• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's So Special About Orange Smarties? [UK, not US Smarties]

LeleSocho

Banned
No. I want to know why. What's so special about the orange ones? Why don't the green ones taste like mint? Red like strawberry? Purple like purple (purple's a fruit)?

H8cPve7.jpg

Yes Snickers is great when had outside of the US

Tastes like shit in the US though
Lol

I think Snickers (Marathon) is mediocre anywhere. Too nutty and stodgy for my liking. I haven't had one in maybe 15 years or more though. There are just far too many better alternatives to choose from.

I'm a sucker for these now:
IMG_5303.jpg

I wish they still did the banana one :( They replaced it with a rocky road edition but I want banana back.

Red

Nobody does. They just haven't tried the proper stuff.

My (Canadian) friends in Canada always make me fill my suitcase with British chocolate before I go to visit them.

Whenever I visit the US and Canada I'm always shocked at just how poor quality chocolate and sweets are compared to the UK and the rest of Europe. Really cheap and nasty stuff that wouldn't even pass for bargain store quality in the UK. That said, Junior Mints are alright (but have nothing on After Eight mints).
You say no one does, but the majority (vast majority—maybe 4 of every 5 people) I've had try overseas candies have been revolted by it. I brought a big bag of flakes and aeros to work a couple of years ago and I was told they tasted gross, too creamy, not at all like chocolate. Hershey's wax bars have ruined these people.

shink

I didn't even realise they don't have Smarties in the US. I prefer Smarties to M&Ms but didn't know they orange one had a flavour.

LewieP

I saw an episode of Blue Peter where they went to a Smarties factory and confirmed that the orange ones do have a different flavour.

Edit: Smarties are better than regular M&Ms, but peanut butter M&Ms are the daddy.

jobrro

Never noticed the orange flavoring in the Australian Smarties (also chocolate) but they sound sort of like Jaffas.

I don't think I would ever choose Aus Smarties over M&Ms though.

According to the OECD (so we’re only considering developed countries), 28 percent of adults in England have tooth decay. Compare that to a jaw-dropping 92 percent of adults in America with tooth decay. The British should be smiling. 1-0 U.K.

A lower amount of decay means you’re more likely to keep your teeth. Sure enough, British mouths, on average, have almost a whole extra tooth compared to U.S. mouths. (I know, but you should wait until you get home to count them.) 2-0 U.K.

Dental historians, if we could find any, would say these results aren’t surprising. In the U.K. the National Health Service pays for “all clinically necessary treatment” and even non-necessary treatment is heavily subsidized. And America’s dental problem started early: George Washington had just one tooth by the time he became president.​

UK :D

tea%20other.gif

Top Bottom