• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best JRPG that most people don't know about?

Havoc2049

Black Stone Magic & Steel is a surprisingly fun Action-JRPG on the Xbox of all systems. Black Stone plays like a Gauntlet/Baldur's Gate type game, so if you have a gamer buddy to play with, the game is much more fun.

Black Stone Magic & Steel intro and gameplay.

Black_Stone_Magic_%26_Steel.jpg

The Kiseki series is something more people should play, but I think it's reasonably well known.

My recommendation for the thread would be Thousand Arms. The game is just great. It's all old PS1 game but it had everything you need to make a good Jrpg. From a good battle system to interesting characters. It even had pretty good art for the time and a dating sim/ romance element as well that was surprisingly good and not just choose the good options for the cutscene stuff.

Also lol at that bait on the first page.

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure if Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn counts as a JRPG, but it enterained me for far too may hours and has a great deal of critical acclaim. It is also difficult to find anyone who knows what I'm talking about, as it was overshadowed by Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III, which are both very good games that seem to be more well known.

It's still my favorite SRPG of all time.

King Al B

Got to mention Paladin's Quest on the SNES again. I really enjoyed this game when it first came out. I have always wanted to go back and replay it. I think the one thing i remember most is the brutal difficulty spike toward the end. I still got my original copy, i may give it a go this weekend, this thread has inspired me.

Speely

Banned
The grinding though.

Edit: oh wait, I was thinking about Hoshigami

Thanks for mentioning Kartia. I completely forgot about this game until you posted, and memories came flooding back. I remember having a great time with it.

Edit: My submission is Shining Force II. Something about this game enthralled me, and it's still one of my fav games of all time.

Strings

Sick box art. Might check it out for that reason alone.

Thanks for mentioning Kartia. I completely forgot about this game until you posted, and memories came flooding back. I remember having a great time with it.

Edit: My submission is Shining Force II. Something about this game enthralled me, and it's still one of my fav games of all time.

Grumble grumble I'm the one who brought it up grumble grumb--

In all serious, it's awesome to see a bunch of other people who have played it in this thread. I genuinely have no idea why the game has been lost to time, although Wikipedia mentions it was released exclusively as a Blockbuster rental in the US? That might have something to do with it...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
There's so many super obscure RPGs that never got a US release, for systems like SFC, PCE, Saturn and PSP, that never got a US release, that are actually pretty decent.

Some ones I liked are:

Lagrange Point (Famicom) - I will start playing this soon once I'm done with Exist Archive. It's mostly known in the US for the VRC-7 soundchip which sounds incredible. They even released a vinyl which I picked up the other day. But the actual game is pretty good, too. Attractive graphics and a sci-fi setting undoubtedly influenced by Phantasy Star... One of the best 8-bit RPGs from what I've played.

Startling Odyssey 2 (PC Engine CD) - very large sprites and smooth scrolling graphics, is one of the few PCE RPGs to get to nearly SNES level of graphical quality.

Farland Story (Saturn) - a strategy RPG with really goofy looking CG-rendered super deformed characters, and some really screechy sound effects. It's similar to Fire Emblem but not nearly as punishing, my friend who sucks at SRPGs and doesn't know much Japanese managed to make it pretty far. But what's really incredible is that the series has something like 12 entries (mostly for the PC-88/PC-98 and even J-WIN) and not one got released here!

Verne World (SFC) - I haven't played this very much but it gets points for originality... an RPG set in an amusement park based on the works of Jules Verne.

Far East of Eden series (PC Engine, Saturn, SFC, even Xbox 360) - Probably the best known of all the RPGs whose series have never seen a single game in English. (Except for Kabuki Klash, a fighting game spinoff for Neo Geo/Arcade). Manjimaru and The Apocalypse: IV being the standouts. Incredible production values for their time (voice acting, anime cutscenes) and a really goofy, parody-infested storyline that contrasts with some sadder scenes.

Linkle Liver Story (Saturn) - A 2D action RPG made by the same people who made Crusader of Centy (see below). Starring a bunch of furries. Really nice music and colorful visuals, but a bit more slowdown than you'd expect with a 2D game on the 2D powerhouse Saturn.

And for English-released RPGs:

CIMA: The Enemy (GBA) - A prototypical tower defense game that plays in an isometric style. It's made by Neverland of Lufia fame. A train gets sucked into an alien world and your character has to lead the passengers to freedom, while defending them from enemies. Crappy pathfinding AI hurts what is an otherwise somber and melancholic journey.

Exile (Turbo CD, Genesis) - a mixture of overhead town exploration and sidescrolling action dungeons, great music that's sort of a cross between Arabic and 90's house music. Game is set during the Crusades and you play an Arab warrior named Sadler and journey to ancient Greece, Japan, India... there's some knights templar stuff in it but the story is kinda confusing. In the Japanese version, narcotics heal you.

Crusader of Centy (Genesis) - probably the most expensive English Genesis game, lucky me I scored it CIB for about $65 back in the day. It's published by Atlus, and it's basically a Genesis take on LTTP. Except you lose the ability to communicate with humans at one point in the story, and can only talk to monsters and animals. You also get a bunch of animal helpers to use to solve puzzles in the dungeon, and it has a Sonic cameo. It's a short game but very enjoyable.

