario and we get lots of the same candies as the UK in our stores. I can go to any convenience store and buy a Crunchie, Flake, Dairy Milk, Yorkie, sometimes Twirl... not to mention almost every grocery store having a specific UK section with the remaining stuff like Twirl, Double Decker and Fry's Turkish delight and junk. I actually thought for the longest time Crunchie was a Canadian bar like Coffee Crisp.

MarkusRJR

Wow how have I never noticed the orange Smarties are different flavored?

Also, I weep for Americans's candy situation. Everything seems worse than up here in Canada. Worse Kit Kats, less variety, shitty Smarties. The food in the states makes up for it, but still must suck.

Nothing. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are great

Peanut Butter is great

It's just you know, not the only thing that exists.
I love UK peanut butter, which is savoury in taste and has crunchy peanut bits.

But American peanut butter is disgustingly sweet with added sugar and also oddly smooth.
The heck, I live in Ontario and we get lots of the same candies as the UK in our stores. I can go to any convenience store and buy a Crunchie, Flake, Dairy Milk, Yorkie, sometimes Twirl... not to mention almost every grocery store having a specific UK section with the remaining stuff like Twirl, Double Decker and Fry's Turkish delight and junk. I actually thought for the longest time Crunchie was a Canadian bar like Coffee Crisp.
They live in Calgary. They can get some Cadbury stuff but it's locally produced and doesn't taste anything like the UK stuff apparently. It's not just Cadbury stuff they get me to take over though.

riotous

Banned
I love UK peanut butter, which is savoury in taste and has crunchy peanut bits.

But American peanut butter is disgustingly sweet with added sugar and also oddly smooth.

There's a huge array of peanut butter at my grocery store; at least 6-7 brands that are regional. All variations of smoothness, different nut types, sweet or not sweet.

Seriously what in the world is the deal with these threads? lol

L Thammy

Canadian here, this thread has blown my fucking mind. We have Smarties (the candy-covered chocolate) and I think we have Rockets (the edible chalk) but it's been a while. Is this what it means to live under the Queen's rule?

There's a huge array of peanut butter at my grocery store; at least 6-7 brands that are regional. All variations of smoothness, different nut types, sweet or not sweet.

Seriously what in the world is the deal with these threads? lol
But American peanut butter is made with the discarded foreskins of American babies (or is that your moisturisers?)

Top Bottom