And yeah, OP, Robotrek is sick...

Speely

Banned
Sick box art. Might check it out for that reason alone.

Grumble grumble I'm the one who brought it up grumble grumb--

In all serious, it's awesome to see a bunch of other people who have played it in this thread. I genuinely have no idea why the game has been lost to time, although Wikipedia mentions it was released exclusively as a Blockbuster rental in the US? That might have something to do with it...

Oh shit!! Sorry! Respect due :) A really great game and a perfect one for this topic.

HotHamBoy

In This Thread: Every JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest is obscure
which may be true

Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are games I've always wanted to play but just never did. Might have to repurchase a PS2 some day. I don't know if my laptop could run them but it seems like a hassle either way.

Fou-Lu

In This Thread: Every JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest is obscure
which may be true

Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are games I've always wanted to play but just never did. Might have to repurchase a PS2 some day. I don't know if my laptop could run them but it seems like a hassle either way.

It is worth any amount of hassle and cost to play two of the best games of all time. Well, more so Covenant, but you need to play Shadow Hearts first for Covenant to make sense and pay off. It still is an amazing game too.

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm skipping all the old stuff. By now people should know about them. Come on -- stuff like Dragon Force was well known by anyone who cared back then.

I nominate Stella Glow. An excellent SRPG that isn't a cakewalk, but also doesn't bog you down with systems and mechanics. Straight-forward and a JOY to play.

KSS8ai8.jpg

Dremorak

Banned
Xenoblade is by far my favourite rpg of all time, but nowadays I think a lot of people know about it so instead I will agree with whoever posted:

Terranigma
cover_large.jpg

One of those games thats best to go in blind, within the first 3 hours or so you will see part of what makes this game special. The combat seems kind of simple at first, but as you go on you get into a groove with it and it becomes quite fun.

You are not fooling anyone with that Secret of the Stars name drop man, OP asking for good games, not coffee coasters
I'm one of the most easy to please jrpg fans but damn was that one a slog. I think I lasted only a couple hours and realized I hadn't had any fun. Miserable production values and a piss poor translation. Not to mention the loudest "text scroll" noise I've ever heard. I hate calling any game trash but if there was ever a candidate it would be this. I guess the Tecmo RPG series of games never took off beyond Secret of the Stars.

Oh and the final boss was mistranslated as Homnicruise. Supposed to be humunculous.

Summon_Night_-_Swordcraft_Story_Coverart.png

Sum2.png

I randomly stumbled across the Summon Night games as Gamestop was clearancing out their GBA titles years back. Excellent art style, Tales like combat, and weapon crafting. Best $4 I'd ever spent.

Finally some obscurities have emerged from this topic, that Xbox Action RPG looks cool as hell, I want that now. Koudelka and Knights in the Nightmare are solid picks. Not because Koudelka is a great game, mind you, but is basically the sum of its parts, the atmosphere and storyline is strong in that one to offset the weak battle system. Knights in the Nightmare is a great game though, more people should try it out.
I think I actually enjoy the more niche, unknown JRPGs than I do the actual well known ones like FF, DQ etc.

Here's some of my picks anyway:

screenshot6.jpg

Growlanser series (PSX/PS2/PSP) - Still the best work from the same guys who would later create the Devil Survivor series and previously made the Langrisser series. Very talented (and underrated) team of developers. This series on the surface just looks like your usual anime JRPG but actually playing them tells a very different story. Some of the best combat and design I've seen in any JRPGs. The combat scenarios get intense. Fans of tough JRPGs with tactical gameplay will love these. I think Wayfarer of Time is the best game on the system and possibly the most underrated JRPG I've ever played.

00_gungnir_screenshot_06.jpg

Gungnir (PSP)

I love games from the developer Sting and I think this might be my favourite. Fans of Tactics Ogre and FFT should check it out. Came out right at the end of the PSPs life in NA/EU and ultimately was forgotten about. It's pretty hardcore with its difficulty throughout and is made for those wanting a more challenging SRPG with experience in the genre. Also the story is morose and bittersweet, which was a surprise considering the art style conveyed on the cover.

generation-of-chaos-pandoras-reflection-2-e1361207302525.jpg

Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (PSP)

Another Sting game, another obscurity. This game was like the perfect storm of Ogre Battle (base conquering) meets a rhythm based combat system. Plus the visual style is psychedelic and gothic as hell. Really fun game, one of the very last RPG releases on the system.

latest

Black Rock Shooter (PSP)

Possibly the only Imageepoch game I've enjoyed playing. An Action RPG that is light on the "RPG" but really one of the best "Action" games for the system. Combat system is fun enough throughout and was short and sweet.

rondo-of-swords-20080320031145559.jpg

Rondo of Swords (Nintendo DS)

Definitely one of the toughest SRPGs I've ever played but ultimately one of the best on the DS. Once you get into it, it'll stick with you until you finish it and provides a really interesting twists on the SRPG formula with its puzzle like gameplay as opposed to the usual take on the genre. Sadly forgotten and obscure. From the same devs as The Dark Spire, another obscure JRPG on the system that I have not played yet.

16588264009_37b5daf33a_b.jpg

Lost Dimension (Vita/PS3)

This game is all forgotten about now. I thought this was a really solid turn based/action hybrid RPG that used positional strategy gameplay well and was a fun game to play. Fans of RPGs with hybrid systems should enjoy this game from former members of Atlus (including those who made Strange Journey). Very underrated, imo.

large.jpg

Mercenaries Saga 2 (3DS)

A surprisingly good FFT/TO clone that is cheap off the 3DS eShop (cost me like a fiver). Even with its bargainous price, the game is long and the game has good depth to it. I am looking forward to getting the next game in the series as well. If you're in the mood for a FFT like game, you can do a lot worse.

We actually tried this 7 years ago. JRPGs which most people probably REALLY never heard of.

Dark Half: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392608
Radia Wars: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393743
Emerald Dragon: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394886
Oriental Blue: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963706

It died after that because as it turns out, no one really cares about games they never heard of!

I plan to play Dark Half at some point for sure, since it sounds fantastic and only just recently got a fan translation into English.

DSix

Banned
Alcahest on SNES

hqdefault.jpg

Made by HAL Laboratories and published by Square in 1993.

It almost got released in the states, but alas the SNES was on the way out and Square lost interest in bringing it over after 1994.

SNES--Alcahest_Jun7%208_42_15.png

It's an amazing action-RPG and there's a pretty good fan translation floating around.

Man this is one awesome thread. Can't really add anything worthwhile after 300 posts of obscure but good JRPG but I'm definitely subscribing and I will check out this thread when I'm looking for a new JRPG to play.

I'm skipping all the old stuff. By now people should know about them. Come on -- stuff like Dragon Force was well known by anyone who cared back then.

I nominate Stella Glow. An excellent SRPG that isn't a cakewalk, but also doesn't bog you down with systems and mechanics. Straight-forward and a JOY to play.

KSS8ai8.jpg

Yup, really good! Made my GOTY list....

It has gotten some love in this thread already and they're not super obscure but I still think the Shadow Hearts series (including Koudelka) are still more underrated than they deserve to be. Covenant is one of the best JRPGs of all time hands down. Koudelka, while not all that hot gameplaywise, still has some of the best writing and atmosphere in a JRPG; it also has some surprisingly high quality English voice-acting considering it was a PS1 JRPG.

Another major reason I think they're still kind of obscure that there's like zero chance of them ever being rereleased on something like PSN or Steam. So you either have to track down original hard copies or emulate them.

I really miss the series, there's just been nothing like Shadow Hearts since.

Kazer

Does Secret of Evermore count?

If not, how about The 7th Saga. Not the best game, but one of the more obscure titles I know I owned as a kid.

12826101_781582655305922_1211158062_n.jpg

Silver on the Dreamcast was such a fun adventure... and have never seen another soul mention it. Was it the GOAT...no, but it was fun real-time comabat and had a great story that sucked you.

Edit: Just saw tat "J" in JRPG.... which this is not..... SHAME!!

Yea although not JRPG I loved silver. Remember young me getting destroyed by werewolves and struggling with real time combat and a wheel item selection menu system. Man I loved that game. May have to dig it out from the loft. :)

While I wouldn't say it's the best, Magical Starsign is a great game that very few people seem to know about - doesn't seem to be on many lists of obscure JRPGs worth checking out either.
It's got a pretty cool gameplay mechanic involving movement of the planets effecting the strength of your abilities, which you can manipulate later in the game

In the UK at least you can easily get it new for under £5, I actually only found out about it by looking for hecka cheap DS games to take travelling. Really enjoyed my time with it.

jackal27

Banned
tactics ogre

pretty much the origin of tactical rpgs (discounting fire emblem but i don't enjoy them all that much so they don't count) and still the best one

psp remake is excellent and makes it even better than the original
Oh man, this is the answer right here. I'm going to step out and say any Matsuno game. Crimson Shroud is stil probably my favorite 3DS game for the atmosphere and creativity alone.

Ha, haven't heard that name in a while. I worked on the advertising for Grandia. I wouldn't exactly call it obscure as it spawned several titles, but the first game came to PS late (it was a Saturn port) in 1999. By then, sprite-based JRPGs were a bit passé for the mainstream audience and it came out a month after FF8, so I think it got passed over. It's a shame they couldn't get it out sooner.

The game systems were a bit unique for the time, like the leveling up of skills based on weapon used. Also if I remember it had a pretty good English localization (though not great VA).

I remember that bring great back in the day along with wild arms and breath of fire. Not really unknown though.

orborborb

the only underrated JRPGs are Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 13, Dragon Quest 2, and Grandia 3

every other JRPG is overrated to some extent (though Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 9, Suikoden 2, and Xenogears are the least overrated)

Not knowing about Xenogears it's like not knowing about the genre.
I know of it but it never existed in the UK. I remember wanting it as a teenager but importing back then was silly money not to mention difficult if you didn't straight up by an Na Ps.

Top Bottom